PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Doeberl Cup

Ian Rout
15-01-2004, 07:32 AM
The Italo-Australian Club 42nd Doeberl Cup is on at Easter (Friday 9 to Monday 12 April). Some information supplied by the organisers can be found at

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/miscellaneous/2004DoeberlCupInfo.htm

(or go to http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/ and follow the link).

I'm just the intermediary so don't ask me difficult questions, see the above address for details on entries, contacts etc.

Most details are the same as previous years but two changes are that the Premier is restricted to players rated over 1600, and the organisers are hoping to have the top board on-line.

Commentator
15-01-2004, 08:08 AM
The Italo-Australian Club 42nd Doeberl Cup is on at Easter (Friday 9 to Monday 12 April). Some information supplied by the organisers can be found at

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/miscellaneous/2004DoeberlCupInfo.htm

(or go to http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/ and follow the link).

I'm just the intermediary so don't ask me difficult questions, see the above address for details on entries, contacts etc.

The site says
"Players must be members of their State association, or must join ACTCA. "

How do Victorians normally meet this clause? Only Clubs are members of CV. :?

C

shaun
15-01-2004, 08:13 AM
The site says
"Players must be members of their State association, or must join ACTCA. "

How do Victorians normally meet this clause? Only Clubs are members of CV. :?

C

They can't and therefore their entries will be refused, unless a special General Meeting is called before Easter and the CV membership scheme is changed to something sensible. :^o

Ian Rout
15-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Previously I expect the organisers have deemed a member of a VCA-affiliated club to meet the intent of this provision, but if the MCC dispute had not been resolved this could have been an interesting point.

Of course there is plenty of time for another argument to flare up.

arosar
15-01-2004, 09:03 AM
I'm so excited! I've got me plane ticket booked. This will be my first Doeberl. I hope ACT people will be hospitable and have good vibes. Unlike 'em bloody Victorians! :)

AR

ursogr8
15-01-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm so excited! I've got me plane ticket booked. This will be my first Doeberl. I hope ACT people will be hospitable and have good vibes. Unlike 'em bloody Victorians! :)

AR

arosar,
ChessGuru has already advised you that you are welcome to be a party-starter.

Arosar – partying/dancing I will have to admit is going to be difficult to come by .. .
So, arosar, would you be interested in being on a social committee to get more social things going? I’d be happy to have the help!

ACT hospitality? We are reading the entry rules to see if Mexicans can get into the Doeberl. :shock:

starter

arosar
15-01-2004, 12:09 PM
I was only joking matey. I had in mind fg7 who always seems to give off bad vibes.

Anyways, that business about entry rules is partly your fault ain't it?

AR

ursogr8
15-01-2004, 12:23 PM
I was only joking matey. I had in mind fg7 who always seems to give off bad vibes.

Anyways, that business about entry rules is partly your fault ain't it?

AR

AR
You would be welcome in Melbourne 'arosar'. But that may just be meta-talk. ;)

The business about the entry rules is not even at the level of a storm in a tea-cup. I am sure that ACT will let us in.
Partly our fault?
Probably. Let's face it, we did build a rail-line to Albury only to find you coming with a different gauge. We shoulda realised what was coming. :oops:

starter

chesslover
15-01-2004, 08:45 PM
One day I would love to play in the Doberl :(

I am a commited christian and so each easter i have to go to church and remember Jesus

If only Doberl was played in an another long weekend... ;)

peanbrain
16-01-2004, 10:08 PM

I am a commited christian and so each easter i have to go to church and remember Jesus

where in the bible did god tell you not to play weekend chess?? 8-[

chesslover
16-01-2004, 11:14 PM

err...church, bible study, medidation over the Easter week....

no time for chess while I am doing all of these

shaun
17-01-2004, 07:56 PM

Of course if ChessLover really was a committed Xtian, rather than just being a big hairy thing that lives under a bridge and scares unwary travellers, then he would have been able to point Peanbrain to the 4th commandment "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."

Rincewind
17-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Of course if ChessLover really was a committed Xtian, rather than just being a big hairy thing that lives under a bridge and scares unwary travellers, then he would have been able to point Peanbrain to the 4th commandment "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."

Of course that would probably rule out all weekenders, not just he Doeberl. ;)

chesslover
18-01-2004, 10:52 AM

That was uncalled for, and nasty :x . I am not hairy at all (unless you call my hair on my head hairy - but even then it is cut short), and I do not live under the bridge (I have a house), and I dont know what you are talking about as I really would not scare unwary travellers..

Now can we get bck to the topic - which was the Doberl Cup?

PS - it is only the Jews, and some christrian groups like the 7 day adventists, that observe the sabbath. Not much of a christian are you, not knowing this?

paulb
18-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Actually, ChessLover, Jesus himself was fairly hairy fellow, judging by all the Hollywood movies of him that I've seen. And i think that's fairly plausible: after all, when you've got only a couple of years to save the world I doubt that shaving was one of his priorities. So don't know worry about that three-day growth - it's not sinful. (For that matter, Jesus is also the sort of bloke who seemed to enjoy a tipple: wine features fairly prominently iin the Gospel. Maybe if they'd have had TAB's in those days he would have laid a couple of bets, as well. )

Jesus, I imagine, would have looked a fair bit like Bin Laden :). Or Yasser Arafat :) Maybe even Saddam Hussein, but with the moustache a little ragged. Certainly much more like them than the suspiciously "fair" types leading Israel these days (something's not kosher, I suspect). If he'd been around today, no doubt Jesus's the sort of guy who'd be stopped at the airport and asked to justify himself. Apparently, having a beard is a risk factor for terrorism, according to the sophisticated folk at US airports.

And ChessLover I think you should apologise to ShaunPress for those hurtful remarks questioning his christian credentials. :evil: :shock:

jenni
18-01-2004, 11:55 AM

The 2 are not incompatible - the morning of Good Friday is free, so allowing attendence at church services and the round on Saturday finishes early enough to allow participation at services that evening. Sunday morning is a bit of a problem for those branches of the Christian faith who do not have Saturday evening services.

Ian Rout
18-01-2004, 01:16 PM
I recall that the practice has been for Christians (or anyone else) to be allowed half-point byes for the Sunday morning round, though you would want to check that with the organisers.

Incidentally as the person who started this thread I would prefer that those who want to turn it into yet another in the series on "100 Reasons Why Christians Are Better/Worse Than Atheists" adjourn to the off-topic section, so that this thread can be used for stuff that more than three people want to read.

arosar
18-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Look CL, the Bible is pretty clear. The book of Ecclesiastes tells us:

"A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry." (8:15)

One would suppose that 'merry' includes such passions as chess, for instance. You need to get out more man. To be at one with your brethren chess players - you are at one with God.

AR

shaun
18-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Incidentally as the person who started this thread I would prefer that those who want to turn it into yet another in the series on "100 Reasons Why Christians Are Better/Worse Than Atheists" adjourn to the off-topic section, so that this thread can be used for stuff that more than three people want to read.

Indeed. I apologise for encouraging it to go off-topic, although it was Chesslovers attempts to deflect attention from the fact that he has been identified as a garden variety troll that has really sent it in that direction.

Rincewind
18-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Indeed. I apologise for encouraging it to go off-topic, although it was Chesslovers attempts to deflect attention from the fact that he has been identified as a garden variety troll that has really sent it in that direction.

Yes, me too. Shaun's lead-in was just too tempting a opportunity to leave unanswered.

Still, some useful comments were made regarding arrangements that can be made for particiants with religious observance obligations, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Who knows, you might just get one extra payer this year. Look for a player with long teeth, eyes the size of saucepans and a taste for goat flesh. ;)

Ian Rout
18-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Still, some useful comments were made regarding arrangements that can be made for particiants with religious observance obligations, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting the topic of worship v chess was inappropriate for a thread on an Easter tournament. That part is obviously relevant. I was getting my retaliation in first for the 300 posts that were about to spin off involving neither chess nor the Doeberl Cup.

As far as moving the Doeberl goes it isn't an option even if there was the will, since there are Class 3 events in Sydney on the Queen's Birthday, Labour Day and Australia Day, Anzac Day is not necessarily a weekend, New Years is the Aust Champs/Open and Christmas has the same issue.

chesslover
18-01-2004, 10:39 PM

Yes, I wasn't suggesting the topic of worship v chess was inappropriate for a thread on an Easter tournament. That part is obviously relevant. I was getting my retaliation in first for the 300 posts that were about to spin off involving neither chess nor the Doeberl Cup.

As far as moving the Doeberl goes it isn't an option even if there was the will, since there are Class 3 events in Sydney on the Queen's Birthday, Labour Day and Australia Day, Anzac Day is not necessarily a weekend, New Years is the Aust Champs/Open and Christmas has the same issue.

1.Yes fair point. I was not meaning to take this thread off topic, so apologies :oops: .

2. But good to know that you can get a half point for Sunday morning.

3. Yes I accept that that the Doberl will be played in easter. Like you stated there is no other suitable dates

Trent Parker
21-01-2004, 03:56 PM

AR

I intend on going to my first Doeberl Cup as Well! I'll probably catch the train down. ACT people I find are hospitable but the public transport sometimes dispicable!

Ian Rout
21-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Unfortunately the bad news is that it only gets more scarce at Easter.

Oepty
29-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Shaun. Observance of Sabbath day is not something the NT teaches and is not required of Christians today. There is no real teaching in the Bible that indicates that Christians must meet on Sunday either, I believe any day of the week would do. Despite this I attend a church that meets every Sunday and therefore I believe I should meet with the Church every Sunday if possible. There is one passage in the Bible that indicates that Christians should make every attempt to meet with fellow Christians, Hebrews 10:25 which starts off "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is". I feel I would be breaking this if I decided to play chess instead of going to church.
Scott

Oepty
29-01-2004, 10:44 AM
arosar. That is a complete misquote. In Ecclesiastes when the phrase under the sun is used, it is talking about those who don't believe in God. For those who don't believe in God well you might as well try and enjoy your time alive because it is the only life you will have, unlike those who follow God.
Scott

chesslover
30-01-2004, 05:44 PM
For those who don't believe in God well you might as well try and enjoy your time alive because it is the only life you will have, unlike those who follow God.
Scott

I wont say anything more on this thread, as it may arouse the wrath of Ian for being a religious post :p

However keep up your faith, and it is good to know that there are other christians who play chess - reading the BB and the amount of derision and contempt that we have from the athesist posters here, sometimes you feel as if you are a nutcase for believing on Jesus

arosar
12-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Hello ACT peeps. You reckon you could recommend some other places near the Italo club...like around the Manuka or Kingston area or anywhere within sorta walking distance. Cheers boys.

jenni only gave the forrest inn but they're a bit pricey.

