PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of Australian chess clubs

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2005, 12:21 AM
OK, the idea of this thread is as follows: when you're travelling interstate (or to parts of your state you would not normally visit), drop into the local chess club as visitor for a night, and put a review of it here so others can see what you thought of it. My idea here is to cut through some of the locally biased for-or-against rubbish about various chess clubs that you see here and try to give a few outside observations - while one post in this light doesn't mean much, hopefully in time it might build into more general impressions of what given clubs are like to visit and what they might be like to play at.

I'll start from my recent trip to Melbourne.

Box Hill Chess Club. Night visited: Tuesday.

I was glad I prepared to visit this club before my trip as the BHCC website, while generally excellent, does not include directions to the venue (which is actually quite easily reached from Box Hill train station). The venue is enormous, with two large and well-aired adjacent rooms each offering space for dozens of games at once. Tuesday is apparently a fairly quiet night for the club in terms of serious competition games at the moment. When I arrived some junior sessions were just finishing up in one room and tournament play was just getting going in the adjacent one. There was a person on the door to meet and greet those arriving. There was a bit of a queue at the desk so I was able to sneak in without attracting his attention but I had a good chat to him much later.

There were two tournaments in progress on the night. One was a FIDE rated event (most of the players in this were at the low end of the FIDE scale or unrated) and there was a large swiss below that. The large swiss had players from about 1800 strength down through some very low-rated adults and down to some extremely weak juniors (ratings in the few hundreds - I saw one in an already won position miss a knight fork immediately winning queen for nothing). I didn't hang around until all the games finished as I had an urgent appointment with inordinately cheap beer in the city; nevertheless, the general impression I got was that this would be an excellent club for an average club player and/or improving junior of any standard to find their own niche and level of seriousness.

Melbourne Chess Club. Night visited: Monday.

I once read claims on one of these BBs that you could find undesirables hanging around outside the front of the MCC. I was rather looking forward to this, but was sadly disappointed as there were not any in sight! The MCC had a major FIDE rated tournament at quite a slow time limit (I think it was something like 40/90 + 1' per move) going on on this night - I believe it's the most serious weekly comp there at this time of year. The tournament games were being played in a room out the back with casual games in a room at the front - there were also other facilities including a small TV lounge and a kitchen (which I didn't get around to exploring.) The room in which the tournament games were being played was a bit on the small side for the number of games and wasn't that well ventilated so it felt quite hot and stuffy in there - nevertheless there was a "this is serious chess here" atmosphere, even down to the framed Fischer/Spassky match caricature print on the wall. This room also seemed very quiet (apart from any noise created by me coming and going to watch a violent and fun-to-analyse struggle between Kara and Pyke.)

When I first arrived, no casual games were in progress out the front and one individual (who I wouldn't mind guessing is a regularly visiting non-member) was saying he was reluctant to use the boards lest he be slugged the $5 visitors fee. However I was soon able to play enough casual blitz games to run myself out of energy and start playing incredibly badly, without anyone hassling me for money at any stage (which I would have had no objection to paying anyway). The players present on the night were all strong players (c.1800 up to a few IMs) with no really young juniors about (a fairly even age spread from 15 to about 70) and I got the impression that this is a good club to go to if someone is wanting to play really serious chess in a fairly formal environment against consistently quality opposition.

Both the above clubs had bookstores.

Overall my impression as a visitor of both clubs was highly favourable.

jay_vee
25-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Great idea.

A few suggestions for improvement, though:
- approx. date of visit; things may change over time
- approx. number of people present
- a link to the website, for convenience
- pictures :)

firegoat7
25-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Overall my impression as a visitor of both clubs was highly favourable.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

At last an ACF official gets of his arse and visits the grassroots of chess in Victoria.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Furthermore, the account is honest and reflective without the usual scurilous political overtones associated with ACF opinion.
Regardless of whether KBs opinion was negative or positive, the key point is this, he actually visited grassroots chess playing space. Moreover, imagine how improved Australian chess communication would be if regular interaction with local officials, player and ACF elites occured.

