PDA

View Full Version : NSW Regional Chess

antichrist
02-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Currently there are some happenings in regional chess and I am guessing that they are ad hoc.

I was wondering of having a NSWCA rep allocated to each area, this person would already live in the area. The rep could try to organise and co-ordinate regional comps, teams and groups travelling to city comps etc.

As well as visiting schools to arrange maybe free coaching etc. Also organising the same for adults beginners.

I know we gave a country rep but he can't cover all of NSW.

If the rep is achieving excellent results maybe his/her very modest travel costs could be covered by H.O.

The reps responsibility would be within a certain period to have clubs in every town and village in his/her region. By getting into schools this can be done.

This is if NSWJCL did not think we were interfering in a detrimental manner.

Duff McKagan
02-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Peter, I nominate you for the job. You can start in Nowra [200km south of Sydney for those who dont know it] and work your way down the coast to the Victorian boarder. There are about six small to medium towns, 15 high schools, 35 primary and a host of retirement villages. Got the time?

antichrist
02-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I have my eyes on a warmer climate which is even mentioned in an Aussie song of the seventies (I think)

Duff McKagan
02-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I have my eyes on a warmer climate which is even mentioned in an Aussie song of the seventies (I think)

Are you going to Cuba in April to play the Dragon against some West Indian champion?

antichrist
02-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Are you going to Cuba in April to play the Dragon against some West Indian champion?

Dragon may have been the band, can't remember. A place in NSW which has become over popular in spite of me. 2nd hint, I used to be called Fast Bucks No 2

auriga
07-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Peter, I nominate you for the job. You can start in Nowra [200km south of Sydney for those who dont know it] and work your way down the coast to the Victorian boarder. There are about six small to medium towns, 15 high schools, 35 primary and a host of retirement villages. Got the time?

i'm in nowra at the moment working - seems like cool place.
hoping to get time to go to the chess club at wollongong on tue
(though will take 1hr to get there)

i'm not sure if there is any adult chess (though alot of schools chess) played between wollongong and bega (i've heard of keen players in batemans bay but not a club). anybody know any different??

antichrist
07-06-2005, 12:58 PM
as last resort you can check local clubs, often there will be informal clubs not registered either with NSWCA or part of the club are enquirying at - they just meet.

Trent Parker
07-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Currently there are some happenings in regional chess and I am guessing that they are ad hoc.

I was wondering of having a NSWCA rep allocated to each area, this person would already live in the area. The rep could try to organise and co-ordinate regional comps, teams and groups travelling to city comps etc.

As well as visiting schools to arrange maybe free coaching etc. Also organising the same for adults beginners.

If the rep is achieving excellent results maybe his/her very modest travel costs could be covered by H.O.

The reps responsibility would be within a certain period to have clubs in every town and village in his/her region. By getting into schools this can be done.

Hey Antichrist!!!

OMG you came up with a good idea! But also I think the key is.... to try and get Sydneyites out to the country to play in the country tournaments. Places like Dubbo and Laurieton have their little category 1 GP tournaments. If We could get people from sydney going to these places we might be able to get rid of the category one GP's altogether (they would become cat2). Sure there are Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie tournaments but....

Perhaps a motion could be put to the next NSWCA AGM that the country rep pos be split into something like North, South, West and Newcastle/central coast? But i agree that it would need to be someone who came from those areas. Also it would be very hard for these people to come to council meetings so perhaps rather than the position being split perhaps have a head country rep and then the area country reps who are reportable to the Head....

Now where are we going to find the people???

Bill Gletsos
07-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Perhaps a motion could be put to the next NSWCA AGM that the country rep pos be split into something like North, South, West and Newcastle/central coast?You really dont want to be doing this as the size of the Council can just get unwieldly.
You can just have co-ordinators for those areas who liase with the Country rep.

Trent Parker
07-06-2005, 02:05 PM
You really dont want to be doing this as the size of the Council can just get unwieldly.
You can just have co-ordinators for those areas who liase with the Country rep.

Yeah thats what i sort of meant with the second half of that paragraph....

Duff McKagan
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
You really dont want to be doing this as the size of the Council can just get unwieldly.

You mean that there would be too many for you to control each month.

Bill Gletsos
07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
You mean that there would be too many for you to control each month.No. I meant exactly what I said.
There are currently 14 council positions.
Increasing it to 17 or 18 would be too unwieldly.

