PDA

View Full Version : What N.S.W. chess has over Victoria

antichrist
11-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Bill Gletsos - undisputed BB king.
Ian Rogers, - No 1 player for a generation
Lloyd Fell - undisputed No 1 in his age group
Fred Flatow - undisputed No 1 in his age group
Phil Viner - undisputed No 1 in his age group(?)
The occasional No 1 womens player
2 NSW-based chess websites plus ACF is in "nsw"
Recently-retired most controversial, dirtest-tongue poster champion.
Poll king champion, double meaning champion, apology champion, general nuisance champion, most abused and ridiculed champion, anti-religious and mostly appropriately-named Prince of Darkness champion all in one.
Sydney Easter Cup

eclectic
11-06-2005, 10:38 PM
yes, antichrist, it is a quiet night, is it not?

;)

eclectic

antichrist
11-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I predicted this morning with 2 major comps going on. And I am going out right now, see you later, are you from vic

bergil
12-06-2005, 04:30 AM
An overwhelming regret :( that they were not born on the right side of the Murray, :confused: and a deep melancholia for not living here :doh:

:owned: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll be off now :whistle:

Aaron Bellette
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
An overwhelming regret :( that they were not born on the right side of the Murray, :confused: and a deep melancholia for not living here :doh:

:owned: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll be off now :whistle:
A case of gratuitous emoticon abuse I think.

AB

arosar
12-06-2005, 11:14 AM
A case of gratuitous emoticon abuse I think.

AB

net newbie.

AR

Aaron Bellette
12-06-2005, 11:29 AM
net newbie.

AR
Him or me? ;)

AB

Lucena
12-06-2005, 11:51 AM
I think arosar meant him not you Aaron. I agree with you, there were definitely too many emoticons :naughty: in bergil's post if you ask me

antichrist
14-06-2005, 08:53 PM
I forgot to include in the list that NSW also has everyone's favourite gay substitute (according to Jenni)

Also the worse case of chess humped back

jenni
14-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I forgot to include in the list that NSW also has everyone's favourite gay substitute (according to Jenni)

No I didn't :eek: - I merely used a description that included gay guys to describe his behaviour. :rolleyes:

Davidflude
15-06-2005, 12:22 AM
two third of five-eights of ____ ___

Ask any rugby union player if you dont know the answer.

antichrist
15-06-2005, 03:26 AM
No I didn't :eek: - I merely used a description that included gay guys to describe his behaviour. :rolleyes:

I made a similar comment to this a week ago and got into trouble for it, i.e., for slightly stretching the imagination - and both times by people who are near the wrong end of the chess ladder.

Hasn't anyheard of peotic license and slight exageration to make a flamboyant point or for convenience of language - you could never make la di da gays (or in Vic speak a "Dame Edna") - and that is coming from a person whose best mate informed him recently that his dress appel wouldn't confuse anyone re his status.

I dropped a beauty on Bethalasr(?) yesterday and he didn't have a clue what I was on about - so not wanting to feed pearls to swine I retracted (deleted).

antichrist
09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
We can run comps and get FIDE rated games without the games even being played - beat that!

arosar
10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
We can run comps and get FIDE rated games without the games even being played - beat that!

Well, that guruboy and his sugar-daddy (starter, that's you!) sure are putting in the effort, aren't they?

AR

antichrist
21-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Mexicans and Bananabenders feel quite welcome to come in swinging in St George thread and Sydney Grade Matches Joke thread.

ursogr8
21-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Well, that guruboy and his sugar-daddy (starter, that's you!) sure are putting in the effort, aren't they?

AR
Hey Mr Sydney Eccentric

I have resisted posting on this thread because I thought from the title it was for one-handed Welshers only.
But this post of yours, which I had not seen until now (because I frequently have you on IGNORE) is just too much.

Let me just summarise

> St G.....apparently NSW score the games even though the games don't exist
> NSW Grades...apparently some games will not be played even though the pairings are published
> Junior Masters FIDE........my info is that the GURU WILL run a downstream complementary event.

At least Mexicans can make reparations and move on.

Put that in your BLOG and advertise it. :uhoh:

limited regards
starter

arosar
21-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Junior Masters FIDE........my info is that the GURU WILL run a downstream complementary event.

Complementary? That's kinda like getting a set of "Made in China" steak knives instead of me Royal Doultons.

And we can't move on up north cos of the ossifying ancien regime.

AR

ursogr8
21-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Complementary? That's kinda like getting a set of "Made in China" steak knives instead of me Royal Doultons.
I am advised they will be "Made in FIDE", not "Made in China".

And we can't move on up north cos of the ossifying ancien regime.

AR

Just remind me again...why is a State Association running something as routine as a Grades competition? Isn't a State Association supposed to be concentrating on Administration and Promotion and Development? Why is the NSWCA a RUNNER_OF_ROUTINE EVENTS?

starter

arosar
21-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Just remind me again...why is a State Association running something as routine as a Grades competition? Isn't a State Association supposed to be concentrating on Administration and Promotion and Development? Why is the NSWCA a RUNNER_OF_ROUTINE EVENTS?

Well that's a bloody good question ain't it? Keep reading me blog!

AR

Spiny Norman
21-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Mexicans and Bananabenders feel quite welcome to come in swinging in St George thread and Sydney Grade Matches Joke thread.

We're all quietly terrified down here. Where's it all going to end? :uhoh: Menzies had it right when people made enquiries of him: No comment!

ursogr8
21-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Amiel

Now that the St George one seems progressed to a win for you guys, would you like one of our Mexican sportswriters to prepare a piece for your BLOG. He comes with a high reference (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=62651&postcount=6)
He would work out the actual scoreline of your fine win. And he would independently calculate the man-of-the match award.

Of course Bill will be publishing some game statistics at a later date, as we now know.

starter

antichrist
21-07-2005, 01:03 PM
We're all quietly terrified down here. Where's it all going to end? :uhoh: Menzies had it right when people made enquiries of him: No comment!

And Queen Victoria said: just lay back and think of Mother England.

antichrist
21-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Amiel

Now that the St George one seems progressed to a win for you guys, would you like one of our Mexican sportswriters to prepare a piece for your BLOG. He comes with a high reference (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=62651&postcount=6)
He would work out the actual scoreline of your fine win. And he would independently calculate the man-of-the match award.

Of course Bill will be publishing some game statistics at a later date, as we now know.

starter

I think he would promote me from being a time-waster this time. But I didn't

mind.

I can't wait for it actually.

ursogr8
06-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Well that's a bloody good question ain't it? Keep reading me blog!