AR

PHAT
12-02-2004, 06:46 PM
A swuave bastard like you should be able to lob into one of the local meat markets and pull a bed warmer for three nights.

Ian Rout
13-02-2004, 12:54 PM
There are a number of other alternatives listed at the Doeberl information page

I don't know any of them well so somebody else might like to offer recommendations, but I can say that of those which mention prices two of the cheapest, the City Walk and the Backpackers, which are in Civic, are definitely not within easy walking distance (except for Olympic walkers) - though the really keen could perhaps do it. The Youth Hostel is probably also cheap but also not walkable. All of those would however be a short drive for car poolers.

jenni
13-02-2004, 05:34 PM
I've had a look at the really cheap one in Kingston (the one in Dawes St) on my street directory. It is within reasonable walking distance of the venue. I think I could walk it in about 1/2 hour or less and I am not particularly fast. Kingston has lots of pubs and restaurants so quite a nice area to be.

I don't think you'll find much around Manuka that is cheap, but I could be wrong. Manuka is in the heart of Canberra's most expensive real estate. Houses go there for between 1 and 2 million and while that probably does not sound expensive to big city people, for little country Canberra, they are pretty breath taking prices.

ursogr8
16-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Is there anyone from the Doeberl Cup organising committee who can give data on how effective the EARLY BIRD discount has been in previous years.
I notice that this year the discount is $20 FULL (which is 20% of the entry fee) and is available up to a week before the event.

starter

ps Any other tournament organisers got comparable data?

shaun
16-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Is there anyone from the Doeberl Cup organising committee who can give data on how effective the EARLY BIRD discount has been in previous years.
I notice that this year the discount is $20 FULL (which is 20% of the entry fee) and is available up to a week before the event.

starter

ps Any other tournament organisers got comparable data?

It varies from between 50% to 66% of entries being sent in early. Paul Dunn knows the actual figures but I'm pretty sure it has never fallen below 50% of entries being submitted in advance.
It helps us in two ways. Firstly we can do a substantial amount of tournament organisation in advance eg Entering names into the computer, having reciepts ready, publicity etc. Secondly it commits players to turning up ie waking up on Friday and deciding they can't be bothered.
Of course we have to deal with the players who didn't enter early trying to score the discount anyway. My favourite excuse came a few years ago when a player asked for the discount for he and his friend using the excuse "we only decided yesterday to enter the tournament". I'm not sure what mental process went on to dream that one up, and I didn't even bother to find out.

firegoat7
17-02-2004, 09:07 PM
straight of the press wrote:
Of course we have to deal with the players who didn't enter early trying to score the discount anyway. My favourite excuse came a few years ago when a player asked for the discount for he and his friend using the excuse "we only decided yesterday to enter the tournament". I'm not sure what mental process went on to dream that one up, and I didn't even bother to find out.

I will claim that one. That was Dragic and me and a damn fine bit of wrangling that was. Paul Dunn gave us the discount thank goodness, no questions asked seemed happy to have people competing. As for SP well, yeah you did roll your eyes and try and argue against the decision, but nevertheless let us in.

Just for the record. We were both extremely financially cash strapped students/unemployed and spent most of our money on a one way bus fare and one nights accomodation. I say one nights because we could not afford three at the time. Now that was another classic life story. I remember Johnny Bolens giving us a classic bit of advice "There this disco near civic centre that is 24 hours if you hide in the corner and cover yourself with a coat nobody will notice and you can get a couple of hours sleep."

Anyway I can reliably inform you the mental process was.... we cannot afford to go to Canberra, hey what the hell lets go anyway things will work themselves out.

Cheers FG7

BroadZ
19-02-2004, 08:45 PM
just for the ppl out there lookin for a warm, safe, cheap place to stay the night, theres some small hotels near the venue - which dont seem to listed anywhere - found em last year, theres a whole line of em for less than $30 a night

skip to my lou
19-02-2004, 11:53 PM
:eek:

arosar
20-02-2004, 08:21 AM
just for the ppl out there lookin for a warm, safe, cheap place to stay the night, theres some small hotels near the venue - which dont seem to listed anywhere - found em last year, theres a whole line of em for less than $30 a night

Could you give us more info mate - like names fo these establishments and, preferably, contact numbers?

AR

jenni
20-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Could you give us more info mate - like names fo these establishments and, preferably, contact numbers?

AR

Hmm - suspicious Amiel. I reckon he might be referring to taxis - "a whole line of 'em", although I don't think you could hire a taxi for a night. Still maybe I am doing him an injustice and he has found a new source of cheap accommodation.

antichrist
20-02-2004, 04:29 PM

The Sydney Easter Cup is only played on Easter Saturday and Monday so pick up thy bed and walk

PHAT
20-02-2004, 07:18 PM
A swuave bastard like you should be able to lob into one of the local meat markets and pull a bed warmer for three nights. ....

arosar
18-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Oi...was talking to me mate Jose last night and I just realised that I've got me transport and accomm sorted out but I haven't actually entered! Possible to enter on day?

AR

Ian Rout
18-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Oi...was talking to me mate Jose last night and I just realised that I've got me transport and accomm sorted out but I have actually entered! Possible to enter on day?

AR

Yes but not financially advisable. See

to download an entry form.

arosar
18-03-2004, 09:34 AM
You guys accept money order at all?

AR

Ian Rout
18-03-2004, 10:58 AM
You guys accept money order at all?

AR
Don't know (though I don't see why not) as I'm not on the committee. I've sent you a PM with Paul's e-mail (or try Roger if that one's no longer valid).

arosar
18-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Ok thanks mate. I just spoke to Roger actually. You people down there are very friendly. I just hope Mrs Oliver's as friendly. She's always havin' a go at me that woman.

AR

jenni
18-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Ok thanks mate. I just spoke to Roger actually. You people down there are very friendly. I just hope Mrs Oliver's as friendly. She's always havin' a go at me that woman.

AR

I'm always very nice :)

PHAT
18-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Oi...was talking to me mate Jose last night and I just realised that I've got me transport and accomm sorted out

Amiel Escabano :lol:

Garvinator
18-03-2004, 11:58 PM
I'm always very nice :)
im sure some ppl who have posted on junior threads would disagree ;)

jenni
19-03-2004, 07:48 AM
im sure some ppl who have posted on junior threads would disagree ;)

But not face to face - BB's are different......

Kerry Stead
19-03-2004, 10:14 AM
But not face to face - BB's are different......
Just compare Matt Sweeney for an example of this ... particularly in the days of the old BB before he joined the NSWCA council :eek: ... Bill and the council have mellowed him out a bit ... but before then, he was a raving lunatic - somewhat different from his face-to-face demeanour. :lol:

Alan Shore
20-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Not to mention Mr Stead face-to-face.. scary guy :P

Kerry Stead
21-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Not to mention Mr Stead face-to-face.. scary guy :P
:hand:
That's one strike for you Mr Dickinson! :evil:

arosar
25-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Hi all nice ACT people! I'm arriving in your territory early on the 8 Apr. You gots any restaurants/activities/events/exhibits to recommend?

Cheers,

AR

Bill Gletsos
25-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi all nice ACT people! I'm arriving in your territory early on the 8 Apr. You gots any restaurants/activities/events/exhibits to recommend?

Cheers,

AR
Don't publicise this too much or you may cause a stampede out of the ACT over Easter. :lol: :lol:

jenni
27-03-2004, 03:56 PM

Cheers,

AR

The War memorial is one of the popular places to visit. I love Questacon - sort of like the Powerhouse museum, but smaller and more interactive. I haven't been to the National Museum of Australia but it is supposed to be worth a vist. Of course there is always Parliament house.

As far as restaurants go, I haven't been to much in years, except children friendly ones. Go to Manuka or Kingston - have quite a lively restaurant scene. Manuka looks very inviting at night with all the restaurants spilling out onto the pavements.

Here is a map for Canberra

http://www.arta.com.au/actmaps/canberra.html

map 9 shows the war memorial (marked as 11)

map 14 shows parliament house and Manuka and the venue for Doeberl is half way between.

here is a website for working out bus routes and times if you need them.

http://www.canberraconnect.act.gov.au/transroadstraffic/transport/roadtransport/action.html

(Click on “route” and then “route finder”)

arosar
29-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks very much jenni.

I been to both Parliaments and war memorial (back in high-school days). I'm actually staying at Victor Lodge - so I should be good for restaurants. Problem is I think they might close on Easter. :( Now, for a social hob-nobbing type like yourself - it's a bit surprising that you don't go to restaurants).

See you then!

AR

Ian Rout
29-03-2004, 10:21 AM
I don't think you'll have a problem with restauarants being closed around Kingston and Manuka. The footpath is just about impassable due to beautiful people being seen dining in Manuka at Doeberl time.

arosar
29-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Well then . . . I should blend in quite nicely!

AR

jenni
29-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Now, for a social hob-nobbing type like yourself - it's a bit surprising that you don't go to restaurants

AR

We don't have parents in town and we weren't prepared to leave the kids with strangers, so it severely limits your going out options. Now of course we have our freedom again, but after 12 years of saying no to dinner invitations, people stop asking you!

(We never were the social hobnobbing types anyway. )

We did go to a nice Spanish restuarant in Manuka, called Legends a few months ago, with some friends, which is when I noticed the night life in Manuka. It always was the home of a few good restaurants, but the number seems to have exploded.

Davidflude
01-04-2004, 07:48 PM
A quick check around the Box Hill Chess Club indicates that many of our members will be playing. (I am unable to come this year.) It is a long drive to
Canberra and I have travelled on the XPT in previous years.

