PDA

View Full Version : Beer Better Than Jesus

antichrist
12-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Top Ten Reasons Why Beer Is Better Than Jesus
No one will kill you for not drinking beer.
Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.
Beer has never caused a major war.
They don't force beer on minors who can't think for themselves.
When you have beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.
Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured to death over his brand of beer.
You don't have to wait 2,000+ years for a second beer.
There are laws saying that beer labels can't lie to you.
You can prove you have a beer.
If you have devoted your life to beer, there are groups to help you stop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
List created by Stephen P. Berry.
(c) Copyright 1995 by The Agnostic & Atheist Student Group

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
aasg@atheist.tamu.edu

Rincewind
12-01-2004, 04:08 PM
No one will kill you for not drinking beer.

You haven't been to a BBQ at my place

Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.

No, but drink too much and it can pretty much ensure celebacy.

No, but some major bruhahas!

They don't force beer on minors who can't think for themselves.

See point 10 above.

No, but if you run out you might go door knocking to look for more beer.

Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured to death over his brand of beer.

Refering to point 10 (above) I have burnt a few people's steaks because they drank the wrong brand of beer. (Damn you 4X drinkers)

You don't have to wait 2,000+ years for a second beer.

You do, if you're waiting for certain people to shout!

There are laws saying that beer labels can't lie to you.

Yes, but no one drinks beer because of what's written on the label.

You can prove you have a beer.

No, but as all kowledge is perceived through the senses there is no a priori knowledge, per se. With what beer does to sensory perception this is probably a good thing.

If you have devoted your life to beer, there are groups to help you stop.

AAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

(Jumps out of window).

chesslover
13-01-2004, 07:05 PM

This has got to be one of the most stupidest, vile and provacative thread ever introduced. Why do you post such anti christian garbage? :x :evil:

Fine, if you dont like Jesus, but then why go out and actively attack all those who are christians? :x :evil:

antichrist
13-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.[/quote]

No, but drink too much and it can pretty much ensure celebacy.

Remember in Don's Party it stopped Graham Kennedy at the crucial moment.

No, but some major bruhahas!

A thousand years ago the Russian rulers were supposed to lead their kingdoms to Christianity because of their mobs love of a beer, in comparison to the Muslims the teetotallers.

But you might chunder it away
_______________________________________-

antichrist
13-01-2004, 08:54 PM

This has got to be one of the most stupidest, vile and provacative thread ever introduced. Why do you post such anti christian garbage? :x :evil:

Fine, if you dont like Jesus, but then why go out and actively attack all those who are christians? :x :evil:

Keating was wrong, souffle does rise twice

Rincewind
14-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Remember in Don's Party it stopped Graham Kennedy at the crucial moment.

Yes, this was noted much earlier though. Shakespeare in Macbeth (II, iii), for example...

Macduff: What three things does drink especially provoke?
Porter: Marry, sir, nose-painting, sleep and urine. Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance.

A thousand years ago the Russian rulers were supposed to lead their kingdoms to Christianity because of their mobs love of a beer, in comparison to the Muslims the teetotallers.

Tradition says that is so. Prince Vladimir in 985 is reputed to be taken with the Islamic religion but not keen on the ban on drinking and so leant towards Christianity. The Wedding at Caana might have been his favorite story. I know it is one of mine. I mean he took water and turned it into wine. That is so cool. Jesus is way cool.

Rincewind
14-01-2004, 12:09 AM

Love the Life you Live
Live the Life you Love

If not now, WHEN?

chesslover
14-01-2004, 06:02 PM

Love the Life you Live
Live the Life you Love

If not now, WHEN?

stop being a smart alec, and do not encourage anti-christ :x

Goughfather
14-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Chesslover,

Your post raises an interesting question about free speech. We all acknowledge that free speech is a value which should be encouraged, but where should we draw the line. I think you would agree that legitimately expressed criticism is vital in a democracy, and this criticism may take the form of cutting satire. The real question to be asked is where the mere criticism of one's beliefs/position becomes abuse. The dividing line can often be obscured with shades of grey. However, wherever this line is, I believe that this is a line that must not be crossed.