Cheers Fg7

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I will add that I was visiting as a player and also as a club administrator with an eye for checking out how other clubs ran their premises and what sort of places they had. Plus I had a degree of BB-induced curiosity because of reading so much about both clubs here. I didn't consciously do it because of being an ACF official, but I agree with firegoat that ACF officials should get out and check out the scene at the grassroots. Without asserting that this isn't occuring, of course! :D

(I've also dropped in on the other Tassie clubs when in the relevant parts of the state and will look for chances to do this sort of thing elsewhere.)

antichrist
27-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Bob Keast, as president, was doing this in NSW until his marriage starting heading for Gilbralta (maybe my exageration), he swung the boat to portside and avoided being a Titanic

Bereaved
27-05-2005, 01:47 AM
Kevin, did you not see the bigger hall with the rest of the players playing? The whole point about not running the whole of the tournament in that room which would accomodate them all is the fact that the back room which only ever holds 6 boards is in effect the pit (of Ballarat) at Melbourne. The whole premise is to want to play games in there.

Pleased you liked the club and were interested in some of the games ( Nice to think the Mexicans hats still dance occasionally )

Macavity

And very accurate description of Box Hill too. Well Done!!

Rhubarb
27-05-2005, 02:18 AM
The thing I love about Melbourne Chess Club is that it has has an aura, as KB alluded to. An aura and a history of serious chess that no other venue in the country can match, in my experience. We were fortunate in last year's Australian Masters to have the main playing room for just 6 boards. This meant that we had huge white-tableclothed tables and an enormous amount of space between them. I know it's generally not possible to be spoilt like this, but it doesn't lower the appreciation level when it happens.

Plus I love Fitzroy (pity about all the Victorians).

ursogr8
01-06-2005, 09:06 PM
OK, the idea of this thread is as follows: when you're travelling interstate (or to parts of your state you would not normally visit), drop into the local chess club as visitor for a night, and put a review of it here so others can see what you thought of it. My idea here is to cut through some of the locally biased for-or-against rubbish about various chess clubs that you see here and try to give a few outside observations - while one post in this light doesn't mean much, hopefully in time it might build into more general impressions of what given clubs are like to visit and what they might be like to play at.

<snip>.

Great idea Kevin
If I ever recover my Ballarat piece from another place then I will post here.
starter

eclectic
01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
For years I had thought of joining the Melbourne Chess Club, a venerable institution which I think should have a seat on the ACF Council by virtue of its being the second oldest continuously running club in the world.

Alas, on the night I went to suss it out, there was no one home!!!

:whistle:

eclectic

Mischa
01-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey someone else had the same problem......

ursogr8
03-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Impressions of Day 2 of the tournament from starter:

The trip to Ballarat for the Begonia Festival chess tournament is now a joy of high speed free-way all the way. This replaces that pain of a section that wound its way through the hills near Bacchus Marsh after the fight to clear Melbourne suburbs.

I arrived as a visitor for Day 2 of the tournament and found that the outskirts of Ballarat had traffic works that made getting to the Main Street very similar to a knight's tour of all 64 squares. Ballarat itself is one of my favourite heritage spots in Australia, after Battery Point and Fremantle.

Games for round 3 were well underway as I entered the School Of Mines, the normal venue for the tourney. A lovely shaded courtyard had some Mums whiling away the time. Some of them are posters here [at the bulletin board. -Ed.]...noidea, klyall,...while Mrs Wang (Shuyu's mum) was proudly showing off a brand new bub.

The top 10 boards play in a part of the venue call the PIT; sort of like a half-basement with a viewing area for spectators above, on a mezzanine. It is remarkable how many better moves I can see for Solo and DJ when I peer over their shoulder from a distance of about 20 feet. Only players on the top 10 boards are allowed to walk around in the PIT; and they all seem to want to do that after nearly every move.
In round 3, Bas, (not Baz), is in the PIT, and immediately breaks off his game to have a gossip with me. They make you feel at home at Ballarat.

