PDA

View Full Version : Is nodding off during game permited?

antichrist
06-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Bill,
That story about me nodding off during a game and coming back wide awake and playing brilliantly was true, is it against the laws or can they complain about someone nodding off?

WhiteElephant
06-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Bill,
That story about me nodding off during a game and coming back wide awake and playing brilliantly was true, is it against the laws or can they complain about someone nodding off?

During an Aus Juniors many years ago, I remember kegless turned up half an hour late for a game, sat down and immediately nodded off for about 20 minutes. He then woke up and won the game brilliantly.

Bill Gletsos
06-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Bill,
That story about me nodding off during a game and coming back wide awake and playing brilliantly was true, is it against the laws or can they complain about someone nodding off?No law against it unless you were snoring loudly and hence disturbing other players.

In fact there is the story of Bobby Fischer V Arthur Bisguier from the 1963 US Championships.

Bisguier and Fischer are leading the tournament and are playing each other in the last round. Fischer doesnt make a move for awhile and when Bisguier looks up he sees Fischer is fast asleep.
Another 30 minutes and Bisguier will the US Champion.
Unfortunately at this stage Bisguier made a very bad move. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
As he later said " I woke up Bobby Fischer" ;)

Fischer after a yawn and a stretch went on to beat poor Bisguier and beome US champ for the 5th time.

eclectic
06-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Bill,

a/c

if it's your time then as i see it you're well and truly entitled to have a powernap of xxxx minutes at the board if this helps your brain to incubate the present state of play and hatch a winning plan

the downside though might be your snoring ... you may have to switch it off as you would your mobile phone

;)

eclectic

Rhubarb
06-06-2005, 10:33 PM
During an Aus Juniors many years ago, I remember kegless turned up half an hour late for a game, sat down and immediately nodded off for about 20 minutes. He then woke up and won the game brilliantly.I don't mean to dismiss out of hand what you say, and I don't have the world's most reliable memory, but is it possible this story is apocryphal? The big stumbling block is the suggestion that I ever played brilliantly in an Australian Junior. :eh:

George, I remember playing you in Melbourne '86 (I think you played 1.b3). Was it during that tournament?

WhiteElephant
06-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't mean to dismiss out of hand what you say, and I don't have the world's most reliable memory, but is it possible this story is apocryphal? The big stumbling block is the suggestion that I ever played brilliantly in an Australian Junior. :eh:

George, I remember playing you in Melbourne '86 (I think you played 1.b3). Was it during that tournament?

Yes, I was referring to the Melbourne Juniors. I think you also beat me once in Adelaide but I gave you a much tougher fight that time.

What's wrong with 1.b3? :cool:

Rhubarb
06-06-2005, 11:49 PM
What's wrong with 1.b3? :cool: Do you mean, what's wrong with not lashing out like a fully fledged orang-utan??? :P

Oh, I'm just kidding. I sometimes experiment with both 1.g3 and 1.b3, although a KID hack like myself is much more comfortable with the former.

WhiteElephant
06-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Do you mean, what's wrong with not lashing out like a fully fledged orang-utan??? :P

Oh, I'm just kidding. I sometimes experiment with both 1.g3 and 1.b3, although a KID hack like myself is much more comfortable with the former.

Exactly. It's the not-quite-orang-utan. Very tricky...NOT!

antichrist
07-06-2005, 06:48 AM
I remember now after the nod I defeated an ex number 4 of South Australia.

Kegless and I are negotiating to share costs of a sleep hypnotiser to make tournament visits.

antichrist
07-06-2005, 10:26 AM
No law against it unless you were snoring loudly and hence disturbing other players.

In fact there is the story of Bobby Fischer V Arthur Bisguier from the 1963 US Championships.

Bisguier and Fischer are leading the tournament and are playing each other in the last round. Fischer doesnt make a move for awhile and when Bisguier looks up he sees Fischer is fast asleep.
Another 30 minutes and Bisguier will the US Champion.
Unfortunately at this stage Bisguier made a very bad move. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
As he later said " I woke up Bobby Fischer" ;)

Fischer after a yawn and a stretch went on to beat poor Bisguier and beome US champ for the 5th time.

