PDA

View Full Version : ACF Webpage Results page

Bereaved
17-06-2005, 10:51 PM
About a year ago when I was loooking through the ACF Site, I noticed a link to a page displaying the results of Recent events.
Upon reaching the page, I saw that there were many Events from previous years and s few from that year ( 2004 ) from a variety of places, although a lot of them seemed somewhat North of Mexico.

It also suggested on the page that if one had the results of a tournament as a SP file, that they could be sent to Paul Broekhuyse, and that he would in turn Post them on the ACF site for others to see. Here is a list of the events that I sent to him.

Initially sent: 29/07/04
Resent:12/10/04
From Frankston Chess Club
Autumn Swiss 2004
The Return of the King

From Melbourne Chess Club
Anzac day 2004
City of Melbourne Open 2004
Preliminary Qualifier for the Australian Masters 2004
Raipalis Memorial group 1B
Australia Day open 2004

And a tournament for Juniors that I ran
Haileybury Brighton Interschool Term 2, 2004

Subsequently, a follow up email to Paul ( on 12/10/04 was met with the reply of:

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for sending the results - and yes I *do* want them, both for the newsletter and the tournament results on the website. I haven't had time to properly update the website pages but shall do so.

Games/tournament commentary also very welcome.

Thanks again - PaulB (Dated a couple of hours after I resent the information)

After that, the next communication was:
31/10/04
Malcolm Pyke wrote:
Dear Paul, I hoped that you could place the text of information about our tournament in the Acf Bulletin next week.
I've sent it as it's created form ( a publisher document ), and ask that you copy the text from that.
thanking you in advance,
Malcolm Pyke
P.S. Could you let me know when Melbourne's swiss perfect files will be posted on the Acf site? Thanks again.
Hi Malcolm

Could I please re-send the info as a text file? I can't read Publisher documents on my computer.

Sorry for the long delay with publishing results (It's not just MCC results that have been delayed, by the way!). Unfortunately, I'm off to China for month in a few days so results may have to wait until then.

Kind regards
Paul Broekhuyse

We are now almost at the middle of the next year ( 2005 ) and we still find the banner in the opening page reading

Tournament results

Please email your tournament results to broekhuysep@bigpond.com and we'll be happy to publish them here. All tournaments - big or small - welcome. If you have it, please email the Swiss Perfect file - cheers PaulB

And yet no results?

I wondered if anyone else knew why this delay was occuring, or if they themselves had submitted files yet to be published,

all the best Macavity

NB As a volunteer on various club committee's for the last 7 years ( or more ), I am aware of the strain that being a volunteer can be, and would be the first to recognize the excellent job that Paul has done with the bulletin. I just want to know what is going on

auriga
18-06-2005, 10:16 AM
About a year ago when I was loooking through the ACF Site, I noticed a link to a page displaying the results of Recent events.
Upon reaching the page, I saw that there were many Events from previous years and s few from that year ( 2004 ) from a variety of places, although a lot of them seemed somewhat North of Mexico.

It also suggested on the page that if one had the results of a tournament as a SP file, that they could be sent to Paul Broekhuyse, and that he would in turn Post them on the ACF site for others to see. Here is a list of the events that I sent to him.

Initially sent: 29/07/04
Resent:12/10/04
From Frankston Chess Club
Autumn Swiss 2004
The Return of the King

From Melbourne Chess Club
Anzac day 2004
City of Melbourne Open 2004
Preliminary Qualifier for the Australian Masters 2004
Raipalis Memorial group 1B
Australia Day open 2004

And a tournament for Juniors that I ran
Haileybury Brighton Interschool Term 2, 2004

Subsequently, a follow up email to Paul ( on 12/10/04 was met with the reply of:

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for sending the results - and yes I *do* want them, both for the newsletter and the tournament results on the website. I haven't had time to properly update the website pages but shall do so.

Games/tournament commentary also very welcome.

Thanks again - PaulB (Dated a couple of hours after I resent the information)

After that, the next communication was:
31/10/04
Malcolm Pyke wrote:
Dear Paul, I hoped that you could place the text of information about our tournament in the Acf Bulletin next week.
I've sent it as it's created form ( a publisher document ), and ask that you copy the text from that.
thanking you in advance,
Malcolm Pyke
P.S. Could you let me know when Melbourne's swiss perfect files will be posted on the Acf site? Thanks again.
Hi Malcolm

Could I please re-send the info as a text file? I can't read Publisher documents on my computer.

Sorry for the long delay with publishing results (It's not just MCC results that have been delayed, by the way!). Unfortunately, I'm off to China for month in a few days so results may have to wait until then.