Fludy

shaun
01-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Advance entries are already past the 100 mark and are running about 20% ahead of last year. Hopefully another record entry :)

chesslover
01-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Advance entries are already past the 100 mark and are running about 20% ahead of last year. Hopefully another record entry :)

whatz the record number dude?

are you putting something special this year to attract people??????

Bill Gletsos
01-04-2004, 10:53 PM
whatz the record number dude?

are you putting something special this year to attract people??????
Its 210 from last year I believe.

chesslover
01-04-2004, 11:01 PM
Its 210 from last year I believe.

tks Bill mate

how do u remember these numbers? :confused:

but i think u r right dude. It was something like over 200 my mate said too

you playing this year mate?

shaun
06-04-2004, 11:13 AM
As of close of mail yesterday, entries were just short of the 160 mark. Hopefully plenty more will enter on the day :)

ursogr8
06-04-2004, 11:41 AM
tks Bill mate

how do u remember these numbers? :confused:

but i think u r right dude. It was something like over 200 my mate said too

you playing this year mate?

I draw the ADMINs attention to the fact that since they played around with titles the board seems be getting handles wrong too.
Surely this post should not have the CL handle?

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2004, 03:08 PM
I draw the ADMINs attention to the fact that since they played around with titles the board seems be getting handles wrong too.
Surely this post should not have the CL handle?
That is the correct handle.
CL asked the original question. I responded and CL replied.
It is simply CL talking like AR in an attempt to confuse people.

ursogr8
06-04-2004, 03:35 PM
That is the correct handle.
CL asked the original question. I responded and CL replied.
It is simply CL talking like AR in an attempt to confuse people.

Bill, Bill
I knew that. I was just raising a flag to say CL seems to be back (last posted 3 April 10.45pm).
And of course AR has been welcomed back.

Can't find the tongue-in cheek emoticon. Which would have been relevant in your view?

starter

Paul S
06-04-2004, 04:38 PM
As of close of mail yesterday, entries were just short of the 160 mark. Hopefully plenty more will enter on the day :)

Sounds like there may well be a record turnout for this year's Doeberl (BTW, I recently made a decision to be there). The more the merrier!

P.S. Shaun, I sent you a PM last Friday, which (according to my records), you have not yet seen - I suggest you check your Inbox! See you on Friday, Shaun (and other "Doeberl identities").

arosar
07-04-2004, 02:10 PM
quick question: a coupla of me mates are comin' down to Canberra for some blitz tourn on Sunday. Is there such an event?

Also, is it possible for 2000+ player to play in majors? Me mate doesn't wanna play in Open but wants to play in Majors.

AR

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2004, 02:20 PM
quick question: a coupla of me mates are comin' down to Canberra for some blitz tourn on Sunday. Is there such an event?
There is a blitz tournament held at the same venue on the Saturday evening not the sunday

Also, is it possible for 2000+ player to play in majors? Me mate doesn't wanna play in Open but wants to play in Majors.
What sort of goose would they be. The major is an U2000 tournament and not some sort of Reserves so how could a 2000+ player possibly play.

arosar
07-04-2004, 02:42 PM
. . . so how could a 2000+ player possibly play.

By the possibility of an exception you goose! The word 'possibly' was inserted precisely to explore this option. If it is not available, then so be it.

Anyway, one of these two blokes is a past winner of a division in Doeberl. I did encourage them to go to Doeberl but they will be forced into the Open and they don't want that. They're playing in Easter Cup instead.

AR

Rincewind
07-04-2004, 02:45 PM
By the possibility of an exception you goose! The word 'possibly' was inserted precisely to explore this option. If it is not available, then so be it.

What's your mate's exceptional circumstance to warrant this exception?

arosar
07-04-2004, 02:48 PM
What's your mate's exceptional circumstance to warrant this exception?

I've no bloody idea. Can't say I agree with his choices/actions. Just thought I'd ask the question.

AR

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Why would some goose be given an exception.
In fact can you name any actual tournament that has a rating limit cut-off that allows players above that limit to compete.

Ian Rout
07-04-2004, 03:10 PM
It's not my decision bit I would be astonished if this were permitted. Even if a player offered to play on condition of being ineligible for prizemoney his participation would affect others.

PS: Bring a jumper, weather is cool but not cold yet.

Kerry Stead
07-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Why would some goose be given an exception.
In fact can you name any actual tournament that has a rating limit cut-off that allows players above that limit to compete.
Actually the NSWCA Grade Matches come to mind ... although that's a teams competition rather than an individual competition ...

arosar
07-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Goose eh? I bet this fella will whip your a*s.s. any day.

Now I reckon that I got a better question. How's about a dodgy zonal - ever heard of that one? Anything's possible mate.

AR

Rincewind
07-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Actually the NSWCA Grade Matches come to mind ... although that's a teams competition rather than an individual competition ...

That's true but there are also other conditions placed on the overrated team member.

(1) No more than 50 points above the cut off
(2) No more than one per team
(3) Must play on board 1

The logistics of getting a team together from a club probably make this exception a pragmatic one. Such logistical considerations don't apply in an individual event, of course. One would simply move the cut off to 2050.

Rincewind
07-04-2004, 03:45 PM

Looks like you left your king en prise. That's exactly why he should be competing in the Open. :owned:

arosar
07-04-2004, 03:50 PM
That's why I told him, this mate of mine, to play in the Open.

AR

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Which is exactly why he should be in the Open.

Now I reckon that I got a better question. How's about a dodgy zonal - ever heard of that one? Anything's possible mate.
What does a zonal have to do with a rating cutoff for a tournament.
After all its not like the Zonal is an Uxxxx event unless you consider xxxx to be 2600 - 2900 depending on the zone.

Kerry Stead
07-04-2004, 03:56 PM
That's true but there are also other conditions placed on the overrated team member.

(1) No more than 50 points above the cut off
(2) No more than one per team
(3) Must play on board 1

The logistics of getting a team together from a club probably make this exception a pragmatic one. Such logistical considerations don't apply in an individual event, of course. One would simply move the cut off to 2050.

Yes, I realise that Barry ... was just giving an example that answered the question. Individual competitions obviously don't have such extra rules/conditions.

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Yes, which is exactly the reason I did not mention it because its not relevant.

arosar
07-04-2004, 03:59 PM
What does a zonal have to do with a rating cutoff for a tournament.

What do you have to do with Doeberl?

AR

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2004, 04:01 PM
What do you have to do with Doeberl?

AR
About as much as you do.
Of course anyone with a clue could tell you that the organisers would not make any exception for your mate.

Rincewind
07-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Yes, I realise that Barry ... was just giving an example that answered the question. Individual competitions obviously don't have such extra rules/conditions.

I wasn't intending to infer that you didn't. I was just adding context for the benefit for other readers.

Trent Parker
09-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey If by any chance anyone logs on here whilst at Doeberl how about letting us know whats happenin'? Who is top seeds, what GMs, IMs etc are there etc.

jenni
09-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey If by any chance anyone logs on here whilst at Doeberl how about letting us know whats happenin'? Who is top seeds, what GMs, IMs etc are there etc.
Rogers, Johansen, Lane are the top seeds and Ian had a shock loss in the first round to Dragicevic from Victoria.

Bill Gletsos
10-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Well I see the Doeberl Cup got a record 222 entries.
I guess that puts paid to Charles Zworestine's belief that the 70 point rating uplift would lead to reduced numbers.

Garvinator
10-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Well I see the Doeberl Cup got a record 222 entries.
I guess that puts paid to Charles Zworestine's belief that the 70 point rating uplift would lead to reduced numbers.
what was charles logic with that opinion, why did he think that?

Rincewind
10-04-2004, 04:35 PM
what was charles logic with that opinion, why did he think that?

I'd imagine players having to play up a division more than they're used to. EG AR's mate with a 2000+ rating who wanted to play in the major and might end up playing at the SEC instead.

Garvinator
10-04-2004, 04:37 PM
i see that jose is playing in doeberl ;)

the point i was trying to make is that cl said that he wasnt going to play at doeberl cause of religious beliefs. some of us have said that jose is cl, but jose is playing at doeberl. that could be something to think about :hmm: :uhoh:

Rincewind
10-04-2004, 04:43 PM
i see that jose is playing in doeberl ;)

From memory my observation has been Jose would prefer to play up a division anyway. So even with a sub-1600 rating would probably play in the major anyway.

Bill Gletsos
10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
I'd imagine players having to play up a division more than they're used to. EG AR's mate with a 2000+ rating who wanted to play in the major and might end up playing at the SEC instead.
That would see to indicate that the players who are missing are more interested in prize money because they were contenders rather than playing chess for the sheer love of the game.

As for who is missing I notice that Lee Forace and Anthony Keuning are both not participating. They were both under 1600 prior to the uplift.

Garvinator
10-04-2004, 04:58 PM
From memory my observation has been Jose would prefer to play up a division anyway. So even with a sub-1600 rating would probably play in the major anyway.

you would hope that someone who is rated 1654 and wants to be an IM would want to play up a division :lol: :whistle:

Rincewind
10-04-2004, 05:14 PM
you would hope that someone who is rated 1500's and wants to be an IM would want to play up a division :lol: :whistle:

Or even, say, 1654!! :whistle:

Garvinator
10-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Or even, say, 1654!! :whistle:
i said 1654, go back and check my post again ;)

Rincewind
10-04-2004, 05:34 PM
i said 1654, go back and check my post again ;)

Yes but you can't edit my quote of your post. :lol: :p ;)

jenni
10-04-2004, 06:44 PM
It seems you have to be under 20 if you want to be on a perfect score in Doeberl. The Minor has Max Illingworth, Jeremy Reading and Khoi Hoang on 4 out of 4.

In the Major it is James Obst, Jesse Jager and Jason Hu.

When I left a few miinutes ago, board 1 and 2 were undecided, but Zong-Yuan Zhao was playing Stephen Solomon and David Smerdon was playing Tim Reilly. If Yuan and David win, that will give a clean sweep to the under 20's.