AR

Bump

ursogr8
11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
The major chess clubs in Melbourne are covered for commercial insurance ($10m liabilities to third parties or property) under a policy initially organised by the ACF. I note that the NSWJCL is also covered by this policy.
But no NSW senior chess clubs seem to be taking advantage of the umbrella policy set-up by the ACF.
Have the NSW found something better? (And if yes, could we hook-in on the deal).
Are NSW Clubs covered by some other policy (eg a Leagues Club).
Are NSW Clubs not covered and feel no need to get covered?

regards
starter

Rincewind
11-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Are NSW Clubs covered by some other policy (eg a Leagues Club).

Most senior NSW clubs are held at commercial premises (sporting clubs) and would be covered by existing public liability insurance arrangements. No doubt some aren't, but I am not aware of any.

firegoat7
03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
You can read all about it on Australia's best chess blog.

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/

cheers fg7

four four two
03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Ah yes,humble pie. Would you like a piece Bill,better get it while its hot. ;)

antichrist
03-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Bill

Have NSW members received policy speeches for the various folk that are standing at the next AGM? Can we read them somewhere?

starter

You have to remember what NSW chess over Viic chess. The candidates are going to agree to a phone result before the vote takes place.

four four two
03-11-2005, 05:15 PM
You should get a tournament sponsored by Optus..."Just say the word". ;)

ursogr8
27-02-2006, 12:14 PM
A man on his way home from work, comes to a dead halt in traffic and thinks to himself, "This traffic seems worse than usual. Nothing's even moving."

He notices a police officer walking back and forth between the lines of cars, so he rolls down his window and asks, "Constable, what's the hold up?"

The constable replies, "It's Eddie McGuire. He's just so depressed about his personal life - the thought of moving with Carla & Joseph to Sydney and the state of disruption amongst his beloved Magpies, Channel nine losing the football coverage, having to give up The Footy Show, Who wants to be a Millionaire, and his Triple M radio show, that he's stopped his motorcade in the middle of the freeway and he's threatening to douse himself in
petrol and set himself on fire. He says his family hates him and he
doesn't have the money to pay for the new house renovations at Point Piper and to bring his current house in Toorak up to scratch to put it on the market. We're taking up a collection for him."

"Oh really? How much have you got so far?"

"About three hundred litres, but a lot of people are still siphoning."

antichrist
24-03-2006, 12:41 AM
"If you are not in Sydney then you are camping out!"

Spiny Norman
24-03-2006, 07:53 AM
"If you are not in Sydney then you are camping out!"
OMG ... he lives!!! ;)

bergil
24-03-2006, 11:39 AM
NSW hasn't got a state rating fee!! :owned:

antichrist
24-03-2006, 12:00 PM
OMG ... he lives!!! ;)

Because the original and best Sydney exists, there is no reason for Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane nor Heaven to exist.

four four two
24-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Getting a bit myopic in your old age are you?...or are you on some new medication?:hmm: :lol:

Davidflude
24-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Then there is the story of the busload of Australian tourists that got stuck on the road up to an oveseas ski resort that shall be nameless. The driver went outside the bus to see what was wrong and the bus slipped and went over the edge. All the passengers were killed.

The bus driver sat there crying his eyes out. Up came a ski instructor. He asked

“Where were they from”

“Sydney”

“Why are you crying”

“I had an empty seat”

Mischa
24-03-2006, 08:37 PM
:)

Lucena
24-03-2006, 10:55 PM
David, you just butchered a perfectly good lawyer joke there:naughty:

bergil
24-03-2006, 10:58 PM
NSW Chess club don't charge per visit!!

four four two
24-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Victorian clubs are not at the mercy and whim of RSL's to exist.:owned:

antichrist
24-03-2006, 11:24 PM
NSW has presidential hopefuls who are not even members - beat that.

four four two
24-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Victoria has that too...although in a slightly different manner...DC.;)

bergil
24-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Victorian clubs are not at the mercy and whim of RSL's to exist.:owned:
Let me see pay per visit or play in an RSL/Leagues club with tea/coffee and biscuits free :hmm:

antichrist
24-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Let me see pay per visit or play in an RSL/Leagues club with tea/coffee and biscuits free :hmm:

Fairfield quit the table tennis as well, they had one of the best sites in the SW

bergil
24-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Fairfield quit the table tennis as well, they had one of the best sites in the SW
Lawn bowls, cards and carpet bowls. They want more function rooms and pokies but all the chess equipment went to Parramatta.

antichrist
24-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Their ruddy TT room was used virtually 24 hours a day, always full, a terrific atmosphere

bergil
24-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Their ruddy TT room was used virtually 24 hours a day, always full, a terrific atmosphere
Yeah it upset alot of people when they got rid of a number of sub clubs

ursogr8
07-04-2006, 09:17 AM
What N.S.W. chess has over Victoria

Multiple banned players.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Garvinator
07-04-2006, 09:17 AM
What N.S.W. chess has over Victoria

Multiple banned players.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
can chess victoria actually suspend players since there is no individual membership?

ursogr8
07-04-2006, 09:20 AM
can chess victoria actually suspend players since there is no individual membership?

gg''

But of course.
CV runs events such as the Vic Championship, the Winter Interclub, the VIC Open. Theoretically a motion could be passed not to admit players to these events.

starter

Igor_Goldenberg
07-04-2006, 10:17 AM
gg''

But of course.
CV runs events such as the Vic Championship, the Winter Interclub, the VIC Open. Theoretically a motion could be passed not to admit players to these events.

starter

Or not to rate tournaments (do not submit to ACF for rating) where offenders play.

Rincewind
07-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Or not to rate tournaments (do not submit to ACF for rating) where offenders play.

I don't believe this is the situation in NSW. Matt is banned from NSWCA events and (now it seems) ACF events including Grand Prix events. However, our club tournaments are submitted to NSWCA rating officer for rating and Matthew is participating in some of our tournaments. My reading of the banning and the new ACF motion does not imply that our club tournaments would now become unratable.

Igor_Goldenberg
07-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't believe this is the situation in NSW. Matt is banned from NSWCA events and (now it seems) ACF events including Grand Prix events. However, our club tournaments are submitted to NSWCA rating officer for rating and Matthew is participating in some of our tournaments. My reading of the banning and the new ACF motion does not imply that our club tournaments would now become unratable.

I don't know about NSWCA rules or MS ban specifics. I was specifying possible actions of state association (irrespectably of whether the membership is direct or through the club)

Tomas Kessler
07-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Exactly why would Chess Victoria ban someone or not rate the tournaments they participated in? Im curious.

ursogr8
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Exactly why would Chess Victoria ban someone or not rate the tournaments they participated in? Im curious.