I wander to some other spots in the venue to see how the hoi polloi are proceeding. First person I run into is Fludy [David Flude. -Ed.] who tells me he has found a great 'back-roads' way to Ballarat, which avoids all the hills.
Fludy is one of 32 Box Hill members who make up the total field of 105 at this years Begonia tourney. Kevin Perrin tells me that overall this is a bit disappointing, down from 135 last year, but still allows the Club to break even.

Marieke van Dijk introduces me to folk who are just starting a new chess Club around the Olinda area. Will be called 'The RANGES', as in the Dandenong Ranges, and they hope to cover a wide catchment area. I give them Frosty's [from Croydon Chess. -Ed.] contact details and hope there is some geographical synergy.

Time for lunch with a couple of mates, and it is here that Ballarat's many high-quality pubs offer great meals. The only other place I know with such a high proportion of pubs is Bendigo, both obvious legacies of buoyant mining days.

The round 5 pairings pit Bourmistrov against Johansen on the first board, and not far away our own JGB [James Bonning. -Ed.] versus Hacche. I wander over to the cross-table to see how JGB earned his appearance in the PIT (of course sheer skill is an obvious reason) and noticed a ratings curiosity; I will leave JGB to explain when he returns here…it is a legitimate story he related to me.

There's that bloody Fludy harassing me again.
"Smoke", he says.
"Eh", I say......knowing full well neither of us smoke.
"I smell smoke", says Fludy.
"Well, I don't", I say

"Smoke", says another player (not known to me).

"Oops", I think......better investigate.

Very soon there is quite a crowd around the garden bed outside the PIT area. The brighter ones scatter to find bins, hoses and a tap. Looked like spontaneous combustion in the tan-bark, and it had quite a hold.
Most impressive dousing work by Kevin Perrin, SOLO, JGB, Chris Potter and a few others.

The fire is out and I gossip with David Hacche and Leonid Sandler; both with interesting stories to tell.
Hacche's game 2 went to midnight when his heart began to race; so it was off to hospital through emergency. Next morning, he took Sandler's advice…offered Chris Wallis a quick draw and had some additional snooze time. On the other hand, Leonid gave me a vernacular description of why he was attending, helping juniors, but not playing.

And that is just two rounds of action.

starter

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Kevin, did you not see the bigger hall with the rest of the players playing?

Actually on my first visit I had no idea it was there. So, for the record, the MCC field actually does go all the way down to hopping mammal level, but that's generally adult hopping mammals, and they're probably a lot stronger than the weakest of the Box Hill juniors.

Sorry I couldn't get out to Dandenong, had a dinner invite that night. Hopefully next time (if there is a next time). How did it go?

Bereaved
06-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Hi Kevin
the final standings are in the thread in tournament news,

Sometimes words aren't easy or enough, and so let the eyes that see, allow the mind to assess, and the opinion to form,

PS I lost.Nuff said?

thanks again, God Bless, Macavity

Spiny Norman
08-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I had the enjoyable task of visiting with Bendigo Chess Club last Wednesday evening ... this was a real treat for me, because I didn't have to do any organising and could just "play chess" for a change. My son Jared (12) came along for the visit also.

The venue was a little tricky to find. Fortunately I had access to the 'Net and found directions there, plus had my wife alongside to help me navigate (her family live not far from Bendigo and know it reasonably well).

Once on-site, I renewed acquaintances with Nigel Barrow and we exchanged gifts (alcoholic beverages) and pleasantries. I was a little early, and over the next half an hour about a dozen additional players wandered in and we started playing blitz games.

The one-night tourney was a 7-round 5-minute Bagi-Random event, invented (I believe) in Bendigo itself. A barrier is set up between the boards so that each player can see his half of the board but not his opponent's side. Each player then sets up a starting position ... one pawn per file, no pawns on the back rank, but otherwise its pretty much open slather. I decided early to go with a "solid" starting position based around the black side of a Queen's Indian Defence, whether playing White or Black and this stood me in fairly good stead through the evening.