Ian Rout is putting the results up each evening, so just go to

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/results/weekenders/2004DoeberlCup.htm

jenni
10-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Zhao and Smerdon both won, so it is an under 20's clean sweep at the
end of round 4.

jase
11-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Zhao and Smerdon both won, so it is an under 20's clean sweep at the
end of round 4.

Round 5 will obviously be pivotal to the tournament.

Given the pairings for top board, perhaps it will prove pivotal in Olympiad selections also...?

Trent Parker
11-04-2004, 12:49 PM
That would see to indicate that the players who are missing are more interested in prize money because they were contenders rather than playing chess for the sheer love of the game.

As for who is missing I notice that Lee Forace and Anthony Keuning are both not participating. They were both under 1600 prior to the uplift.

Anthony Keuning is playing in SEC. I asked him why he did not go to Doeberl and said he did not want to play in Major. ??

Bill Gletsos
11-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Anthony Keuning is playing in SEC. I asked him why he did not go to Doeberl and said he did not want to play in Major. ??
I guess he does not play for the love of the game. :whistle:

jay_vee
11-04-2004, 02:54 PM

He probably loves the part of the game that involves winning :)

Alan Shore
11-04-2004, 06:02 PM
He probably loves the part of the game that involves winning :)

That or winning the cash.. nothing wrong with that :clap: :whistle:

Rhubarb
11-04-2004, 11:19 PM
But Bill, there's a little bit of chess lover in all of us. :uhoh:

Ian Rout will probably post the full results from Canberra later. Offhand, I think the scores in the open are Zhao 5.5/6, Froehlich 5/6, with Smerdon, Rogers, Reilly, Depasquale, Zvedeniouk, Bjelobrk and possibly one or two others on 4.5. Johansen is on 4 after drawing 4 games.

Myself, I was doing OK for a while despite being Solomonised yesterday. I scabbed a draw from a bad position against Johansen this morning, but disaster struck this afternoon when I lost to Ilya Zved, so I'm down and out on 3.5.

Garvinator
11-04-2004, 11:29 PM

Ian Rout will probably post the full results from Canberra later. Offhand, I think the scores in the open are Zhao 5.5/6, Froehlich 5/6, with Smerdon, Rogers, Reilly, Depasquale, Zvedeniouk, Bjelobrk and possibly one or two others on 4.5. Johansen is on 4 after drawing 4 games.

Myself, I was doing OK for a while despite being Solomonised yesterday. I scabbed a draw from a bad position against Johansen this morning, but disaster struck this afternoon when I lost to Ilya Zved, so I'm down and out on 3.5.
no results up yet :(

jenni
11-04-2004, 11:50 PM
no results up yet :(

Ian Rout has played two very long games today - I think he is being very generous updating the site at all! I am only watching the games and I feel exhausted by the time I get home.

The scores for Yuan and Froelich are definitely correct. Ian Roger drew with Depasquale today.

In the Minor Max Illiingworth is playing very well. He played a great combination against Jeremy Reading to take the lead and it is hard to see who can stop him winning the minor outright.

I am not totally sure of the final result in the Major, but I think it might be James Obst in the lead.

Garvinator
11-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Ian Rout has played two very long games today - I think he is being very generous updating the site at all! I am only watching the games and I feel exhausted by the time I get home.

The scores for Yuan and Froelich are definitely correct. Ian Roger drew with Depasquale today.

In the Minor Max Illiingworth is playing very well. He played a great combination against Jeremy Reading to take the lead and it is hard to see who can stop him winning the minor outright.

I am not totally sure of the final result in the Major, but I think it might be James Obst in the lead.
i was just telling everyone that no results up yet, yes you are right that for a player in the tournament to be updating the page at all is very nice.

Can i ask one question though ;) on the page for results and stuff it mentions about viewing one live game? I dont seem to be able to find it :confused: can you help?

eclectic
12-04-2004, 12:00 AM
i was just telling everyone that no results up yet, yes you are right that for a player in the tournament to be updating the page at all is very nice.

Can i ask one question though ;) on the page for results and stuff it mentions about viewing one live game? I dont seem to be able to find it :confused: can you help?
gg,

I asked Eeek yesterday on ICC if any Doeberl games were being relayed and he answered in the negative

Perhaps someone might pull some strings for the final round tomorrow (?)

Then again there might not even be DGT Boards on hand at the Canberra end

eclectic

Bill Gletsos
12-04-2004, 12:18 AM
gg,

I asked Eeek yesterday on ICC if any Doeberl games were being relayed and he answered in the negative

Perhaps someone might pull some strings for the final round tomorrow (?)

Then again there might not even be DGT Boards on hand at the Canberra end

eclectic
My understanding is that there were DGT boards available.

Bill Gletsos
12-04-2004, 12:18 AM
:lol:

jenni
12-04-2004, 08:01 AM
My understanding is that there were DGT boards available.

There were 4 boards brought up, but they couldn't get 3 of them to work. I thought the top board was being relayed live as it is a DGT board, but I have just checked with Yuan (who is staying with us) and he says they couldn't get the comms to work, so sorry - it appears no live games.

Duff McKagan
12-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Any update on the scores?

jenni
12-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Any update on the scores?

Zong-Yuan Zhao drew with Froelich to win outright on 6 out of 7.

James Obst beat Jason Hu to win the major and poor Max lost to Nicholas Chernih (another Junior), who won the minor on 6 1/2 - drawing with Alex Jule in round 3.

The Doeberl Cup organisers have gone to have a well deserved lunch, but I am sure full scores will appear soon.

Paul S
12-04-2004, 06:12 PM

Bill, Lee Forace WAS at this year's Doeberl Cup!

Lee kindly donated his time to provide a valuable service to the Doeberl Cup - he was one of the arbiters! :lol: IMHO it would be almost impossible to both play AND be an arbiter in a large comp like Doeberl!

Bill Gletsos
12-04-2004, 06:17 PM

Lee kindly donated his time to provide a valuable service to the Doeberl Cup - he was one of the arbiters! :lol: IMHO it would be almost impossible to both play AND be an arbiter in a large comp like Doeberl!
Yes, I was aware of that, but when I said he wasnt participating that was as a player.
However could it be that because he considered himself no longer a chance at a prize he decided to arbit instead.
After all remember arbiters get paid.

Rincewind
12-04-2004, 06:20 PM

Nobody said Lee wasn't a fantastic guy. The question is though, was the fact that he didn't qualify for the Minor a disincentive for him playing?

If the Minor's loss was chess administration's gain, then all the better I guess.

Paul S
12-04-2004, 06:42 PM
However could it be that because he considered himself no longer a chance at a prize he decided to arbit instead.

That may be the case. I guess you will have to ask Lee next time you see him!

If the Minor's loss was chess administration's gain, then all the better I guess.

I agree!

Lucena
12-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Rogers, Johansen, Lane are the top seeds and Ian had a shock loss in the first round to Dragicevic from Victoria.

does anyone have the score of that game?

Lucena
12-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Does anyone have the scores of the following games: Rogers-Reilly, Zhao-Lane, Smerdon-Depasquale?

Jamo
12-04-2004, 07:50 PM
anyone know how rogers lost to dizdarivic?
score?
results up anywhere?

arosar
12-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Back in Sydney.

Great tournament! Loved the atmosphere. I will definitely return next year with a few mates. 3 highlights: (1) The taxi driver who claimed to have lived in the house built by Mr Doeberl; (2) the Qantas flight attendant whose 2 sons played in the event - one in the minor and another in the major. She saw me reading my chess magazine on the plane and as she was about to serve snacks the first thing she said was, "so how did you go in the Doeberl Cup?" I was floored! Finally, 'Pulpo en salsa'. That's baby octopus in red wine sauce served at Legends Spanish restaurant. Deeelicious! The place is on Franklin St in Manuka. Try it!

And lowlight? My room-mate (non-chess player). He snored so loud he could wake up the dead in the Philippines. I blame the bas*tard for my poor performance.

See youse all next year (if not sooner at the ANU).

AR

Rincewind
12-04-2004, 07:58 PM
And lowlight? My room-mate (non-chess player). He snored so loud he could wake up the dead in the Philippines. I blame the bas*tard for my poor performance.

And so the excuse searching begins... ;)

Glad you had a good time though. The board has been quiet without your constant barrage of spamming. :lol:

Jamo
12-04-2004, 08:01 PM
on icc barry?

Garvinator
12-04-2004, 08:03 PM
on icc barry?
who is this jamo?

Jamo
12-04-2004, 08:23 PM
robert jamieson

Lucena
12-04-2004, 08:26 PM
robert jamieson
rubbish we can tell the difference with one less m

Alan Shore
12-04-2004, 08:29 PM
rubbish we can tell the difference with one less m

Unless it's a multi account like Goughfather/Machiavelli.. still, I'll remain as sceptical as gareth is.

Lucena
robert jamiesonplease tell us why you decided to form a new account when you already have a perfect good one

shaun
Game Scores: Paul Dunn is entering the games. While a large amount were entered over the weekend, there is still plenty of work to be done. Unless Paul decides to release a partial file, it is most likely that the full set of games from the Premier will come out with The Week in Chess next week.
DGT Boards: Despite the best attempts of a group of computer/web professionals we were unable to get this working. Based on my own experience, and the experience of others, the Toma software used to web broadcast games is deficient. The DGT software worked OK, it was the ftp transfer that would not work, despite testing it on multiple machines and trying to braodcast to a number of different accounts. Solution: I will try and write my own and have it ready for next year.
Volunteers: Fabulous as usual. And despite claims on this board that Rosario does nothing for Australian Chess, I personally witnessed him reset the pieces on one of the boards in the Premier after the players using it walked out. Well done Rosario!

Garvinator
12-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Unless it's a multi account like Goughfather/Machiavelli.. still, I'll remain as sceptical as gareth is.
i have sent Jeo and gandalf a pm regarding this matter.