Trent Parker
07-06-2005, 04:45 PM
You mean that there would be too many for you to control each month.

Bill.... Ignore him.

I want this thread of Antichrists to remain a tread of constructive ideas and not to be dragged under by such flaming that occurs on this board. I thought you would be better than that Duff.... :(

Duff McKagan
07-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Bill.... Ignore him.I thought you would be better than that Duff.... :(

You are 100% right. I should not have baited Bill.:oops: I will try not to do it again. In fact I might just go and neck myself tonight so that I never do it again. If I don't post tomorrow you will know that I am dead.:boohoo: :cry: :dead:

Gringo
07-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Duff's comment was a mild dose of truth, it could have been much,much
harsher. As if things will change .....

EGOR
07-06-2005, 06:47 PM

It is a very good idea. If you vote me in as president at the next NSWCA AGM, I'll do my best to implement it. However, more along the lines of having rep's who are not a part of the council, not practical, but who will give a voice to the regional chess players and help support the growth of chess in these area's. :)

antichrist
07-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Now here is a little surprise for a few of you.

Bill, one of the reasons I did not follow up with the chess centre was because a few years ago I had to move out of Sydney to very far away, and, being the thinker that I am, seen the need for the country reps. So I can see things everywhere, aren't I great.

Next year, when not so busy, I would like to have a go at doing the Far North Coast, for example from the border to Grafton, hopefully not as far down as Coffs. At the moment Graeme Gardiner's chess centre is a terrific focal point but it is mainly Queenslanders and almost no one from NSW as far as I know, though his coaching reps extend down to Ballina at least.

I have not at all thought of them been members of council, which would of course require a change of the constitution. I can understand your deserved/undeserved concern about this but seeing it has been brought up if they were quite successful maybe they would deserve some recognition. Not necessarily a committee member because how many could or want to travel to Sydney, unless for AGM once a year.

What I found with doing the humble Sydney CBD chess club that I needed H/O support, which I received to an extent but was still limiting. Country reps, if supported, would not be limited to people with good personal financial back up. And, strictly speaking, should have the support of H/O if making the effort. Safeguards could be installed to protect any H/O assets loaned to reps.

I think that originally we should not expect too much from each rep for a variety of reasons but within a year should produce good results.

auriga
07-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Now here is a little surprise for a few of you.

Bill, one of the reasons I did not follow up with the chess centre was because a few years ago I had to move out of Sydney to very far away, and, being the thinker that I am, seen the need for the country reps. So I can see things everywhere, aren't I great.

Next year, when not so busy, I would like to have a go at doing the Far North Coast, for example from the border to Grafton, hopefully not as far down as Coffs. At the moment Graeme Gardiner's chess centre is a terrific focal point but it is mainly Queenslanders and almost no one from NSW as far as I know, though his coaching reps extend down to Ballina at least.

I have not at all thought of them been members of council, which would of course require a change of the constitution. I can understand your deserved/undeserved concern about this but seeing it has been brought up if they were quite successful maybe they would deserve some recognition. Not necessarily a committee member because how many could or want to travel to Sydney, unless for AGM once a year.

What I found with doing the humble Sydney CBD chess club that I needed H/O support, which I received to an extent but was still limiting. Country reps, if supported, would not be limited to people with good personal financial back up. And, strictly speaking, should have the support of H/O if making the effort. Safeguards could be installed to protect any H/O assets loaned to reps.

I think that originally we should not expect too much from each rep for a variety of reasons but within a year should produce good results.

go onya a/c. paying back your debt to society.
do the byron bay chess community approve?!

antichrist
07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
go onya a/c. paying back your debt to society.
do the byron bay chess community approve?!

Being hippy and holiday territory what do you expect - no group or structure in any sense of the word.

But for other purposes I have sought and received "permission" to represent us, i.e., having a garden set near the beach. And expect to suceeed eventually as have received good support in the right quarters.

There has been dysfunctionalism before my time which is a result of the ad hoc-ism which continues to split the community. A formal group would eliminate such.

There is supposed to be a small group at Lismore which is difficult to find. The same could go for Ballina, etc etc.

EGOR
08-06-2005, 09:48 PM
It is a real shame that this thread seems to have died so quickly. Looking for better ways to develop chess in regional areas is an important issue that matters to the life and future of chess in NSW.
Does anybody care?
Maybe it is seen as just being in the to hard basket?
Is there actually anything being done at the State Council level?
Would the establishment of a chess centre make a difference?
If nobody does anything nothing will happen. :hmm:

billross
09-06-2005, 07:26 AM
The Tyranny of Distance strikes again! Its too hard!