Ironically, as I'm sure you would have experienced, if we, as Christians were to make comments of a similar manner to those of "anti-Christ" regarding those who hold an atheistic faith, or any other religious tradition, we would be quite rightly regarded as being intolerant. Sadly, however, such double standards seem to abound. There is little that we can do about this, but to accept such comments graciously with a grain of salt. I've been reading the sermons of Martin Luther King lately, and he makes the poignant point that we ought to love our enemies because "violence begets violence, and hate begets hate". He continues on to say that "love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power that eventually transforms individuals."

You may not agree with or like what "anti-Christ" says. But remember that the real test of character will not in your response towards those who speak favourably of and towards you, but in your response towards those who attitude is often snide, condescending and arrogant towards you. Accept it as a challenge, and I can assure you - you will reap the rewards of your graceful attitude.

Kind Regards,

Goughfather (the artist formerly known as "Machiavelli")

skip to my lou
14-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Some good points. Nice post Goughfather.

Rincewind
14-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Ironically, as I'm sure you would have experienced, if we, as Christians were to make comments of a similar manner to those of "anti-Christ" regarding those who hold an atheistic faith, or any other religious tradition, we would be quite rightly regarded as being intolerant. Sadly, however, such double standards seem to abound. There is little that we can do about this, but to accept such comments graciously with a grain of salt. I've been reading the sermons of Martin Luther King lately, and he makes the poignant point that we ought to love our enemies because "violence begets violence, and hate begets hate". He continues on to say that "love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power that eventually transforms individuals."

I don't have a problem laughing at atheism. I suppose denial of a "grand scheme" lends one a certain flippancy. So do your worse, I can pretty much assure you I won't be offended. But please make it funny. ;)

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2004, 12:53 AM
The real question to be asked is where the mere criticism of one's beliefs/position becomes abuse. The dividing line can often be obscured with shades of grey. However, wherever this line is, I believe that this is a line that must not be crossed.

Are you sure that there is nothing in the Bible that could possibly be considered "abuse" towards people who do not share the views in question?

I'd be interested to see your reasons for why the line should be there (the reasons in turn can be used to attempt to draw the line.) I find this issue tricky and I tend to be sceptical of arguments offered for drawing it at all, at least any further out than very obvious matters like "incitement to riot".

Ironically, as I'm sure you would have experienced, if we, as Christians were to make comments of a similar manner to those of "anti-Christ" regarding those who hold an atheistic faith, or any other religious tradition, we would be quite rightly regarded as being intolerant.

Depends on how "intolerant" is used. I'm a big fan of the more traditional definition stemming from "to tolerate" meaning "to allow to exist without forceful interference", meaning that you could dislike someone or their beliefs, and say pretty much whatever you liked about them, so long as you didn't actually use the force of law (or other violence) against them.

The growing use of "tolerate" meaning something like "respect" is a real shame in my view - has clouded the meaning of what was one of the most useful words in our political vocab and led to the use of "intolerant" as a shabby all-purpose political insult.

I frequently find Christians accusing atheists of being hypocritically "intolerant" for harshly worded criticisms of their religion. This is amusing because many of the atheists criticised are only "intolerant" in the second sense (disrespectful) whereas many portions of Christianity have historically been intolerant in both senses, and some of the fundamentalist strands could be expected to be very intolerant in the first sense if they reached a position where they were able to do so. Perhaps not towards other beliefs per se - but through moral law towards actions forbidden in fundamentalist interpretations.

PHAT
28-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Top Ten Reasons Why Sex Is Better Than Jesus
No one will kill you to have sex with you.
Sex dosen't stop you from going to heaven - you are already there.
People would rather have sex than make holy war.
Schools (non-religious) don't force children to have sex.
When you have sex, you don't knock on people's doors to tell everyone why you smell like you do.
Councils will not allow brothels to be set up close to schools or public places.
You don't have to wait 2000+ years for a second coming - you can bring it on whenever you want.
There are laws that say you cannot have sex in public.
Syphyilis, gonhorrea and crabs is proof of sex.
If you have devoted your life to sex, you will have more friends and relatives.