Garvinator
12-04-2004, 08:31 PM
robert jamieson
mr jamo, what is your opinion on the possibility of an acf commission ;)

Garvinator
12-04-2004, 08:33 PM
And despite claims on this board that Rosario does nothing for Australian Chess, I personally witnessed him reset the pieces on one of the boards in the Premier after the players using it walked out. Well done Rosario!
:lol: ;)

Jamo
12-04-2004, 08:44 PM
an acf commission is a positive step, we shall wait and see as to its efficacy in dealing with the basic needs of aust chess

Garvinator
12-04-2004, 08:45 PM
an acf commission is a positive step, we shall wait and see as to its efficacy in dealing with the basic needs of aust chess
i would like to hear the details again, can you please give us the basics of the acf commission proposal ;)

Jamo
12-04-2004, 08:48 PM
apologies ggray, im not at liberty to air the likely proposals at this stage

Bill Gletsos
12-04-2004, 09:00 PM
robert jamieson
I seriously doubt you are Robert as he has no reason to suddenly stop using the jammo account and create this new one.

Therefore to pretend to be him should result in your id and ip being immediately banned.

Of course if you are Robert you would obviously know what the subject of your last email to me was.
So what was it.

skip to my lou
12-04-2004, 09:01 PM
apologies ggray, im not at liberty to air the likely proposals at this stage

Jamo, if you have lost your password to "Jammo", please contact admin@chesskit.com from the email on record for "Jammo"

Bill Gletsos
12-04-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm guessing jamo's email address is not the same as the real jammo's email address.

skip to my lou
12-04-2004, 09:10 PM
I'm guessing jamo's email address is not the same as the real jammo's email address.

Jammo has an ozemail email (which you probably already know) and Jamo has a netscape one.

Rincewind
12-04-2004, 09:15 PM
I think the biggest clue to Jamo not being jammo is that he writes completely differently to jammo. You would think if you were going to go to the trouble of impersonating someone. Especially, on an online forum where it is reasonably easy to pull it off you would do a better job at studying your role.

Anyway, Jamo has been banned (Jeo you might want to ban permanently, I didn't do that as I thought it might be messy to undo).
_________

Oh and in answer to the original question. No, I'm not on ICC. Is there a reason why I should be? Please respond using your "jammo" userid. ;)

skip to my lou
12-04-2004, 09:22 PM
User Jamo has been banned permanently

firegoat7
12-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Anyone got the scoresheet for the final round game Rippis-Canfel? I wish I had been at the adjournment session!!

By the way well done Domagoj excellent effort!

Cheers FG7

Garvinator
12-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Anyone got the scoresheet for the final round game Rippis-Canfel? I wish I had been at the adjournment session!!

By the way well done Domagoj excellent effort!

Cheers FG7

im pretty sure that greg canfell would send you the score if you ask him by pm nicely enough :lol:

chesslover
12-04-2004, 11:07 PM
I have a close friend who played in the Doberl. he said that whilst the chess was good and the atmosphere wondeful there were some snafus

There was no food for him on Friday or Monday as the food places were all closed. On friday they forced him to eat one sausage sizzle for $2. Then they had a hamburger which costs $5. My friend was very unimpressed but as he was hungry he had no choice

Then my friend had dramas because of the ineptness of the canberra organisers. There was tea and coffee but no CUPS!!!!!!!!!!

That is right- there was tea and coffee and suger and hot water but no CUPS. When my friend went to complain to the barman about the lack of cups many times he was given a rude reply. When he went to the organisers and asked him for the cups the organisers just said they were coming and ignored him.

Also my friend said that the noise levelwas very loud and that disturbed him as well. Many times people complain not just my poor friend, but others as well. The noise and smell was overwhelming in that hall and also there was a room just for the elite as well

That is the reason why my friend who is a future IM did not play as well as he could

My friend liked the chess and watching the other IMs and GMs but found rhe noise and food and no cups very annoying. I would complain but my friend said that the arbiters now do not take any notice of him so he cannot complain much

Rincewind
12-04-2004, 11:28 PM
It's never a good sign when one starts refer to oneself in the third person.

Garvinator
13-04-2004, 08:38 AM
am i right in saying that bjelobrk has scored a im norm from doeberl, or is this not possible at doeberl? :hmm:

shaun
13-04-2004, 09:31 AM
am i right in saying that bjelobrk has scored a im norm from doeberl, or is this not possible at doeberl? :hmm:

It is not possible to score a title norm in an event with less than 9 rounds.

Garvinator
13-04-2004, 09:43 AM
It is not possible to score a title norm in an event with less than 9 rounds.
ok he didnt then ;)

1min_grandmaster
13-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Another excellent Doeberl Cup! The record entry was deserving for such a great event. Anyone who has yet to go to the Doeberl Cup doesn't know what they're missing. The atmosphere was electric and the playing conditions (in the Premier) were excellent.

Cups and coffee was organised by the club. They has supplied a large number of cups but were used inefficiently by the players. I don't think this is the organisers' fault.

There were many eating places open on Friday and Monday at Manuka (about 4 minutes walk from the playing venue), including Subway, McDonalds, cafes and bars. People were not forced to eat the hot food available at the playing hall. I thought it was interesting that kind of food was served right next to the top boards of the minor tournament, would have been a great distraction!

The Premier division has to be played in the adjacent room. There is no room for in the main hall for a third division. Anyway, entrants are paying extra to play in the top division.

I've always thought there are too many people talking at one end of the hall (the main entrance end). But what can you do as an organiser?

I thought the organisers did a great job. Well done Roger McCart, Shaun Press and others for making it a top event. I hope they get even more entries next year.

Garvinator
13-04-2004, 10:24 AM
watch out, im a chance to go next year :lol:

shaun
13-04-2004, 10:46 AM
I thought the organisers did a great job. Well done Roger McCart, Shaun Press and others for making it a top event. I hope they get even more entries next year.
Thank you for your kind feedback. As an official I thought this was the best Doeberl Cup I have been involved in. There were no major problems or disputes which not only reflects well on the organisers but also on the players as well. The chess was also exciting, with all three tournaments having exciting last round games to decide the winners.
Of course there were little things that didn't work as well as hoped, such as the coffee cups and the lighting for the top boards in the minor, but we hope to solve as many of these problems as we can for next year.
As my GM friend correctly observed, the club did supply cups, but failed to account for the overuse by players. When the problem was discovered Roger McCart went out and purchased more cups (and tea, coffee and milk), meaning that CL only had to wait 40 minutes for his coffee fix.

Bill Gletsos
13-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Shaun,
I notice there were a number of withdrawls (3 in the premier, 1 in the major and 1 in the minor).
Given only one was from the ACT it would seem that it is a costly exercise to come to the Doeberl and then withdraw especially after just 1 round or even after 4 rounds.
What were some of the excuses?
Were all of them approved?

arosar
13-04-2004, 12:18 PM
My first ever Doeberl was truly exciting, fun, and I have no complaints against the event or the organisers. This tourn will now be in my calendar I think now practically for the rest of my life. I'll definitely sell this event to all I know.

I don't believe it to be true that food places were closed on Friday and Monday (yesterday?). I know - I went out every night! Restaurants and cafes were open in Manuka throughout - from brekkie til dinner.

As to noise, this was always dealt with quickly by Mr Press, CZ, and Forace. Anyway, most of the blame lay with the likes of me, spectators and players, who often forget to step out when chatting.

Thanks for recommending Victor Lodge. Cheap, well run, family business with excellent service. They serve fantastic brekkie too. Loved the location (on Dawes St - just 15 mins walk from the venue). You wake up to the birds chirping and their singing sounds like a river stream - it's sooo beautiful! I also loved my morning walk from the hostel to the venue. You walk past gorgeous houses and verdant streets. My only complaint against Victor Lodge was that they didn't have a corkscrew - so I had to go out and buy me own. But no problem - I loved the wine. I'd been looking for it in Sydney and I only just found it in Canberra!

Finally, remember when Matt suggested that J Escribano should play by remote? Well, I totally agree with this. I happened to watch his game and he waves me off telling me that I was distracting him. And in one round, he gets up and basically moves his board to another table. Methinks I'll give him a quick call tonight and tell him to take up correspondence chess instead.

Anyway, I could go on about some more funny and quirky things. You know, like Sandler putting it across to one of the arbiters (I think it was CZ) that maybe the premiere should charge sub-2000 people a fortune to discourage them from playing in that section. Just listening to him in that style of speech, in that accent, was just, well, sorta unique. Or this kid who had trouble winning in a K+R v K. There was a small crowd of his mates around his table. Feeling a bit embarassed maybe, he says to himself, "what am I doing?" Then his little kid opponent, with that tough serious kid look goes, "Sssshhhh!!". Finally, when mate is delivered, the first kid raises his arms in triumph with a, "yessss" and all of us promptly gives him an applause! Fantastic!!

Actually....a controversy...uumm...on second thought - I think the decision was fair.

AR

shaun
13-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Shaun,
I notice there were a number of withdrawls (3 in the premier, 1 in the major and 1 in the minor).
Given only one was from the ACT it would seem that it is a costly exercise to come to the Doeberl and then withdraw especially after just 1 round or even after 4 rounds.
What were some of the excuses?
Were all of them approved?

The list of shame is as follows:
Stephen Bartlett
Ibrahim Ogada-Osir
Roger Farrell
Ronald Scott
Harry Hoholis
Dejan Soco

The other withdrawals were all approved by the organisers (mainly on medical grounds).

The organising committee has decided that the unnaproved withdrawers will be required to lodge a $100 forfeit bond when they next enter the tournament, which will be refunded upon satisfactory completion of the event.

There was also one player who did not attend the prize giving to receive his prize, Adrian DeNoskowski. As he lives in Canberra I suspect his defence will be he didn't realise he had won anything, but there will still be a 20% deduction from his prize amount.

Alan Shore
13-04-2004, 12:47 PM
There was also one player who did not attend the prize giving to receive his prize, Adrian DeNoskowski. As he lives in Canberra I suspect his defence will be he didn't realise he had won anything, but there will still be a 20% deduction from his prize amount.

Who arbitrarily decided this? Never in my life have I heard of such a ridiculous deduction. I suppose you just pocket that 20% for yourself Shaun?

shaun
13-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Who arbitrarily decided this? Never in my life have I heard of such a ridiculous deduction. I suppose you just pocket that 20% for yourself Shaun?

