PDA

View Full Version : Inter School Schermozzle

Mischa
31-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Round one of the Victorian Interschool competitions today.
16 children from our school turned up to the host school in anticipation of a great day of chess.
The host school were expecting us.
No other school turned up.
Chess Victoria didn't turn up.
No notice received from chess Victoria notifying host school or our school of change of plans.
The kids were disappointed.
Many parents had taken valuable time off work.
Other parents expended time and petrol ferrying team members to and from the venue.
Our school spent $200 to hire as relief teacher for the day.
Chess Victoria seem uncontactable.
What a schermozzle.

Mischa
31-05-2005, 10:56 AM
further more...just last week our school had confirmation of entry to this event on this date at this venue.

antichrist
31-05-2005, 11:34 AM
And to think of all the houha of me having an innocent nap at a JCL meeting going late into the night after me commencing work about 6am that morning

firegoat7
31-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Mischa,

What can I say. A disappointing result, one that clearly demonstrates the amatuerish nature of Victorian chess, not to mention the lack of political will by its leaders to become accountable for things. A sad story of repeated failure to deliver the goods.

Nevertheless, I am amazed the schools almost actually physically participated in the event, since I myself could not decipher the boo-row-crass-tic legality of the forms themselves. I rang up up the Interschool directer (who confused me even more), then had a heated localised discussion with an anonymous friend, over the interpretation of the, said rules. In effect I gave up because I was paralysed, like burdens ass I died not knowing which bale of hay to eat.

Moreover, you have a right to express your disappointment. It is not good enough , a story I have labored time and time again on this BB. No doubt the bots will start complaining about, why don't you change it, when of course, most of them display little interest in the actual reality of the Victorian chess problem.

Anyway, for what it is worth I can offer you this. MCC has all its own equipment and would be willing to provide a venue free of charge and with an arbiter if the appropriate school organisers email me. Please PM me if you want this to happen. Unfortunately, I can not offer anything in relation to Victorian competitions (ie qualifying), but I can guarantee that the kids will be able to play chess against each other in a relaxed and friendly environment.

As a side point, would you be prepared to explain on this forum, who exactly let you down and who organised the particular event.

Cheers Fg7

Mischa
31-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Hey Klyall....
you were there and pretty upset too.
Have you nothing to say about it?

antichrist
31-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Can I talk on her behalf, and how come you have all those green lights?

Thunderspirit
31-05-2005, 11:40 PM
You don't need to be intelligent to be organised, but it does help...

Rincewind
31-05-2005, 11:55 PM
You don't need to be intelligent to be organised, but it does help...

Lets keep the financially motivated posts to a minimum. (Preferrably zero).

Rincewind
01-06-2005, 12:20 AM
I think the point was made in china trip thread. Desist or this thread will be purged of all marketing material. It's a pity no one from CV has been able to add anything relevent to topic. Of all the posts thus far only fg7 has added anything constructive.

Bill Gletsos
01-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Perhaps the problem stems from the lack of a Junior League in Victoria.

Rincewind
01-06-2005, 12:35 AM
I think the point was made in china trip thread. Desist or this thread will be purged of all marketing material. It's a pity no one from CV has been able to add anything relevent to topic. Of all the posts thus far only fg7 has added anything constructive.

Get it?

(Oh, and now add Bill to list of constructive posters)

Duff McKagan
01-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Perhaps the problem stems from the lack of a Junior League in Victoria. I agree entirely. The NSWJCL is probably the best run chess body in the country along with the ACT chess player factory.

Cheers.

firegoat7
01-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Perhaps the problem stems from the lack of a Junior League in Victoria.

Maybe you could enlighten us ignorant victorians as to why there is no junior chess league in the state?

Cheers Fg7

Bill Gletsos
01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe you could enlighten us ignorant victorians as to why there is no junior chess league in the state?Not all Victorians are ignornant. Perhaps one of them can shed some light on what on my part was clearly a question not a statement.
After all I simply asked if perhaps the problem is due to Victorias lack of a Junior League.
Perhaps a Victorian who knows what they are talking about can inform us non Victorians why Victoria seems to have a problem with being able to have a functioning JCL.

firegoat7
01-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Perhaps one of them can shed some light on what on my part was clearly a question not a statement.

May I suggest that you start getting familiar with this key ?????? That way we can tell if your statement is in fact a question :hand:

Perhaps a Victorian who knows what they are talking about can inform us non Victorians why Victoria seems to have a problem with being able to have a functioning JCL.
Of course the assumption is that because N.S.W has a junior chess league Victoria ought to have one. It has already been clarified why there is no VJCL. We have been informing you for a while, its not a Victorian problem if you cant hear, or then again maybe it is if you wear two hats. :hand:

Cheers fg7

Bill Gletsos
01-06-2005, 01:01 PM
May I suggest that you start getting familiar with this key ?????? That way we can tell if your statement is in fact a question :hand:It was clear it was a question. If it had been a statement I would have said "The problem stems from the lack of a Junior League in Victoria."

Of course the assumption is that because N.S.W has a junior chess league Victoria ought to have one.That wasnt the assumption at all. NSW, ACT, SA and WA all have Junior Leagues (not sure about QLD). VIC doesnt. A coherent, rational explanation as to why would be appreciated. As such hopefully someone other than yourself will provide one. :hand:

It has already been clarified why there is no VJCL.Can you provide an actual post showing where this has been clarified.

We have been informing you for a while, its not a Victorian problem if you cant hear, or then again maybe it is if you wear two hats. :hand:Who is this 'we' who has been doing the informing as to why there is no JCL in VIC.

Duff McKagan
01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Bill, FG.

Bill: your "perhaps" without a "?" translates as a statment using the literary device called rhetoric.

