PDA

View Full Version : Chapman not playing chess?

rob
05-07-2005, 03:01 PM
It seems that Mark J Chapman hasn't been playing competitive chess for a while, does anyone know why?

He was a keen strong player so it would suprise me if he's totally given up.

pballard
05-07-2005, 04:45 PM
It seems that Mark J Chapman hasn't been playing competitive chess for a while, does anyone know why?

He was a keen strong player so it would suprise me if he's totally given up.

He still plays, and he's pretty darn good (at least compared to the likes of me), in fact he's an IM. He played in the last Australian Championship (2003-04) and still plays weekenders too I think. He played some Adelaide interclub last year though I didn't sight him this year. Perhaps because he's rated way above everyone else there so he's on a hiding to nothing ratings wise.

rob
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
He still plays, and he's pretty darn good (at least compared to the likes of me), in fact he's an IM. He played in the last Australian Championship (2003-04) and still plays weekenders too I think. He played some Adelaide interclub last year though I didn't sight him this year. Perhaps because he's rated way above everyone else there so he's on a hiding to nothing ratings wise.

Thanks for the above info.
However, you are referring to Mark Chapman. Whereas I was enquiring about Mark J Chapman, he was one of the top rated juniors in WA about a year ago.

pballard
07-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the above info.
However, you are referring to Mark Chapman. Whereas I was enquiring about Mark J Chapman, he was one of the top rated juniors in WA about a year ago.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

I hope he keeps playing. Probably the only chance I have of ever beating Mark Chapman :) (I've lost count of how many consecutive losses I have to the South Australian Mark Chapman, but I suspect it's well into double digits).