In Coffs we do not enjoy the same support for Junior chess which is seen in Sydney Newcastle and Wollongong, Apart from a couple of teachers, Junior chess has no real roots here. Distant regional areas are an untapped potential for chess growth.

I have raised with the NSWCA the possibility of organising internet comps. I think it would be failry staightforward to organise teams of 4 playing on a small network - we tried this on laptops and a wireless network in my home one night. This could allow places like Lismore, Coffs, Byron Bay, Dubbo etc to regularly play good quality chess against opponents from other clubs.

However, all these things take time to organise. I fully appreciate the hours put in by the many volunteer administators. For Australian chess to move forward I agree with the concept of permanent paid positions funded by the chess community. It seems to me that minimal money is required by chess palyers who wish to play, but chess palyers need to look at the big picture and commit to higher subs to build a viable and effective infrastructure. Perhaps if everyone bought one less chess book a year?? - sorry Brian, Peter

antichrist
09-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Billross,
may I suggest that you send a motion for the next AGM although that is 5 months away. I was looking at commencing early next year anyway.

It is terrific that you are at Coffs because we can link up for big events.

It you want to act more early you can send them a motion for their ordinary council meeting.

I can help you in Coffs as I have relos there I can stay at.

Brian_Jones
09-06-2005, 08:37 AM
However, all these things take time to organise. I fully appreciate the hours put in by the many volunteer administators. For Australian chess to move forward I agree with the concept of permanent paid positions funded by the chess community. It seems to me that minimal money is required by chess palyers who wish to play, but chess palyers need to look at the big picture and commit to higher subs to build a viable and effective infrastructure. Perhaps if everyone bought one less chess book a year?? - sorry Brian, Peter

I agree with you entirely Bill!

antichrist
09-06-2005, 08:42 AM
But after my experience with the Sydney CBD club I don't think you will find people parting with money too easily.

Maybe Graeme Gardiner is doing it the correct way at the Gold Coast as far as the regional areas go anyway.

Edit: but he has a much larger population to draw from.

Internet games are good but we don't really want children sitting in front of computers all day - though they do it already for silly games. But maybe that is the best compromise with OTB comps occasionally. Maybe for finals.

And maybe we can make extensive use of billeting to & thro.

antichrist
09-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Brian, you have done tonnes more organising than I have, what are your ideas on how do etc.?

antichrist
09-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Bill, so that this issue does not loses focus, can you post any objections (if any) you have to the proposal. Can you have it disucssed by council so that issues can be thrashed out and settled.

I do visit Sydney occasionally, maybe an informal meeting could be arranged for all those interested, for and against, to discuss. Maybe, with sufficient notice other "country reps" may come.

billross
10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
We already have a country rep on Council. However, the only real communication with him is in regards to the NSW Country Team Champs - usually held the first w/e in December. We meet and have a chat but have not had a formal meeting. The other line of communication is through the club reps meeting. I had asked for the internet comp to be put on the agenda, but I am unaware of the outcome - I was unable to attend that meeting myself. I do think that a NSWCA funded trip around the regions to meet with clubs would be a good idea. The resultant networking might stimulate interclub matches eg North Coast League Laurieton, Port, Coffs, Lismore, Byron, Armidale are possible participants. This could be the basis of your motion which I would certainly support.

Bill

antichrist
11-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks very much Bill. I think this issue will be dealt with by council within reasonable time and we can proceed from there.

Mullumbimby and Ocean Shores has active players as well, and I am sure there are more small communities out there that we must locate. Grafton must have players.

Maybe we could chase up these groups, do free blurbs in local newspapers and ask NSWJCL and NSWCA to notify their members of our intention and meetings and have a few meetings maybe 150 km apart. The organisers, like maybe you and I and others who are interested, could attend all these meetings.

We will get to know each other, if and how we can work together and what to organise.

A Far North Coast championship is a must. With billeting it should not be too expensive even for city players. If we can announce ages beforehand player can take advantage of those $29 airfares from Virgin and Jetstar.

If you can manage to crack a garden chess set in Coffs somewhere it would be a good drawcard. Before those philistines bulldozed that mall it would have been a beauty.

Edit: we need to offer cheap or free chess coaching in schools or after school hours when not too late.