Tomas

I suggest you read the catalogue of 'infractions' that were in various posts in the thread about Expanding State bans. Many of those posts were 'free-standing', in that they could apply to chess in any State, or any Country, or any sport.
Mexicans are generally law-abiding ;) , but if they do err then they are unlikely to be inventive and find a new err. ;)

starter

antichrist
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Starter,
I know of at least one Mexican in that Doberl biffo a few years back, it had to be a NSWer to sort them out - funny how that guy is now banned himself.

I would have to think twice about allowing a Mexican into the SEC.

four four two
18-04-2006, 10:32 AM
AC,you seem to be under the impression that victorians cant win a major australian tournament unless some NSW player lets them...poor didums...:P

antichrist
18-04-2006, 04:23 PM
AC,you seem to be under the impression that victorians cant win a major australian tournament unless some NSW player lets them...poor didums...:P

Not exactly but I would say that Victorians could only enter (and win) big events if organised by ACTians or NSWers. Esp amongst the juniors.

Rincewind
18-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Not exactly but I would say that Victorians could only enter (and win) big events if organised by ACTians or NSWers. Esp amongst the juniors.

Is there a NSW weekender as consistently successful as Ballarat or a start up event in NSW in the last few years as successful as the Elwood, Bendigo Bank weekender was recently?

antichrist
18-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Is there a NSW weekender as consistently successful as Ballarat or a start up event in NSW in the last few years as successful as the Elwood, Bendigo Bank weekender was recently?

I could have meant non-Victorian events, they probably have to queue (follow the leader) driving to the Doeberl and get de-liced at the border.

Rincewind
18-04-2006, 04:42 PM
I could have meant non-Victorian events, they probably have to queue (follow the leader) driving to the Doeberl and get de-liced at the border.

This would be the border delousing station from which you escaped. :)

four four two
18-04-2006, 04:45 PM

Another one of your "colourful analogies".:rolleyes: :whistle:

Is there a village missing an idiot somewhere by any chance?:hmm:

antichrist
18-04-2006, 11:24 PM
This one is a toss up. Does the Victorian FG7 Vs Kessler tiff match the NSW BG Vs MS one - I will give it to NSW for longitivity.

bergil
19-04-2006, 02:09 AM
Is there a village missing an idiot somewhere by any chance?:hmm:
Yeah and it was more than one idiot but who wants to hear about the history of Victoria's founding? :P (Couldn't resist it in this thread)

bergil
19-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Maybe the NSW Open if they get more than 130-150 players, this year with as much as $9,000 in prizes.

Why aren't you and those down in the gong helping to make the Common Man a bigger tournament?

Rincewind
19-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Why aren't you and those down in the gong helping to make the Common Man a bigger tournament?

I believe Greg knows of a four letter acronym that I should reply with here.

bergil
19-04-2006, 11:47 AM
I believe Greg knows of a four letter acronym that I should reply with here.Why? What's wrong with asking those in Wollongong to support and help build the Common Man tournament up?

If you and others have tried then say so or if you and others don't like it then why not try creating a tournament you will like?

antichrist
19-04-2006, 09:06 PM
The ACF in it's pocket!

antichrist
23-04-2006, 11:19 AM
NSW has Mr Gaft who in the Doeberl supporting card bout a few years ago amply dealt with a Mr FG7 from Victoria.

To rub salt into the would, the Victorian had to be rescued by another NSWer - Mr Matt Sweeney

PHAT
23-04-2006, 11:43 AM
NSW has Mr Gaft who in the Doeberl supporting card bout a few years ago amply dealt with a Mr FG7 from Victoria.

To rub salt into the would, the Victorian had to be rescued by another NSWer - Mr Matt Sweeney
:hand:

McTaggart
23-04-2006, 12:25 PM

Doing a little bit of fishing,A/C?

four four two
28-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Well I know what Victoria has over NSW...two competitors in the Dubai Open.;) :whistle:

stupid goat
28-04-2006, 05:28 PM
and VIC has one idiot billygoat!:whistle:

antichrist
16-05-2006, 10:19 PM
From News ACE.
Victoria dominate Open division - is Brian Jones trying to start a flame war?

bergil
29-05-2006, 08:03 PM
An open state weekender that is Class 5 in the GP with $7,500 prize money guaranteed and the Biggest U1600 prize in Australia. :clap:

four four two
30-05-2006, 11:23 AM
An open state weekender that is Class 5 in the GP with $7,500 prize money guaranteed and the Biggest U1600 prize in Australia. :clap:

Its not hard to guarantee $7,500 in prize money in a city as big as Sydney when the average cost of entry is $70.:P

And as for the biggest U1600 prize... why would you make the U1600 prize bigger than 2nd prize in the open section?:hmm:

Maybe the organisers are worried that they cant get enough average club players and have to lure them out with high prize money.

Wouldnt be surprised if their are a quite few complaints from players in the top section if a 2000+ player gets less prize money even though they scored more points then some 1500 player .:whistle:

bergil
30-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Its not hard to guarantee $7,500 in prize money in a city as big as Sydney when the average cost of entry is $70.:P
I see your point, after all Melbourne is only a small backwater town! :rolleyes:

And as for the biggest U1600 prize... why would you make the U1600 prize bigger than 2nd prize in the open section?:hmm: Its called giving back to the players who normally subsidise the open prize money every other tournament. :hand:

Maybe the organisers are worried that they cant get enough average club players and have to lure them out with high prize money.Maybe they are just giving the average player a fair go and rewarding those players who play weekenders? :hmm:

Wouldnt be surprised if their are a quite few complaints from players in the top section if a 2000+ player gets less prize money even though they scored more points then some 1500 player .:whistle:That may happen in a backwater town with a few narrow minded people. :whistle:

A guaranteed minimum prize
pool of $2,750.00
Open
1st : $750
2nd : $500
3rd : $300
4th : $200

Rating Groups
(8 sections) 1st : $125

Prizes
A guaranteed minimum prize
pool of $7,500.00
Open
1st $1200
2nd $700
3rd $600
4th $500
5th $400
6th $325
7th 275

U2000-1850 1st $275 2nd $175
U1850-1700 1st $275 2nd $175
U1700 1st $275Tell me how a 2000+ player is worse off compared with the Vic open?

Oh and more GP points available in the NSW open. ;)

bergil
30-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if their are a quite few complaints from players in the top section if a 2000+ player gets less prize money even though they scored more points then some 1500 player .:whistle:But wait there's more! :rolleyes: Your Class 4 GP Tournament the Vic Open, prize money wise really only a class 2 is not better than the CJS Purdy Centenary which is also a Class 4 Grand Prix Tournament.

Prize Fund $3,900
[based on 75 players]
Prizes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th are guaranteed by the NSWCA irrespective of entries.

