PDA

View Full Version : What should i do?

OCfan
28-05-2005, 05:09 PM
hi everyone, i'm new to the forums, so sorry if i've posted this in the wrong place. :(
anyways, i play chess, but i don't know if i should continue playing or not, because i'm probably not going to get anywhere, and i don't think im good enough to get anywhere. What should i do?

Garvinator
28-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Do you mind if i ask? Which state/city do you live in? Why I ask is that would then be easier to guide in for who you to ask in person for help ie coaches, getting reading material etc.

Spiny Norman
28-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Hiya OCfan,

Your BB moniker is an important clue. The OC will rot your brain. ;) Give that a miss and the strong chess moves will being to flow.

Unless you're a Kasparov, there's always a better player around, so level of skill isn't really the only factor one should use to measure things. Do you enjoy chess? The challenge of it? How do you feel when you play a better player, even if you lose? Many of us enjoy the challenge of playing much stronger players, in the hope that we might one day manage a draw or, heaven forbid, a win!

Chess can be a game for life. Don't be too quick to give it up. Grab some books and have a read about it. Perhaps get some coaching if there's some on offer and the price is acceptable.

antichrist
28-05-2005, 05:31 PM
hi everyone, i'm new to the forums, so sorry if i've posted this in the wrong place. :(
anyways, i play chess, but i don't know if i should continue playing or not, because i'm probably not going to get anywhere, and i don't think im good enough to get anywhere. What should i do?

Only if is true that you can't get anywhere I do suggest giving up. I have seen players linger at the bottom for years and as far as I am concerned have no pride in themselves by continuely turning up and throwing away their money. Find something you are good or at least reasonable at.

But if you do get enjoyment out of playing well continue on, maybe not go in comps.

I have tried to teach adults and they can be pretty hopeless compared to youngsters. So it also depends on what side of the timeline are you on.

You could always take on the NSWCA presidency, we are after new blood.

EGOR
28-05-2005, 05:34 PM
I've played for years without being good enough to get anywhere. I keep playing because I enjoy the game. Do you enjoy the game?
PS. Definitely stop watching the OC :evil: :evil: :evil:

Garvinator
28-05-2005, 05:37 PM
and completely ignore a/c's advice. Better to watch the oc than listen to ac :P :rolleyes:

firegoat7
28-05-2005, 05:46 PM

Give up if your that sort of person, save you regretting it later.
but the question remains 'where did you think you were going'
Like the say in Monkey its not about reaching your destination its about the journey.
There are many talentless hacks who have done quite well at chess, maybe your already a step ahead of them.
Personally speaking how could you imagine life without 'chess'

Cheers Fg7

EGOR
28-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Only if is true that you can't get anywhere I do suggest giving up. I have seen players linger at the bottom for years and as far as I am concerned have no pride in themselves by continuely turning up and throwing away their money. Find something you are good or at least reasonable at.

But if you do get enjoyment out of playing well continue on, maybe not go in comps.

I have tried to teach adults and they can be pretty hopeless compared to youngsters. So it also depends on what side of the timeline are you on.

You could always take on the NSWCA presidency, we are after new blood.
Us players who linger at the bottom are the ones who provide the cash prizes for those at the top. I have pride in myself, I have pride in the fact that I keep trying, and that I enjoy it. There are plenty of worse things to throw your money away on then a chess tournament. It is not a waste of money if you enjoy it.

antichrist
28-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Us players who linger at the bottom are the ones who provide the cash prizes for those at the top. I have pride in myself, I have pride in the fact that I keep trying, and that I enjoy it. There are plenty of worse things to throw your money away on then a chess tournament. It is not a waste of money if you enjoy it.

Which is a bit like going to a working girl, failing to deliver, giving her your money but still enjoying the thrill. At least you can say that you have been there.

EGOR
28-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Which is a bit like going to a working girl, failing to deliver, giving her your money but still enjoying the thrill. At least you can say that you have been there.
Not at all, you miss the point.

antichrist
28-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Not at all, you miss the point.

I had already worked it out ages ago that it is like a pyramid, with the many at the bottom feeding the few at the top. And I don't mind it as I appreciate excellence in chess. I am against the central coast comp for that reason. There is a maximum rating of 2100 allowed.

EGOR
28-05-2005, 06:12 PM
I had already worked it out ages ago that it is like a pyramid, with the many at the bottom feeding the few at the top. And I don't mind it as I appreciate excellence in chess. I am against the central coast comp for that reason. There is a maximum rating of 2100 allowed.
Sometimes the bottom needs to be fed as well.

antichrist
28-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Sometimes the bottom needs to be fed as well.

