PDA

View Full Version : God giving queen start

antichrist
28-06-2005, 03:57 PM
World champion Steinitz (?) is quoted as saying that "not even God could give him a queen start".

If God offered you a queen start would you accept?

Multiply voting allowed, confidential poll

auriga
28-06-2005, 04:16 PM
mate, you've lost the plot now :D

eclectic
28-06-2005, 04:17 PM
if in the morning you knocked on the doors of a psychiatric facility and asked to play a game of chess against "God" ... you'd be fully preoccupied competing in a large simul that afternoon and evening ... :owned:

eclectic

Aaron Bellette
28-06-2005, 04:51 PM
mate, you've lost the plot now :D
What do you mean "now"? ;)

AB

Bereaved
28-06-2005, 05:12 PM
This poll fails to include the now trademark 'Another silly poll by a/c' . I suppose the poll is silly enough as a/c knows, that no comment is required.

A further chess reference to the almighty God is: The late C.H.O'D Alexander wrote that "If God played God in the Benoni, I think that White would win; at lower levels, however, Black has excellent chances." ( Sourced from "The Benoni for the tournament player" by John Nunn, Batsford 1982)

As it is, I don't think that one is supposed to set oneself up as competition for God; unless of course ( gasp, horror!!!) one were the ( gasp horror!!)... :lol:

All the best and God Bless,
Macavity

NB.-esp A/C

Aaron Bellette
28-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Just out of interest, does anyone know how the name Benoni came about? From my (limited) understanding of Aramaic, Ben-Oni means "Son of Sorrow". Is that supposed to be some indication of Black's chances? ;)

AB

Bill Gletsos
28-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Just out of interest, does anyone know how the name Benoni came about? From my (limited) understanding of Aramaic, Ben-Oni means "Son of Sorrow". Is that supposed to be some indication of Black's chances? ;)

ABThe Oxford Companion of Chess states:

The name comes from Ben-Oni oder die Vertheidigungen die Gambitzuge im Schach by Aaron Reinganum published in 1825. Ben-Oni is Hebrew for 'child of my sorrow'. When he was depressed Reinganum turned to his chessboard, and the book was the result of his analysis.

antichrist
28-06-2005, 06:35 PM
While you are there Bill, Queens Gambit previously was Leppo, Lippo or El Leppo. Is it named after Leppo in Syria? Where I don't think they even play much chess.

Bill Gletsos
28-06-2005, 06:42 PM
While you are there Bill, Queens Gambit previously was Leppo, Lippo or El Leppo. Is it named after Leppo in Syria? Where I don't think they even play much chess.Now although the Queen's Gambit was first mentioned by Lucena, the opening was recommended by Stamma, after whose home town, Aleppo, it is sometimes named.

The Aleppo Gambit is the obsolete name for the Queen's Gambit.

Bereaved
28-06-2005, 08:40 PM
From another Source:
Benoni Tale

Rachel is dying in childbed

Jakob: He is of the rightful - and his name shall be Ben-Jamin ( Son of Joy )
Rachel :No - I know better. Ben - Oni is the name of the new-born"

The name Ben-Oni was an allusion to the town of On in Egypt, the town where Osiris reigned - Osiris, Lord of the Dead.
And to the emotional mind Ben - Oni equalled "Son of Death"

With apologies to Thomas Mann: Josef and his brothers, 1933, and to the old testament

- from Introductory page of " Son of Sorrow: Modern Benoni: Survry of a Structure" by Steffen Zeuthen, published by Zeuss Transactions, Denmark 1973

Take care and God Bless,
Macavity

antichrist
28-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Now although the Queen's Gambit was first mentioned by Lucena, the opening was recommended by Stamma, after whose home town, Aleppo, it is sometimes named.

The Aleppo Gambit is the obsolete name for the Queen's Gambit.

Thanks, and yes it is Aleppo, Syria, I have found out.

Kevin Bonham
07-07-2005, 01:58 AM
I think anyone above about 1700 strength would vote yes to all the poll options, if they bothered voting at all. (Although, of course, the first one is a hypothetical because I don't believe God exists.)

