PDA

View Full Version : Australian FIDE delegates

pballard
08-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi all,

In view of the serious question marks (to put it mildly) over the competence of FIDE president Kirsan Illyumzhinov, I'd like to ask:

How are Australian FIDE delegates chosen?

What is their record in voting for FIDE president?

If the answers are well known to everyone except me, feel free to point me to the appropriate web site.

jase
08-06-2005, 05:40 PM
The Australian delegate to the FIDE Congress over the last decade or more has been Phil Viner. Phil has been chosen because he is experienced as a player and journalist, is familiar with the workings of FIDE, and has previously represented Australia as a player.

Phil has a reputation for often abstaining on matters taken to a vote, on the grounds that he has no instruction from his Federation on the matter at hand.

I cannot attest to the soundness of this reputation, though it comes from several reputable sources.

Phil is a very amiable individual who would probably be prepared to address any questions you have on this topic directly. He writes for the Australian, and his email can be accessed through that publication, and probably through the ACF website as well.

firegoat7
08-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Hello,

Withou casting dispersions on Phils character, would it be right to suggest that he is not democratically elected either?

Cheers Fg7

Lucena
08-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Hello,

Withou casting dispersions on Phils character, would it be right to suggest that he is not democratically elected either?

Cheers Fg7

interesting question, maybe kb or bill can answer. Speaking of democracy, you haven't voted in my poll yet fg!

arosar
08-06-2005, 07:19 PM
It seems that at every click I take in this BB I see 'democracy'. What is with this obsession with it? No doubt it is properly understood theoretically. But I wonder if it is properly appreciated.

AR

Lucena
08-06-2005, 08:02 PM
It seems that at every click I take in this BB I see 'democracy'. What is with this obsession with it? No doubt it is properly understood theoretically. But I wonder if it is properly appreciated.

AR
Interesting point, I suppose in this country at the moment there is a fair bit of disillusionment with politics, we may not appreciate how lucky we are to have a democratic system of goverment unlike some countries.

By the way, have you voted on my poll Arosar? it's in the non-chess forum

Libby
08-06-2005, 08:37 PM
It seems that at every click I take in this BB I see 'democracy'. What is with this obsession with it?

AR

Ask George W - he's the democracy expert :doh:

shaun
08-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Hello,

Cheers Fg7

Democratically elected by who?