In round #1 I was unfortunately paired with the World Champion of Bagi-Random Chess ... none other than Nigel himself ... and he promptly went to work, winning a pawn in the middle game and converting this to a victory fairly comfortably.

Round #2 brought me a win, but in round #3 I overlooked a check and lost my king ... but then won 4 games straight (including over the eventual winner by taking his king) and finished on 5/7 in a tie for 2nd-thru-4th just half a point behind the winner.

Lots of fun was had by all, including some incredibly rapid blitz play at the end of some of the games that saw pieces flying all over the place!

The Venue ... although a tad hard to find, it was very spacious, well lit, and above all it was WARM on a cold winter's night. Everyone was very welcoming to the imposters from Melbourne! I'll be sure to visit again next time I am in town for a holiday.

Funny Coincidence ... on the following day I ventured into Bendigo to buy some more books. As I was waiting at the counter clutching "The Scandinavian Defence", "How to beat the Petroff" and "An Attacking Repertoire For White" a voice behind me said:

"That's an interesting opening, the Scandinavian".

The voice turned out to belong to John Lavery, so we chatted for a while in the mall before I trotted off to find the 2nd hand bookshop that he told me about. Unfortunately John had already been there a few weeks before and cleaned out all the good chess books (!) and the pickings were slim.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2005, 04:03 PM
The one-night tourney was a 7-round 5-minute Bagi-Random event, invented (I believe) in Bendigo itself. A barrier is set up between the boards so that each player can see his half of the board but not his opponent's side. Each player then sets up a starting position ... one pawn per file, no pawns on the back rank, but otherwise its pretty much open slather. I decided early to go with a "solid" starting position based around the black side of a Queen's Indian Defence, whether playing White or Black and this stood me in fairly good stead through the evening.

I quite like the sounds of this variant though it would not surprise me if with optimum layout choices and best play by White the first move advantage was rather large indeed.

Spiny Norman
14-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I quite like the sounds of this variant though it would not surprise me if with optimum layout choices and best play by White the first move advantage was rather large indeed.

It was a lot of fun certainly! Might be worth asking EE whether he can dig out the results table and see whether White did get a larger than expected result ...

arosar
17-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Another One Bites The Dust?

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/

AR

WhiteElephant
17-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Another One Bites The Dust?

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/

AR

Just been reading The Closet Grandmaster. Very informative and professionally done. Great links, too. Nice one AR. :clap:

ursogr8
04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Last Wednesday I had the honor of being invited to be a high official at a Schools Teams Semi-Finals, held at the SUNSHINE school on the basalt and clay plains west of Melbourne.
Gazza invited me to be a REPORTER, a high honor indeed, which I shared with the GURU and Gazza. A reporter gets to sit at his own table and is approached by each captain of a school team who reports the scores in each round.

But, I get ahead of myself. You are no doubt interested how to make the journey from leafy Box Hill to windswept chilly SUNSHINE. The best route is through the city via Victoria Parade, onto Dynon Road, follow a couple of arterials, do 15 U-turns after consulting the Melways, and then get lucky to recognize Gazza’s car pulling into a car-park.

Gazza and his regular helper (hereinafter known as the FACTOR) are well-practiced setting up boards, sets, clocks, and display notices for about 100 players. I help where I can, but this is my first experience with the newer model of the DGT’s, so my clock-setting proceeds circumspectly. Sensibly, the GURU arrives just before the start of play. ;) He immediately unwraps a laptop and proceeds to boot-up the latest version of SP, which he proclaims is “just perfect for these Teams Events”. Only later do I learn that the Guru has plans to assist in marketing this SP version, and thus I have been watching a marketing spiel. :doh:

The School Principal arrives to make a nice welcoming speech, although what the students visiting from Scotch, Brighton Grammar, and Geelong Grammar, made of SUNSHINE’s facilities is anyone’s guess.