FG. your "we" suggests that there are others of like mind and opinion. You need to be less circumspect.

Go back to your corners, keep it clean of pedantics and come out fighting.

:uhoh:

Bill Gletsos
01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Go back to your corners, keep it clean of pedantics and come out fighting.Just hope the two protagonists dont miss each other and clobber the ref. ;)

Duff McKagan
01-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Just hope the two protagonists dont miss each other and clobber the ref. ;)

FG7 is the old war horse here. As a Johnny-come-lately I wouldnt stand a chance against him. You keep up your pugnatious reparte and we in the front row will hold our newspapers high.

antichrist
01-06-2005, 02:35 PM
And fancy silly Egor trying to hose them down, he doesn't know the fun we have here.

Gee I have upset you with that UCJ joke, no one wants to mention it, admit it was a beauty.

firegoat7
01-06-2005, 02:36 PM
A coherent, rational explanation as to why would be appreciated. As such hopefully someone other than yourself will provide one. :hand:

No problems, find out for yourself. :owned:

Cheers Fg7

Libby
01-06-2005, 04:35 PM
The important factor here is not that something stuffed up - it is how the aftermath is handled.

Anyone can make a mistake, have a misunderstanding, a failure in communication or unforseeable emergency.

Prompt follow up with the injured parties and most will be forgiven.

Do we know why it happened? Has Mischa received any explanation?

The answer here isn't anything to do with an alternative provider being able to run a similar activity as well or better (or worse ;) ).

It might become the story eventually because if you don't do your job well and don't follow through with people and don't be your own best PR, then you do leave yourself open to a mass migration to an alternative that is able to satisfy people better in that respect.

We went through a period in the ACT when it was suggested to me, on more than one occasion, that if we failed to get our act together a rival event was waiting in the wings - ready to be bigger, better, more professional etc etc etc.

But we're still here - and at $6 per participant to enter. And everyone gets a ribbon (I get to write out about 1000 of them myself - that's love for you :doh: )

antichrist
01-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I think I am needed down there to run a Victorian Junior Chess League and a Melbourne Easter Cup.

Mischa
01-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Still no explanation....but I am not the appropriate person to receive any.
Any apologies or explanations would go to the schools concerned.
I can pass on information tho.

eclectic
01-06-2005, 05:51 PM
is the chess victoria administration similar to the spindles (microtubules) in mitosis and meiosis ... visible only at certain stages ... ?

:hmm:

eclectic

Duff McKagan
01-06-2005, 11:57 PM
is the chess victoria administration similar to the spindles (microtubules) in mitosis and meiosis ... visible only at certain stages ... ?

:hmm:

eclectic

More like a recent dose of vinca alkaloids.

EGOR
02-06-2005, 05:56 AM
And fancy silly Egor trying to hose them down, he doesn't know the fun we have here.

Gee I have upset you with that UCJ joke, no one wants to mention it, admit it was a beauty.
What are you taking about? :confused:

firegoat7
04-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Mischa,

Any details about who mucked up here?

Cheers fg7

Mischa
04-06-2005, 07:01 PM
At this stage it just seems to be case of lack of communication...but by whom to whom I have insufficient information to tell.
Klyall just informed me that many other interschool tournys have since been cancelled, but I have no other info. on this.

Rincewind
04-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Klyall just informed me that many other interschool tournys have since been cancelled, but I have no other info. on this.
Perhaps Klyall could fill in the blanks...

klyall
04-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I received an email this morning that indicates that the next few Interschool zones (including Metro Inner West June 14/15) will not proceed.

Schools are still able at the moment to enter via the Semi Finals:
SF East Aug 16/17
SF North Aug 23/24
SF West Aug 30/31
SF Central Sep 9/10

I will post further information when available.

Mischa
04-06-2005, 09:55 PM
So the kids can't play until the semi finals?

Mischa
04-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Kerry...I just want you to know that we are sad at you resignation over this issue...it had nothing to do with you, and junior chess in Vic. may have lost their chance to benefit from your enthusiasm and committment.
It is our loss.

jenni
04-06-2005, 10:05 PM
It is our loss.
and Australia's....

firegoat7
05-06-2005, 05:04 AM
I received an email this morning that indicates that the next few Interschool zones (including Metro Inner West June 14/15) will not proceed.

Hi kyall,

Who did you receive the email from? Are the zones 'official zones' or 'private' zones. Why are the zones being cancelled, Mischa told us there were enough teams in her schools zones, so what is the reasoning for the cancellations?

Cheers Fg7

klyall
05-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi Firegoat

I recieved the email from Peter Caissa. I'm afraid what I posted is all the information I have at the moment. I will post more, if and when more information becomes available.

Mischa is correct in her assumption that Essex Heights cannot play in any "official" Chess Victoria inter - school events prior to the semi - finals. There are a number of "unofficial" events run by David Cordover and others.

It is up to the school to decide if they wish to play in any of these other events.

I am extremely saddened :( by what occurred on Tuesday. All those little seven and eight year olds who were so bewildered and disappointed, the sad faces of James, Eugene, Thomas, Udit, Jerome, Nicholas, Radha, Aaron, and others was truly tragic. I am extremely sorry for the parents (my self included) who took time off work to support their children, and for the inconvenience for the school.

I hope Chess Victoria can organise itself so that there are no more debacles like Tuesday.

Garvinator
05-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Mischa is correct in her assumption that Essex Heights cannot play in any "official" Chess Victoria inter - school events prior to the semi - finals. There are a number of "unofficial" events run by David Cordover and others.
Why cant Essex Heights play in any 'official' cv event prior to the semi finals?

Adding, it seems like cv are happy to have David running the junior show down there.