That would have to be one of worse moves ever.

Twice in one game I reminded my opponent, a Canterbury player, in comp that he had not pressed his clock. He threatened to call the arbiter and complain about me distracting him. You can't win.

Trent Parker
07-06-2005, 12:58 PM
This is an interesting topic.

I sometimes visit the canadian chess forums. Apparently in canada they have banned sleeping at the table. Their rule is that you must be concious.

Although that might have something to do with a certain event that was quite unsavoury......

antichrist
07-06-2005, 01:20 PM
This is an interesting topic.

I sometimes visit the canadian chess forums. Apparently in canada they have banned sleeping at the table. Their rule is that you must be concious.

Although that might have something to do with a certain event that was quite unsavoury......

Come on TCN, you left out the best part, and I don't mean the s.

bergil
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
At this year's City of Sydney tournament, Bob Sewell nodded off for 15- 20mins against Elpidio Bautista. When he woke up, he took Elpidio's knight with elpidio's own pawn! It then took elpidio a few minutes to work out what happened. Now that's chess at its best.

Lucena
07-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Didn't a player get banned for falling asleep at the board towards the start of the Australian Championship in Sydney about 10 years ago?

ElevatorEscapee
08-06-2005, 11:16 PM
I don't recall any mention of a player being banned for falling asleep.

Once, at a weekender tournament, I kept waiting for my opponent to show up. 20 minutes after the official start of the game, I went looking for her, and soon found her asleep on a comfy couch upstairs.

The arbiter indicated that it was my decision whether I woke her or not.

Being there to play chess, I decided to wake her and she then proceeded to win the game. :doh:

The overwhelming theme of all these stories seems to be that if your opponent is asleep, never do anything to wake them up!

arosar
04-07-2005, 10:39 AM
The most memorable one I witnessed was Dosza nodding off against that bloke from PNG. This was at some Aussie Champs in UTS in Sydney (the one that West won).

AR

antichrist
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
The most memorable one I witnessed was Dosza nodding off against that bloke from PNG. This was at some Aussie Champs in UTS in Sydney (the one that West won).

AR

Who gave him a nudge? Did he wake up to win?

Bereaved
10-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I remember playing a game where my opponent did his utmost to convince me non verbally that he was exhausted, and then seemed to fall asleep, and then sat up and sacrificed a bishop on h7, which I had a really hard time defending, and in fact it took me until move 100 to win, and he had sacked on about move 10-15, and appeared completely alert during the intervening moves.

My question is that, if the opponent is not truly asleep, is this a form of gamesmanship, and how would one know barring the act of 'waking' them up?

Could one in turn be penalised for interfering with one's opponent on their move??

all the best, take care, God Bless,
Macavity,

When I look at some of my games, perhaps I would have been better off being asleep, as one can wake up from a (k)nightmare, but one can only resign a lost game!!

NB not intended for cross (poll)ination :owned:
M

Lucena
10-07-2005, 03:31 AM

AR

I think they actually forfeited him and kicked him out of the tournament(I think there were other considerations as well that motivated this but I don't remember exactly).

antichrist
10-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I think they actually forfeited him and kicked him out of the tournament(I think there were other considerations as well that motivated this but I don't remember exactly).

Come on Bill, we want the gory details.

MovingMan
31-07-2005, 06:58 PM
arbiter's notebook article http://chesscafe.com/text/geurt23.txt

Keith

Kevin Bonham
30-07-2011, 03:39 PM
*bump*

Just to show that AC is not the only one who can bump really old threads, I thought I'd bump one of his and put a poll on it to see who here has actually suffered this fate, if anyone. This was inspired by a metaphorical comment about a player "falling asleep" during a game that I initially mistook to be literal.

I have never actually fallen asleep during a game but I have come very close to doing so a couple of times.

Adamski
31-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Confessions time. I have fallen asleep at the board but not for too long I think. I think I went on to lose. The joys of mid-week chess after a busy day at work...

And yes, I also initially took Quentin's comment on flukey literally. (Current South Island thread.)