Listen Dion. You seem to assume a familiarity with me which I do not understand. I don't think I have ever met you face to face, or that there is any reason why your opinions carry any more weight with me than the opinions of other complete strangers who randomly approach me. Indeed, you would have been better to remain as Bruce Dickinson as I could at least say that I have heard of you, something I would be hard pressed to do so now.
As to your question. A) The deduction of a percentage of prize money for failing to attend the prize giving ceremony is a common enough practice in other countries around the world (25% being a common standard in England) and B) This was decided a couple of years ago by the organising committee and is clearly printed on the entry form.

Alan Shore
13-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Listen Dion. You seem to assume a familiarity with me which I do not understand. I don't think I have ever met you face to face, or that there is any reason why your opinions carry any more weight with me than the opinions of other complete strangers who randomly approach me. Indeed, you would have been better to remain as Bruce Dickinson as I could at least say that I have heard of you, something I would be hard pressed to do so now.
As to your question. A) The deduction of a percentage of prize money for failing to attend the prize giving ceremony is a common enough practice in other countries around the world (25% being a common standard in England) and B) This was decided a couple of years ago by the organising committee and is clearly printed on the entry form.

Shaun, I still think that is harsh, yet if it is printed on the entry form, then I am sorry for the comment I made, I was unaware of this.

As for your spiel at the beginning, I don't really understand what you're getting at. I don't know you in person, I don't expect my opinions to be carries with any more weight than anyone else so I'm confused. I know we've disagreed in the past and I've had problems with a few of your posts here before and subsequently argued against them but I don't see the current relevance - I don't judge you in any way since I've not met you.

Oepty
13-04-2004, 02:54 PM
If you think deducting 20% is bad, I heard a story which might be incorrect, that a couple of years ago at the Glenelg allegro a player wasn't there to collect his prize so he didn't get it. I think it went to the next person. I think 20% is very fair as it takes time to chase the player up and if it is posted as a cheque that takes money.
Scott

Lucena
13-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Indeed, you would have been better to remain as Bruce Dickinson as I could at least say that I have heard of you, something I would be hard pressed to do so now. Ouch :doh:

Paul S
14-04-2004, 12:38 AM
I have a close friend who played in the Doberl. he said that whilst the chess was good and the atmosphere wondeful there were some snafus

There was no food for him on Friday or Monday as the food places were all closed. On friday they forced him to eat one sausage sizzle for $2. Then they had a hamburger which costs $5. My friend was very unimpressed but as he was hungry he had no choice

Chesslover, what is your "friend" (is that you, Jose?) whingeing about? :rolleyes: A mere 5 minute (maximum) walk from the Italo-Australian Club is Manuka town centre, with LOTS of places to choose from to eat, ranging in price/quality from cheap takeaway to expensive restaurants. During my time at this year's Doeberl I did not eat at the Italo-Australian Club at all, due to all the choice in Manuka! During the Doeberl I eat (and drank!) far too much at some of Manuka's fine restaurants (I can recommend Verve and Christophe's), which IMHO was one of the reasons for my worse than expected performance at this year's Doeberl. :cool:

Why didn't your friend go to Manuka town centre at some stage (like virtually everyone else)? It seems to me as though your friend was the only person at the Doeberl who ate ALL his food at the Italo-Australian Club.

Then my friend had dramas because of the ineptness of the canberra organisers. There was tea and coffee but no CUPS!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, this was also a minor annoyance to me during one of the rounds. However, the organisers rectified the situation later on during that round in question.

That is right- there was tea and coffee and suger and hot water but no CUPS. When my friend went to complain to the barman about the lack of cups many times he was given a rude reply. When he went to the organisers and asked him for the cups the organisers just said they were coming and ignored him.

Perhaps if Jose did not complain so many times then maybe he would not have been ignored and treated rudely? After all, surely once is enough for such a complaint? Why did Jose have to complain MANY times?

Also my friend said that the noise levelwas very loud and that disturbed him as well. Many times people complain not just my poor friend, but others as well. The noise and smell was overwhelming in that hall and also there was a room just for the elite as well

That is the reason why my friend who is a future IM did not play as well as he could

What about the noise from your friend's headphones during NSWCA tournaments last year that distracted other players? What about the noise your friend sometimes makes by arguing with opponents/arbiters and thereby distracting other players games? Nice to see someone get a dose of their own medicine, I say! :p

My friend liked the chess and watching the other IMs and GMs but found rhe noise and food and no cups very annoying. I would complain but my friend said that the arbiters now do not take any notice of him so he cannot complain much

I wonder why arbiters now take no notice of him? :hmm:

chesslover
14-04-2004, 12:43 AM

Good one mate. I had a lot of hearty chuckles at this.

But that was a good question you asked - where does the 20% go????? :hmm:

Pity it was not used to buy some extra cups for the cofee and tea. What is the use of providing coffee and tea when there is no cups hey?????? If these canberra organisers had spent more time on providing cups than it would have been a much better tournament

The attitude of some of the the barmen was really rude. When my friend asked for a cup again that man almsot looked like assaulting my dear friend :eek:

Garvinator
14-04-2004, 12:49 AM
The attitude of some of the the barmen was really rude. When my friend asked for a cup again that man almsot looked like assaulting me :eek:
i thought it was your friend that was having the issue about cups, so why the assaulting me comment :hmm: would you like that third goosemaster norm now :whistle:

chesslover
14-04-2004, 12:50 AM
A mere 5 minute (maximum) walk from the Italo-Australian Club is Manuka town centre, with LOTS of places to choose from to eat, ranging in price/quality from cheap takeaway to expensive restaurants. During my time at this year's Doeberl I did not eat at the Italo-Australian Club at all, due to all the choice in Manuka! During the Doeberl I eat (and drank!) far too much at some of Manuka's fine restaurants (I can recommend Verve and Christophe's), which IMHO was one of the reasons for my worse than expected performance at this year's Doeberl. :cool:

Why didn't your friend go to Manuka town centre at some stage (like virtually everyone else)? It seems to me as though your friend was the only person at the Doeberl who ate ALL his food at the Italo-Australian Club.

Listen my Canterbury jumper wearing mate

How could my friend have eaten all his meals in the club when on Monday and frdiay it was closed????? It wsas only on Friday they provided a cheap sausage sizzle ( a rip off at $2) and a totally inadequate haburger for $5. The least the organisers should have done is told people that there were other options, and said where the local takewaways were. A map of the restaurents would not have gone astray either.

And how hard is it to get some cups ALl they needed to do was to but lots of cups. It is not as if we were asking for fine china - just some plastic cups. 40 minutes to get that and running short again was just bad organisin

Paul S
14-04-2004, 12:59 AM
The attitude of some of the the barmen was really rude. When my friend asked for a cup again that man almsot looked like assaulting me :eek:

Hmm, Chesslover, I thought you claimed on this BB that you were a deeply religious man who cannot play in the Doeberl due to Easter? :hmm:

Your use of the word "me" and your description of the barman "almost looked like assaulting me " appear to indicate that it was you who was there and not your "friend". :hmm:

Its curious that you did not post on this BB during the course of the Doeberl. :hmm:

Listen my Canterbury jumper wearing mate

How did you know that I wore a Canterbury jumper (polo shirt actually - for Canterbury winning the 2002 Combined Leagues Rapidplay) during the Doeberl if you were supposedly in Sydney observing Easter? :hmm:

chesslover
14-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Hmm, Chesslover, I thought you claimed on this BB that you were a deeply religious man who cannot play in the Doeberl due to Easter? :hmm:

Your use of the word "me" and your description of the barman "almost looked like assaulting me " appear to indicate that it was you who was there and not your "friend". :hmm:

Its curious that you did not post on this BB during the course of the Doeberl. :hmm:

it was a simple typing mistake

I was away during the easter break which is why I did not post. No red herring just facts buddy.

So how did you think you went, even though you played in the Minor??? Did you eat the sausage sizzle??? did you think it was value for money??? what did you think about the noise that made it unbearable and the fact that some of the culprits were the DOPs??? how hypocritical is that hey? And the fact that it took them so long to give you cups?? what is the point of giving coffee when there is no cups???? My friend was very upset about that

chesslover
14-04-2004, 01:07 AM
How did you know that I wore a Canterbury jumper (polo shirt actually - for Canterbury winning the 2002 Combined Leagues Rapidplay) during the Doeberl if you were supposedly in Sydney observing Easter? :hmm:

my friend told me

Paul S
14-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Chesslover, what a hoot you are! You certainly add life and colour to this BB!!!

it was a simple typing mistake

Perhaps it was. However, its not a sort of mistake that is usually associated with typing mistakes.

I was away during the easter break which is why I did not post. No red herring just facts buddy.

Perhaps you were away in Canberra during the Easter break? ;) :p

So how did you think you went, even though you played in the Minor???

Overall I was disappointed with my performance (3.5/7), especially losing 2 games early on (rounds 1 and 3) against considerably lower rated opponents. :( I took these round 1 and 3 oppponents far too casually and so I ended up paying the price (ie losing!). I was probably a bit too much in a "holiday mood" rather than a "chess mood" during the Doeberl (eg I ate and drank too much during the 4 days). I won 2, lost 2 and had 3 draws. By losing these two games early on, I experienced first hand that there is a problem with underrated Juniors (I'll say more about this later!).

Did you eat the sausage sizzle??? did you think it was value for money???

I did not eat at the sausage sizzle (I said in my earlier post that I did NOT eat at the Italo-Australian Club during this year's Doeberl - pay attention!), so I cannot say if it was value for money or not.

what did you think about the noise that made it unbearable and the fact that some of the culprits were the DOPs??? how hypocritical is that hey?

There was more noise than what there should have been, but I don't think it was unbearable! While ideally there should be NO noise, I think it is reasonable to expect that there will be a bit of noise with so many people there (it is, after all, Australia's largest chess tournament!).

As for the DOPs making noise, on the contrary I thought they did their best to minimise the noise! For example, Shaun Press on many occassions saying "sshhhh" to people who were talking/noisy.

