PDA

View Full Version : Moderation Rules and Decisions

Pages : 1 [2]

Bill Gletsos
04-01-2011, 07:47 PM
User Judge Bishop has been banned as a hydra of a current user that was clearly signed up just to troll another user.

Kevin Bonham
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
antichrist was very explicitly warned both last year and in May this year not to post any discussion of religion or related matters outside the Religion and Science section without moderator approval in view of his track record of threadjacking arguments about religion onto other threads. It was made very clear he would be banned for two months if he continued doing it.

As he has breached this warning repeatedly he has been banned for two months, although I will consider reducing this ban to one month if he behaves himself in his postings elsewhere during this time.

^^^
Rinse and repeat. Persistent trolling of another poster who antichrist has been repeatedly warned not to troll also contributed to this latest ban.

Kevin Bonham
03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
^^^^

I don't think antichrist's behaviour elsewhere has been all that good in the past month so he should consider himself lucky to get away with the following: AC will shortly be unbanned from most of the board, but will remain banned from the Help and Feedback section for the full two-month period (longer if he complains). Further idiotic posting behaviour in that section when he returns to it may lead to indefinite or permanent exclusion from that section. While excluded from it he is not permitted to post comments about moderation outside his Off-Topic Bin thread.

As an alternative to full-site two-month minimum bans, antichrist may now in some cases just be blocked from particular parts of the forum. If any further part-site blocking of AC is imposed I intend to just log it by editing this post.

[EDIT 10-3. Excluded from Arbiters Corner for three months for posting stupid analogies about moderation in there.]

[EDIT 12-6. Excluded from Current Tournaments for a week for blatant threadjacking.]

[EDIT 30-7. Excluded from Arbiters Corner for a week for bumping threads older than he had permission to bump.]

Kevin Bonham
30-03-2011, 12:44 AM
The entire "player behaviour at MCC" split-thread has been moved offline for now for legal reasons which in turn trigger a consideration of fairness.

Various posters are reminded:

1. If making negative comments that may affect someone's reputation it is your responsibility to not only get all facts straight but to provide evidence that your account is correct.

2. If making negative comments that may affect a club's reputation (and by proxy that of those running the club) you have the same responsibility, and don't be too surprised if this results in negative comments about you in return.

3. Posters who believe that material about them on this forum defames them should first PM a moderator asking that the material be removed. No legal threats should be made against the site or other posters in the process, and a reference to intention to seek legal advice is considered to be a threat. (Note: no explicit legal threat was made against anyone specific in this case to my knowledge.)

I believe it should be noted for the record (in the interests of right of reply) that Erik T described a post on the thread criticising him as follows:

"the story [..], though true in some aspects, has been distorted and grossly exaggerated. He may feel upset about the incident, but dragging someone's name through the mud with misleading quarter-truths is not on."

Kevin Bonham
26-04-2011, 01:19 AM
antichrist shoutbox-banned for 24 days for trolling another user in the shoutbox having been persistently warned not to do so, and on top of other trolling behaviour in creating work for the mods by bumping a large number of old threads with mostly inane comments.

antichrist was clearly aware he was likely to be suspended for his shouts and said "now bar me 24 hours if you like". I decided I liked 24 days much much more.

If I have to ban him from the shoutbox for trolling that particular poster again then next time it will be 24 weeks. :lol:

Kevin Bonham
29-04-2011, 01:20 AM
I've given AC a rest, or us a rest from AC, for a week, as the volume of his silly babbling across multiple threads is just excessive.

Kevin Bonham
03-05-2011, 02:00 AM
A reminder that posters who wish to request moderation or thread-splits/merges should ideally do so either by PMing one or more of the admins/mods, or by posting their request in the Help and Feedback section rather than on the thread itself.

Moderation requests that are made on the thread that is the subject of requests will often (but not necessarily always) be deleted whether they are agreed to or not.

Kevin Bonham
02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Sigfiles

A few posters have recently shown that they do not understand the concept of a sigfile. A sigfile can be set by clicking on User CP then Edit Signature. It creates text that appears below every post a user makes. For many posters that text is chess-related or related to the forum but for some it is not.

The only current site rule concerning sigfiles is:

* Sig files that are excessively long, garish or otherwise detract from the primary purpose of the site, will lead to the member being requested to 'tone it down'. Failure to comply with such requests may also result in the sigfile being deleted.

If you wish to argue that a particular sig file breaches this rule the place to do so is via PM to a moderator or in the Help and Feedback section. Not on the thread where you have seen the sig file in question.

If you wish to argue that there should be further restrictions on sig files beyond these then the place to do so is via PM to a moderator or in the Help and Feedback section. Not on the thread where you have seen the sig file in question.

If you wish to comment on a sigfile without requesting moderation of it there is a thread for doing so here:

http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2796

I can fully appreciate that some posters find the increasing appearance of blatantly preachy religious/political sigfiles irritating or peculiar. But if you wish to express that view please do not trash threads by expressing it off-topic. Off-topic posts complaining about sigfiles by posters who have been here long enough to know what they are will be deleted.

Rincewind
10-08-2011, 12:17 PM
AC banned for two weeks for not being able to control himself from making off-topic comments across a number of threads.

Kevin Bonham
16-08-2011, 01:37 PM
On antichrist's return the following case management will be applied:

1. Zero tolerance (automatic two week ban or longer) for any of the following:

* any clearcut breach of site rules (including threadjacking and other blatantly off-topic posting)
* any mention (including implied) of religion on any thread outside the Religion and Science section, or any purely science-based thread in that section, without moderator permission
* any even mildly off-topic comment about moderation on a thread that is not about moderation (except for Off-Topic Bin)
* significant trolling of any poster who lacks the power to delete his rubbish for themselves (trolling of mods/admins may also result in banning)
* excessive complaining about moderation decisions (strict limit of three complaints in any seven-day period)
* triumphalism (boasting about imaginary victories in debates) [includes boasting posted elsewhere about victories in debates that include material posted here]
* breach of any directive issued to him
* excessively inane posting (ie worse than his normal abysmal standard)

2. Complete ban on dragging posts from one forum to the other in either direction, except with prior permission from the mods/admins on this site.

Both 1 and 2 will be reviewed and relaxed if he manages to go three months as an active member without getting himself banned.

Any bans applied to antichrist by me in this time will just be edited into this post.

Kevin Bonham
23-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Extra week off for antichrist for misleading ranting and whinging about CC moderation on the other forum, which he refused to substantiate when warned. This may be relaxed or cancelled at any time if he is willing to take a more reasonable evidence-based approach.

Bill Gletsos
24-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Antichrist banned for two weeks for linking to topics here over on the toolbox and trying to incite fights between the two forums.

Bill Gletsos
30-09-2011, 12:29 PM
AC offered a double or nothing bet over on the other forum in order to troll about personal lives.

Unfortunately due to him being totally clueless it was a bet doomed to failure.

As such Antichrists ban is extended by 2 weeks due to his loss of the bet.

Bill Gletsos
30-09-2011, 12:37 PM
An extra two weeks off for antichrist for misleading ranting and misinformation about CC moderation on the other forum.

Rincewind
13-11-2011, 10:35 AM
User: antichrist banned for seven days for trolling in the VIC AGM thread. Most other users would only have been warned but antichrist is a multiple repeat offender who shows little sign of improving.

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2011, 10:45 PM
A just-started thread has been moved offline for legal review as it appeared possibly defamatory. It may or may not be returned, and if it is this may be in edited form.

Kevin Bonham
25-12-2011, 08:00 PM
antichrist shoutbox-banned for 24 hours for trolling a poster about their username.

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2011, 04:44 PM
User sceptic banned, permanently unless decided otherwise, for condoning genocide. It was only one short and flippant post but if you want to espouse those sorts of views at all there are plenty of racist nutter sites better suited to your purposes than this one.

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2012, 11:53 PM
User deanhogg shoutbox-banned for one week for shouting on behalf of banned user Axiom. It is not clear whether this represented collusion with the banned user, copying of the banned user's extremely lame "jokes" or possibly even temporary operation of account by the banned user but in any case after various warnings it became more and more blatant.

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2012, 09:07 PM
firegoat7 (David Beaumont) now permanently rebanned pursuant to the standards set in this post (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=267791&postcount=237). I will not be lifting this ban for any reason.

ursogr8 (MOZ) (Trevor Stanning) indefinitely banned for blatantly inciting firegoat to misuse his newly re-acquired moderator status.