Two schools are no-shows and Gazza spends some urgent time on his brand-new composite PDA_mobile trying to make contact with the schools. The solution is to create a bye in the GURU’s division and my division, and games can start.
But first, a few announcements.
Gazza makes very clear instructions on what to do in the event of a query. And follows this with a stern but clear “….by-standers must not speak.”
Game-clocks are then started, and in the first 60 seconds I notice one of the teachers accompanying one of the private-school teams is advising his students on an issue. :rolleyes:

Rather quickly I find I have done my reporting duties on 4 rounds of 15-minute games. Time for lunch is advised by Gazza. I take the opportunity to stroll around the school. In the main foyer there 5 photos of famous ‘old boys’ of Sunshine school. (Note to the PC, ‘old boys’ is terminology that generically covers ‘old girls’, probably ;) ). One is Craig Parry, who has won events held at the golf course I frequent…so that takes my interest.

The second is Lester Ellis. Now, I have a personal anecdote involving Lester Ellis; about 9 years ago I was sitting at one of those outdoor chess tables in Cavill Avenue, in Surfer’s Paradise, as you do when you are waiting for a game.
L.E strolls up, complete with two minders, and sits down at my table. Three quick games later I decide his rating is about 700, but I am having thoughts that the minders might be minding me check-mating their boss about every 20 moves or so.
However, Lester is more inclined to keep asking, “…how do you do that?”
A couple of days later I am with my family in the transit lounge at Coolangatta airport. Lester, with his family, enters the lounge and quickly spies me. He reaches into his pocket and takes out a Purdy travelling set. The thought crosses my mind….”do I dare win these games too with a crowd watching”? :cool:

Back to the SUNSHINE library for the final 3 rounds of the tournament, followed by Gazza and the Principal conducting a nice closing ceremony and the presentation of medallions.
I have enjoyed my day as a REPORTER at the chess tournament. Not a game of transfer was observed for the whole day. Perfect.

starter

Rincewind
05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Last Wednesday I had the honor of being invited to be a high official at a Schools Teams Semi-Finals, held at the SUNSHINE school on the basalt and clay plains west of Melbourne.
Gazza invited me to be a REPORTER, a high honor indeed, which I shared with the GURU and Gazza. A reporter gets to sit at his own table and is approached by each captain of a school team who reports the scores in each round.

You were "high official" but the question is, were they the "official" (ie ACF endorsed) Schools Teams Semi-Finals?

Ian Rout
05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
He immediately unwraps a laptop and proceeds to boot-up the latest version of SP, which he proclaims is “just perfect for these Teams Events”. Only later do I learn that the Guru has plans to assist in marketing this SP version, and thus I have been watching a marketing spiel. :doh:

What is this new version of SP? I understood from other discussions that SP was not being updated (or is this a Black Label edition that falls outside the ACF group contract)?

arosar
05-09-2005, 03:05 PM
. . . or is this a Black Label edition that falls outside the ACF group contract?

Well, you'd hope so wouldn't you? I remember when Bill did the NSW Teams, using SP, as it is, was a long laborious process.

AR

kveldulv
05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
What is this new version of SP?
League Watch (http://www.leaguewatch.com) is the successor to Swiss Perfect.

Shaun

ursogr8
05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
You were "high official" but the question is, were they the "official" (ie ACF endorsed) Schools Teams Semi-Finals?

Baz

Would I have anthing to do with a dubious cause?
I can guarantee that they were
> financial
> recognised
> without zero-move draws
> untitled
> endorsed
> free of intermingling
> unaccelerated
> by the book
> scrutinised
> well-fought contests.

starter

Ian Rout
05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
League Watch (http://www.leaguewatch.com) is the successor to Swiss Perfect.

