PDA

View Full Version : Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series start

ursogr8
11-01-2004, 10:47 AM
The first evening of the Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series began on 9/1/4 as Box Hill opened the Club-rooms for the first time this year.
Evening number 1 was three rounds of RAPID play at 20 minutes + 10seconds/move. The initial winner, and only picket fence, was Anthony Miller who has taken home all the money on offer in the first evening of this series that will run during the year at various weeks.
Higher rated players such as Marcus Raine, Howard Liston and Janusz Dutka fell at various hurdles and will have make up lost ground in the next two weeks when the SERIES continues till 23/1/4.
Visitors are welcome and $5 covers the visitors fee for January.
Entry fee is also payable.

As an interesting aside, the proprietor of the chess book-room at Box Hill, Marcus Raine, showed me an interesting book called Play the Fischer-Random, authored by Szvetozar Gligoric (not sure if I spelt that correctly). Marcus judged that my interest in the F_R thread on this BB would be enhanced by reading the book. Frankly, I think the book is inferior to the material already on our thread (particularly the stuff on 'opening principles' on the old BB). In fact, if White wins the game against the troika then the distilled wisdom from the thread would make a useful article. Now I wonder where I should publish?

Next week at Box Hill we continue with three more rounds of RAPID Play starting at 8pm.

starter

Garvinator
11-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Now I wonder where I should publish?

i think you should wait till the end of the game, that way you can save yourself typing time :P

ursogr8
11-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Now I wonder where I should publish?

i think you should wait till the end of the game, that way you can save yourself typing time :P

'ra'ra

Are you suggesting then that you will be typing an article from the Black-side?
If so, best of British luck to you making something out of the postings of one of the others in the troika.

starter

Bill Gletsos
11-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Since I figure you are not referring to Kevin, that only leaves one suspect.

ursogr8
12-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Since I figure you are not referring to Kevin, that only leaves one suspect.

Bill
Very early on in my post history I was revealed as oblique, not pointed.
starter

ursogr8
16-01-2004, 10:43 PM
The first evening of the Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series began on 9/1/4 as Box Hill opened the Club-rooms for the first time this year.
Evening number 1 was three rounds of RAPID play at 20 minutes + 10seconds/move. The initial winner, and only picket fence, was Anthony Miller who has taken home all the money on offer in the first evening of this series that will run during the year at various weeks.
Higher rated players such as Marcus Raine, Howard Liston and Janusz Dutka fell at various hurdles and will have make up lost ground in the next two weeks when the SERIES continues till 23/1/4.

As an interesting aside, the proprietor of the chess book-room at Box Hill, Marcus Raine, showed me an interesting book called Play the Fischer-Random, authored by Szvetozar Gligoric (not sure if I spelt that correctly). Marcus judged that my interest in the F_R thread on this BB would be enhanced by reading the book. Frankly, I think the book is inferior to the material already on our thread (particularly the stuff on 'opening principles' on the old BB). In fact, if White wins the game against the troika then the distilled wisdom from the thread would make a useful article. Now I wonder where I should publish?

Next week at Box Hill we continue with three more rounds of RAPID Play starting at 8pm.

starter

The second evening of the Box Hill 2004 Friday RAPID Play _ Grand Prix series began on 16/1/4 as Box Hill opened the Club-rooms for the second time this year.
Evening number 2 was three rounds of RAPID play at 20 minutes + 10seconds/move. The winner, with a picket fence, was David Flude, on count-back from Nur Yachou. Fluedy has taken home all the money on offer in the second evening of this series that will run during the year at various weeks.

starter

bobby1972
20-01-2004, 01:34 PM
when you say fludy has taken home all the money.well done flude,how much hard cash are we talking about $$$$??????????????????

ursogr8
20-01-2004, 01:59 PM
when you say fludy has taken home all the money.well done flude,how much hard cash are we talking about $$$$??????????????????