The ban on ursogr8 will be lifted when all unfair action against Chesschatters over there has been lifted or ceased.

[EDIT 11:25 5-1-12: All bans imposed yesterday appear to have been lifted or expired. MOZ unbanned.]

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2012, 11:53 PM
As firegoat has resumed his campaign of completely unjustified bannings of CC personnel, the ursogr8 account (aka MOZ) is rebanned as an inciting accessory to firegoat's behaviour.

Furthermore, since I can't be bothered unbanning ursogr8 only to reban him hours later if firegoat keeps banning someone for a day every day, MOZ will only be unbanned should 24 hours [EDIT: now increased to a week] have passed without an unjust ban or other restriction affecting any Chesschat member.

Further bannings and unbannings of ursogr8 under this policy will be logged by edit to this post.

This policy will be reconsidered if MOZ accepts responsibility for his behaviour and starts revoking firegoat's bans.

[EDIT 9 Jan: ursogr8 banned again and will stay banned until the Toolpox is clear of unjust firegoat bans on CCers for a week.]
[EDIT 18 Jan: ursogr8 unbanned, actually a day early because I miscounted!]
[EDIT on 7 Feb ursogr8 was banned for two weeks (my one week ban from there plus a week), forgot to log it at the time.]

Kevin Bonham
12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Account trappistnight moved to the Compromised Accounts usergroup (for more details of this usergroup see here (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=257346&postcount=222).)

It appears, based on evidence from at least six different sources including IP evidence, that this account has been operated by a banned user since 22 December 2011 or earlier. There is no further information as to how this came to be the case since the email the account was originally signed up under no longer works. If the account was hacked the original owner should contact site staff following the instructions in the post linked to above.

Kevin Bonham
23-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Moved NSWJCL thread offline as a post has been reported as apparently defamatory and I am about to be offline for a few hours. Will reexamine thread later tonight.

Rincewind
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
antichrist site banned for 2 months for blatant trolling in the Oceania Chess forums.

Kevin Bonham
31-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Two matters:

Firstly, there has been some dissatisfaction about a very small number of posters tending to make posts that just link to articles they've written at an external site in a way that does not allow what they are linking to be identified easily into the future.

To address this:

1. We strongly encourage users linking to content they have written on external sites to do so in a way that links permanently and directly to the content in question (eg if linking to a blog, the URL of the particular blog post). If the site they are linking to does not allow for this form of linking, we recommend that they use one that does. (Note: some people who are posting links to their blogs are already doing this.)

2. The following is a new site rule:

Any user posting a link to something they have written elsewhere grants permission for CC members to quote part or all of the relevant section of the material they are referring to, on this forum.

(This is mainly to stop linkers from getting silly about copyright).

------------------------------------------------

Secondly, on 3 March user DogLover PMd me stating that he was terminating his account and threatening to encourage the Australian Labor Party to take legal action against the forum and a member over posts that called a certain Prime Minister "Juliar".

This was easily the silliest legal threat in the forum's history (and that's against some very silly competition) but the site rules clearly ban the making of legal threats without first raising matters with the moderators. Furthermore a PM I sent asking that the threat be retracted has gone either unread or ignored.

I have moved DogLover to the Suspended Users group (until I hear from him otherwise) but the move includes a 1-month ban for threatening the forum.

Kevin Bonham
07-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Account Laserlite moved to the Compromised Accounts usergroup (for more details of this usergroup see here (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=257346&postcount=222).)

It appears, based on evidence from multiple sources including IP evidence, that this account has been operated by banned user Axiom since it resumed posting actively a few months ago.

At this stage we don't know whether the account was given away or hacked but we have emailed the account holder.

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Any user posting a link to something they have written elsewhere grants permission for CC members to quote part or all of the relevant section of the material they are referring to, on this forum.

The following is added to this rule:

A user wishing to link to something they have written elsewhere, where the portion relevant to the thread being posted to is short (eg less than twenty lines long), should quote the part relevant to the thread instead of just posting a link. The moderators reserve the right to delete links to, or quotes of, self-written material that is out of date and of no interest to the thread at the time of posting.

Kevin Bonham
20-07-2012, 08:44 PM
jammo excluded from Correspondence Games section for the rest of the day for off-topic whinging about moderation, after he was moderated for off-topic trolling. The least inappropriate thread for complaining about moderation is here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10724). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I have moved a split thread starting with a post entitled "You may be a Muslim if ..." offline for review by other moderators as I believe there is a prima facie case that the opening post of the thread is illegal under the anti-discrimination/vilification laws of at least one Australian state, namely my own (and very likely others.) I do not support the laws in question but the forum is nonetheless bound by them.

The post appears to me to incite severe ridicule of members of an entire religion in a manner that is clearly not protected by the defence of good faith.

Lest anyone think I have done this because the post attacked Muslims and would not do the same with a post attacking Christians, I should remind them that I've outright deleted or removed many posts (and even one 1000+ post thread), that were similarly problematic in their attacks upon Christians, Jews or non-Palestinian Israelis, in many cases without waiting for any complaint and not just because they were off-topic. In most such cases antichrist was the culprit. A thread by antichrist deemed to be tastelessly offensive to Catholics was also repeatedly deleted by another moderator.

In case there is some perception of bias on my part I advise that my removal of the thread is provisional only and that any other moderator may reinstate it.

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Warning

Posting lots of inane/pointless posts in order to reach postcount milestones is not permitted and may result in harsh postcount penalties or possibly even resetting to zero. :lol:

Kevin Bonham
23-01-2013, 01:13 PM
At least temporarily, I've removed the discussion of a last-round game from the 2013 Australian Open thread as I'm not comfortable with the tone of some of the accusations and can't rule out that some might be defamatory.

Drawing a line on something like this is not very easy but as a first attempt I'd say:

* It is OK to argue (provided it's a reasonable opinion based on the game, which it was in this case) that both sides are taking great risks in an objectively dead-drawn position to try to win, and that they are tacitly agreeing to do so. It is also OK to suggest that this happens because of prizemoney structures.

* It's OK to debate a personal view about whether or not this kind of playing is ethical, just as it is also OK to debate personal views about the ethics of "grandmaster draws", or taking draws in strong positions or against weak opponents to achieve tournament outcomes (etc).

* I think a line is crossed when words like "corruption" and "cheating" are used in connection with this sort of thing - at least in the absence of posted evidence that the chess community generally views or has viewed these things in this way.

Discussion of the game is not necessarily closed and the existing posts might be restored in edited form if some of the language involved is reconsidered.

Also, where posters are concerned that anything posted on the board may be defamatory they should raise these concerns directly with the moderators via PM.

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2013, 08:58 PM
antichrist has been reminded of the restrictions placed on him during a previous stay (see here (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=316937&postcount=260)) and has additionally now been permanently banned from posting links to his own threads in the shoutbox.

Kevin Bonham
07-04-2013, 10:04 PM
I've just banned a newly signed-up account.

The account had a name identical to that of the owner of an Australian games shop but the messages posted on behalf of it claimed that the user had only just got into chess and had only just purchased a product from that store.

There are two possibilities:

1. The account holder is not connected with the games shop in question and hence is impersonating an Australian chess personality.

2. The account holder is connected with the games shop in question and is pretending to be a random customer for advertising purposes.

In either case the posts breach CC rules against accounts that misrepresent the nature of the person operating them.

In the event that the posts were intended as advertising I will unban the poster if they agree to in future ensure all information in their posts is honest and accurate and that advertising-style posts are kept to a minimum. [Update: the poster did agree and was unbanned.]

Kevin Bonham
13-04-2013, 12:33 PM
New site rule added:

* The use of temporary, disposable or password-unprotected email addresses to sign up is strongly discouraged. Apparently genuine registrants from such addresses will be emailed and asked to provide a permanent email address instead. No response after 24 hours will lead to the original account being banned. All such email address domains that we discover will be added to our blocked domain list.

Note that if someone is obviously abusing this rule by signing up loads of hydras from disposable email addresses, we won't email them, we'll just ban them immediately under existing rules.