Shaun
Thanks, interesting. Anybody other than the vendor tried it out? [Maybe worth splitting to its own thread?]

ursogr8
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Ian

I think the GURU advised that a 1-month trial version can be down-loaded from the site.

starter

Rincewind
05-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Baz

Would I have anthing to do with a dubious cause?
I can guarantee that they were
> financial
> recognised
> without zero-move draws
> untitled
> endorsed
> free of intermingling
> unaccelerated
> by the book
> scrutinised
> well-fought contests.

starter

Dubious cause? Perhaps you could expound the intricacies of that point. I was just wondering if the winners of said competition qualify through to a national final or anything. I guess "untitled" answers that question, doesn't it?

ursogr8
05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Dubious cause? Perhaps you could expound the intricacies of that point. I was just wondering if the winners of said competition qualify through to a national final or anything. I guess "untitled" answers that question, doesn't it?

Baz

If you had said "I was just wondering if the winners of said competition qualify through to a national final or anything." in your first post, then I would have said yes.

starter

Rincewind
05-09-2005, 09:02 PM
If you had said "I was just wondering if the winners of said competition qualify through to a national final or anything." in your first post, then I would have said yes.

By that do you mean they will compete in competition against teams for most (if not all) states and territories?

PHAT
05-09-2005, 10:31 PM
I have enjoyed my day as a REPORTER at the chess tournament.

Will REPORTER file a 2005 NSW OPEN report? :disapp:

Mischa
05-09-2005, 10:37 PM
I think he means will they play for the national title
I don't think so
Not Chess Vic endorsed or Auschess endorsed.
No matter how well run they remain an income source for private chess enterprises

Bereaved
06-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Hi everyone,

I was asked by Gary Wastell to run the Sunshine Interschool, on Friday 26th August while I was playing at Box Hill in the Winter Interclub event there.

I am quite sure that the event in question was a qualifier for a later stage of the Secondary Interschool competition in Victoria, and in turn would lead on to National Events.

I have run this event perhaps 2 years ago on behalf of Chess Victoria, but had other committments on the day this time around.

I believe that the Guru is merely hired as a tournament director for this event and that it is not part of his commercial activities, rather him as a sole operator for this event, as the aforementioned tournament director,

Hope this clarifies the matter a bit

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

ursogr8
06-09-2005, 09:07 AM
By that do you mean they will compete in competition against teams for most (if not all) states and territories?

Baz

On the day, 24 teams entered (4+ players per team). A handful of those teams qualified through GURU events, but the majority through CV qualifiers.
At the end of the day the winners of the three divisions will be scheduled to play in a further State final (from memory, next week-end...but the date is on the slow-loading <on my dial-up> CV web-site).

So I guess the technical answer to your question is no, given that (at least) 2 out of 3 will be eliminated before facing other States (nb; I took they to be plural).

starter

ursogr8
06-09-2005, 09:12 AM
<snip>

I believe that the Guru is merely hired as a tournament director for this event and that it is not part of his commercial activities, rather him as a sole operator for this event, as the aforementioned tournament director,

Hope this clarifies the matter a bit

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

I don't think this ^^ is correct at all Mrs Holy.
The Tournament Director was Gary Wastell, not the GURU.

regards
starter

Rincewind
06-09-2005, 09:17 AM
On the day, 24 teams entered (4+ players per team). A handful of those teams qualified through GURU events, but the majority through CV qualifiers.
At the end of the day the winners of the three divisions will be scheduled to play in a further State final (from memory, next week-end...but the date is on the slow-loading <on my dial-up> CV web-site).

So I guess the technical answer to your question is no, given that (at least) 2 out of 3 will be eliminated before facing other States (nb; I took they to be plural).

No just wondering if the event feeds into THE State Finals and not A State Finals, and subsequently THE National Finals.

At the moment I am still not sure you have answered that question.

ursogr8
06-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Will REPORTER file a 2005 NSW OPEN report? :disapp:

After your wolf-pack treatment of Warney's transgressions on slimming tablets, dropped butts, and Bell-instrument sex, I am not inclined to respond.