If the people resources (ie arbiters and organisers) were not so few then I am sure that they would have been able to reduce the noise further. Like I have said elsewhere on this BB, the biggest problem in chess is lack of organisers/admins. So, how about YOU, Chesslover, become an organiser/admin at next year's Doeberl and help out in reducing noise levels? :lol:

And the fact that it took them so long to give you cups?? what is the point of giving coffee when there is no cups???? My friend was very upset about that

I think it was only a one hour (at most) wait until the extra cups arrived and that it was only one round that was affected by a shortage of cups.

Sounds like your "friend" gets "very upset" far too easily!

Kevin Bonham
14-04-2004, 02:35 AM
The organising committee has decided that the unnaproved withdrawers will be required to lodge a $100 forfeit bond when they next enter the tournament, which will be refunded upon satisfactory completion of the event.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ian Rout
14-04-2004, 09:15 AM
It's always possible that CL was in Canberra acting as second for his friend but not playing in the Doeberl. There are some very nice churches in Manuka where CL could go to praise the Lord, and perhaps ask Him to organise some coffee cups.

Duff McKagan
14-04-2004, 10:18 AM
I hear ya chesslover, you expect the highest standards at tournaments. Fortunately I am not a coffee drinker, so like a mate from the St.George club, just reached over the bar and grabbed a large wine glass to use for drinks.

Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson

I'm with Bruce on this one. Poor fella would have his surprise at winning a prize muted by this. What if he had some urgent business after the last round and had to go? Usually a good tournament director would forward the prize to him at a later date, or give it to one of his friends so they could pass it on.

Garvinator
14-04-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm with Bruce on this one. Poor fella would have his surprise at winning a prize muted by this. What if he had some urgent business after the last round and had to go? Usually a good tournament director would forward the prize to him at a later date, or give it to one of his friends so they could pass it on.
At a guess, I would say that if the person who was to get a prize but had to leave early had actually informed the tournament organisers that he had to leave early and his/her excuse was a reasonable one, there would be no penalty.

shaun
14-04-2004, 11:22 AM
I hear ya chesslover, you expect the highest standards at tournaments. Fortunately I am not a coffee drinker, so like a mate from the St.George club, just reached over the bar and grabbed a large wine glass to use for drinks.

As some others did. In reality the club was less than helpful (mainly on Saturday), and that is why the organisers solved the problem themselves.

BTW Duff, I hope you enjoyed the tournament, and while I didn't get a chance to say it to you personally, I thought your behaviour, and that of everybody else, helped make the tournament run smoothly.

arosar
14-04-2004, 11:37 AM
During the Doeberl I eat (and drank!) far too much at some of Manuka's fine restaurants (I can recommend Verve and Christophe's), which IMHO was one of the reasons for my worse than expected performance at this year's Doeberl.

Woohoo Paulie! Yo go Paul. What did you have at Verve's? I only had brekkie there. I must say, the service was excellent - very attentive and fast which is true for most other places there in Manuka. Meself and a few other chess players where at Diversity on Saturday night. Again, good service. I ordered some nice food but we were too bloody busy perving on the waitresses.

I so hope that they make the venue same place next year. Just that it's near a place like Manuka is definitely a crowd-puller. This is why I'm worried about hauling me butt of to some friggin hill like Mt Buller. We all might be stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. Also, one or two NSWCA tourns near the city where all the nightlife is would be good. Charge me for it, I don't care.

AR

chesslover
14-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Chesslover, what a hoot you are! You certainly add life and colour to this BB!!!

I did not eat at the sausage sizzle (I said in my earlier post that I did NOT eat at the Italo-Australian Club during this year's Doeberl - pay attention!), so I cannot say if it was value for money or not.

to minimise the noise! For example, Shaun Press on many occassions saying "sshhhh" to people who were talking/noisy.
Sounds like your "friend" gets "very upset" far too easily!

Ahhhhh yes - "Mr sshhh sshhhh man" aka to others as the inflexible DOP Press. In fact the only thing that my friend found more annoying than the unberable distracting offputting noise by the unconcerned and rude people, was the constant "ssssshhhhh sssssshhhhhh shhhhhhhhh sssssssssshhhhhh"noise that came from Mr Press. It was as if he was getting paid by the ssssshhhhhhhh that he uttered.

That was how ridiculous it became. Everytime my close friend played it was if there was a sssssshhhhhhhh. And despite the ssssshhhhhhs that came, people still talked. And my friend could not even complain given his previous history with the DOPs. Remember also that I had a run in with an organiser who was forced to apologise for telling a cruel and unkind remark about me that could have seen him banned from ever organising an chess event. Given that sort of people being in charge, and the fact that they now charge for apppeals my friend could not even put legitimate complains.

And 1 hour to get cups????????? Think about it - ONE WHOLE HOUR when as even you mentioned they could have walked 5 minutes to get it. WHY do they keep people waiting ONE HOUR for coffee as there was no bloody cups. It is not as if people were demanding jewels and rubies or free alcohol.All they wanted was some cups to drink coffee. If they did not want to provide cups to all of us who went there, thery could have asked us to B.Y.O cups. And remember that serious chess players who are used to drink coffee when they play chess, need to drink that to play at that top level. My friend was quite upset and thought that it was all a plot to stop him winning, as he had been the victim of some very unfair rulings in the past. I told him that they were merely being incompotent, rather than trying to get him and told him not to go mad. That would only have enededwith him being kicked out forever

And most great players get upset easily, so dont knowck me for getting upset. If you dont take yourself seriosuly and think that you are worth being loved., then no one will treat you with the respect that you deserve. Even Kasparov and Fischer, 2 of the greatest chess players ever, get upset "very easily". Show me a man who lets injustices go, and I will show you a man who has let life beat him into submission. Self respect and self esteem demands that you stand up for your rights.

And $2 for a sausage. Why was not directiosn given to eating places. My friend thought that as the placed was closed on Friday and Monday that was the only place to eat. $2 for a sausage sizzle and $5 for a so called burger. What a joke. Only it is not funny but very sad

Paul S
15-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Woohoo Paulie! Yo go Paul. What did you have at Verve's? I only had brekkie there. I must say, the service was excellent - very attentive and fast which is true for most other places there in Manuka.

I'm surprised I didn't see you there for breakfast! I had breakfast at Verve on Saturday and Sunday morning. I had the poached eggs on brown toast with bernaise sauce and spinach - absolutely delicious! I would have had breakfast there on Monday morning aswell, except the last round of Doeberl starts at 9am (the same time as Verve opens) - I'll have to suggest to the Doeberl organisers to make the last round start at 10am for 2005 so that I can go to Verve for Breakfast! ;)

I had a lunch there on Friday (with Doeberl legend Lloyd Fell of all people!). I had the vegetarian risotto with a Crown Lager and glass of house red - very nice.

I so hope that they make the venue same place next year. Just that it's near a place like Manuka is definitely a crowd-puller.

Yes, for me too Manuka was a big attraction. So many nice restaurants to choose from and virtually all of them were open for some/all of the Easter break.

My Manuka dining highlight was my two meals at Christophe's French Restaurant. Was a bit expensive, but then again I'm 40 and single and have a reletively secure job, so unlike most chess players I can afford these sort of "extravagances" every now and again (especially when I'm on a "chess holiday" like Doeberl!). On Friday evening had Coq au Vin (chicken in white wine sauce) followed by a delicious pistachio ice cream (all washed down with white wine and Grand Marnier). On Saturday I gave lunch a miss (went to National Art Gallery instead) and had a 3 course meal at Christophe's in the evening. Was just as well that I gave lunch a miss as the 3 course meal was very filling - had "Salade Vosgienne" for entree (salad topped with sauteed onions, potatoes, smoked bacon and egg - a meal in itself!), followed by Beef Burgundy for main course (beef in red wine sauce with baked potato, baked tomato and endive) followed by passionfruit creme brulee (all washed down with French red wine and Grand Marnier). Absolutely delicious (although a bit expensive) and for me an incentive to return to Canberra for the 2005 Doeberl!

Paul S
15-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Ahhhhh yes - "Mr sshhh sshhhh man" aka to others as the inflexible DOP Press. In fact the only thing that my friend found more annoying than the unberable distracting offputting noise by the unconcerned and rude people, was the constant "ssssshhhhh sssssshhhhhh shhhhhhhhh sssssssssshhhhhh"noise that came from Mr Press. It was as if he was getting paid by the ssssshhhhhhhh that he uttered.

Chesslover, what would you prefer, the minor irritation of the "sssshhhh sssshhhh" of Shaun Press (BTW, each time Shaun said "sssshhhh sssshhhh" I noticed the noise levels dropped appreciably) or to have Shaun (and other arbiters) do absolutely nothing and thereby have an unacceptable level (major irritation) of noise?

As for Shaun being "inflexible", I would use the term "strong willed" rather than "inflexible". Sure, one doesn't win too many arguments with Shaun, but yet at the same time I have found him to be a rational person in my dealings with him.

Chesslover, before critcising people like Shaun too much, ask yourself these two questions:
1) Have I done anywhere near as much for Australian Chess as what Shaun Press has done?
2) Have I ever run (or assisted in running) a chess tournament with a large number of players?

I have been the main organiser in a few small scale chess tournaments (15 to 40 players) and assisted others in running a few larger ones (40 to 60 players) and I can assure you that its not as easy as it looks!

Personally I think the Doeberl organisers and arbiters overall did an excellent job in running/organising the 2004 Doeberl and I am appreciative of their efforts. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And 1 hour to get cups????????? Think about it - ONE WHOLE HOUR when as even you mentioned they could have walked 5 minutes to get it. WHY do they keep people waiting ONE HOUR for coffee as there was no bloody cups. It is not as if people were demanding jewels and rubies or free alcohol.All they wanted was some cups to drink coffee. If they did not want to provide cups to all of us who went there, thery could have asked us to B.Y.O cups. And remember that serious chess players who are used to drink coffee when they play chess, need to drink that to play at that top level. My friend was quite upset and thought that it was all a plot to stop him winning, as he had been the victim of some very unfair rulings in the past.

Stop making a mountain out of a molehill! :mad:

And $2 for a sausage. Why was not directiosn given to eating places. My friend thought that as the placed was closed on Friday and Monday that was the only place to eat. $2 for a sausage sizzle and $5 for a so called burger. What a joke. Only it is not funny but very sad

From the sausage sizzles that I have recently experienced the cost has been either $1 or $2 (mainly $2), so a $2 charge does not seem excessive to me (although it is at the "top end" of the $1 to $2 price range - then again, perhaps the "Doeberl sausages" were high quality sausages?).

