PDA

View Full Version : chess marketing puff

Garvinator
01-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Since we have had a marketing puff debate previously ;) and there doesnt seem to actually be a thread dedicated to instances of chess marketing puff, I thought I would create such a thread :whistle:

The reason for this thread is this article:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2484 which is about a match to be played over the internet between USA and Russia. No probs there, but is the following claim that I am calling into question?

Featured in this event of the century will be some of the world’s greatest chess grand masters, such as, Susan Polgar (left), who has ranked in the top three women in the world for the last twenty years. Polgar is currently ranked #1 in the United States.
Ok, I read this as saying that Susan has been in the top three women for the last twenty years. That is fine and probably is true :uhoh: . It is the bolded sentence that I have a problem with. I read it is as saying that she is the number 1 ranked chess player in USA, which according to the fide rating list is incorrect as Nakamura is currently rated number 1.

Maybe they left out a word- woman, in the bolded sentence :rolleyes:

Thoughts :hmm:

Ian Rout
01-07-2005, 09:44 AM
The bit about

Ok, I read this as saying that Susan has been in the top three women for the last twenty years. That is fine and probably is true
is also somewhat dubious since while technically true it implies that she has put in performances to that standard each year, whereas in fact she has been completely inactive for nearly half of it.

I think Bobby Fischer has also been in the world's top three for the same period (and longer). Unfortunately he is no longer eligible to represent the USA.

Bill Gletsos
01-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok, I read this as saying that Susan has been in the top three women for the last twenty years. That is fine and probably is true :uhoh: . It is the bolded sentence that I have a problem with. I read it is as saying that she is the number 1 ranked chess player in USA, which according to the fide rating list is incorrect as Nakamura is currently rated number 1.Actually the number 1 ranked player from the USA on the FIDE list who is not listed as inactive is Gata Kamsky rated 2700. Nakamura is only 2660.

ElevatorEscapee
01-07-2005, 06:56 PM
WORLD BAGIRANDOM CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP 2005

First Prize: $1,000,000*
*Prize may be reduced if fewer than 500,000 entrants.

Where: Bendigo Chess Club
When: Wednesday July 6th, 8:00pm
Entry Fee: $2

What is BagiRandom?

A screen is placed horizontally along the middle of the board so that neither player can see his opponent’s side. Players then place their pieces randomly on their own side of the board with the following restrictions:

Pawns must be placed on separate files, (i.e. no doubled pawns),

Pawns must not be placed on the back rank,

Pawns may only move two squares forward on the first move if
they are placed on the second rank,

Bishops must be placed on squares of opposite colours, (one on a
black square, and one on a white square).

After both players have placed their pawns and pieces, the screen is then removed, and play can begin. The normal rules of chess apply, including castling, (but only if a player has placed his King and Rook(s) on their normal chess starting squares).

If the initial position is such that the Black king is in check, then his opponent may replace the king on any legal square in Black's half of the board.

If the initial position is such that the White king is in check, then White must move his king out of check on his first move.

If the initial position is such that either side is in checkmate, then the game is declared finished, with the player giving checkmate considered the winner.

If the initial position is such that both sides are in checkmate, then the game is declared drawn.

A Brief History of BagiRandom

A couple of years ago, former World Chess Champion Bobby Fischer came up with a form of varied baseline chess, where a computer randomly selected where a players pieces would be placed on his first rank. He dubbed it ‘FischeRandom’.

“Today’s chess players are becoming slaves to computers”, explained Fischer, lamenting the fact that top level grandmasters try to compile computer databases of all their potential opponents’ games.

His solution? Replace normal chess with FischeRandom. Or in other words, for chess players to stop themselves becoming slaves to computers, all they had to do was get a computer to tell them where to put their pieces!

This evoked memories of a chess variant we used to play at high school, we called it ‘Battle Chess’. After a tightening up of the rules, a new chess variant was ready to impress the world. Sadly, some computer software company brought out a game with the same name, so a new name was required.

I was at a loss at what to call it, when I approached two Bendigo players intent on their lightning game and asked them what they thought would be a good name.

‘Bagirov!”, they shouted in unison, obviously referring to the famous Latvian GrandMaster, Vladimir Bagirov, and who could be more worthy of having a game named after them? Thus, BagiRandom was born.

arosar
01-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Actually the number 1 ranked player from the USA on the FIDE list who is not listed as inactive is Gata Kamsky rated 2700. Nakamura is only 2660.

Gata is reported to be making a comeback at Corus next year.

AR

Spiny Norman
02-07-2005, 08:30 AM
WORLD BAGIRANDOM CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP 2005

I'll be there, possibly with junior Frost(s) in tow. I could use $1M ... pay off some of those credit cards. ;) Also got your note re: Sunday "possum walk". I'll have a chat to the missus about that. Sounds like fun.

ElevatorEscapee
02-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Cheers, hope you enjoy your holiday! :)