PDA

View Full Version : Commonman 2005

PHAT
08-06-2005, 12:32 AM
C.O.M.M.O.N.M.A.N
and
NSW Open Transfer Chess Championship

100% of all entry fees paid back in prizes!

Commonman Weekender entry $40 ($20 for Health Card holders). Prizes: 1st and 2nd will be the same in 3 to 5 equally sized rating divisions, and pro rata 2 equally sized junior rating divisions. Juniors eligible for junior prizes only. Estimate 1st places $120, 2nd places $80.

NSW Open Transfer entry $20 per team. Outright 1st wins Trophy + all non-Junior entry fees collected. Best performed Junior team (1st) wins all junior entry fees collected + Trophy. (This Championship is not currently a NSWCA recognised title - we live in hope - so please bring a clock if you have one.)

Commonman Weekender: 25/26 June 2005. Entries from 10 am. Half point bye available by arrangement. Games 60 min followed by 10 sec/move.

Saturday R1 10:30, Lunch 12:30, R2 1:00, R3 3:15 (Transfer Open starts Saturday 7 pm) Sunday R4 10:00, Lunch 12:00, R5 1:00, R6 3:15, and an early finish ~5:30 and Free Beer! (or other drink)

NSW Open Transfer: Saturday evening 25th June 2005. ***Entries can only be made in person between 10:00 and 10:30 am.*** 7 round Swiss, start 7 pm, finish 9 pm.

Venue: Wollongong Collegians Club, Princes Highway Wollongong 30 minute drive from Sutherland, or 2.5 hours from Canberra.

Accommodation less than $100 for 2 persons: Keiraview Accommodation 4229 9700, Downtown Motel 42298344, Sky Accommodation 4228 9320.

Info: Matthew Sweeney, 42299107, 0402407873, mhjs@bigpond.net.au, http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mazzieri/chess/wgong.htm

PHAT
20-06-2005, 07:02 AM
This weekend!

antichrist
20-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Matt, about two years ago when a put a blurb up for the SEC, in the same thread you posted a below-the-belt piece telling people to go to the Doeberl instead - not very nice you know. I wonder if I should try and sabotage your Commonman tourney?

Your sins will find you out.

PHAT
20-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Matt, about two years ago when a put a blurb up for the SEC, in the same thread you posted a below-the-belt piece telling people to go to the Doeberl instead - not very nice you know. I wonder if I should try and sabotage your Commonman tourney?

Your sins will find you out.

If I remember correctly - and you are welcome to research it and correct me if I am wrong - I started by being very antiSEC and finished up some time later, changing to a pro stance. I think it was along the lines of, "If you CANNOT play Doeberl, the SEC is a good option. If you CAN play Doeberl, that is where you ought to be." The entry stats confirmed that the SEC was not a threat to Deoberl and that is why I gave it the OK.

Please Peter, I am not your enemy, so can we not start a some silly flame war.
:D

Igor_Bjelobrk
22-06-2005, 11:32 AM
This transfer tournament was well advertised and it could be good only I think its a bit too short.
7 rounds for a chess tournament is ok but its not enough for a transfer tournament because transfer games last only 5 minutes and not 3 hours. There should be 7 rounds and 4 games in each round against the same opponent, for a total of 28 games.

PHAT
23-06-2005, 12:06 AM
This transfer tournament was well advertised and it could be good only I think its a bit too short.
7 rounds for a chess tournament is ok but its not enough for a transfer tournament because transfer games last only 5 minutes and not 3 hours. There should be 7 rounds and 4 games in each round against the same opponent, for a total of 28 games.

Thanks for the advice, Igor. I thought seven rounds would be enough. However, you suggest that teams can play against each other more than once, I s'pose we can at least go to 12 or more games.

Since most people who will be playing the transfer obviously LIKE transfer, I am sure that a proposed increase in the number of games would be acceptable to them.

Yours in Chess
Matt

Trent Parker
23-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I will be playing the Common Man.....

I won't be playing the transfer.....

I used to be alright at transfer when i was in high school but back then it wasn't plonk mate and you actually had to work to get checkmate.

I would prefer a seventh round for the Common Man tournament......