Kind regards
Paul Broekhuyse

We are now almost at the middle of the next year ( 2005 ) and we still find the banner in the opening page reading

Tournament results

Please email your tournament results to broekhuysep@bigpond.com and we'll be happy to publish them here. All tournaments - big or small - welcome. If you have it, please email the Swiss Perfect file - cheers PaulB

And yet no results?

I wondered if anyone else knew why this delay was occuring, or if they themselves had submitted files yet to be published,

all the best Macavity

NB As a volunteer on various club committee's for the last 7 years ( or more ), I am aware of the strain that being a volunteer can be, and would be the first to recognize the excellent job that Paul has done with the bulletin. I just want to know what is going on

macavity, the problem above is typical webmaster bottleneck.
the usual modern day solution is to use a content management system (cms)
along similar lines to this bulletin board ie. you as a contributor (chess organiser) submit a report and paul as editor checks that is ok and marks it to be published on the website.

however, to install a cms system you need good web hosting with java or .net (not free hosting as this is false economy ie. money saved lost on time/resources wasted!) i think the association should seriously consider proper hosting (ie. $500 a year)

then need to install cms package. there are plenty of free ones for java or .net. people here can most likely recommend some.

getting the people/skills involved is much harder. chess has some of the most intelligent people around but getting them to work together (or encourage other to work with them) is very very hard.

however, once above system is setup up the editor would be much quicker in putting up (and updating) information.

skip to my lou
18-06-2005, 01:36 PM
however, to install a cms system you need good web hosting with java or .net (not free hosting as this is false economy ie. money saved lost on time/resources wasted!) i think the association should seriously consider proper hosting (ie. $500 a year)

Australian Hosting can be bought for under half that with PHP/MySQL support. This way they don't have to pay for application development. So many good (and free + open source) PHP/MySQL CMS products available.

http://www.netlogistics.com.au/hosting/ - These hosting packages allow installation of CMS with literally one click.

Running the site on free hosting should definitely be avoided.

paulb
20-06-2005, 05:45 PM
The results page is woefully out of date, it's true. Anybody with any bright ideas on CMS-related innovations fpr maintaining it ... I'm interested ...

auriga
22-06-2005, 03:22 PM
The results page is woefully out of date, it's true. Anybody with any bright ideas on CMS-related innovations fpr maintaining it ... I'm interested ...

does the acf website have access to php though?

paulb
22-06-2005, 04:47 PM
The website has PHP and Mysql etc. That's not the problem. I'm quite happy with the hosting. The problem is that a) I don't have the results (though I could get them from Bill Gletsos); and b) it's quite fiddly and time-consuming to convert SP files to html when you're talking about hundreds of tournaments. Maybe Pax's program can help, but generally it's a scale problem ... how to do it on an ongoing basis.

skip to my lou
22-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I'll build something within the next week, and then you can decide if you want to use it or not.

antichrist
22-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I'll build something within the next week, and then you can decide if you want to use it or not.

Gee this Stml is a top guy

pax
22-06-2005, 10:32 PM
The website has PHP and Mysql etc. That's not the problem. I'm quite happy with the hosting. The problem is that a) I don't have the results (though I could get them from Bill Gletsos); and b) it's quite fiddly and time-consuming to convert SP files to html when you're talking about hundreds of tournaments. Maybe Pax's program can help, but generally it's a scale problem ... how to do it on an ongoing basis.

Would be pretty straightforward for me to turn it into something that can add tournaments at the click of a button (maybe just crosstables if space is an issue), and handle indexing and so on. If you're interested, let me know.

The difficulty comes if you can't get sp files.

auriga
23-06-2005, 11:52 AM
sounds like good idea to utilise pax's sp tool!

if could move some bits of acf website content into database (eg. roll honour)
could write generic php interface into it (ie. form)
and maybe some people would be willing to update - split the workload.
just a thought.

skip to my lou
23-06-2005, 11:41 PM
a) I don't have the results (though I could get them from Bill Gletsos); and b) it's quite fiddly and time-consuming to convert SP files to html when you're talking about hundreds of tournaments.

If you don't have the SP files then there's not much that can be done. If you have the SP files, pax or I can modify our existing systems to suit your needs.

What I did for Mt Buller 2005 site is that as soon as I upload an SPDE, it shows on the site. I've changed this later to accept SP files and later even made it accept a ZIP file with SP files inside it.

So basically you upload the SP files and it shows on the site, I don't think you can make it much easier than that.

I'll post a preview (of the SP reader that I've already coded) early next week.

pax
24-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I suspect in this case, that a php based system might be the better solution (rather than mine Visual C++). With PHP you can easily allow certain authorised users to upload files directly and for them to be processed without the intervention of the webmaster - that would be the best way to go in terms of turnaround.