Kevin Bonham
02-05-2013, 12:44 AM
The infamous "For the record ..." thread has been taken to the panelbeaters following a complaint. Although the request made in the complaint was pretty minor it may take us a little while to sort through the issues raised and decide on the most appropriate response. There's a view that the whole thing should be deleted but I'd probably have a mild COI in acquiescing to that. :lol:

Kevin Bonham
05-05-2013, 11:52 AM
"Sexuality and lifespan" split thread moved to Coffee Lounge as a result of a combination of adult themes and too many posts that are getting a bit iffy in terms of state anti-vilification laws. Apologies to Damodevo; you can pick up where you left off in another 311 posts; would be nice if at least one of those had something actually to do with chess.

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2013, 11:37 PM
moremover is suspended for posting false complaints about this site's moderation on another site. The suspension will be removed when the false complaints are taken down.

If moremover complies with this requirement and returns he is also warned against all the following:

1. Repeatedly posting the same thing just because no-one has answered the first time.
2. Threadjacking by posting puzzle information on threads unrelated to chess.
3. Posting complaints about the moderation of this site outside the Help and Feedback section.

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Following a different complaint (albeit one largely relating to the thread being unintentionally and unfortunately given "Important" status) I've now moved "For the record ..." offline again and unless another moderator wants to bring it back it will be staying there for good.

Kevin Bonham
12-06-2013, 02:52 AM
phild707 unbanned.

Conflict with me was the major driver of the situations in which he would get himself banned in the first place and that conflict now appears to be well in the past.

This shouldn't be expected to set a precedent for cancelling any of the other well-known permanent bans.

Kevin Bonham
26-06-2013, 10:36 PM
I don't know why this has to be spelled out again but some people are remarkably thick and obstinate when it suits them:

If there is a moderation decision and you do not agree with it, you are not to debate the moderation decision on the thread where it occurred. Such debate will be deleted. The place for debating moderation decisions is the Help and Feedback section. Ideally posts should be made to the moderation thread here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10724

but in rare cases it may be appropriate to start a new thread in the Help and Feedback section.

It is also a good idea to read the moderation decision you are objecting to slowly and carefully, to save me the time of pointing out that you are making a fool of yourself.

Kevin Bonham
27-06-2013, 11:19 AM
A thread started by antichrist to discuss the other forum has been deleted because despite being warned to behave himself, AC posted a comment attacking the moderation of this forum on the thread instead of posting his complaints about moderation in the appropriate place.

The thread will not be restored and AC is banned from posting any comment about the other forum on this forum whatsoever, including in the shoutbox, for a week.

Kevin Bonham
27-06-2013, 05:33 PM
antichrist is permanently banned from referring to any same-sex marriage, gay/lesbian, transgender or similar issue in this or any future shoutbox, or from discussing this ban in the shoutbox, except with prior moderator permission. Any violation will result in a minimum one-month shoutbox ban.

Kevin Bonham
27-06-2013, 05:41 PM
antichrist is also permanently banned from starting new threads relating to the following: Jews, Israel, Palestine, Nazi Germany, without moderator permission - which will typically be refused.

Kevin Bonham
29-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Oepty moved to Suspended Users group for three days after breaching a moderation directive to stop creating new threads that duplicated existing discussion.

Although this has the same effect as a ban I believe it resulted from the poster being in an upset mental state and do not want it thought of as equivalent to the bans for deliberate misbehaviour we have imposed here before.

I hope Oepty will seek appropriate treatment for his issues. This board is not a therapy ward.

Kevin Bonham
30-06-2013, 02:34 PM
As Oepty continues to say that he will breach moderation directives when he returns, his move to the Suspended Users group is now indefinite. He will be restored to normal posting rights when we are satisfied that his current problems are over and that he is again interested in chess or at least in posting within the forum rules. Once again this is not a punishment, but an attempt to manage a mental health situation by (i) ensuring that he does not create unnecessary workload for others (ii) limiting the amount of material he posts that will otherwise cause him severe embarrassment later.

[9 July: Oepty unsuspended as he has agreed to obey the forum rules. ]

[12 August: Oepty resuspended as he has breached forum rules against making false and misleading comments about site moderation on other forums.]

[13 September: Oepty unsuspended as he has retracted the claims that breached the forum rules.]

Kevin Bonham
02-07-2013, 01:51 PM
antichrist is permanently banned from referring to any same-sex marriage, gay/lesbian, transgender or similar issue in this or any future shoutbox, or from discussing this ban in the shoutbox, except with prior moderator permission. Any violation will result in a minimum one-month shoutbox ban.

antichrist violated this ban and is banned from the shoutbox for a month.

Kevin Bonham
07-07-2013, 09:18 PM
antichrist blocked from Politics section for a week or until I remember to unblock him, whichever is longer, for continuing to post unnecessary religious analogies in it.

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2013, 11:42 AM
antichrist blocked from Politics section for a week or until I remember to unblock him, whichever is longer, for continuing to post unnecessary religious analogies in it.

This ban includes quoting from the Politics section to other parts of the board or posting off-topic political comments on other parts of the board.

Kevin Bonham
24-07-2013, 02:02 PM
antichrist's moderation comments quota is reduced to one per week, each week defined as Monday to Sunday, until the end of August. If he attempts to negotiate this in any way the quota for this period will become zero.

Kevin Bonham
01-08-2013, 03:19 PM
antichrist's moderation comments quota is reduced to one per week, each week defined as Monday to Sunday, until the end of August. If he attempts to negotiate this in any way the quota for this period will become zero.

After making one complaint today antichrist was advised that his quota was used up for the week even though the matter he complained about had actually been resolved around the time he posted.

He responded by making an implied complaint about the ruling by way of a now-deleted analogy on the Tennis thread, despite being clearly told not to comment on it.

As a result antichrist is banned from making any comment about the moderation of this site whatsoever, including by analogy or implication, for the entire month of August. Any such comments will at minimum be deleted and will probably lead to exclusion from sections of the board or banning.

Kevin Bonham
14-09-2013, 04:16 PM
On another thread I directed antichrist to cease complaining about moderation until the end of the month.

He is also directed to cease commenting about moderation (including by implying another poster has breached the rules) until the end of the month.

Kevin Bonham
15-09-2013, 08:48 PM
antichrist is banned from the Politics section for two months for posting an off-topic stupid comment about chess arbiters in it.

This ban includes posting material appropriate for the Politics section in other parts of the forum including the Coffee Lounge.

The ban is not negotiable and any attempt to negotiate concerning it will result in it being doubled.

Kevin Bonham
20-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Premium users who can see deletion notices are banned from publicly discussing their contents.

Penalties for violation of this rule may include immediate and permanent loss of premium member services (without refund) and banning for an extensive period.

Kevin Bonham
24-12-2013, 04:57 PM
User chessmc permanently banned and all posts deleted for using white text to post covert spam messages at the end of posts.

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2014, 09:54 PM
antichrist banned from the shoutbox for a month for shouting on behalf of a permanently banned member; if he tries to negotiate this ban it will be doubled.

While it was just a single shout, AC has been persistently attempting to start or fuel cross-forum conflict in recent weeks on both forums and has had a few warnings to stop it.

[update: ban suspended, subject to some conditions]

Kevin Bonham
08-01-2014, 11:30 AM
antichrist is also placed on zero tolerance for referring to a certain other forum, or anything posted there, on this forum, for the whole of 2014. Any instance of him doing so will result in a two-month full site ban.

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2014, 10:25 AM
antichrist is also placed on zero tolerance for referring to a certain other forum, or anything posted there, on this forum, for the whole of 2014. Any instance of him doing so will result in a two-month full site ban.

antichrist breached this condition despite being PMd it, and posted on behalf of a banned poster again.

antichrist is therefore banned for two months.

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2014, 11:18 AM
* Unnecessary thread proliferation (eg deliberately creating a new thread that duplicates existing discussion or starting multiple copies of the same thread) is not permitted. However, starting new threads to explore side-issues that are not relevant to the original subject is strongly encouraged.

For absolute clarity I have added the bit in bold as we are getting too many cases of new posters posting multiple copies of the same thread. Where people are advertising a product or link they will get at most one warning under this rule with a second offence (prior to them being an established and interacting member of the forum) resulting in a permanent ban.

Kevin Bonham
12-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Inactive user ursogr8 is permanently banned for using the hydra "PsyOp sleeper" to engage in, or be complicit with, moderation activities detrimental to CC users on another forum despite having previously made undertakings he would not be moderating. (These activities consisted of dragging shouts to threads, which disrupted shoutbox conversations.) It is also noted that ursogr8 repeatedly breached CC rules by engaging in false criticism of CC moderation on another forum, despite numerous warnings.