Oh well.....

antichrist
23-06-2005, 10:25 AM
I will be playing the Common Man.....

I won't be playing the transfer.....

I used to be alright at transfer when i was in high school but back then it wasn't plonk mate and you actually had to work to get checkmate.

I would prefer a seventh round for the Common Man tournament......

Oh well.....

Basically I am against this tourney because it does not attract excellence. When I run a tourney it is the only time when I can boss the big boys around. BTW, who was arbiter for SEC?

pax
23-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Basically I am against this tourney because it does not attract excellence. When I run a tourney it is the only time when I can boss the big boys around. BTW, who was arbiter for SEC?

Eh? The SEC doesn't attract excellence either (for different reasons). Why not spread the joy every now and then..

pax
23-06-2005, 10:38 AM

28 games = 5 hours or more. Could be tricky to fit into the scheduled 2 hour timeslot. If you stretch it to 10:30pm, you could probably manage 7x2 game rounds, but 4 games would be too much.

antichrist
23-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Eh? The SEC doesn't attract excellence either (for different reasons). Why not spread the joy every now and then..

Well Matt cannot boss the big boys around because they are disencouraged.

PHAT
23-06-2005, 11:43 AM
[To A/C]Why not spread the joy every now and then..

:clap:

Too right.

Many of us play for the fun of the play and an occational top personal performance. We are the Common Man.

Go here and feel some pride. http://www.ttimbers.com/sound/fanfare.au

PHAT
23-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Well Matt cannot boss the big boys around because they are disencouraged. [bold by MS]

I think the word you were looking for there, Peter, was "discouraged." Unfortuntately, that word is not correct either. How about we try the word "ignored."

The big boys - as you toadyingly describe them - can choose to play in the Commonman, there by paying due respect to, and encouraging the vast bulk of players who pay for the big Open paypackets all year. :P

antichrist
23-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I think the word you were looking for there, Peter, was "discouraged." Unfortuntately, that word is not correct either. How about we try the word "ignored."

The big boys - as you toadyingly describe them - can choose to play in the Commonman, there by paying due respect to, and encouraging the vast bulk of players who pay for the big Open paypackets all year. :P

next you will be saying that pro-active is wrong as well

pax
23-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Well Matt cannot boss the big boys around because they are disencouraged.

Disencouraged - that's a good one: worthy of George W himself ;)

PHAT
23-06-2005, 08:17 PM
next you will be saying that pro-active is wrong as well

Weeeeeelllllll, the word "pro-active" could be replaced most times with the simple word "start." :owned:

Trent Parker
24-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Just to prove that i suck at transfer....

My fics rating is 556.

Alan Shore
24-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Just to prove that i suck at transfer....

My fics rating is 556.

And Igor's is about 2556! :owned:

Mine's about 1700 but I've hardly played in months, so that could probably be eeked if you two partnered up.

Trent Parker
26-06-2005, 08:14 AM
top two seeds are winning the tournament and play each other this morning (Johnny Bolens and David Castor)

Same turnout as last year - 16

antichrist
26-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Must be disappointing for you to travel so far but a bit thin on the ground.

Trent Parker
26-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Actually woolongong is one of the closest tournaments for me.... as long as i have a friend to take me there. Lance played so i got a lift with him.

1st was Johnny Bolens
second was David Castor

Equal first in the lower half was Anthony Keuning and Myself!

Biggest upset went to Lance chiddy (1030~) who defeated Anthony Keuning in the first round!

I'm happy i got 3.... considering i was 14th Seed....

Trent Parker
27-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Hey Matt.

A suggestion for next year.....

The scoresheets.....

They were bad (to put it mildly).

Putting 90 on one side of a score sheet is not a good idea. My advice to you is to change it to maybe 60 moves on one side.

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Equal first in the lower half was Anthony Keuning and Myself!Does this mean there was only 2 divisions each of 8 players.

This would seemingly contradict the tournament advert (post #1) that said there would be 3 to 5 equally sized divisions.

Also how many played in the transfer event and who won it.

antichrist
27-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Does this mean there was only 2 divisions each of 8 players.

This would seemingly contradict the tournament advert (post #1) that said there would be 3 to 5 equally sized divisions.