Open: 1st $700 2nd $400 3rd $350 4th $300 5th $250

Rating Prizes: U2000-1800, U1800-1600, U1600-1400 and U1400

1st $250 & 2nd $125 * 3rd $100 in each

antichrist
30-05-2006, 04:19 PM
What state does Rogers, Lane and Zhao come from? And Dave originally?

four four two
30-05-2006, 05:41 PM
What state does Rogers, Lane and Zhao come from? And Dave originally?

Smerdon is originally from Queensland.
Lane is from England.
Not certain of where Rogers was born,but I dont think it was NSW.
Is Zhao originally from China?:hmm:

Rincewind
30-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Not certain of where Rogers was born,but I dont think it was NSW.

My understanding (though it might be wrong) is that Ian was born in Tasmania, schooled primarily in Victoria and then moved to Sydney later on. No idea of exact dates though.

Garvinator
30-05-2006, 07:37 PM
so it looks like NSW has no real claims over the players listed for their development :P

antichrist
30-05-2006, 07:55 PM
so it looks like NSW has no real claims over the players listed for their development :P

Well NSW would have more valid claims than those Zionists but that's a different subject - but what I was getting at is that they are not Victorian, that is all that matters. We would let Voonie back in.

Igor_Goldenberg
31-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Well NSW would have more valid claims than those Zionists but that's a different subject - but what I was getting at is that they are not Victorian, that is all that matters. We would let Voonie back in.

At least NSW does not have chess players suffering from idee fixe, as well as Victoria.

Howard Dugggan, whe are you going to become a multi-client practitioner?:hmm:

MichaelBaron
31-05-2006, 12:26 PM

Whether you like it or not (you may call it zionist conspiracy) Ian Rogers is originally from Victoria. Apparently, (I can not remember who told me this, I think it was Robert Jamieson some years ago) he happens to be half-jewish.

By the way, Many of the world's top chess players and Nobel prize winners are Jewish.

To my knowlege, Palestine has only one grandmaster - a migrant from Bulgaria who does not even live there (and never did) the rest of the Palestinian intellectuals are not even Master strength.

Basil
31-05-2006, 01:18 PM
At least NSW does not have chess players suffering from idee fixe, as well as Victoria.

Howard Dugggan, whe are you going to become a multi-client practitioner?:hmm:

I am already. But patients must self admit. Getting them to accept that they are batty is the tricky part - baaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

My practice has also become prone to attacks from Play School teddies and dolls, so the people are staying away in droves :)

antichrist
31-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Whether you like it or not (you may call it zionist conspiracy) Ian Rogers is originally from Victoria. Apparently, (I can not remember who told me this, I think it was Robert Jamieson some years ago) he happens to be half-jewish.

By the way, Many of the world's top chess players and Nobel prize winners are Jewish.

To my knowlege, Palestine has only one grandmaster - a migrant from Bulgaria who does not even live there (and never did) the rest of the Palestinian intellectuals are not even Master strength.

Mike, I meant Zionist in a different context referring their claim to Israel and not our players.

Of course I have admitted many times that Jewish intellectuals are at the top of the pile and must be respected accordingly. Some of these same intellectuals consider the Zionist side of the Palestinian question completely immoral etc. and assist the Palestinians in many ways, even going out on a limb to do so. I think the current president's (Ohmert?) family is amongst them - opposing their hubby/father figure president.

As stated before, I consider these people amongst the best in the world. Just as the Aussie who was recently shot in the head with rubber bullets whilst defending Palestinians, and the Irish (I think) women last year.

When people such as the Palestinians are in such turmoil we can't realisticly expecting them to be churning out GMs, and I am guessing that there backgammon has a predominance over chess. A game I consider only glorified ludo by the way. But I think the Queen's Gambit may have been the Aleppo (or similar) opening before - from Syria.

We could also draw a parallel of the Australian Aborigines saying they are shocking at chess with no grandmasters - a people also in turmoil - you get the point, it is not very nice.

I don't think we will get into trouble for being off topic in this thread but just in case am I out of order in saying that NSW Jews could have it over Victorian Jews? They should hold a challenge series if they don't already. And I would love to be DOP for them.

Igor_Goldenberg
31-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I like A/C victim mentality. Somehow, I am not surprised.

antichrist
31-05-2006, 04:03 PM
I like A/C victim mentality. Somehow, I am not surprised.

Igor, I am not sure what you are getting at, we all know that I am slow. But I did hope that you would lead the Victorian team. How about it? You would have Fred in Sydney in opposition.

antichrist
01-06-2006, 07:28 AM
In the latest ratings NSW and Qld dominate over Victoria in the tops of each division.

Even Qld has more entrants than Victoria!

ACT is part of NSW so they are okay.

antichrist
25-06-2006, 07:35 PM
KB: Vidtorian Open thread - removed one post containing accusations of cheating. ..........
_______________________________________________-

Well Victoria has that one over NSW.

antichrist
27-12-2006, 10:00 AM
George winning Dandenong Chess Festival

antichrist
04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
04-02-2007 12:43 AM Mischa
(A/C...try conceding what NSW has over Vic in the Aus Junior

Now Mischhie,
It is just like Bill pointed out ages ago in this thread, that is that if Ian Rogers (NSW) had not been playing the world circuit well Mr Johansson would not have got a look in as far as Aussie Champions go. Well it is exactly the same.

If the Songs (NSW) were not overseas building up their revs, there is a very strong chance that a little youngster from Victoria would not have won his age division Aussie title.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it - otherwise I love youse all and God bless everyone.

Mischa
04-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Well there you are wrong again A/C...He never plays in the Junior

antichrist
04-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Well isn't someone from Victoria fortunate?

Mischa
04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
or Michael? or CHirs or Zhigen or Junta or.....who else ?

antichrist
06-03-2007, 01:26 AM
In yesterday's Peter Parr's column he lists the top 18 players there abouts. It so just happens that the top three players are from NSW and 9/18 are also from NSW.

Hobbes
16-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Bump

antichrist
17-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I did 3 searches for this thread last night and could not find. Thanks very much, I want to lop one on Igor and Mike B. This thread should be in the chess section.

To add to the fire it was a NSW man who became a grandmaster recently - about a year ago.

Metro
18-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I did 3 searches for this thread last night and could not find. Thanks very much, I want to lop one on Igor and Mike B. This thread should be in the chess section.

It's not about chess,it's about ego:lol:

antichrist
19-06-2009, 05:43 PM
http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2570&page=6

Howard's post 87 is worth a second look at - this thread surely deserves another breath of life

Bill Gletsos
19-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Now Mischhie,
It is just like Bill pointed out ages ago in this thread, that is that if Ian Rogers (NSW) had not been playing the world circuit well Mr Johansson would not have got a look in as far as Aussie Champions go.I pointed out no such thing earlier in this thread. In fact this post is my first in this thread.