Ascaro

You are not going to introduce 'mickey mouse' again are you?

starter
ps WBA ...I thought you had disciplined this character?

bobby1972
20-01-2004, 04:06 PM
no nothing to do with that it just a question.

ursogr8
20-01-2004, 07:00 PM
no nothing to do with that it just a question.

Ascaro

Standard BH appoach was used.

Add all the revenue up for the evening.
Take out an amount to cover rating (yes we rate RAPID play).
Divide into 2 pieces.
One portion covers local costs.
The rest goes to the winner.

Fluedy went home with a very small prize, but was happy. :D
starter

bobby1972
21-01-2004, 09:15 AM
no politics this is just a question i was a member and played in the open,if you had 86 yes 86 players and entry was $20,$15 and visitor fee $10
if the policy is divide all money by 2,why is the tournament page say $5 for every entry into prize money.1st was $100 ,2 person shared 2nd for $50
now say do the math and it does not add up this divide by 2 system. just would like to know the real formula for prize money .all numbers given here are taken from web page .i was at prize giving so i know this prizes are correct.for all the people out there who like statistics do the math on this one.

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 09:31 AM
no politics this is just a question i was a member and played in the open,if you had 86 yes 86 players and entry was $20,$15 and visitor fee $10
if the policy is divide all money by 2,why is the tournament page say $5 for every entry into prize money.1st was $100 ,2 person shared 2nd for $50
now say do the math and it does not add up this divide by 2 system. just would like to know the real formula for prize money .all numbers given here are taken from web page .i was at prize giving so i know this prizes are correct.for all the people out there who like statistics do the math on this one.

Good morning Ascaro
Your MCC week-ender prizes sure look attractive, and I did like the links to the re-painted premises.

The formula I gave applies to BH rapid events like the ALLEGRO and the RAPID play.
Bigger events have their own prize distributions which are usually described in the flyer; as you quoted from the OPEN. We honour these even if we lose money due to unforeseens.

And no, before you ask, I don't know anyone who even makes a meagre living from our prizes. Not even Fluedy who always picks up the best senior prize. But then the Club policy statement says we concentrate on other objectives. When you next drop in I will hand you a copy.

Chess World and the MCC offer the best prizes for the guns.

starter

bobby1972
21-01-2004, 09:57 AM
very quick answer,you know no one plays for the money.i mean who gets 86 players in a turney,not even the reserves so why not make more prize money .everything else is great it has to be to attract 86 players.
at another club only 10 players yes 10 turned up for a $300 garanteed 1st. $80 each for 2nd 3rd shared .and still the club suffered no loss . so if you get 86 players surely prizes can be improved.

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 10:28 AM
very quick answer,you know no one plays for the money.i mean who gets 86 players in a turney,not even the reserves so why not make more prize money .everything else is great it has to be to attract 86 players.
at another club only 10 players yes 10 turned up for a $300 garanteed 1st. $80 each for 2nd 3rd shared .and still the club suffered no loss . so if you get 86 players surely prizes can be improved.

hi Ascaro
You are starting to ask questions like an administrator. Be Careful. You could find yourself on the MCC Committee and then who knows.

It comes down to business models for a chess club I think.
We open three days a week, and therefore always have 3 tournaments running at least. So, an active player could be paying entry fees for tournaments very regularly.

More than 50% of our entrants pay only the concession entry fee which indicates they are not flush with funds. A 7-evening tournament usually has the entry fee set at $15 concession and this attracts anywhere between 86 and 120 entrants. Your MCC Australia Day OPEN charges more than double this...$40 concession, for the long week-end.
We could not attract 86 entrants to three tournaments a week if we charged $40 entry to each.

Our cost structure is probably a bit different from where you own your premises. We have to cover $50 per session on rent.