Now Bill don't be facetious, the transfer was a exclusive titled tourney by invitation only.

Trent Parker
27-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Does this mean there was only 2 divisions each of 8 players.

Well.... technically there were three: upper half, lower half adults and juniors.

There were 4 teams in the transfer.

Won by Jamie Boyce and Ben Harris
Second was Sherab and emma guo
equal last was Matt sweeney and David castor
LC and myself.

I had a quick win over sweeney...

1.h4 Nf6 2.Rh3 Ng4 3.f3

TCN to LC..." sac anything for a pawn please!! :lol:

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Well.... technically there were three: upper half, lower half adults and juniors.That really doesnt count as the junior was advertised as being 2 divisions and as seperate from the 3 to 5 divisions.

Trent Parker
27-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Now Bill don't be facetious, the transfer was a exclusive titled tourney by invitation only.

... and thats why its the unofficial NSW Open transfer...

:rolleyes:

Gringo
27-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Congrats to Lance for the win against A.K.
we need nice chess players to balance the " Gletzos Effect ".

PHAT
27-06-2005, 08:13 PM
A small but friendly bunch of chess lovers showed for the Commonman. 16 the same as last year.

Round 1 saw Lance Chiddy (1012) belt the busiest player in NSW Anthony Keuning (1609) - no blunders involved! Lance's hands were still shaking half an hour after checkmate, "Yeah, that was the biggest win I've ever had." That performance won him the Biggest Upset Win Prize of $20. :clap:

Another major upset was a 5th round draw between the young and the old. The eventual winner and perenial gentleman of the tough streets of Sydney, Johnny Bolens (2014), had to offer a draw to the brother of the Australian Girls Champion Rebecca Harris, Ben Harris (1610). :clap:

The top two players met in round 4. Bolens (2014) Vs David Castor (2002). Bolens turned up late due to the train system, conceding 15 minutes on the clock. Nevertheless, as black in the sicilian, he applied enough pressure down the queen side to win. Bolens' win was enought to see him walk away with the top half divisional prize 1st $120 (5.5/6) and Castor 2nd (5/6) $80. :clap: (Possibly staying Saturday night at Sweeney's house and drinking a couple too many beers cost him $40.)

In the last round several places were still to be determined. Rapidly improving "Dilly Boy" Trent Parker (aka TCN) (1489) had an all or nothing game against Wollongong player Rade Mijakovski (1580). The game was unbalanced with three connected past pawns and two pieces, against rook and two pieces. Both in the blitz time zone, Mijakovski blew the draw putting his king on the wrong square to allow a knight fork by Parker. Theat win gave him equil second in the bottom half division with Keuning. Keuning had recovered from 0/2 , winning his next four games for 4/6 and both were happy to receive $100 each.

Also in the last round, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places could have gone to any of three - Ben Harris (1610), Jamie Boyce (1560) and Sherab Guo-Yuthok (1692). One of the game s was Boyce-Guo. Harris was beaten by Bolens and stayed on 3.5. At that point a draw between Boyce and Guo would have meant a three way first. In an even position, both were under time pressure, but Boyce was first to play a loose move and Guo won. Making the order Guo, Harris, Boyce. All four juniors won cash – 1st to 4th : $60, $40,$20, $20.

Following the prizes, players were shouted drinks downstairs and enjoyed entertaining stories from The Life and Times of Johnny “Walker” Bolens, as told by the autobiographer. In a gesture of deference, David Castor drove him back to Sydney …

… and they all lived happily ever after.

Of the 16 entries, 7 went home with a prize. This is for the Common Man http://www.ttimbers.com/sound/fanfare.au

Goughfather
28-06-2005, 12:06 AM
An excellent report, with one minor inaccuracy - Benjamin Harris actually played Bolens in the 5th round and held him to a draw. He actually played me in the final round and proved to be quite an obstacle.

It's clear that Benjamin has improved significantly in recent times. It's unfortunate that having a tough draw (playing 4 of the top 5 players) prevented him from taking out the top junior prize. All credit must go to him for the self-discipline and composure that he shows at the board. I'm sure that in time, he will only continue to improve.