Davidflude
20-06-2009, 12:03 AM
04-02-2007 12:43 AM Mischa
(A/C...try conceding what NSW has over Vic in the Aus Junior

Now Mischhie,
It is just like Bill pointed out ages ago in this thread, that is that if Ian Rogers (NSW) had not been playing the world circuit well Mr Johansson would not have got a look in as far as Aussie Champions go. Well it is exactly the same.

If the Songs (NSW) were not overseas building up their revs, there is a very strong chance that a little youngster from Victoria would not have won his age division Aussie title.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it - otherwise I love youse all and God bless everyone.

Of course Ian Rogers is a genuine Victorian not an ersatz New South Welshman.

antichrist
20-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I pointed out no such thing earlier in this thread. In fact this post is my first in this thread.

Well I had that quote from you in my head and I thought from this thread. Did you point it out somewhere - by memory you can tell me? Some one came out with that decent point. It does not really matter who - it stands on its own.

ER
20-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Of course Ian Rogers is a genuine Victorian not an ersatz New South Welshman.
Isn't he a Tasmanian?

Tony Dowden
20-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Isn't he a Tasmanian?

Yes, if being born there counts.

Ian is widely quoted as being born on the 24 June, 1960 in Hobart, Tasmania. But this is imprecise because, as he once told me, localised flooding at the time meant he was born just outside Hobart.

I must immodestly add that in November of the same year I successfully completed this complex positional and temporal manouevre - duly being born in 1960, well within the metropolitan environs of Hobart :cool:

ER
20-06-2009, 08:49 PM
(...) I successfully completed this complex positional and temporal manouevre -(...)
In my case I think it was an opening trap! :P

antichrist
10-07-2009, 07:47 PM
AC, representing NSW defeats up and coming Victorian champ. He fought him on the beaches, on the oceans, in the skies...

Desmond
10-07-2009, 11:56 PM
NSW has won more Rugby League state of origin games than Vic.

antichrist
11-07-2009, 10:36 AM
NSW has won more Rugby League state of origin games than Vic.

first of course your reply is off topic, and more relevant how many Vic journeymen have defeated NSW IMs?

Desmond
11-07-2009, 12:19 PM
first of course your reply is off topic, and more relevant how many Vic journeymen have defeated NSW IMs?It's in the non-chess forum. :hand:

antichrist
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
It's in the non-chess forum. :hand:

1. you did not answer my question?
2. I have requested unsuccessfully to have it transferred coz it is so vital to chess discussion
3. It is still off topic to title of thread.

I have been barred by KB for being off topic in my own off chess threads. No excuses mate. It is a hard world out there.

I repeat how many Victorian journeymen have done an a/c and defeated a NSW IM?

(you should not give me another chance to rub it in - but then again you are from Qld aren't you so may be enjoying it)

Desmond
11-07-2009, 12:32 PM
1. you did not answer my question?
2. I have requested unsuccessfully to have it transferred coz it is so vital to chess discussion
3. It is still off topic to title of thread.

I have been barred by KB for being off topic in my own off chess threads. No excuses mate. It is a hard world out there.

I repeat how many Victorian journeymen have done an a/c and defeated a NSW IM?

(you should not give me another chance to rub it in - but then again you are from Qld aren't you so may be enjoying it)Are you talking about your default win over TRD from a losing position? I can't think of any NSW IMs who play much correspondance chess on this site.

antichrist
11-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Are you talking about your default win over TRD from a losing position? I can't think of any NSW IMs who play much correspondance chess on this site.

What is this about default win?? It did not have to be that way. TRD was offered the chance to continue the game and lose over the board. It should not detract from my win.

Anyway KB stated that prior to the incident his game was inferior or only drawish for him.

I will also have you know that just prior to commencing this game, in a friendly I defeated a player rated significantly higher than young Morris so I was cocky going into this game and prepared to shake it up. That player also spat the dummy and walked out when I got a piece ahead.

The giantkiller they call me and remember I ain't scared of no one! Only my grammar teacher whom I never had.

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes, it only became a losing position after AC provisionally continued while the disputed move was investigated, and then AC made some mistakes, but it did not matter because the disputed move issue was resolved in his favour.

antichrist
11-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Yes, it only became a losing position after AC provisionally continued while the disputed move was investigated, and then AC made some mistakes, but it did not matter because the disputed move issue was resolved in his favour.

As outrageous as I may be I would not dare falsely claim touch move violation, not intentionally anyway.

antichrist
16-03-2011, 12:19 PM
According to dark side of moon, NSW players get a better rating than Victorian players, they even have graphs to prove it. Unfortunately my computer skills are not up to dragging them over.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/handitover1/cheatyboy.png[/IMG]

Kevin Bonham
17-03-2011, 07:38 PM
According to dark side of moon, NSW players get a better rating than Victorian players, they even have graphs to prove it. Unfortunately my computer skills are not up to dragging them over.

I wouldn't bother as the graphs prove nothing and the post is rubbish, as I already pointed out at http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=304293&postcount=68

Redmond Barry
17-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Its closer to kings cross...........

Garvinator
17-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Its closer to kings cross...........
I would put this as a reason for Victoria being better ;)

Oepty
17-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Why does it matter, why does anything matter, it is all pointless
Scott

antichrist
25-03-2011, 01:37 AM
We have other chess entrepreneurs but I can't remember any bad vibes about them (Parr, Jones, Gardiner) and they are big picture folk. Can I pick on the Victorians again?

antichrist
26-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Hmmm,

What happened to all the Vics? (in 2011 Doeberl)

Hobbes
28-08-2011, 08:41 PM
NSW lists all their past champions:- http://www.nswca.org.au/hall_of_fame/state_champs.html

Victoria ... um ... home page is here (http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/index.htm) but I can't find list of champions...

Max Illingworth
28-08-2011, 09:07 PM
NSW and Victoria are both good states. A large number of my relatives live in Victoria. :)

Garvinator
29-08-2011, 12:05 AM
NSW lists all their past champions:- http://www.nswca.org.au/hall_of_fame/state_champs.html

Victoria ... um ... home page is here (http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/index.htm) but I can't find list of champions...
Qld lists its past champions: http://www.caq.org.au/htm/info.htm (down the bottom of the page)

Basil
29-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Longitude

Kevin Bonham
29-08-2011, 01:00 AM
I have some reason to believe it (NSW) has a chess association that is better supplied with clocks.

antichrist
26-11-2011, 11:47 AM
NSW club dont fight over who will run competitions. And contra to what PaulS claims we don't try to hobble other club's nights or members.

