PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Situation

bassdrone01
02-07-2005, 12:00 PM
I have a question. My son and I were playing and he whooped up on me pretty good. But we ran into a unique situation His king, knight and queen had me backed up with no where to go when he made his move. Though I was not in check (he couldn't immediately jump me) I could not move anywhere without being in check and thus could not move. So is this checkmate or something else? :hmm:

Alan Shore
02-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I have a question. My son and I were playing and he whooped up on me pretty good. But we ran into a unique situation His king, knight and queen had me backed up with no where to go when he made his move. Though I was not in check (he couldn't immediately jump me) I could not move anywhere without being in check and thus could not move. So is this checkmate or something else? :hmm:

If you had only a king (or the king was the only one of your pieces you can move) and the above situation occurred, it would be a stalemate (a draw).

Here's some examples: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Four_examples_of_stalemate.png

bassdrone01
02-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Dear Belthasar,

The four pieces mentioned were the only ones on the board. My black king was on H5. His pieces were QF4, NF5 (I think that's how Knight on F5 is suppose to be noted and KF6. It was my turn and I was not in check but could not move anywhere without being in check.

Thanks!

Garvinator
02-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Dear Belthasar,

The four pieces mentioned were the only ones on the board. My black king was on H5. His pieces were QF4, NF5 (I think that's how Knight on F5 is suppose to be noted and KF6. It was my turn and I was not in check but could not move anywhere without being in check.

Thanks!
yes, this is drawn, stalemate. Also the notation for a knight move is N not K, K is for a king move.