The down-side of our business model is that we are unlikely to attract to any SWISS tournaments those very strong chess players who like to win substantial prizes.
The only time we attract a significant number of strong players is to the Interclub competition. This is not a SWISS tournament; has no junk rounds, and is therefore very attractive to players like Mike Woodhams, Doug Hamilton, and many more. (Late edit: Hence the thread called "How competititive do you want it to be", where the significant difference in competitiveness between SWISS and grades is measured by a metric for all to see why strong players like grades.)

starter

PS
Ascaro. There is one big change planned for our program this year. The VIC OPEN moves to Box Hill and there are plans for some sponsorship money. So, the prizes for this event will be higher than our normal bread and water rations.

Garvinator
21-01-2004, 10:31 AM
hi Ascaro
You are starting to ask questions like an administrator. Be Careful. You could find yourself on the MCC Committee and then who knows.
starter

and would either of you want that ;)

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 10:40 AM
hi Ascaro
starter

and would either of you want that ;)

Yes. I would be happy working with Ascaro anytime.

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 10:45 AM

Ascaro,

I understand from previous posts that English may be your second language - but do they have no capitals in your native tongue? :shock:

I think Thunk has a keyboard you could borrow. Just as long as you only start sentences with the letter 'E'. :D

BTW if you know Italian did you get my pun a few months ago where I asked you to stop "bleating on about the rating system"?

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Ascaro,

I understand from previous posts that English may be your second language - but do they have no capitals in your native tongue? :shock:

I think Thunk has a keyboard you could borrow. Just as long as you only start sentences with the letter 'E'. :D

BTW if you know Italian did you get my pun a few months ago where I asked you to stop "bleating on about the rating system"?

hi Barry
Posted as an individual?
Or posted as a moderator who is going to spruce up the tone, spelling, and general appearance of posts?
starter

bobby1972
21-01-2004, 10:57 AM
ok point taken.no chance for administrator you lost me after business plan bit ,vic open at bh man thats great.many great players in the open over last few years.

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 10:59 AM

hi Barry
Posted as an individual?
Or posted as a moderator who is going to spruce up the tone, spelling, and general appearance of posts?
starter

Just a friendly jibe as an individual.

As a moderator I'm primarily worried about offensive language and libellous content. I'm not a member of the fashion police. ;)

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 11:03 AM

hi Barry
Posted as an individual?
starter

Just a friendly jibe as an individual.

As a moderator I'm primarily worried about offensive language and libellous content. I'm not a member of the fashion police. ;)

I had hoped you answered differently. I was looking forward to watching you moderate Matt's return. :-''

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 12:18 PM
I had hoped you answered differently. I was looking forward to watching you moderate Matt's return. :-''

And now?

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 01:01 PM

And now?

B

And now, I put it in the category of
> ggrayggrays campaign against thread drift
>> Paul B's ridicule of Thunk's affliction
>>> Kevin's questioning of fg7's 'clowns' target.
>>>> CL's reaction to...
>>>>> my facilitation of F_R

That is, just a bee that gets in our bonnet. ;)

s

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 02:46 PM
ok point taken.no chance for administrator you lost me after business plan bit ,vic open at bh man thats great.many great players in the open over last few years.

Ascaro

So, can I start the advertising campaign now? Lead item>

Pecori is a confirmed starter for the 2004 Victorian OPEN. 8)

starter

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 03:00 PM

With that draw card I'm sure you will have players flocking to your tournament.

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 03:14 PM

You are getting to be very subtle Barry.

The Macquarie dictionary says
>>> flock ....a number of animal of one kind herded together, especially goats .... [-X

Intentional?

starter

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 03:26 PM

>>> flock ....a number of animal of one kind herded together, especially goats .... [-X

Intentional?

You're on the right track but using the wrong dictionary. ;)

arosar
21-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Looks like Bazza's bored this avro.

AR

Bill Gletsos
21-01-2004, 03:38 PM

And now?

B

And now, I put it in the category of
> ggrayggrays campaign against thread drift
>> Paul B's ridicule of Thunk's affliction
>>> Kevin's questioning of fg7's 'clowns' target.
>>>> CL's reaction to...
>>>>> my facilitation of F_R

That is, just a bee that gets in our bonnet. ;)

You could have included my low tolerance of morons. ;)

Bill Gletsos
21-01-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm not a member of the fashion police. ;)
I've seen the way you dress so I can vouch for that. :D ;) ;)

Bill Gletsos
21-01-2004, 03:55 PM

Intentional?