Totally gentlemen in that regard NSW is as far as I know

Redmond Barry
26-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Why does it matter, why does anything matter, it is all pointless
Scott

whatever happened to scott c ?

antichrist
26-11-2011, 01:03 PM

he was involved in consumer affair consumption surveys for awhile, asking what brand of cheese, jam and toilet paper do we use?? He moved to toolbox and has not being seen since

Kevin Bonham
26-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Left - mainly saying he didn't feel comfortable debating with anonymous posters anymore. Still very much active in junior chess organisation.

Redmond Barry
26-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Left - mainly saying he didn't feel comfortable debating with anonymous posters anymore. Still very much active in junior chess organisation.

thats good. a few of his final comments didnt seem particularly upbeat so its good hes doing well.

antichrist
26-11-2011, 01:24 PM
thats good. a few of his final comments didnt seem particularly upbeat so its good hes doing well.

I wish I had the nerve to make his comments and still look myself in the eye

Redmond Barry
28-11-2011, 12:10 AM
I wish I had the nerve to make his comments and still look myself in the eye

your still a knob. :rolleyes:

Trent Parker
02-12-2011, 11:49 PM
The ability to pay for chess tournaments by credit card! lol

antichrist
15-12-2011, 03:35 PM
NSW is not fighting over kids chess, running businesses, false representations like Vic chess is

http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=324472#post324472

antichrist
20-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I did it the other way and noticed that out of top 7 who have fide 2400+, 5 players are from NSW, 1 player is from Victoria and 1 is from India. Then I thought "is not this competition being held in Victoria, the center of chess in Australia?".

Max Illingworth
21-12-2011, 04:44 AM
I'm not aware of Victoria being 'the centre of chess in Australia'. From memory NSW have 23 players over 2100 ACF and VIC have 19, which would suggest that neither is clearly the 'centre of chess'.

That said, it is true that most of the current >2400 players (ACF or FIDE) in Australia are in NSW.

antichrist
24-12-2011, 11:40 AM
As prestige/sponsorship in Australian chess tournaments seems to ride on the number of visiting titled players, especially GMs we have - cf Doeberl Cup, SIO - I don't see how restricting the Australian Championship (annual) to Australian players is going to do much for the cause. A pre-requisite may also be that the event is always held in Sydney, having regard to recent experience.

DJ

AC
what do you mean? that the other states just can't pull in the numbers?

Denis_Jessop
24-12-2011, 12:27 PM
As prestige/sponsorship in Australian chess tournaments seems to ride on the number of visiting titled players, especially GMs we have - cf Doeberl Cup, SIO - I don't see how restricting the Australian Championship (annual) to Australian players is going to do much for the cause. A pre-requisite may also be that the event is always held in Sydney, having regard to recent experience.

DJ

AC
what do you mean? that the other states just can't pull in the numbers?

There are several aspects to this which make it quite complex and the one you mentioned is but one of them.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what this thread is doing in a Non-chess section. Mods please note. [me neither. moved - mod]

DJ

antichrist
03-07-2013, 08:12 PM
NSW chess clubs are not rivals as to whom will hold which tourneys, dont back bite etc

ER
03-07-2013, 08:26 PM
NSW chess clubs are not rivals as to whom will hold which tourneys, dont back bite etc

Silly pointless trolling as per usual! Just a couple of disagreements or one or two spite whinging tendencies can hardly classify as back bite.

On the contrary one has to congratulate the two major clubs in Melbourne (MCC and BHCC / CJCC) in regards to the respect they pay to other clubs in the Metropolitan and country areas!

Having said that NSW clubs deserve every praise they can get due to their continuous support to chess development!

ER
05-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Objectively looking at things ...

One field in which NSW chess really runs rings around Victoria is their commendable ability to stage successful interclub competitions.

South of the border we very much depend on tireless individuals such as Carl Gorka, Kerry Steed and Peter Tsai just to name a select trio, to initiate revivals of an once proud tradition.

However, individuals cannot always be there on call!

I strongly believe that our hard working president Mr Leonid Sandler should look north of the border for inspiration and ideas of how the Winter Clubs' Competition, or Interclub or whatever you might call it could be re-established as one of the most important events of Victoria's Chess Calendar!

antichrist
15-11-2014, 04:27 PM
To: NSWCA Comms
nswcacomms@gmail.com
Hello all,

We have a very important event coming up. The AGM and, shame on the vast majority of metropolitan members, if last years attendance is repeated the council members will outnumber the audience.

We would be delighted to see more of you there. All council positions become vacant and any member is entitled to nominate for any position however we would be especially delighted to see some volunteers for the currently vacant positions of Club Liaison Officer and Webmaster. Our Secretary is currently also handling the Ratings Officer job and would happily hand that over. Our Vice President has been unwell for months. There is also the non-council position of Equipment Officer currently vacant, the main qualifications for that job being possession of storage space for equipment, a vehicle suitable for its transport and free time when its transport is needed.

John Pascoe

NSWCA Communications Officer

Please use this address comms@nswca.org.au for all communication
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Victoria in the same predicament?

MichaelBaron
17-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Victoria is faring a bit better i guess

Rincewind
17-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Victoria is faring a bit better i guess

Fundamentally different structure. In Chess Vic you have a federation of chess clubs and so every club organises delegates to ensure representation. NSWCA is an association of individuals and much more difficult to motivate individuals to do the administration necessary to keep a volunteer organisation running. You know from experience it is much easier to criticise an organisation from the sidelines than it is to actually commit any time to making things work better.

antichrist
17-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Fundamentally different structure. In Chess Vic you have a federation of chess clubs and so every club organises delegates to ensure representation. NSWCA is an association of individuals and much more difficult to motivate individuals to do the administration necessary to keep a volunteer organisation running. You know from experience it is much easier to criticise an organisation from the sidelines than it is to actually commit any time to making things work better.

Unfortunately the three posters to this thread are all outside metro Sydney - I was attracted to enlist whilst there but amongst other serious reasons I thought meetings should have been south of the Harbour Bridge to attract more volunteers.

But excellent point you have brought up, why not follow Victoria's Federation set up to ensure participation.

