PDA

View Full Version : Fritz 9

Aaron Bellette
24-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Just a short note to tell you there is a very interesting article on the ChessBase website about the prototype Fritz 9 engine that is slated for release later this year. It is currently in competition with Rustam Kasimzhanov in New York. It is evidently going to be significantly different from previous Fritz incarnations in that it will be more oriented towards humans as opponents rather than other computer engines.

I apologise that I can't post the direct URL but my workplace has just added the ChessBase site to its filter :eek: :cry: but I will add it later when I get home.

Cheers,

Aaron.

Alan Shore
24-06-2005, 02:40 PM
I apologise that I can't post the direct URL but my workplace has just added the ChessBase site to its filter :eek: :cry: but I will add it later when I get home.

Can't stand those jerks in IT who filter harmless sites at work/uni/wherever.

I can't even acces this site at uni cos it has 'chat' in the URL title. :rolleyes:

Trent Parker
24-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Next thing ya know they'll be filtering this site..... :doh: :wall:

Aaron Bellette
24-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Next thing ya know they'll be filtering this site..... :doh: :wall:
That's why I stopped posting all of a sudden in Canberra - the hospital filtered out the YaBB board. I was studying at home so I enjoyed the occasional post at work! :(

AB

Jesse Jager
29-06-2005, 12:31 PM
My school has filtered anything with "chess" in it

auriga
29-06-2005, 12:42 PM
the funniest job i worked at in recent years was next to a guy at a sydney govt department. he installed a new firewall that replaced all employee emails with the word 'black' to 'african american'!? he was also disallowing all weather sites (eg. www.bom.gov.au) which was a pretty critical site for the outdoor technicians. listening to the feedback calls were hilarious.

Aaron Bellette
29-06-2005, 02:54 PM
the funniest job i worked at in recent years was next to a guy at a sydney govt department. he installed a new firewall that replaced all employee emails with the word 'black' to 'african american'!? he was also disallowing all weather sites (eg. www.bom.gov.au) which was a pretty critical site for the outdoor technicians. listening to the feedback calls were hilarious.
Especially if you were using the word "black" as a descriptor of paint, hair, pen (hand me the African American pen please), etc. Also, it's amazing how so many so-called African Americans (in these e-mails) have never been anywhere near either Africa or America. :rolleyes:

AB

pballard
29-07-2005, 03:22 PM
the funniest job i worked at in recent years was next to a guy at a sydney govt department. he installed a new firewall that replaced all employee emails with the word 'black' to 'african american'!?

I find that very hard to believe.

WhiteElephant
30-07-2005, 12:26 PM
When I was working at St Vincent's hospital, I logged into my TAB account and placed a few bets. That was the last time I was able to access it from there...next day I tried to log in, I got a message saying "You are trying to access an illegal betting site.' Like...what's up with that?

Spiny Norman
30-07-2005, 12:37 PM
When I was working at St Vincent's hospital, I logged into my TAB account and placed a few bets. That was the last time I was able to access it from there...next day I tried to log in, I got a message saying "You are trying to access an illegal betting site.' Like...what's up with that?

They're probably worried that you're going to start mis-appropriating funds ... :doh:

Aaron Bellette
09-08-2005, 01:32 PM

I don't know what their problem is - hospital administrations blow money on things with much less likelihood of return than a bet at the local TAB! :rolleyes:

AB

WhiteElephant
09-08-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't know what their problem is - hospital administrations blow money on things with much less likelihood of return than a bet at the local TAB! :rolleyes:

AB

That's true :)

I suspect gambling is contrary to the St Vincen't philosophy. Altruism and all that.

Bill Gletsos
27-08-2005, 06:53 PM
It looks like the German version of Fritz 9 is due for release on 23rd Sept.

Bill Gletsos
17-09-2005, 06:12 PM
English version scheduled for release before the end of October 2005

Rincewind
17-09-2005, 06:33 PM
English version scheduled for release before the end of October 2005

Ja, das ist gut.

Serpeanta
25-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Hello all,

I'm having problem with the game CD. I just installed the game (Fritz 9) onto my computer. Do I need to load the CD every time I use it? Seems like the opening book is empty if I do not put the CD into the computer - why is that? I played chess the other day and my openning was all the same every game no matter who I play - strange. Also on Fritz 9 if I make a mistake move, it is so hard to fix it. This caused me some games. It's not like chessmaster where you can move pieces around. Fritz 9 only allow you to move back or move foward - sometimes my pieces are all mess up that I need to move more than that. Also this is a dumb question but if Fritz 9 already has 1,000,000 openings why should anyone bother to download other openings.. just curious why all these opening books files are out there.

That's it for now. Thanks for any info.

Serpeanta

Spiny Norman
26-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Lots of games seem to work that way. Chessmaster 8000 is another one that requires the CDROM in the drive in order to work properly. I have tried loading the data from the CDROM to the C:\ drive but that didn't help. I did not get as far as trying to 'trick' the notebook by uninstalling Chessmaster, mapping a drive letter to a directory on C:\ where the data files were copied, then reinstalling from that mapped drive. I imagine that would work OK but haven't proven it.

Rincewind
26-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Lots of games seem to work that way. Chessmaster 8000 is another one that requires the CDROM in the drive in order to work properly. I have tried loading the data from the CDROM to the C:\ drive but that didn't help. I did not get as far as trying to 'trick' the notebook by uninstalling Chessmaster, mapping a drive letter to a directory on C:\ where the data files were copied, then reinstalling from that mapped drive. I imagine that would work OK but haven't proven it.

Something that may work is to cut an ISO image of the CDROM and then virtually mounting that with software like 120% Alcohol. Although I haven't tested this with Fritz 9 or Chessmaster 8000 it maye be worth a shot. Certainly more convenient than keeping a CD in a physical drive.

arosar
26-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I have F9 and I'm not experiencing these problems. Just reinstall and see what happens. All my files, including the .ctg and .cbh files are automatically transferred to the C:\.

AR

Serpeanta
02-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks again,

Serpeanta

Regarding my missing openning books.