Trent Parker
18-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Any chance of getting a crosstable up here soon sweeney?

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2005, 04:11 PM
No Name Rtg Total 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 Bolens, 2014 5.5 14:W 11:W 5:W 2:W 4:D 10:W
2 Castor, 2002 5 13:W 9:W 7:W 1:L 3:W 4:W
3 Guo, S 1692 4 4:L 12:W 14:W 5:W 2:L 6:W
4 Harris, 1610 3.5 3:W 7:L 6:W 11:W 1:D 2:L
5 Brodesser, 1772 3.5 6:W 15:W 1:L 3:L 7:W 8:D
6 Boyce, 1560 3 5:L 10:W 4:L 14:W 8:W 3:L
7 Kanostrevac, 1828 3 12:W 4:W 2:L 8:D 5:L 11:D
8 Ascic, 1683 3 9:L 13:W 15:W 7:D 6:L 5:D
9 Parker, 1489 3 8:W 2:L 11:L 10:L 12:W 14:W
10 Keuning, A 1609 3 15:L 6:L 16:W 9:W 11:W 1:L
11 Nicholson, 1624 2.5 16:W 1:L 9:W 4:L 10:L 7:D
12 Stojkovski, 1561 2.5 7:L 3:L 13:D 15:W 9:L 16:W
13 Plant, 1572 2.5 2:L 8:L 12:D 16:W 14:L 15:W
14 Mijakovski, 1580 2 1:L 16:W 3:L 6:L 13:W 9:L
15 Chiddy, 1012 1 10:W 5:L 8:L 12:L 16:L 13:L
16 Guo, E 1129 1 11:L 14:L 10:L 13:L 15:W 12:L

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2005, 04:15 PM
After Matt's comments in another thread regarding State Rating Officers having to check players names etc, he certainly did nothing to assist them by leaving out the the first names or even the initials of virtually all players. Nor did he include players id numbers.
I guess importing players from the SP master files was just too difficult.

Rincewind
14-08-2005, 04:37 PM
After Matt's comments in another thread regarding State Rating Officers having to check players names etc, he certainly did nothing to assist them by leaving out the the first names or even the initials of virtually all players. Nor did he include players id numbers.
I guess importing players from the SP master files was just too difficult.

I can help out with local players. Most, like Ascic, Kanostrevac and Mijakovski are unique on last name. However there are two local Stojkovskis. The one who played was Vlade. Although I was not present at the event I spoke with Vlade after the event. Also pretty sure it was Scott Nicholson and Rod Plant, both active local players too.

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2005, 04:42 PM
I can help out with local players. Most, like Ascic, Kanostrevac and Mijakovski are unique on last name. However there are two local Stojkovskis. The one who played was Vlade. Although I was not present at the event I spoke with Vlade after the event. Also pretty sure it was Scott Nischolson and Rod Plant, both active local players too.We worked it out.
The point was that Matt noted that incorrect identification of players can be a problem yet did nothing to assist the Rating Officers in the event he organised and ran.

PHAT
14-08-2005, 05:23 PM
We worked it out.
The point was that Matt noted that incorrect identification of players can be a problem yet did nothing to assist the Rating Officers in the event he organised and ran.

I did not send the SP file to the NSWCA.

If anyone had said to me to complete the names/IDs before it was sent, it would not have been sent to the NSWCA before it was completed.

Next time you want to start heaping crap on me, first get all the facts.

bergil
17-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Next time you want to start heaping crap on me, first get all the facts.
Priceless! :clap: Of all the people on this board, you should be the last to say that. :doh:

PHAT
17-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Priceless! :clap: Of all the people on this board, you should be the last to say that. :doh:

Priceless! :clap: Of all the pedantic people on this board, Bill should be the last to not check his facts.

tcn (on locatio
17-08-2005, 01:37 PM
You should check your facts before sprouting garbage over the bulletin board Matt......

PHAT
17-08-2005, 01:47 PM
You should check your facts before sprouting garbage over the bulletin board Matt......

Complying with that that is a problem because, it is the bulletin board itself where we can best test and check the facts as being either "garbage" or "dirty washing." In most cases there is a large dose of subjectivity involved, so, garbage is in the eye of the beholder.