What put Brian Jones and myself off was when they abolished that women's promotional position (forget what called), esp considering that there were 2 bods willing to take on.

antichrist
23-05-2015, 11:10 AM
BILLANOOK CHESS CLASSIC 2015 - $4000+ Prize Money

Entry Fee only Twenty Bucks - that's how you do it

NSW comps cost as much as a posh restaurant

David Webster
23-05-2015, 02:23 PM
BILLANOOK CHESS CLASSIC 2015 - $4000+ Prize Money

Entry Fee only Twenty Bucks - that's how you do it

NSW comps cost as much as a posh restaurant

Rapid competitions in NSW (so the closest comparison) are $25. Also, the $4000 prizes seems to be across 4 tournaments. 4 tournaments x $25 = $100. Compare to the NSW Open which is less than $100 entry fee and $8750 prizes and the NSW tournament is better than double the value.

antichrist
27-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Rapid competitions in NSW (so the closest comparison) are $25. Also, the $4000 prizes seems to be across 4 tournaments. 4 tournaments x $25 = $100. Compare to the NSW Open which is less than $100 entry fee and $8750 prizes and the NSW tournament is better than double the value.

But where is the oz sausage sizzle so we will feel chunderous afterwards and play shocking chess?

Carl Gorka
24-11-2015, 05:48 PM
This particular summer (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/melbournes-big-summer-of-chess.html), Melbourne is certainly the place to be :)

ER
24-11-2015, 08:41 PM
This particular summer (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/melbournes-big-summer-of-chess.html), Melbourne is certainly the place to be :)

as per Face Book continuation of discussion. Visitors gone, tournament entered! :)

As for more to the point of the thread's topic.

An analysis or CV Treasurer’s comments to the CV's 2015 accounts could prove very useful!

David Webster
25-11-2015, 08:21 AM

You missed the Australian Schools Teams Championships, which will be at Melbourne High School in 1.5 weeks time.

Instead you talk about your company's 'National Interschool Finals' a tournament I'd never heard of, but it appears to be a tournament for Victorian schools with a few Tasmanians and Western Australians thrown in. Is this like the American definition of 'World'?

ER
25-11-2015, 08:59 AM
... Is this like the American definition of 'World'? ...

We are Mexicans here don't forget! :) :P :whistle::lol:

Carl Gorka
25-11-2015, 11:51 AM
You missed the Australian Schools Teams Championships, which will be at Melbourne High School in 1.5 weeks time.

Instead you talk about your company's 'National Interschool Finals' a tournament I'd never heard of, but it appears to be a tournament for Victorian schools with a few Tasmanians and Western Australians thrown in. Is this like the American definition of 'World'?

Thank for that, I never knew the Aus Schools ch was coming to Melbourne this year, I'll add it to the list. Where can info be found about it? AJCC website?

Good times for Melbourne :D

Carl Gorka
25-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Cool, found the site, for the Aus Schools Ch (http://australianjuniorchess.org.au/astc/2015-astc/), to be held in Melbourne as well!

I don't have an American definition of "World", I'm English by birth, so maybe my definition of World is different to yours, but who knows?

You're right, the Chess Kids tournament caters this year mainly for Victorian, Tasmanian and WA schools, where Chess Kids currently run interschool events. I'm not sure how this makes it less representative of Australia, as WA and Tasmania aren't represented at the Aus Schools ch. Maybe your definition of "World" is more American than mine?

Adamski
27-11-2015, 07:46 PM
NSW State Blitz champs tomorrow at Ryde-Eastwood LC. Victorians welcome! Followed by NSWCA AGM.

antichrist
01-07-2018, 07:46 AM
1 Smirnov,Anton 2529 GM NSW
2 Cheng,Bobby 2496 IM VIC

4 Solomon,Stephen J 2346 IM QLD

9 Illingworth,Max 2524 GM NSW
10 Zhao,Zong-Yuan 2533 GM NSW
11 Nakauchi,Gene 2216 FM QLD .
14 Lam,Ross 1922 CM QLD
15 Wohl,Aleksandar H 2335 IM QLD (lives in NSW)
Plus a NSW GM commentating

NSW is the GM powerhouse of the nation

HenryS-J
02-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Alex has lived in Queensland for a while now and resides in Brisbane, not in New South Wales

antichrist
02-07-2018, 04:28 PM
Alex has lived in Queensland for a while now and resides in Brisbane, not in New South Wales

He could be the closest Qld has to a GM. If you are claiming Alex do you de-claim Smerdon?

Afitz
02-07-2018, 05:00 PM
He could be the closest Qld has to a GM. If you are claiming Alex do you de-claim Smerdon?

Smerdon and Ly both live in Brisbane. Wohl lives on the Gold Coast.

Henry
02-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Irrespective of claiming or not claiming Smerdon to be a Queenslander, have you forgotten about Moulthun Ly?

antichrist
02-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Irrespective of claiming or not claiming Smerdon to be a Queenslander, have you forgotten about Moulthun Ly?

You are correct there and I have even said hello to the guy many moons ago. There is a relevant thread What does NSW Chess have over Qld Chess if you want to accept the challenge.

antichrist
13-07-2018, 10:45 AM
As Justin Tan may be added to the GM list shortly.

Bill Gletsos
13-07-2018, 12:40 PM
As Justin Tan may be added to the GM list shortly.You have the wrong Justin Tan.
The GM elect Justin is from Victoria.

Kai
13-07-2018, 03:04 PM
You have the wrong Justin Tan.
The GM elect Justin is from Victoria.

Yes, indeed.

More than a decade after Justin Tan (NSW) stopped, and Justin Tan (Vic) started, playing competitive classical chess (c.2007), it's amusing how people still make that mistake today. There was almost no overlap between their playing careers. Justin Tan (NSW) is of course one of the best bughouse players in the world, and that same mistake has also been made in reverse in the bughouse world.:)

antichrist
13-07-2018, 05:29 PM
Yes, indeed.

More than a decade after Justin Tan (NSW) stopped, and Justin Tan (Vic) started, playing competitive classical chess (c.2007), it's amusing how people still make that mistake today. There was almost no overlap between their playing careers. Justin Tan (NSW) is of course one of the best bughouse players in the world, and that same mistake has also been made in reverse in the bughouse world.:)

And you would be my old friend Kaitlin - does her path on this board and yours overlap? She was one of the best posters of irrelevance on this board and was loved for it - I was the great humbug of this board for years with many polls to boot me out. On "my" current other there is also a poll to boot me out - beat that.

MichaelBaron
13-07-2018, 11:46 PM
And you would be my old friend Kaitlin - does her path on this board and yours overlap? She was one of the best posters of irrelevance on this board and was loved for it - I was the great humbug of this board for years with many polls to boot me out. On "my" current other there is also a poll to boot me out - beat that.

AC, when it come to ''irrelevance'' I must say...this post of yours i hard to beat :)

antichrist
05-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Would you believe that at Box Hill Club the electrical broke down and games cancelled. I have even played in tents on the lawn outside Australian parliament house at nights during anti nuke protests and the candles never went out. Even if in earlier times that parliament was responsible for hanging an innocent man.

antichrist
25-10-2020, 07:31 AM
NSW online chess is not plagued by chess cheats

MichaelBaron
25-10-2020, 11:55 AM

Evidence? What sort of online Chess is being played in NSW?

antichrist
25-10-2020, 12:03 PM

As in Victoria .

