PDA

View Full Version : whats considered high in jcl?

bunta
07-07-2005, 12:16 PM
whats considered high in jcl ratings?

Alan Shore
07-07-2005, 01:03 PM
What's considered high in ACF ratings? What's considered high in FIDE ratings?

Seems pretty damn subjective to me. I reckon, when you reach the Top 50 that's a good standard, high is probably Top 10.

Thunderspirit
07-07-2005, 04:13 PM
whats considered high in jcl ratings?

High depends on where you are... It's about 600 if you play at Belconnen Chess Club...

Bill Gletsos
07-07-2005, 04:24 PM
High depends on where you are... It's about 600 if you play at Belconnen Chess Club...I think he means with regards the NSWJCL rating system Lee.

IM_bob
07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
bunta (you're a junior i'm assuming)

really "high" is very subjective and all depends on the number of tournaments you play (in nswjcl, if you lose to another person, you only lose 90% of the rating points your opponent gains. this information was passed onto me by allan wright), how old you are (look at raymond already in the high 1000s) and of course how much you involve chess in your life (books, net blitz games etc)

i'm about 900 atm but i still believe there is much left in me for improvement. in fact whatever your rating is, human nature dictates that you will never be satisfied and that you will simply wish for more. therefore my advice to you would be to continue fueling your chess-playing passions and you will come to realise it is unnecessary to look to ratings to derive your contentment from. after all, there are many underrated players and you could well be one !

bunta
08-07-2005, 10:20 AM
bunta (you're a junior i'm assuming)

really "high" is very subjective and all depends on the number of tournaments you play (in nswjcl, if you lose to another person, you only lose 90% of the rating points your opponent gains. this information was passed onto me by allan wright), how old you are (look at raymond already in the high 1000s) and of course how much you involve chess in your life (books, net blitz games etc)

i'm about 900 atm but i still believe there is much left in me for improvement. in fact whatever your rating is, human nature dictates that you will never be satisfied and that you will simply wish for more. therefore my advice to you would be to continue fueling your chess-playing passions and you will come to realise it is unnecessary to look to ratings to derive your contentment from. after all, there are many underrated players and you could well be one !

are you bob liang? if not then dw bout my message. yeah i guess you got a point there.. oh ok is that how that rating system works.. hmm

Libby
08-07-2005, 02:54 PM
High depends on where you are... It's about 600 if you play at Belconnen Chess Club...

The ACT is not quite the chess slums Lee (although I'm sure it was tongue in cheek :hmm: )

Given half the Belconnen Premier participants are Juniors (including the top three seeds) - 600 is a relatively modest rating even at Belconnen.

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/results/Belconnen/2005BelPremier.htm

I'd also suggest your perception of a "high" or "good" rating depends very much on where you are yourself at any given point in time. Newbies can't wait to crack 1000 until they get there and suddenly don't rate that number very highly at all. It's an aspirational thing.

Denis_Jessop
08-07-2005, 04:11 PM
The ACT is not quite the chess slums Lee (although I'm sure it was tongue in cheek :hmm: )

Given half the Belconnen Premier participants are Juniors (including the top three seeds) - 600 is a relatively modest rating even at Belconnen.

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/results/Belconnen/2005BelPremier.htm

I'd also suggest your perception of a "high" or "good" rating depends very much on where you are yourself at any given point in time. Newbies can't wait to crack 1000 until they get there and suddenly don't rate that number very highly at all. It's an aspirational thing.

Consider yourself lucky Lee to have been let off so lightly. :)

The problem with Belconnen CC is that if, you play a 600-rated junior there, you need to have a rating of about 2000 to be sure of a reasonable chance of winning.:evil: Also BCC has adults rated not much above that.

The real place where 600 is a high rating is Tuggeranong CC but that's your former home ground and also Libby's so, at this point, I shall don my flak jacket and gas masK and dive into the trenches.
:lol: :hmm: :hand:

DJ

Thunderspirit
09-07-2005, 05:15 AM
Consider yourself lucky Lee to have been let off so lightly. :)

The problem with Belconnen CC is that if, you play a 600-rated junior there, you need to have a rating of about 2000 to be sure of a reasonable chance of winning.:evil: Also BCC has adults rated not much above that.

The real place where 600 is a high rating is Tuggeranong CC but that's your former home ground and also Libby's so, at this point, I shall don my flak jacket and gas masK and dive into the trenches.
:lol: :hmm: :hand:

DJ

Libby and Denis got the joke... Bill I'm surprised you didn't. Of course I was kidding. Junior Chess goes in up's and down's, and atm ACT Jnr's is very much an up. There was a time where I was the ACT's 3rd highest rated junior at 1252 (which doesn't say much) The other two: Moylan, Alyling.

Denis makes a point, about needing to be 2000 to be resonably assured to win. Tuggeranong at times has some good players, but now there are very few high rated players there (note, the difference between good and high rated), so ATM I would be probably 3rd seed behind Mos and Milan... which isn't much good, cause I'm a rabbit...

Bill Gletsos
09-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Libby and Denis got the joke... Bill I'm surprised you didn't. Oh I got it, but your answer was more likely to confuse him rather than be informative.
It was clear he was referring to jcl ratings not junior ratings.
Since he is from NSW it was reasonable to assume he meant NSWJCL ratings.

brett
26-07-2005, 12:03 AM
NSWJCL Rating
For a primary school student I think anything over 600 is above average... and high school student anywhere over 900 upwards is pretty decent.

Top players are 1000+