In this case, a parole period is set based on the length of time the offending activity occurred over. Therefore ursogr8 will be eligible for parole from this ban on October 13 2017.

[Update 1 July: Because of this user's further actions against CC users on another forum, which involved punishing them for expressing their opinion and trying to remove their legitimate votes from a poll, I upgrade this ban to permanent without parole. I will now not be unbanning ursogr8 for any reason. Other moderators are welcome to take a different view if they wish.]

Kevin Bonham
11-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Gnostic Bishop banned for a week for mentioning Hitler on a religious thread in spite of a previous and recent moderation directive to not mention subjects associated with the Nazis.

I have made the ban only for a week rather than permanently as previously intended as there has been greater interest in debating GB postings lately compared to before.

However I'm not willing to have religion threads continually rendered stupid by gratuitous Nazi/Hitler references and anyone who has posted as widely as GB has must know that this sort of thing is widely considered inappropriate.

Kevin Bonham
27-10-2014, 12:40 PM
For wasting moderator time three times in one day, antichrist is completely banned from any discussion of same-sex, transgender or related issues (including HIV) anywhere on this forum for a month. Any violation will result in a full-site ban of duration to be determined.

Furthermore antichrist is banned from wasting my time further by discussing this decision ever.

Kevin Bonham
05-12-2014, 10:15 AM
The "congratulations" in-joke between Adamski and Michael Baron is getting out of hand and I will from now on delete whatever instances of it I feel like deleting, especially those instances posted on tournaments outside either's home province, and extra-especially those that contain numerous misspellings.

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2014, 10:55 PM
antichrist is excluded from the Australian Chess section for one month or until I remember to readmit him, whichever is later, for blatantly dragging material posted by a banned poster on another forum to this forum.

If any attempt is made to negotiate or complain about this ban it will be doubled.

Repeats of this behaviour may lead to a lengthy full-site ban.

Furthermore antichrist is banned from publicly referring to the matter in question on this forum at all until further notice.

Kevin Bonham
26-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Some posts from the Vic Blitz thread have been taken offline at least for now.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2015, 09:52 PM
I did throw antichrist out of the Coffee Lounge because of a post earlier today, but I've reversed that as the post was not clearly a complaint about moderation.

All the same:

* The Bali drugs thread will remain deleted on account of a stupid analogy being posted about the thread to another thread.

* antichrist is strictly barred from making any comment that is even arguably about moderation in any way on any thread outside the Help and Feedback section. Any breach of this restriction is likely to result in a full-site ban of at least a month and this restriction is permanent.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2015, 10:22 PM
The account "Publicist" has been moved to the Compromised User group as evidence has been found, not for the first time, of apparent operation by a banned user.

If the owner of the account is not a banned user then they should contact site staff stating their full real name and guaranteeing that they will not allow any banned user to operate the account or know the password. Until this is done the account is suspended.

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2015, 06:37 PM
antichrist has been warned before and not so long ago (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?9728-Gotta-Put-somewhere&p=386158&viewfull=1#post386158) that he is not to comment about people who have recently died unless he knew them personally, as his comments are almost always insensitive.

As a result of antichrist breaching this ban he is excluded from the Australian Chess section for a year. Any comment that attempts to circumvent this exclusion will be deleted and may result in other exclusions or a full-site ban. This ban may not be negotiated and any attempt to complain about it will result in it doubling. Parole will be considered after six months if he has not been moderated for insensitivity anywhere on the forum in that time.

Kevin Bonham
03-07-2015, 10:01 AM
I have deleted a thread containing one post about the matter of a NSW chess tutor who has been charged with indecent assault of a child.

The post was not deleted for asking about the name of the tutor, which is already a matter of public knowledge (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/north-sydney-chess-tutor-miro-nowak-pleads-not-guilty-to-indecently-assaulting-pupil-20150606-ghh91y.html).

The post was deleted for assuming the charged person to be without doubt guilty, when he has not yet had his day in court and is entitled to the presumption of innocence until such a finding has been made. This is a matter of very basic justice, but is also necessary to protect the site from potential defamation actions if the defendant is innocent. If he is found guilty then such comments may be made then.

Kevin Bonham
19-07-2015, 03:05 PM
I have a number of suspicions about the "Johns" account based on its posting style, its combination of apparently deliberate misspellings with sometimes scientific-sounding arguments, its choice of common opponents, and so on. Specifically, I can't rule out that Johns could be Matthew Sweeney, who is permanently banned. Sweeney has often disguised his posting style when using hydras in the past.

Four days ago I emailed Johns asking him to state his real name, and I have received no reply. Johns is now suspended until he advises his real identity and I am satisfied that this information is correct, or am otherwise convinced that Johns is not Sweeney. Failing a reply the account is banned permanently. As the forum rules state " We will frequently ban anonymous accounts that are suspected of being operated by banned users [..]"

Kevin Bonham
31-07-2015, 08:24 AM
I deleted a post from a thread about correspondence chess because the post was obviously defamatory.

Kevin Bonham
07-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Account deanhogg banned to the Compromised Users group.

It's been apparent in the past sometimes that Dean was posting on Axiom's behalf and in cases that Axiom may have been using his account.

Recently the behaviour of the deanhogg account has been extremely suspicious and site data has confirmed that it is being operated by Axiom.

The account deanhogg is now permanently banned.

I believe this situation is quite likely a result of a consensual transfer of the account by Dean to Axiom and will take a lot of convincing to allow Dean to start posting again from a new account in view of that.

Kevin Bonham
23-11-2015, 04:26 PM
I have culled all shouts from the last two days and a few earlier ones because of an excess of culture-war flaming (Nazis, Hitler, Jews, derogatory terms about the gay community, and related insults and rubbish from various political perspectives.)

Kevin Bonham
08-12-2015, 09:06 PM
Account signed up in name of Edward McClain banned for off-topic link-spamming for the Millionaire Chess website in its opening post.

I don't guarantee this account was genuine (rather than someone trying to make MC look bad by spamming for them) but I don't have any concrete evidence it is fake. The same email address appears on apparently genuine MC announcements with about the same dubious relationship to the English language as the deleted post.

Kevin Bonham
12-12-2015, 09:56 AM
User olantirn <gildyshows@gmail.com> is permanently banned from Chesschat for threatening the site with legal action without contacting the moderators first and for personally threatening the site staff of Chesschat in an unspecified and open-ended manner. A threat emailed to me was as follows:

"U BETTER TAKE [abuse removed] KOHSER'S THREAD OR YOU WILL NOT HAVE HAPPY LIFE..."

There have since been further more serious - if comically ungrammatical - threats. I do not normally post the email addresses of users but in the case of threateners I will. Especially homophobic threateners.

A hydra account of the same person "Fred Johnson" <fredcoldstone@gmail.com> has also been banned. The following are other email addresses that this person has used to abuse and threaten CC staff and spam Australian chess authorities (list will be updated as required and when I can be bothered):

"F.C.Classics" <generalf55@gmail.com>, "John Lary - OTR Shows" <gildyshows@gmail.com>, "John Lary" <John Lary <janlarysrockystatue@gmail.com>, "Michael Harris" <mikeharriswdca@gmail.com>, "Jan Lubek" <janlubekhere@gmail.com>, "Vesna (Vanessa) I" <macamalena2@gmail.com>, "lupco4ride44" <lupco4ride44@gmail.com>, "Marko I" <dairymarko@gmail.com>, "Sara Reinholtz" <sarareinholtz@gmail.com>, "Gogi George Reeves" <gogigeorgereeves@gmail.com>, "CBM IBM" <cbmibm@gmail.com>

This is clearly one person posting under multiple names (although he claims Lubek and Steriev are different people), and may be a result of a multiple personality disorder. Whether this person really has any of these names is unknown to us.

The initial threat arose from a response olantirn posted to some comments posted by thekohser about internet pest behaviour by this person. olantirn's response defamed a person who was not a party to his dispute with thekohser by implying they had behaved improperly in a correspondence tournament. No evidence was provided for this accusation and another moderator responded by removing olantirn's reply and locking the thread. olantirn then tried to take the matter up on a completely irrelevant thread, and when the off-topic posts there were deleted, responded by threatening the site and us personally.

As a result of this not only is olantirn permanently banned, but any new poster who attempts to discuss the Lubek/Steriev matter or who is suspected of being olantirn will also be immediately permanently banned.