As I see it we get the chance to tackle the big guys in the early rounds, and again later if we deserve it. I am satisfied with that. That is why also I think that entry fees should not be too high, because there is pyramid subsiding.

EGOR
28-05-2005, 09:07 PM
As I see it we get the chance to tackle the big guys in the early rounds, and again later if we deserve it. I am satisfied with that. That is why also I think that entry fees should not be too high, because there is pyramid subsiding.
Yes, it is nice to have a game against one of the "big guys", it's also nice to sometimes be in a tournament where you feel you have a real change asgainst everyone you play. Different styles and types of tournaments add to the value of the chess experience and, hopefully, attract more people.
I agree that fees need to be reasonable to keep people wanting to play.
PS. I'm thinking of running for NSWCA President, will you vote for me? :D :D

antichrist
29-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Yes, it is nice to have a game against one of the "big guys", it's also nice to sometimes be in a tournament where you feel you have a real change asgainst everyone you play. Different styles and types of tournaments add to the value of the chess experience and, hopefully, attract more people.
I agree that fees need to be reasonable to keep people wanting to play.
PS. I'm thinking of running for NSWCA President, will you vote for me? :D :D

If you are serious when having no idea who are you and what you stand for how could I. But I am sure that will come out in the wash. You should not be telegraphing your move. If you are a competant and keen person and in favour of a purchased chess centre I will be your campaign manager. Is that a suicide move?

Even if we rent the centre totally out for years so what, its value will go up hopefully and we will pay it off eventually. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - old Chinese saying.

And what is your opinion on well-behaved ordinary members being able to sit in on council meetings?

firegoat7
29-05-2005, 04:53 PM
If you are serious when having no idea who are you and what you stand for how could I.

Of course the counter to this arguement is 'you already know what you have got'-which as a reason in itself, would be a reason to vote for EGOR. ;)

You should not be telegraphing your move.
ahh, the machivallian style of politics.....possibly outdated...possibly not.

If you are a competant and keen person and in favour of a purchased chess centre I will be your campaign manager. Is that a suicide move?

Clearly not..well possibly so..but still worth a revolutionary punt. As AC has demonstrated consistently, he understands the principles of small business community. He recognises that community depends on people supporting the community. As such, coming from an ethnic minority, he understands that is possible to create your own space if you have a realistic vision. Any attempt to build institutional space for chessplayers ought to be supported, IMO.

Even if we rent the centre totally out for years so what, its value will go up hopefully and we will pay it off eventually. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - old Chinese saying.

Again simple wisdom, not difficult, not requiring hours of analysis. I mean honestly what is the worst that can happen? Although I must say, it is the people of Adelaide who should be thinking about a chess centre. For years they have been paying rent, when with a little bit of effort they could have been the landlords.

Cheers Fg7

EGOR
30-05-2005, 06:49 AM
If you are serious when having no idea who are you and what you stand for how could I. But I am sure that will come out in the wash. You should not be telegraphing your move.
I don't think that telegraphing my move is a problem.

If you are a competant and keen person and in favour of a purchased chess centre I will be your campaign manager. Is that a suicide move?
When I first heard the idea of a chess centre I was in favour of it. After thinking about it a bit I began to question the value to NSW Chess. Could I think of any real benifites in a chess centre? Yes, a really nice chess cafe, a chess library, chess training academy, a good muli-purpose tournament hall, all these and more would be good. My conclusion is that a chess centre is a good idea if it can be made into a place that chess players would want to spend time at & that would attract new people to the game. I'm in favour of a chess centre that is planned out well and useful, not just buying a building for the sake of owning a building.

I agree, if somehing is worth doing it's worth taking time to do it well, and to be patient for the desired result.

And what is your opinion on well-behaved ordinary members being able to sit in on council meetings?
I have no personal problem with it. I practical terms I'd be worried about someone only appearing to be well-behaved, and then twisting what they have heard to suit their own agenda. It could be openning a can of worms, but worms are good bait for fishing. :)

antichrist
30-05-2005, 10:17 AM
I have no personal problem with it. I practical terms I'd be worried about someone only appearing to be well-behaved, and then twisting what they have heard to suit their own agenda. It could be openning a can of worms, but worms are good bait for fishing. :)

As proper minutes are kept the official decisions cannot be challenged. Anyone causing unjustified trouble for council members can be simply expelled from the Association, that can go in the constitution as well. Members can expect to have protection from outright lies by council members whilst in council. A grievance sub-committee or ombudsman can be set up for such purpose.

But from what I see from current Council members they are a pretty reasonable lot but who knows in the future.

four four two
25-09-2005, 10:31 AM
This a test post