PDA

View Full Version : Non-submission of results for Fide Rating list

Lucena
01-07-2005, 06:11 PM
According to a number of credible reports I have heard, Australia has not submitted tournaments to be rated in the July Fide Rating list. Can anyone tell me what has happened, and if there is any possibility of remedying this situation before the next list in October?

shaun
01-07-2005, 06:33 PM
This appears to be correct. The FIDE site (www.fide.com) does not have any Australian tournaments on their list of submitted events. (http://www.fide.com/ratings/download/jul05eve.txt)

The Doeberl Cup was sent to Gary Bekker for rating so I am not sure what has happened. Either Gary or Denis Jessop would (or should) know, and maybe even Lee Forace has some clues.

Mischa
01-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Lee Forace...why would he know?
Was there any tourny's that were promised a FIDE rating in this time period?
I would be interested to know as these are the people who might be most affected.
On another issue... I am told only one division at Doeberl was FIDE rated.....seems ridiculous when you look at at the field in the major.

Ian_Rogers
01-07-2005, 09:15 PM
This is not the first time that Australian tournaments have missed out on being rated.

I sent Gary Bekker a reminder in early June that the Doeberl Cup had apparently not been submitted but received no reply.

Ian

Lucena
01-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Lee Forace...why would he know?
Was there any tourny's that were promised a FIDE rating in this time period?
I would be interested to know as these are the people who might be most affected.

I know at least one person who was expecting a FIDE rating for the July period.

Denis_Jessop
02-07-2005, 05:20 PM
I sent an e-mail to Gary Bekker yesterday asking what the score is but haven't yet received a reply. I'll pass on any news as soon as I hear it.

DJ

Bereaved
10-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Hello everybody,

I spoke with Gary Bekker today on an unrelated matter, and in the course of conversation, the matter of this thread came up.

He asked that I would present his most sincere apologies to the Australian Chess community regarding the ratings, as he had in fact received the majority of files to be rated, and in the course of a busy life, did not send them off prior to the deadline for the June list. He assured me that the events in question would all be rated on the October list, in addition to any subsequent events, and that unfortunately that was the best he could do, as once the deadline has passed, FIDE does not rate any event received until the next list, irrespective of what form of entreaty might be employed, which for me is understandable when one considers the amount of number crunching required for a pool of players that is far in excess of our local population, in addition to which is the need to verify game scores and the like to ensure that there are no blemishes on events to be rated, eg inadequate time controls, fixed results, composed/ unplayed games, beforehand agreed results, etc

He had suggested to me that he would have replied to this on this forum himself already, but appeared to have deleted his password when it was sent to him,

So once again on behalf of Gary Bekker, I wish to offer his humble apologies to the chess public by way of an explanation, but for which he can make submission on the October list the only amends possible,

Take care and God Bless,
Macavity ( for and on behalf of Gary Bekker, )

eclectic
11-07-2005, 12:00 AM
this doesn't wash with me

having someone apologise on his behalf makes it look like he doesn't want to face the music

i'm sure stml could have provided him with a new password

using being busy as an excuse ... there's the saying

"the busy person gets things done"

imagine if you were a player whose becoming a GM depended on a result from australia being submitted and it wasn't ...

eclectic

jase
11-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Gary is apologising for a stuff-up, and that washes fine with me. He does an exemplary job for the ACF - has done for a considerable period now - and at times has only continued in the role because no-one else has been willing to take on the gig.

Fortunately there is no potential GM reliant on these tournament submissions. And if there were a GM norm would still stand, as the relevant events will still be rated, just suffering a lag until the next list. I do take your point eclectic, however the mistake has been made and owned up to.

It's an unfortunate reality that 99% of comments made about chess officials here are when things go awry; it's all brickbats and a jihad on florists.

The ACF ought to submit tournaments that are factually correct. Perhaps this lag will allow the ACF to ensure this is done, given the suggestion of impropriety concerning the St.George tournament (the content of whose thread kicked off this one).

WhiteElephant
11-07-2005, 03:02 AM
this doesn't wash with me

having someone apologise on his behalf makes it look like he doesn't want to face the music

i'm sure stml could have provided him with a new password

using being busy as an excuse ... there's the saying

"the busy person gets things done"

imagine if you were a player whose becoming a GM depended on a result from australia being submitted and it wasn't ...

eclectic

Hi eclectic,

Have you actually met Gary? I doubt it, otherwise you wouldn't be criticising him like that.