Kevin Bonham
21-12-2015, 11:50 PM
antichrist banned indefinitely for inciting cross-forum fights by posting idiotic insults about yours truly on the other forum, which I saw because somebody else quoted them.

I strongly suspect AC has been behaving like this for some time, only I have not seen him do this because I have had his ghastly gibberish on ignore.

Kevin Bonham
23-12-2015, 07:02 PM
antichrist having apologised and agreed not to do anything so stupid of such form again, the ban is lifted.

Kevin Bonham
22-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Ragnar banned and some posts and replies removed. Hydra of banned user Axiom based on use of junk IPs, obvious concern-trolling and sealioning to avoid answering questions in the Toolbox-Detox thread, and certain other correspondences.

We thought there was a high chance Ragnar was a banned user from the start but there was one initial contra-indication to it being Axiom so we decided to wait for clearer evidence regarding which banned user it was so as to even more accurately identify and block these losers in the future.

Kevin Bonham
01-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Because of work commitments over the next few weeks, if anyone has any minor moderation requests (title or content edits, thread splits etc) and wants quick action on them they might be best off contacting one of the other moderators. I aim to still be online sometime each evening but don't guarantee to succeed.

Rincewind
01-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Because of work commitments over the next few weeks, if anyone has any minor moderation requests (title or content edits, thread splits etc) and wants quick action on them they might be best off contacting one of the other moderators. I aim to still be online sometime each evening but don't guarantee to succeed.

Also note that I will be interstate between February 7 and 11 and so will only be checking in occasionally as well.

Kevin Bonham
12-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Merged three threads dealing with the Candidates and made merged thread a sticky thread.

Kevin Bonham
24-02-2016, 12:37 AM
Deleted four posts of Baron/jammo spelling stuff from a chess thread. Will also be deleting posts that invite people to continue spelling-related injokes on chess threads whenever I feel like it without warning or necessarily logging the deletions.

If posters want to engage in silly spelling-related comments all the time then start a new thread in the non-chess section and copy posts you want to make fun of there. No problem with one-post spelling corrections but less silly banter on chess threads please. Ta.

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2016, 10:52 AM
User zarkoth banned and post and replies removed. zarkoth engaged in what is known to me as "street team" spamming in which the poster pretends to have found the product they are advertising and to be a genuine poster asking for advice about it.

Kevin Bonham
07-06-2016, 12:46 PM
For the time being I've deleted an extreme and in my view insensitive post from the Muhammad Ali thread and replies to it. I was thinking of at least splitting it when another moderator suggested it should probably be moderated.

We are of course happy for there to be general discussion for or against boxing on the site at any time but stomping on the grave of a person loved by many - in large part for reasons other than boxing - in the process of making a general point is only likely to derail a thread and cause annoyance.

Kevin Bonham
21-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Merkury banned for unsolicited commercial posting. It was fun while it lasted.

Kevin Bonham
27-10-2016, 04:09 PM
We will frequently ban anonymous accounts that are suspected of being operated by banned users, any account that misrepresents the nature of the person operating it (eg adult posters pretending to be juniors) and any account employing a proxy IP.

I emailed the account Rahane_S because I believe that account may be being operated by a banned user. No response in five days so account suspended at least until there is an adequate response. If no response within a week I intend to permanently ban the account.

[Updates: 1 - Rahane_S permanently banned
2 -Users Mordechai and normanghaskell have been proven to be hydras of Rahane_S and also banned. I am treating all three as clearly hydras of banned user Axiom.]

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2016, 07:22 PM
I've just merged the ridiculous number of Graeme Anthony set threads on this site, and made it a sticky in General Chess.

Bill Gletsos
31-12-2016, 11:03 PM
Members are reminded they are not permitted to quote postings of banned posters without any critical comment as per the following.

* While a poster is banned from chesschat it is not permitted to post on their behalf in any way, or to post links to anything they have written while banned. Quoting of banned posters is permitted only if (i) the material quoted was written before the poster's current ban commenced (onus is on the quoter to demonstrate this) or (ii) the quoting is clearly for the purposes of critical discussion (not necessarily negative) rather than deliberately helping the banned poster to circumvent their ban by having their comments appear here.

Any post consisting largely of quoting of material by one or more banned posters with little or no original comment added will breach this rule, as will any post that quotes a banned user without discussing the comments quoted in relation to points being discussed on the thread. In any case all material quoted must be clearly within the site rules. If in doubt about this rule, please check your intended post with a moderator before posting it.

The following toolbox posters are on a permanent ban:

Alex Tool-sie - Just2Good
Trevor Stanning - Moz, Sobriquet and other hydras
David Beaumont - Firegoat7
?????? - Axiom and his numerous hydras

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2017, 09:33 PM
This one is a moderation indecision. I am trying to keep up with the rapid thread drifting on some of the issues threads at the moment, some of it caused by me, but "working migrants" (itself a split thread) is a daunting assignment in this regard.

If anyone reckons the thread should be split please PM me a suggested post to split it from and a suggested title or broad subject area and I'll consider such requests favourably.

Otherwise I'm inclined to accept that the thread is hopelessly off-topic and just let it go, at least until a really clear dividing line emerges.

Rincewind
06-06-2017, 10:22 AM
User Basil banned for seven days for offensive language in the shoutbox.

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Cardinal Pell thread taken offline

Out of an abundance of caution I have moved the Cardinal Pell thread offline temporarily for legal review. Some posts appear to me to be potentially sub judice in that they are prejudging the guilt or innocence of the accused. This is potentially illegal under Australian law although Chesschat being a relatively low profile forum would probably mean that the risks of prosecution of a poster or the forum were extremely low.

When we have considered the issue carefully I expect the thread will be restored, but it may be that part or all of it will be restored in the Coffee Lounge only rather than to the main board.

I recommend anyone considering public comment on the Pell matter now that Pell has been charged:

1. read the advice sheet here:

http://www.vgso.vic.gov.au/content/managing-risk-sub-judice-contempt#whatis

2. remember that just because something has been published elsewhere doesn't mean it isn't sub judice or that it can be safely reproduced.

I hope to have completed reviewing the thread within 2 days.

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2017, 04:57 PM
About half the posts involved have been restored to a general discussion thread relating to sex abuse by the clergy and allegations of such abuse (including false allegations). Please try to keep that thread in general Pell-free.

The remainder are still under review.

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2017, 12:38 AM
For the duration of the current plebiscite proposal, the "strictly on topic" nature of the same-sex marriage thread is suspended.

Posters may use the thread to discuss anything they consider relevant to the plebiscite, subject to the usual legal requirement that material posted must be legal in every Australian state and territory (this includes copyright law). Natural thread drift is also permitted, though prolonged streams of entirely off-topic posts may be moved.

If posters want to post material about same-sex issues other than marriage and don't specifically wish to connect it to the plebiscite debate, they should keep using the other same-sex issues thread.

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?14837-Miscellaneous-same-sex-issues-thread-No-SSM-posts-here-please

Kevin Bonham
21-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Ten years ago I promised to never again edit a user sigfile unless it breached the site rules. I have just edited a sigfile that was in breach of the following rule:

* Failing to follow a directive from an admin or moderator may result in immediate action being taken against the poster. If you disagree with any decision or directive from the admins or moderators, take it up by PM with the admin or moderator concerned, in the moderation discussion thread or by starting a new thread in the non-chess or Help and Feedback sections. If still not satisfied you may contact the site owner.

and arguably also in breach of:

Action may also be taken against members who encourage other members to break site rules or breach moderation directives, no matter where or how the encouragement occurs.

Use of sigfiles to complain about moderation isn't allowed and may result in obsequious, hand-wringing lefty bans, but anyone with a moderation complaint is welcome to take it up in the ways specified above.

Kevin Bonham
04-03-2018, 10:04 PM
antichrist is banned for a week for posting a racist, albeit jokey, comment. If there is any attempt to negotiate this ban it will be changed to a month.

antichrist is also banned from the Welfare Spending thread where the comment occurred for one year.

All replies stemming from the comment have been moved offline until I have time to sift through them and decide whether anything in the discussion merits saving. The timeline for this process is: indefinite.

skip to my lou
23-04-2018, 09:25 AM
User olantirn <gildyshows@gmail.com> is permanently banned from Chesschat for threatening the site with legal action without contacting the moderators first and for personally threatening the site staff of Chesschat in an unspecified and open-ended manner. A threat emailed to me was as follows:

"U BETTER TAKE [abuse removed] KOHSER'S THREAD OR YOU WILL NOT HAVE HAPPY LIFE..."