A flock of geese or maybe if you have a really strange dictionary, clowns. ;)

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 04:05 PM

Intentional?

Barry

I am fresh out of dictionaries, so reduced to guessing.
Would CL be a candidate in the flock?

starter

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 04:11 PM

I don't know if there is an established collective noun for clowns. Perhaps as appeals committee of clowns. :D

Geese on the the other hand are blessed with a plethora of collectives:

wedge, gaggle, skein, flock and nide.

Perhaps the geese could loan one of their collectives to the clowns in a slightly modified form:

A wedgie of clowns.

:D :D

Amiel, no cricket. :(

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 04:17 PM

I don't know if there is an established collective noun for clowns. Perhaps as appeals committee of clowns. :D

Geese on the the other hand are blessed with a plethora of collectives:

wedge, gaggle, skein, flock and nide.

Perhaps the geese could loan one of their collectives to the clowns in a slightly modified form:

A wedgie of clowns.

:D :D

Amiel, no cricket. :(

Barry
You are at a loose end aren't you. :rolleyes:
I like my accidental 'goats' find best. ;)

starter

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 04:22 PM

I am fresh out of dictionaries, so reduced to guessing.
Would CL be a candidate in the flock?

The collective for CL would be leash.

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 04:24 PM
I like my accidental 'goats' find best.

OK, here is a hint.

www.garzantilinguistica.it

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 07:00 PM
I like my accidental 'goats' find best.

OK, here is a hint.

www.garzantilinguistica.it

Barry!!!

You really need to go and watch the tennis.

OK. As to your hint. I need to wait till my wife comes home from shopping so that she can translate the Italian web-site you have linked us to. :-''

As to the collective names for 'clowns'; that has already been decided by fg7. It is a 'maladministration of clowns'. [-(

starter

Rincewind
21-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Just show your wife this post...

ursogr8
21-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Just show your wife this post...

Barry

Now I am confused. :D

My wife has looked at the messages and she says that you are suggesting that a lot of New Zealanders will enter the Victorian OPEN. ;)

Anyone from Bondi chess Club know what special arrangements I should make? :P

starter

Rincewind
22-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Now I am confused. :D

My wife has looked at the messages and she says that you are suggesting that a lot of New Zealanders will enter the Victorian OPEN. ;)

Anyone from Bondi chess Club know what special arrangements I should make? :P

There isn't (to my knowledge) a Bondi Chess Club. Sydneysiders would no doubt know better but I believe Hakoah is the closest. Contact: V Feldman. ;)

I hope Ascaro doesn't get too offended by my pun, it was meant as a jovial one-line but somehow turned into a running joke.

Anyone is willing to try to make puns on my name, provided they are one's I haven't heard before (Bonham's Law) and will not contravene posting content policy (which in my case, really cuts down the scope). ;)

In case your wife didn't fill in the blanks you've probably worked out pecore is the Italian word for sheep.

Anyone want a guess as to why the collective noun for chesslovers would be a leash?

ursogr8
28-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Anyone want a guess as to why the collective noun for chesslovers would be a leash?

Baz
I give up.
Hit me with it.
starter

ursogr8
07-03-2004, 12:30 PM

starter

Box Hill Chess Club
Bulletin Board

An Allegro competition held 5 March 2004 at Box Hill saw Milenko Lojanica and Jusef Omeragic tie for 1st place in Division 1. In Division 2, Richard Martin (BroadZ rules?) and Artem Nikolayevsky tied for 1st place.

Just a correction to last week’s anecdote where we noted that the kibbutzers were overjoyed to see Fludey walking around saying "I was killed by a beautiful piece sacrifice that I didn’t see coming". Fludey’s opponent now advises that David was the exchange down at the time. Talk about never admitting defeat.

starter