PDA

View Full Version : chess scholarships?

bunta
07-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey, do they ever offer chess scholarships in NSW for juniors? Just curious

WhiteElephant
07-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Hey, do they ever offer chess scholarships in NSW for juniors? Just curious

Do you mean scholarships to schools/ unis or a junior training squad type thing?

I was recently reading about the University of Texas in Dallas where they offer various scholarships (full-fee, half-fee and others) to National Masters 2000+ and above. Other unis in the US are also beginning to offer similar programs. Hopefully one day an Australian uni will be able to offer something like that.

bunta
10-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Do you mean scholarships to schools/ unis or a junior training squad type thing?

I was recently reading about the University of Texas in Dallas where they offer various scholarships (full-fee, half-fee and others) to National Masters 2000+ and above. Other unis in the US are also beginning to offer similar programs. Hopefully one day an Australian uni will be able to offer something like that.

oh ok.. yeah thats what i meant, but you have to be really good don't you? what if your a rapidly improving player? but texas is too far, lol

WhiteElephant
11-07-2005, 01:18 AM
oh ok.. yeah thats what i meant, but you have to be really good don't you? what if your a rapidly improving player? but texas is too far, lol

Hi bunta,

I'm afraid there are many rapidly improving players around, which is a good thing, but makes it very difficult to qualify for a Univerity of Texas scholarship. Playing strength is more important since the aim of the program is to enable UTD to field a chess team which will win the Intervarsity Comps which will lead to increased funding for the chess program and other benefits.

You have to be at least 2000, preferably 2200, or a girl, in which case you might sneak in with 1800+.

bunta
13-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi bunta,

I'm afraid there are many rapidly improving players around, which is a good thing, but makes it very difficult to qualify for a Univerity of Texas scholarship. Playing strength is more important since the aim of the program is to enable UTD to field a chess team which will win the Intervarsity Comps which will lead to increased funding for the chess program and other benefits.

You have to be at least 2000, preferably 2200, or a girl, in which case you might sneak in with 1800+.

oh ok, how do you know about this? and what makes that place so good?

Kaitlin
02-08-2005, 11:51 AM
wat is this stuff... do they have a site I can read or is it only for like American peeps?