There have since been further more serious - if comically ungrammatical - threats. I do not normally post the email addresses of users but in the case of threateners I will. Especially homophobic threateners.

A hydra account of the same person "Fred Johnson" <fredcoldstone@gmail.com> has also been banned. The following are email addresses that this person has used to abuse and threaten CC staff and spam Australian chess authorities:

"F.C.Classics" <generalf55@gmail.com>, "John Lary - OTR Shows" <gildyshows@gmail.com>, "Michael Harris" <mikeharriswdca@gmail.com>, "Jan Lubek" <janlubekhere@gmail.com>, "Vesna (Vanessa) I" <macamalena2@gmail.com>, "lupco4ride44" <lupco4ride44@gmail.com>

This is clearly one person posting under multiple names (although he claims Lubek and Steriev are different people), and may be a result of a multiple personality disorder. Whether this person really has any of these names is unknown to us.

The initial threat arose from a response olantirn posted to some comments posted by thekohser about internet pest behaviour by this person. olantirn's response defamed a person who was not a party to his dispute with thekohser by implying they had behaved improperly in a correspondence tournament. No evidence was provided for this accusation and another moderator responded by removing olantirn's reply and locking the thread. olantirn then tried to take the matter up on a completely irrelevant thread, and when the off-topic posts there were deleted, responded by threatening the site and us personally.

As a result of this not only is olantirn permanently banned, but any new poster who attempts to discuss the Lubek/Steriev matter or who is suspected of being olantirn will also be immediately permanently banned.

I'm now getting death threats from this person:

F.C.Classics <generalf55@gmail.com>
31 Mar
to me
TAKE ALL EMAILS DOWN OR FACE SERIOUS ETERNAL CONSEQUENCES...

On 3/29/18, F.C.Classics <generalf55@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/29/18, John Lary - OTR Shows <gildyshows@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ---------- Forwarded message ------
>> http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-att-us&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=lupco4ride44&btnG=Search
>> All emails must b gone. We r internet ches club n clearly we r not
>> same person.confirm!
>>
>

31 Mar
to me
On 3/30/18, F.C.Classics <generalf55@gmail.com> wrote:
> KARTH,DO U WANT US TO REPORT U TO YOUR INTERNET PROVIDER4TOS
> VIOLATIONS?TAKE THAT FALSE CRAP DOWM IMMEDIATELY!
>
> On 3/29/18, F.C.Classics <generalf55@gmail.com> wrote:
>> please remove privacy violations below n punish the culprists. Confirm
>> when its done.
>>
>> On 3/29/18, John Lary - OTR Shows <gildyshows@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ------
>>>
>>> http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?2494-Moderation-Rules-and-Decisions/page22&ei=SZDdH_Ul&lc=en-US&s=1&m=549&host=www.google.com&f=1&client=ms-android-att-us&gl=us&q=gildyshows@gmail.com&ts=1522337899&sig=APs-2Gw5t8x3I5eCBzaJTyCuj4Sd5TCqgQ
>>> USER OLANTIN POSTED THIS N PREVIOUS THREAD!PLEASE REMOVE EMAIL ADRESES
>>> ASAP N BLOCK OLANTERN FOR TOS RULES N PRIVACY VIOLATIONS! JOHN LARY
>>>
>>

31 Mar
to me
LET ME ASSURE U,WHAT U POSTED IS NOTHING.WE R CHESS CLUB WITH MANY
MEMBERS N U N OLANTIN,ALL OF U LL PAY BIG TIME!WITH LASTING NEGATIVE
CONSEQUENCES!KEEP ON PLAYING WITH US N C WHAT HAPPENS...

31 Mar
to me
FINAL REMINDER BITCH.IM CONTACTING YOUR IP PROVIDER TO SHUT YOUR
SHITTY SITE DOWN!

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 03:37:57 -0500
Message-ID: <CAO7+kPApV5y1yCR+brDKiWo2DfhEL0wx9n=mtpwtg+443r7-cA@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: dont think that u r down under i cant fuk u up!

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 19:09:02 -0500
Message-ID: <CA+noUyGWa=PxaQWYrtqwKEWpe7pGTxyCQ-UQfLczxETZp6nKQQ@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: when ll u delete what we asked of. If not we ll fuk up your gmail SUPER ASSHOLE!

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:19:26 -0500
Message-ID: <CAExKPOY306wOsnQQqnN3sL0hcDGh8wL-m2-zGJTuErphuB49Lw@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: PLEASE REMOVE ALL THE EMAILS POSTED BY KEVIN & BLOCK HIM PERMANENTLY IMMEDIATELY, CONFIRM!@!
To: Israel C <mikeharriswdca@gmail.com>, "F. C. Classics" <generalf55@gmail.com>

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?2494-Moderation-Rules-and-
Decisions/page22

2 Apr
to Michael, Sara, me
KART,WE R WAITING.IF LINK NOT REMOVED SOON,YOUR ENTIRE SITE LL BE GONE
FOREVER!!!

4 Apr
to Sara, me, Israel
WE PROMISE U,IF THIS PRIVACY VIOLATION IS NOT GONE,RETALIATION LL BE
SHOCK N AWE BITCH!

Michael Harris <mikeharriswdca@gmail.com>
8 Apr
to F.C.Classics, Sara, me
WELL? PLEASE REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY OR YOU WILL BE REPORTED FOR PRIVACY VIOLATIONS!HOW WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR NAME N EMAIL ALL OVER THE INTERNET?WORST OF ALL THIS IDIOT SAYS ALL THOSE EMAILS
ARE ONE. NOT TRUE, WE HAVE OUR OWN CHESS FEDERATION THAT IS APPROVED BY THE STATE, HERE'S THE PROOF: <link removed>

8 Apr
to Sara, me, Classics
WE CANT WAIT ANYLONGER.LEGAL ACTION WILL BE TAKEN AGAINST U! http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?2494-Moderation-Rules-and-Decisions/page22 ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

17 Apr (6 days ago)
to Michael, Sara, me
karth,please remove our names n emails. We are official chess club n
we are not same person. Failure to do so ll cost u dearly.FINAL
WARNING!CONFIRM!U R VIOLATING PRIVACY POLICY!

17 Apr (6 days ago)
to Michael, Sara, me
i promise u, i ll hunt u n haunt u til cows come home mother****er!

19 Apr (4 days ago)
to Michael, Sara, me
KARTHS,U LL PAY BIG TIME U HYPOCRITE!

Fred J <fredcoldstone@gmail.com>
20 Apr (3 days ago)
For last time we r kindly asking to remove blatant link that violates
our privacy. If not we ll contact your internet provider for tos
violations n your site ll be gone forever!

Fred J <fredcoldstone@gmail.com>
20 Apr (3 days ago)
For last time we r kindly asking to remove blatant link that violates
our privacy. If not we ll contact your internet provider for tos
violations n your site ll be gone forever! Very Seriously: THE WCA <link removed>

21 Apr (2 days ago)
KARTHS,U CHOSE TO FUK WITH WRONG PPL...

11:30 (21 hours ago)
to Michael, Sara, me
WE PROMISE U SOONER OR LATER YOUR HEAD LL BE SMASHED.WORLD IS ENOUGH
OF STUPID PPL.ONE LESS LL MAKE IT BETTER!

12:27 (20 hours ago)
DAMN STRAIGHT!

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:03:31 -0500
Message-ID: <CAL9YQ5hLUfrY9GyAc3K7Pe=_TkYtdtp4OsUaFqVJ1-R5vijRTA@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: IF U DONT REMOVE THAT LIBEL POST YOUR LIFE LL BE REMOVED BITCH!

Subject: Re: PLEASE REMOVE ALL THE EMAILS POSTED BY KEVIN & BLOCK HIM PERMANENTLY IMMEDIATELY, CONFIRM!@!
To: Fred J <fredcoldstone@gmail.com>
Cc: Sara Reinholtz <sarareinholtz@gmail.com>, "Chess Chat - Australia's Premier Chess Forum"
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

KARTHS,YOUR DAYS R NUMBERD PUSSY!