MichaelBaron
25-10-2020, 02:11 PM

As in Victoria .

So what are the current online tournaments in NSW that have scope of Victorian ones? Note that some NSW players actually play in the Victorian online events

JackRodgers
25-10-2020, 09:59 PM
I can provide a small sample of evidence! I ran two online tournaments with $300 prize money back in April. No players were found to have cheated but I think that cheating online seems to go on regardless of location. I have heard a few tales of certain players not playing by the rules online...

ER
25-10-2020, 10:36 PM
I can provide a small sample of evidence! I ran two online tournaments with $300 prize money back in April. No players were found to have cheated but I think that cheating online seems to go on regardless of location. I have heard a few tales of certain players not playing by the rules online...

Hi Jack, Elliott here. Don't you think that it could be an interesting idea to organise a (say) 10 board online match, like State of Origin between NSW and Victoria?
I think that a joint venture supported by Tornelo, Degenchess and yourself could even attract sponsorship if promoted in a sound and methodical way!

JackRodgers
26-10-2020, 10:10 AM
I'd definitely be down to help organise the NSW contingent. I think to appeal to the stronger players we would need to have some kind of sponsorship to help make it happen.

antichrist
26-10-2020, 10:45 AM
If held during school holidays could be junior teams as well. And seniors team.

Vlad
27-10-2020, 08:49 PM
I'd definitely be down to help organise the NSW contingent. I think to appeal to the stronger players we would need to have some kind of sponsorship to help make it happen.

It is kind of funny but. Top NSW players are not in NSW anymore. Anton is in Canberra, while Max is in Vietnam. On the other hand, top Victorian players are in Sydney now. So are you thinking about a competition between states where NSW team is headed by Bobby?:lol:

MichaelBaron
28-10-2020, 12:55 AM

Sounds good....we can probably face each other in this match...on board 11 or so :).

ER
28-10-2020, 01:33 AM
well, it's gonna be an online match, so top players can represent their original States if they want to!
If they don't tough! Not a biggy.
We can start a thread and those who wanna play regardless of rating or titles and all that jazz can express interest to represent their State.
In the end depending on the number of interested players we can set the number of boards in a way that as many as possible can play.
If some left out they can be given substitute status and they can replace those who stuff up. All in good fun.
Mind you this is not only Victorians and NSW players that can apply, every State and Territory players can organise teams so we have a National competition.
IMPORTANT: (sledging banter style not only allowed but encouraged).

JackRodgers
28-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Fortunately, the State of Origin concept means where people 'originated' so if it works like the footy then it would be the State/Territory where a player first played a chess event (in Australia) I suppose. If NSW were to put up a fight we'd definitely need some of our exports. :)

JackRodgers
28-10-2020, 09:32 AM
Sounds good....we can probably face each other in this match...on board 11 or so :).

haha unfortunately for NSW I may be higher up the board order unless we can engage some of our masters who have moved away. Here's to hoping I get board 11 or lower!

JackRodgers
28-10-2020, 09:34 AM
well, it's gonna be an online match, so top players can represent their original States if they want to!
If they don't tough! Not a biggy.
We can start a thread and those who wanna play regardless of rating or titles and all that jazz can express interest to represent their State.
In the end depending on the number of interested players we can set the number of boards in a way that as many as possible can play.
If some left out they can be given substitute status and they can replace those who stuff up. All in good fun.
Mind you this is not only Victorians and NSW players that can apply, every State and Territory players can organise teams so we have a National competition.
IMPORTANT: (sledging banter style not only allowed but encouraged).

Sounds good to me, It would be good to figure out some of the tournament logistics and look at best times to hold it (so it doesn't clash with any other top events).

MichaelBaron
31-10-2020, 10:22 AM
haha unfortunately for NSW I may be higher up the board order unless we can engage some of our masters who have moved away. Here's to hoping I get board 11 or lower!

Well ...I do not think I can be that much higher in Victoria. Morris, Izzat, Johansen, Zelesco, Wallis, Dale, Goldenberg, Khamatgaleev are all rated above me. Also Cheng (if he is still considered Victorian) and Puccini who is rated slightly below me but given my inactivity probably deserves a higher board. Not a bad team :).

P.S and Justin Tan is also back to Melbourne right now.

Desmond
31-10-2020, 02:52 PM
Fortunately, the State of Origin concept means where people 'originated' so if it works like the footy then it would be the State/Territory where a player first played a chess event (in Australia) I suppose. More like, pretty much anything goes.

Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Origin_series#Selection_rules)

Patrick Byrom
31-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Well ...I do not think I can be that much higher in Victoria. Morris, Izzat, Johansen, Zelesco, Wallis, Dale, Goldenberg, Khamatgaleev are all rated above me. Also Cheng (if he is still considered Victorian) and Puccini who is rated slightly below me but given my inactivity probably deserves a higher board. Not a bad team :).
P.S and Justin Tan is also back to Melbourne right now.
Current ACF ratings:
2375!! 0 VIC Puccini, Jack [FM]
2374!! 0 QLD Solomon, Stephen J [IM]
2340! 0 VIC Khamatgaleev, Alexej [IM]
2331?? VIC Baron, Michael
Don't forget Solomon would count as a Victorian under State of Origin rules (probably).

Vlad
31-10-2020, 04:19 PM
More like, pretty much anything goes.

Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Origin_series#Selection_rules)

Then NSW team is Alex Sarana, Hrant, Anton, Temur, Max and Mouthun. 6 boards should be enough.:lol:

MichaelBaron
31-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Then NSW team is Alex Sarana, Hrant, Anton, Temur, Max and Mouthun. 6 boards should be enough.:lol:

Temur is in WA. Sarana?

MichaelBaron
31-10-2020, 08:50 PM
Temur is in WA. Sarana?

Melkumyan may be ''stuck'' in Aus for for now but is hardly a NSW player. Sarana just played for Aus online

Vlad
31-10-2020, 09:38 PM

I forgot to say that the captain is Leonid.:eek:

MichaelBaron
31-10-2020, 09:55 PM
I forgot to say that the captain is Leonid.:eek:

That,s fine...just do not field in players who are not NSW ...and you can have Leonid as captain...:)

Kevin Bonham
04-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Posts moved

antichrist/Baron posts moved here http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18222-antichrist-vs-Michael-Baron-(sf-NSW-Vic-chess)

antichrist
01-04-2021, 03:59 AM
Congratulations to Victorian David Cordover for having his Tornelo program internationally accepted. NSW hasn't shown a clue in that regard.