Like Jase said, Gazza does an excellent job and I doubt his number 1 priority is posting on this forum - he passed on his apology, that is good enough for me.

W.E.

Bereaved
11-07-2005, 04:28 AM
Hi everyone,
I sent an email to skip to suggest that he email Gary a new password, and he will do so when Gary emails him, which I will suggest to him tomorrow,

I don't know what the form is here, but I am not trying to do anything wrong by mentioning this offside discussion.

I also personally feel that Gary does a great job, and had no problem posting this statement for him, owing to that respect,

All the best, God Bless, Macavity

gbekker
24-07-2005, 04:18 AM
Unfortunately I did not submit Australia's recent tournament results to FIDE in time for inclusion in the July FIDE rating list. I wish to apologize to both the ACF and all of Australia's FIDE-rated players whom I have a let down by my failure to submit the recent FIDE rating reports in a timely manner.

When I took on the role of ACF International Ratings Officer, there had previously been no ACF International Ratings Officer position, FIDE reports were often submitted late. There were rarely more than two FIDE rated events held in Australia in any given year, and these were restricted only to players rated well over 2000.

Since then, I have aimed to ensure that tournament reports are submitted regularly, that players and organisers receive copies of relevant FIDE rating calculations via e-mail and the web, and to encourage as many tournaments to be FIDE rated as possible. As a result there are now the same number of FIDE rated events held each month, as there were each year when I first took on the job. This increase in FIDE rated tournaments, combined with my work, family and study commitments mean that I occassionally find it difficult to keep up to date with all of the rating reports.

This is not the first I have failed to submit tournament results on time. A similar incident occurred several years ago. I will ensure that all recently completed events are included in the next FIDE rating list.

I am willing to resign from the role of ACF International Ratings Officer if anybody else would like to take over, and I would gladly provide assistance to them where I can.

In the meantime, I will process any tournaments which are sent to me as promptly as I am able to.

Please feel free to visit my Oceania Chess website http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/ for a calendar of forthcoming FIDE rated tournaments and for the FIDE rating calculations of those events which have already been processed.

Regards,

Gary Bekker
gbekker@mira.net

gbekker
24-07-2005, 04:22 AM
Dear FIDE Ratings Administrators,

1. Ratings Reports
The Australian Chess Federation wishes to submit the following tournament reports for inclusion in the forthcoming FIDE Rating List:

North Sydney Club Championship, Sydney (AUS)
Dates: 08.02.05 - 19.04.05
Organiser: Norman Greenwood
Web Site: http://www.northsydneychess.org/

St.George Club Championship & Reserves, Sydney (AUS)
Dates: 22.02.05 - 03.05.05
Organiser: Charles Zworestine
Web Site: -

City of Sydney Championship, Sydney (AUS)
Dates: 27.02.05 - 03.04.05
Organiser: Peter Cassettari
Web Site: http://www.nswca.org.au

Begonia Open, Ballarat (AUS)
Dates: 12.03.05 - 14.03.05
Organiser: Patrick Cook
Web Site: http://www.auschess.org.au/ballarat/bccindex.htm

The Italo-Australian Club 43rd Doeberl Cup, Canberra (AUS)
Dates: 25.03.05 - 28.03.05
Organiser: Roger McCart
Web Site: http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/

Midland Masters, Perth (AUS)
Dates: 30.03.05 - 15.06.05
Organiser: Rob Maris
Web Site: http://users.cjb.net/wachessresults/2005masters.html

Box Hill FIDE Rated Tournament, Melbourne (AUS)
Dates: 26.04.05 - 05.07.05
Organiser: Gerrit Hartland
Web Site: http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/ and
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2005/e0504tfr/event.htm.

Yours Sincerely,
IA Gary Bekker
FIDE Oceania Zone President
July 2005

WhiteElephant
24-07-2005, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=gbekker]I am willing to resign from the role of ACF International Ratings Officer if anybody else would like to take over[QUOTE]

No...................................don't do it Gary. We would all be worse off..

antichrist
24-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Gary, I and am sure many others have been in the same position. It you have too much pressure and it is getting to you my advice is to resign.

Otherwise we should be able to understand your post and be tolerant and thankful that someone is doing the job.