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 23:31:58 -0500
Subject: Re: PLEASE REMOVE ALL THE EMAILS POSTED BY KEVIN & BLOCK HIM PERMANENTLY IMMEDIATELY, CONFIRM!@!
To: "F.C.Classics" <generalf55@gmail.com>
Cc: Sara Reinholtz <sarareinholtz@gmail.com>, "Chess Chat - Australia's Premier Chess Forum"
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

MAY GOD CURSE U FOREVER.MAY BLESSINGS NEVER COME YOUR WAY SUPERBITCH!

Kevin Bonham
29-07-2018, 02:02 AM
An account that is suspected of being owned by a banned user is under investigation and has been suspended while under investigation.

Some posts by this account have also been taken offline.

[Update: The account is now banned unless the owner can supply information proving their identity.]

[Update 2: It is now proven that account chessmasterlove was a hydra of banned user Axiom.]

Kevin Bonham
21-10-2018, 07:58 PM
antichrist shoutbox-banned for 2 days for bringing up moderation issues in the shoutbox - third time I've had to mod him in a few days.

Kevin Bonham
24-10-2018, 09:01 AM
As noted in the moderation discussions thread, antichrist is banned from commenting on moderation for two weeks and is also permanently banned from using analogies of any kind when commenting on moderation.

Kevin Bonham
24-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Hoptex banned, hydra of banned user Axiom.

Kevin Bonham
03-11-2018, 02:11 AM
I will be mostly if not entirely offline between the morning of the 4th and the evening of the 10th. Please direct all moderation issues or requests to another mod during this time.

Kevin Bonham
03-11-2018, 10:38 AM
I've moved a thread antichrist started about Muhammed Ali offline because antichrist threadjacked his own thread with only the third post.

Even when someone is the starter of a thread they should make some token effort to keep it on topic.

Kevin Bonham
11-11-2018, 09:34 AM
antichrist is excluded from the Australian Chess section for a week for posting on a thread he had been banned from and for continuing to post off-topic political material such as comments about Donald Trump on chess-section threads.

Kevin Bonham
16-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Deleted a post that encouraged domestic violence (albeit of a minor level) in response to domestic violence, and could be read as encouraging readers to fabricate other pretexts for domestic violence being acceptable. Domestic violence is never OK, irrespective of the genders involved.

Kevin Bonham
26-12-2018, 09:43 PM
Really sick of antichrist not getting the message about not posting stupid and often inappropriate off-topic political, historical, religious or whatever material in chess threads completely without any provocation.

antichrist is excluded from the overseas tournament section for a year or until I remember to lift the exclusion, whichever is longer.

This may at my discretion be lifted early if and only if I have not deleted any of his posts anywhere for being off-topic for at least three months.

Kevin Bonham
28-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Posts restored

George Pell specific posts from the old thread about sex abuse allegations involving the clergy (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16887-Sexual-abuse-and-allegations-involving-the-clergy-(renamed)) have been restored. These posts were temporarily removed as they may have been sub judice at the time of posting. Fresh discussion regarding Pell should occur on the Pell-specific thread.

Kevin Bonham
29-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Since TheARBChessSys reckons this forum is a "joke" he won't miss his access to it for the next six months.

Ban is for whinging (including on another forum) after being warned following the removal (twice) of a defamatory and very visually unpleasant video. A warning rather than an immediate ban for the video was very generous in the circumstances.

Kevin Bonham
31-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Since TheARBChessSys reckons this forum is a "joke" he won't miss his access to it for the next six months.

Ban now permanent unless decided otherwise. Minimum six months.

Kevin Bonham
10-06-2019, 06:40 PM
A reminder that several Chesschat members have significant business and other professional interests.

Please be careful when commenting on these to avoid language that may be taken as implying unethical behaviour. Please also note that unprovoked off-topic trolling of CC members about their business or professional interests may be grounds for immediate suspension.

Kevin Bonham
27-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Removed "Miscellaneous Different-Sex Issues Thread" - too many stupid posts already.

Kevin Bonham
09-08-2019, 11:59 PM
No crassness in the shoutbox please; I've flushed the last week or so of shouts.

Kevin Bonham
26-11-2019, 06:45 PM
Really sick of antichrist not getting the message about not posting stupid and often inappropriate off-topic political, historical, religious or whatever material in chess threads completely without any provocation.

antichrist is excluded from the overseas tournament section for a year or until I remember to lift the exclusion, whichever is longer.

This may at my discretion be lifted early if and only if I have not deleted any of his posts anywhere for being off-topic for at least three months.

antichrist also now excluded from Upcoming and Current Tournaments for a month for the same offence.

Kevin Bonham
28-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Reminding posters of the shoutbox guidelines here:
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?2494-Moderation-Rules-and-Decisions&p=260973&viewfull=1#post260973

in particular re "* strident soapboxing about political or religious non-chess issues. Take it to a thread."

Kevin Bonham
15-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Deleted an exchange of shouts in which one member who is apparently on rather stroppy terms with another member accused the other member (without naming them) of computer-cheating in a long-ago correspondence game here, claiming that all their moves were first or second choice computer moves.

While this might (though I doubt it) have been the case with some program available at the time (nobody raised it back then), it is certainly not the case with programs available now (several moves are only 4th or 5th choice by some margin and one is a blunder) and in any case the shoutbox is certainly not an appropriate place to make such accusations.

Please note that in future any member who makes claims of computer-cheating against another member in the shoutbox, whether the other member is named or not, risks a very long shoutbox ban. This also applies to any other form of potentially defamatory claim.

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2019, 09:14 PM
A certain type of post recently seen on this forum may be known as an "antichrist gallop", named after the so-called "Gish gallop" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish_gallop). Whereas the Gish gallop aims to overwhelm the respondent with more nonsense than they can possibly refute in time, an antichrist gallop aims to overwhelm the moderator with such a bizarre collection of tangents, analogies and apparently off-topic material that it becomes impossible to tell at what point the post has slipped off topic and whether the post was meant to be as irrelevant as it looks or not. The sense is that the poster is using distractions flying in all directions to get from a point that is tokenly on-topic to a point that is completely not.

I have allowed many of these posts but as a general rule any "antichrist gallop" post that is made in the non-chess section and mentions any controversial chess personality will be deleted.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2020, 05:59 PM
I want some posters to make more effort to save the moderators work by putting posts in the right thread, so where non-chess posts are primarily just sharing of news or social media items posted to political threads and it is not immediately apparent that they are on topic, I am just going to delete them and any replies without warning or logging for a while.

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2020, 01:42 PM
Reminding posters of the shoutbox guidelines here:
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?2494-Moderation-Rules-and-Decisions&p=260973&viewfull=1#post260973

in particular re "* strident soapboxing about political or religious non-chess issues. Take it to a thread."

To make it simple since the slightest mention seems to spiral into the usual stuff, US politics including any mention of Trump whether positive, negative or flippant is banned from the shoutbox for the rest of 2020.

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2020, 03:18 PM

A hydra account of the same person "Fred Johnson" <fredcoldstone@gmail.com> has also been banned. The following are other email addresses that this person has used to abuse and threaten CC staff and spam Australian chess authorities (list will be updated as required and when I can be bothered):

"F.C.Classics" <generalf55@gmail.com>, "John Lary - OTR Shows" <gildyshows@gmail.com>, "John Lary" <John Lary <janlarysrockystatue@gmail.com>, "Michael Harris" <mikeharriswdca@gmail.com>, "Jan Lubek" <janlubekhere@gmail.com>, "Vesna (Vanessa) I" <macamalena2@gmail.com>, "lupco4ride44" <lupco4ride44@gmail.com>, "Marko I" <dairymarko@gmail.com>, "Sara Reinholtz" <sarareinholtz@gmail.com>, "Gogi George Reeves" <gogigeorgereeves@gmail.com>, "CBM IBM" <cbmibm@gmail.com>

ACF officials are getting high volumes of deranged ranting and threats from this person. This person appears not to be aware that Chesschat is independent of the ACF, and hence he is wasting his time.

Kevin Bonham
12-02-2020, 05:21 PM
antichrist banned for one day and excluded from the Religion and Science section for a month or until I remember to let him back into it for twice four times posting comments referring to moderation outside the Help and Feedback section.

Kevin Bonham
19-02-2020, 07:05 PM
* Links to material that falls outside the site rules must be clearly labelled "not work safe" and must contain additional warnings if the material linked to is unusually gross, potentially disturbing etc. In extreme cases links may be deleted even if a disclaimer is provided. Some links may be better posted in the Coffee Lounge rather than the main board.