I don't like odds games personally, and generally don't play them. They're just not chess.

Garvinator
07-07-2005, 02:00 AM
(Although, of course, the first one is a hypothetical because I don't believe God exists.)
so then you would win on time ;)

Denis_Jessop
07-07-2005, 05:44 PM
so then you would win on time ;)

Or, to be pedantic, KB would win on forfeit as God would not arrive at the chessboard within an hour of the prescribed starting time.:doh: Indeed, if she doesn't exist she wouldn't arrive at all.:wall:

DJ

Kevin Bonham
07-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Amusingly the wording of 6.7 actually makes no reference to the case of a player not arriving at all. It only refers to players arriving more than an hour late although it is universally understood to mean "fails to arrive ... within one hour after the scheduled start of the session" whether the player actually arrives or not.

This reminds me of the time there was some kind of atheists vs Christians debate in the ACF newsletter (of all places - no idea what started it) and I interjected with a silly discussion of whether DOPs who believe God exists should penalise players praying during their games for having recourse to sources of advice under 12.2a.

A brief search of the FIDE rating list reveals no Gods but over 100 Jesuses.

Denis_Jessop
07-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Amusingly the wording of 6.7 actually makes no reference to the case of a player not arriving at all. It only refers to players arriving more than an hour late although it is universally understood to mean "fails to arrive ... within one hour after the scheduled start of the session" whether the player actually arrives or not.

This reminds me of the time there was some kind of atheists vs Christians debate in the ACF newsletter (of all places - no idea what started it) and I interjected with a silly discussion of whether DOPs who believe God exists should penalise players praying during their games for having recourse to sources of advice under 12.2a.

Yes - the law seems to assume that the player actually arrives but surely isn't confined to that.

On the other point, I haven't, as an arbiter, noticed any players praying for divine guidance but I did see one player listening to a CD of music by Mozart and wondered, as Mozart's music is said to increase one's IQ by 10%, if I should warn him about using a performance enhancing susbstance or, perhaps, a source of information (or should it be inspiration?).

DJ

antichrist
07-07-2005, 11:34 PM

I am guilty of kicking that one off with something like the DOP barring God from the chessroom before the comp. and we got some bites and funny stories.

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2005, 02:01 AM
On the other point, I haven't, as an arbiter, noticed any players praying for divine guidance

During the recent Tas Open, as I walked past a church between rounds a rather smug preacher actually wandered out the door and said "hello!" to me. A vision flashed through my mind of an absurd scenario in which I might respond with "Can you help me? I would like to accept Jesus Christ as my personal Saviour, but can we be quick about this, I am playing an extremely underrated junior in 45 minutes and I need all the help I can get!" During the game itself said extremely underrated junior at a certain point clasped his hands upwards in a manner that made me wonder if he was praying. If so it did not do him any good.

as Mozart's music is said to increase one's IQ by 10%,

Is this so? Or is it more that people with high IQs tend to like it?

Alan Shore
08-07-2005, 01:25 PM
On the other point, I haven't, as an arbiter, noticed any players praying for divine guidance but I did see one player listening to a CD of music by Mozart and wondered, as Mozart's music is said to increase one's IQ by 10%, if I should warn him about using a performance enhancing susbstance or, perhaps, a source of information (or should it be inspiration?).

For KB: I don't know about actually measuring the increase in terms of IQ but research does show a variety of classical music like Mozart does stimulate the mind to improve levels of concentration, leading to better productivity than silence and much, much better than background distractions such as television.

Spiny Norman
08-07-2005, 04:40 PM
During the game itself said extremely underrated junior at a certain point clasped his hands upwards in a manner that made me wonder if he was praying.

Its not just the prayer that you want to be worrying about KB ... its the really sneaky stuff like the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. e.g.

Word of Knowledge: your opponent knows in advance what you're going to play and has time to prepare with his books before the game

Working of Miracles: your opponent has a completely lost position, but then manages to find a double rook sacrifice and force perpetual check

;)