As for why directions were not given to other places, maybe Doeberl organisers like Roger McCart had other more important things to worry about as regards running the Doeberl? Why didn't Jose ask a Doeberl organiser (or other chess players) if there were other places to eat?

arosar
15-04-2004, 04:04 PM
I have no idea what me mate CL is on about. As far as I am concerned, I had a fantastic time and I am definitely going back.

Anyways, I gots a few questions to the Doeberl people.

1.) Where can I read more history about Doeberl Cup?
2.) I had a close look at the trophy and it says on the front, 'invitation tournament'. Did it use to be an invitational?
3.) This one is prompted by the gray/Mr press exchange re norms. Has it been considered to have a 9 round premiere in order to meet norm requirements - considering it's such an impressive tourn?

Cheers boys.

AR

shaun
15-04-2004, 04:11 PM
I have no idea what me mate CL is on about. As far as I am concerned, I had a fantastic time and I am definitely going back.

Anyways, I gots a few questions to the Doeberl people.

1.) Where can I read more history about Doeberl Cup?

Bill Egan has been planning to write a history for a number of years, but it still a work in progress. Your best bet is back issues of Chess World/ Chess in Australia or Easter editions of the Canberra Times.

2.) I had a close look at the trophy and it says on the front, 'invitation tournament'. Did it use to be an invitational?

The first couple of years was run with a main tournament and Reserves event. Given that the tournament pre-dated the ratings system I'm guessing players had to apply to play in the top section.

3.) This one is prompted by the gray/Mr press exchange re norms. Has it been considered to have a 9 round premiere in order to meet norm requirements - considering it's such an impressive tourn?

It is something I've considered. It would require two rounds on the Thursday but this may not be a huge obstacle. The bigger problem would be having enough Overseas players entering to fulfill the 4 foreigners/ 3 federations requirments.
Another thought is to organise an IM tournament after it every 5 years or so eg 45th Doeberl Cup (2006) has an IM tournament as well. But at the moment this is all speculation.

Cheers boys.

AR

No problem.

Bill Gletsos
15-04-2004, 06:28 PM
The first couple of years was run with a main tournament and Reserves event. Given that the tournament pre-dated the ratings system I'm guessing players had to apply to play in the top section.
Thats not entirely accurate.
NSW certainly had a rating system in existence at least as far back as 1957, if not earlier, however it was not the 4 digit variety we are used to until 1959.
And the Roger Cook system (very similar to ELO but to a different scaleand also included a variance indicator very similar to Glicko) was certainly in use from 1962 onwards.
Given the first Doeberl was in 1963 then the NSW players would have had ratings.

WA had a rating system the same as NSW by 1966.
I'm not sure when the other states first had their own rating systems, however the first national ACF list came out for Jan 1970 and was published in CIA in Feb 1970.

chesslover
15-04-2004, 08:48 PM
I seriously doubt you are Robert

no sh.. sherlock :p

chesslover
15-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Thats not entirely accurate.
NSW certainly had a rating system in existence at least as far back as 1957, if not earlier, however it was not the 4 digit variety we are used to until 1959.
And the Roger Cook system (very similar to ELO but to a different scaleand also included a variance indicator very similar to Glicko) was certainly in use from 1962 onwards.
Given the first Doeberl was in 1963 then the NSW players would have had ratings.

WA had a rating system the same as NSW by 1966.
I'm not sure when the other states first had their own rating systems, however the first national ACF list came out for Jan 1970 and was published in CIA in Feb 1970.

CIA = Chess in Australia magazine, not the US Central Intelligence Agency. confused me for a moment too

Supreme Leader what you are saying is that we had a rating system from 1957 and then from 1970 we went to a national ratings list with all other states????

What happened before 1957??? how did they determine ratings??? :confused:

chesslover
15-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Chesslover, what would you prefer, the minor irritation of the "sssshhhh sssshhhh" of Shaun Press (BTW, each time Shaun said "sssshhhh sssshhhh" I noticed the noise levels dropped appreciably) or to have Shaun (and other arbiters) do absolutely nothing and thereby have an unacceptable level (major irritation) of noise?

As for Shaun being "inflexible", I would use the term "strong willed" rather than "inflexible". Sure, one doesn't win too many arguments with Shaun, but yet at the same time I have found him to be a rational person in my dealings with him.

I have been the main organiser in a few small scale chess tournaments (15 to 40 players) and assisted others in running a few larger ones (40 to 60 players) and I can assure you that its not as easy as it looks!

Stop making a mountain out of a molehill! :mad:

From the sausage sizzles that I have recently experienced the cost has been either $1 or $2 (mainly $2), so a $2 charge does not seem excessive to me (although it is at the "top end" of the $1 to $2 price range - then again, perhaps the "Doeberl sausages" were high quality sausages?).

As for why directions were not given to other places, maybe Doeberl organisers like Roger McCart had other more important things to worry about as regards running the Doeberl? Why didn't Jose ask a Doeberl organiser (or other chess players) if there were other places to eat?

I don't know. if people dont tell players and spectators clearly that there are eating places nearby, then most assume that the expensive sausage sizzle and hamburgers are the only thing there is. Remember that when that Italian man got up he said that the club was closed on Friday and Monday and that people could have a sizzle and burger. Nowhere was it said where the restaurents were or maps given

As for Shaun, you call him strong willed, I call him inflexible and absolutly authoritarian as an arbiter. Mnay times you do not even argue with him for he threatens to kick you out and has zero tolerence for the complaining person if he thinks they are wrong. Compared to him Charles is a saint.

But I wont go on. Overall the Doberl was good and I enjoyed it - except for the cups and the poor performance of my very close friend. I will come back next year God willing

I also admire all the hard work that you have put towards organising the Canterbury and other tournaments. It is good work and deserves respect and admiration :clap: :clap: I

maybe if you were one of the organisers, everybody would have had cups to drink coffee in ;) I will be happy to shake your hands next time we meet

Paul S
15-04-2004, 11:58 PM
was the constant "ssssshhhhh sssssshhhhhh shhhhhhhhh sssssssssshhhhhh"noise that came from Mr Press. It was as if he was getting paid by the ssssshhhhhhhh that he uttered.

Maybe he was being paid by the "sssshhhhh". ;)

I will be happy to shake your hands next time we meet

I look forward to you shaking my hand (and more importantly at the same time introducing yourself as Chesslover, so that I can be 100% sure of who you are instead of at present being only 60% sure!). :lol:

Bill Gletsos
16-04-2004, 12:48 AM
CIA = Chess in Australia magazine, not the US Central Intelligence Agency. confused me for a moment too
Silly goose. ;)

Supreme Leader what you are saying is that we had a rating system from 1957 and then from 1970 we went to a national ratings list with all other states????
Prior to 1970 there was no national system. From 1970 onwards it appears all the states used the NSW system with the NSW ratings officer Roger Cook becoming the National Ratings Officer.

What happened before 1957??? how did they determine ratings??? :confused:
I'm not sure.
So far 1957 is the earliest rating list I can find. However I suspect it had started earlier.

PHAT
18-04-2004, 12:34 PM
2004 Doeberl: a good event! Credit to those who do the work to stage it. The best recommendation is that so many people - like myself - continue to return.

No coffee cups - a petty problem that is now on the "2005 To Do List".
Rip-off BBQ - I didn't even know it was on, so had better fare down the road.

Now to the important Doeberl issue. Is the Italtio the best choice of venue? Note: I cannot say yeh or nay, because I do not know all the details reguarding sponsorships and Canberra specific costs and alternative options. However:

1. The main hall is always hot. For very stupid techincal reasons, the air conditioning cannot work for both the elite room (~70 players) and the main hall (~150 players) at the same time.
2. The main hall is quite noisy because: a) there are 150 people in it; b) there is no carpet; c) there is a large area of empty floor space (and a book store) inviting people to stand around chatting.
3. Main hall lighting has always been and will forever remain poor.

Question: Should/can the Doeberl decamp? I and most others will be returning in 2005, reguardless, because it is still a good event.

chesslover
18-04-2004, 12:58 PM
2004 Doeberl: a good event! Credit to those who do the work to stage it. The best recommendation is that so many people - like myself - continue to return.

No coffee cups - a petty problem that is now on the "2005 To Do List".
Rip-off BBQ - I didn't even know it was on, so had better fare down the road.

Now to the important Doeberl issue. Is the Italtio the best choice of venue? Note: I cannot say yeh or nay, because I do not know all the details reguarding sponsorships and Canberra specific costs and alternative options. However:

1. The main hall is always hot. For very stupid techincal reasons, the air conditioning cannot work for both the elite room (~70 players) and the main hall (~150 players) at the same time.
2. The main hall is quite noisy because: a) there are 150 people in it; b) there is no carpet; c) there is a large area of empty floor space (and a book store) inviting people to stand around chatting.
3. Main hall lighting has always been and will forever remain poor.

Question: Should/can the Doeberl decamp? I and most others will be returning in 2005, reguardless, because it is still a good event.

Yes It was a very good event. getting 220 people was a great acheivement. well done to all concerned - DOPs and organsiers :clap: :clap:

maybe my mates criticisms over the cup was very unfair - after all nothing can be perfect (except God) and other than that and the directions to eat elsewhere everything went perfectly.

I honestly did nto think aircon was a problem, and now that my mate knows there are other places to eat I do think havinhg it near the reasturent strip will be good. Paulsikes says that too as does my buddy amiel

arosar
04-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Sorry to be disturbing, but I am looking for a more complete pgn file on at least the Premiere section. Or is that available on auschess.org.au the final one (doeberl04.pgn)?

Thanks!

AR

Lucena
04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Sorry to be disturbing, but I am looking for a more complete pgn file on at least the Premiere section. Or is that available on auschess.org.au the final one (doeberl04.pgn)?

Thanks!

AR

where's Doeberl04.pgn? If there is such a link, I can't see it. I tried TWIC, couldn't find anything