But, I can't resist.
It is written....but I am just waiting for a/c to finish with the St G issue. Then I will publish.

starter

ursogr8
06-09-2005, 09:27 AM
No just wondering if the event feeds into THE State Finals and not A State Finals, and subsequently THE National Finals.

Just guessing (be b.....d if I am going to open that CV site to find out); I think THE not A.

ursogr8
07-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Baz

The AGE today had an article addressing your question; maybe can read here. (http://theage.com.au/articles/2005/09/06/1125772522521.html)
I have pasted in below also (starter) >

FOOTBALL finals fever has erupted, but a less physical play-off took place yesterday as students vied for a finals berth in the Victorian Interschool Chess Championships.
More than 6000 students and 500 schools are involved in this year's contest, which for the first time included a team with intellectual disabilities.

Among the chess group from Rosamond Special School in Maidstone were students with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and Asperger's syndrome.

Rosamond teacher and chess program co-ordinator, Klate McFarlane, said the students were excited and nervous about facing students from mainstream schools.

"One of the stereotypes that I'm trying to break down is that students with a disability are students with poor intelligence," he said. "It (chess) is seen as something that smart people are good at, and for them to be successful at it is a huge boost for their self-esteem."

Mr McFarlane said chess helped students who had difficulty concentrating to stay focused for longer, and develop skills such as creativity, strategy and communication.

Rosamond's Jake McCarthy, 13, was gracious after his first victory of the day, saying his opponent "had some good moves".

For Jordan Irwin, chess is a regular hobby with basketball and football. The 18-year-old Rosamond student says the game promotes "sportsmanship" and socialising.

Rosamond finished equal fourth out of seven teams in yesterday's Hobson's Bay zone qualifier, with Brighton Grammar and King Khalid Islamic College of Victoria progressing to October's state finals.

Johanna Banks of Siena College, which came seventh, played Rosamond students in her first two rounds, losing the first and winning the second.

"It's good for them to compete with other kids their own age in a fun competition," the year 7 student said.

"I was surprised at how good they were. They did put in a good effort."

ursogr8
17-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Venue = Victorian Bridge Association premises at 131 Poath Rd Murrumbeena, Victoria.

Summary

It is hard to imagine a better venue for a weekly chess club than the VBA premises at 131 Poath Rd Murrumbeena; Melway map 69 C6.

Available playing areas at the VBA premises.
1. The EAST room currently seats 62 bridge players but could easily have furniture to seat 120 chess players in conditions much superior to the recent 2005 NSW OPEN held at the Ryde-Eastwood Leagues Club.
2. The CENTRAL room could seat 60 chess players in spacious conditions.
3. The WEST room could seat 50 chess players in spacious conditions.
4. The entrance foyer could seat 30 players on tables suitable for analysis. This area also has couches and TV viewing. It is fully catered professionally.
5. Upstairs rooms are useful for say an interstate tele-play match.

Parking
1. On-site park owned by the VBA has at least 30 spaces.
2. Poath Rd has parking both sides after 7pm
3. Two local side-streets have restrictive parking, but all other side-streets are suitable for parking.

Furniture
This is permanently in place and is superior to furniture seen at any chess venue I have visited.

Transport
Hughesdale station is about 200 yards away. Hughesdale is on the Oakleigh-Dandenong line.
Parking for cars….see above.
Buses….needs investigation.

Shops nearby
Hughesdale is a typical ‘strip-shopping’ centre, unlike the major hub at Box Hill.
Chadstone shopping centre is 2km away from the VBA.

Schedules and clashes with VBA activities
1. The venue is basically not used on Friday evenings.
2. On Tuesday, the VBA uses two rooms, leaving one large room available for any tenant.
3. The venue is basically not used on Sundays and is available for hire.
4. The venue is only used by the VBA on 2 week-ends each year, and this probably allows chess to hold the VIC OPEN etc, provided that we avoid the ANZAC week-end.
5. I have a copy of their calendar.