Original "beer better than JC" list created by Stephen P. Berry
The Agnostic & Atheist Student Group

antichrist
28-01-2004, 12:09 PM
When you have sex, you don't knock on people's doors to tell everyone why you smell like you do.
Councils will not allow brothels to be set up close to schools or public places.
You don't have to wait 2000+ years for a second coming - you can bring it on whenever you want.

Matthew
Tighten it up a little and send to original group, they may post it and you become famous.

arosar
25-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Did any of you blokes watch that show on SBS re the Bible? Interesting, wasn't it? Makes you wonder what it is we've been believing all this time.

AR

Rincewind
25-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Did any of you blokes watch that show on SBS re the Bible? Interesting, wasn't it? Makes you wonder what it is we've been believing all this time.

Saw a bit of it, not all due to family commitments. I believe it is on again this week so it might be a job for the VCR.

arosar
02-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Ain't this funny? Atheists parying! Who do you guys pray to?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/wtwtgod/3518375.stm

AR

Rincewind
02-03-2004, 10:13 AM

:lol: Good question.

I found the following quote interesting...

[Islamic] Spokesperson Inayat Bunglawala said: "Religion, or Christianity especially, is certainly seen as more and more fair game, as a target to be lampooned, satirised.

"In Islam there is a difference, a clear sense of the sacred. You just cannot trivialise issues to do with God and death.

"These are serious issues in all our lives and ridiculing those concepts has perhaps made religion seem almost an optional extra, if you like."

It doesn't look like Inayat has read Satanic Verses. ;)

Kevin Bonham
02-03-2004, 12:21 PM

Some people who are technically atheists attend church services and play along for the social or therapeutic aspect. Some people don't believe in God but will sometimes pray along the lines of "God, I don't believe you're out there, but if you are ..." Wimps. Some people don't believe in either God or Satan but pray to Satan so they can offend Christians by telling them they're a satanist.

My partner used to have a car sticker that read "JESUS Protect us from your followers." I'm not sure if that quite qualifies. :eek:

PHAT
02-03-2004, 03:50 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/wtwtgod/3518375.stm

AR

"Those saying they never prayed included 29% of Israelis and 25% of Britons. But across the entire sample, almost 30% of all atheists surveyed said they sometimes prayed."

Simple, they are not atheists at all, they are gutless fence sitting agnostics.

I don't pray, but I do wish. It has the same effect on the physical world (nothing), and on the mind (disappontment and joy in roughly equil proportions).

antichrist
30-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Now there is a good question, who will outlast whom - beer or Jesus?

EGOR
30-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Now there is a good question, who will outlast whom - beer or Jesus?
They're both eternal.:whistle:

antichrist
07-12-2006, 10:52 PM

Where is Matt to liven the board up when we need him? In a cold damp dungeon with David Hicks - where is our aussie spirit of a fair go?

Basil
08-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Where is Matt to liven the board up when we need him? In a cold damp dungeon with David Hicks - where is our aussie spirit of a fair go?
Matt's exile is self-imposed. You know it. I know it.

Kevin Bonham
08-12-2006, 02:20 PM

At least Matt hasn't had to wait five years without his case being assessed!

antichrist
08-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Matt's exile is self-imposed. You know it. I know it.

Now listen Howard I thought you would be awarding HCDs by the truckload for Matt's effort above especially no. 7 the implication being.... that church schools...

Basil
08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Now listen Howard I thought you would be awarding HCDs by the truckload for Matt's effort above especially no. 7 the implication being.... that church schools...

My abstinence in responding was my greatest virtue.
My preferred top 5 answers would have all resulted in varying degres of punishment.
The top 2 in permanent Chess Chat bans, and
the #1 in expulsion from the CAQ.

antichrist
11-12-2006, 02:01 PM
My abstinence in responding was my greatest virtue.
My preferred top 5 answers would have all resulted in varying degres of punishment.
The top 2 in permanent Chess Chat bans, and
the #1 in expulsion from the CAQ.

....lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil, amen