Heating and air-conditioning
This is first class at the VBA premises.

Floor coverings
Fully carpeted except for the foyer area which has canteen serving facilities.

Lock-up storage
A nice room is offered for exclusive use by chess..

Proximity to volunteers places of residence.
(Detail deleted here)

Prices to rent rooms for sessions
There was a list price quoted to us but it is clear that regular, in contrast to casual, would be offered a special deal.

My personal comments
• (detail deleted here)

starter

Garvinator
17-09-2005, 06:50 PM
and is this new place mentioned here likely to become the new box hill chess club venue?

Mischa
17-09-2005, 07:10 PM
sounds perfect

Thunderspirit
17-09-2005, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=starter]Venue = Victorian Bridge Association premises at 131 Poath Rd Murrumbeena, Victoria.

Summary

It is hard to imagine a better venue for a weekly chess club than the VBA premises at 131 Poath Rd Murrumbeena; Melway map 69 C6.

Available playing areas at the VBA premises.
1. The EAST room currently seats 62 bridge players but could easily have furniture to seat 120 chess players in conditions much superior to the recent 2005 NSW OPEN held at the Ryde-Eastwood Leagues Club.
2. The CENTRAL room could seat 60 chess players in spacious conditions.
3. The WEST room could seat 50 chess players in spacious conditions.
4. The entrance foyer could seat 30 players on tables suitable for analysis. This area also has couches and TV viewing. It is fully catered professionally.
5. Upstairs rooms are useful for say an interstate tele-play match.

Parking
1. On-site park owned by the VBA has at least 30 spaces.
2. Poath Rd has parking both sides after 7pm
3. Two local side-streets have restrictive parking, but all other side-streets are suitable for parking.

Furniture
This is permanently in place and is superior to furniture seen at any chess venue I have visited.

Transport
Hughesdale station is about 200 yards away. Hughesdale is on the Oakleigh-Dandenong line.
Parking for cars….see above.
Buses….needs investigation.

Shops nearby
Hughesdale is a typical ‘strip-shopping’ centre, unlike the major hub at Box Hill.
Chadstone shopping centre is 2km away from the VBA.

Schedules and clashes with VBA activities
1. The venue is basically not used on Friday evenings.
2. On Tuesday, the VBA uses two rooms, leaving one large room available for any tenant.
3. The venue is basically not used on Sundays and is available for hire.
4. The venue is only used by the VBA on 2 week-ends each year, and this probably allows chess to hold the VIC OPEN etc, provided that we avoid the ANZAC week-end.
5. I have a copy of their calendar.

Heating and air-conditioning
This is first class at the VBA premises.

Floor coverings
Fully carpeted except for the foyer area which has canteen serving facilities.

Lock-up storage
A nice room is offered for exclusive use by chess..

Proximity to volunteers places of residence.
(Detail deleted here)

Prices to rent rooms for sessions
There was a list price quoted to us but it is clear that regular, in contrast to casual, would be offered a special deal.

My personal comments
• (detail deleted here)

Sounds good Trevor, all you need now is correct pairings and it will be perfect! ;) :P :owned: :doh:

ursogr8
17-09-2005, 08:18 PM
How do they do it.
How does the Victorian Bridge Association have such a wonderful venue while chess clubs can afford a lot less.

Good questions that gg'' and Lee did not ask.

But I will answer anyway. :uhoh:

The VBA charge about $25 for annual membership (Box Hill Chess Club $65/$50).

The VBA charge about $20-$25 to enter a three evening tournament. (BHCC about $20-$30 for a seven evening tournament).

The VBA charge a table fee of $10 for each session of play for each player. (BHCC charge NIL). For example, one of their weekly sessions seems to go close to filling the EAST, WEST and CENTRAL rooms....this is by my estimation about 130 players x $10 = $1300 for that session. There seems to be 3-4 large sessions each week, and some days have two sessions.

starter

four four two
17-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Those retirees have cash to burn ;)