Further to this, do not link approvingly to Nazi, neo-Nazi or overtly white supremacist websites as they will almost always contain material that is illegal somewhere in Australia, even if there is nothing illegal on the direct page linked to. If it is really necessary to link to such a website, eg for the purposes of commentary on something said by another poster, then contact a moderator first for permission.

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2020, 10:02 AM
Several posts from an obituary thread have been moved offline on the grounds that they were one or more of:

* not appropriate for an obituary thread
* comments about moderation
* by antichrist and of unclear proprietry

Prior to this action undertaken just now the thread had not been moderated.

Kevin Bonham
10-03-2020, 11:21 PM
As noted on the coronavirus thread, the posting of silly conspiracy theories or fake news relating to the virus will not be tolerated until such time as the virus ceases to be a public health emergency.

(see clarification re accidental escape claims (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17880-Wuhan-Coronavirus&p=465209&viewfull=1#post465209))

Kevin Bonham
14-04-2020, 05:32 PM
The following actions have been taken as concerns the Pell thread:

1. Ten posts from last April moved offline - these started with a post that could easily be read as asserting that a person who had been cleared on appeal of a conviction was still guilty, although the intent appears to have been to comment on whether the accusation was newsworthy rather than whether it was true. Also some of the language used was not appropriate for the main board.

2. One post by antichrist moved offline, another edited and quotes of both edited - repeating hearsay accusations he had previously been directed not to repeat.

3. antichrist banned for a week and excluded from the Religion and Science section for six months (or until I remember to let him back in, whichever is longer) for disobeying a moderation directive to cease repeating hearsay accusations. Ban would have been longer had I noticed he was breaching a previous directive at the time.

4. Six posts from today moved offline because they included comments about moderation that were posted on the thread in question and not in the Help and Feedback section.

A reminder that we do not always read all posts closely with our moderation hats on in the absence of any complaint. So the fact that a post that no moderation complaint has been made about is up does not necessarily mean that it has been reviewed for moderation or even necessarily seen by moderators.

A further reminder that all comments about the moderation of a thread are to be made in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread itself.

Kevin Bonham
16-04-2020, 11:46 AM
I have modified some Gnostic Bishop thread titles for the following reasons:

1. Some of the titles are too long and stop in mid-word.
2. Some of the titles make claims of fact that are either very disputable or clearly false.

Recent GB thread titles with either of these issues have been placed in quotes, and in the case of the first issue, truncated with [..].

The same treatment may also be applied to older GB thread titles where applicable on request, provided the request is made in the Help and Feedback section or via PM and not on the thread itself.

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Reading antichrist's posts this morning I found at least four had been one or more of the following:

* off topic
* mentioning issues in areas of the forum where he has been told repeatedly not to mention them
* clearly silly

To save myself the bother of wading through any more I decided to bulk-delete every post antichrist has made so far today. I think there were nine in total.

Kevin Bonham
20-05-2020, 11:34 AM
antichrist banned from the shoutbox for a day and shouts deleted for trolling a user who he has a long history of trolling.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Deleted a thread set up by one user to troll another. There is a long-standing approach here that such threads are not in general allowed, though exceptions may be made when the subject of the thread explicitly or implicitly invites creation of a thread about themselves as a place to put such discussions.

antichrist is also warned for posting material suited to the Religion and Science section (from which he is banned) outside that section. If this happens again before his ban from Religion and Science expires he will be banned from the whole Non-Chess section.

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Deleted thread started by antichrist to parody the "Policing of Indigenous offenders" thread. I could not tell whether the parody thread was intended as a kind of moderation complaint and even if it wasn't it contained no actual content and was in a subject area where antichrist has form and has long ago been warned not to start new threads. Had AC made any attempt to make a substantial point that the Australian justice or policing systems display bias in either direction concerning any non-Indigenous ethnicity things might have been different but that was not the case.

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2020, 05:02 PM
A moderation request has been ignored because the user posted it to the thread in question and not in the Help and Feedback section. The request has been deleted.

Kevin Bonham
04-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Bit tired of the endless back and forth slagging between antichrist and ER - I'm again close to banning both of them from replying to or mentioning the other, and I'm now routinely deleting posts by either that I consider are unnecessarily escalating the conflict (including in AC's case by wilful cluelessness) without logging all the deletions of such posts.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2020, 12:48 PM
A few issues regarding users posting links to their online streams:

1. If your stream may contain strong swearing or any form of adult content you must add a warning to this effect every time you post a link to it. Failure to do so will result in your link being deleted, repeated failure may result in your link being blocked or a ban.

2. There has been a credible accusation that a stream contained racist language, but I have not been able to verify it as yet. In future if you are posting a link to your stream on CC then do not use racist language on it under any circumstances whatsoever. Expect a lengthy ban from Chesschat without further warnings if you do.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2020, 12:37 PM
User ritchi banned and all threads started by it removed - hydra of banned user olantirn. Pretended to be from Box Hill but gave itself away by using inferior American swearwords.

Kevin Bonham
27-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Deleted a newly started thread with a somewhat nebulous focus; I think you should know by now that if the thread's not about Hitler but mentions Hitler in the opening post then it probably isn't a goer. Not saying don't start the thread but at least at the start keep the commentary sensible and avoid analogies.

Kevin Bonham
06-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Michael Baron replied to a moderation notice on a thread it was posted on, despite me continually telling posters not to do this and even including it in my sigfile.

I responded by posting a notice in block capitals in the largest font size available telling people not to do this, which also included in smaller print a notice that Michael Baron was not allowed to post on the thread for 48 hours.

Michael continued to post on the thread, several times. He is therefore excluded from the Australian Chess section for a week or until I remember to let him back in, whichever is longer.

However this exclusion will be halted early - not necessarily immediately but when I am next online and have seen it - if Michael makes a post in the Help and Feedback section stating that he understands that he should not reply to moderation notices on the thread they are posted on and will try very hard not to do so in future.

Kevin Bonham
27-01-2021, 06:52 PM
I've deleted a post saying there had been a Norton virus warning about a club site, and replies to it, as the poster did not specify what link was supposedly a problem and no link had been referred to in other posts on the thread. Also the club in question doesn't seem to have a website.

Please, if posting virus warnings, make sure that it is very clear which address the warning relates to. I will delete vague posts of this sort to avoid timewasting and possible reputation damage to clubs.

Kevin Bonham
12-02-2021, 11:35 PM
Just a note about overquoting as I just snipped two posts in a row because of it - this is what happens when someone clicks quote on a very long post and then writes a very short reply that is only relevant to a very small part of the post.

Please don't do this as it is a minor nuisance for other users when it comes to scrolling down the page.

Sometimes it is not necessary to quote the post you're replying to at all. Also, there is the option to manually edit the text between the quote tags to cut the quote down to the relevant content you are replying to.

Kevin Bonham
15-02-2021, 11:39 PM
A note re the shoutbox: referring to other users' comments that challenge yours as "nonsensical, ignorant and uninformed comments" without substantiating such a claim will be construed as shoutbox trolling and in this case has resulted in deletion of a shout.

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2021, 07:38 AM
antichrist just made a post in the Australian Chess section that was so obviously daft and insensitive that I've kicked him out of said section for a week.

Kevin Bonham
29-03-2021, 12:56 AM
antichrist is warned again for senselessly bumping old threads. If he does it again he will be banned for one day for every year the thread has been inactive.

Kevin Bonham
12-04-2021, 12:28 AM
New member who posted bragging claims to have solved chess banned immediately - I would have asked them some questions to establish whether they were in breach of forum rules but they explicitly said this was their only post on the forum. For regulars I have moved the thread to the Coffee Lounge - I don't want this person to get any publicity from having their post up publicly here.

Kevin Bonham
20-04-2021, 06:41 PM
ER banned for a day and excluded from the Help and Feedback section for a week or until I remember to lift the block (whichever is longer) for crude personal abuse in the Moderation discussion thread. He can comment on this decision when the week is up and not before.

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2021, 01:37 AM
Deleted thread "Irony. So many rely on a Jew for salvation." - felt this was a dubious thread to begin with but a follow up post by the thread starter was on thin ice re religious vilification (of Christians) especially given no evidence was given for the claims being made.

Kevin Bonham
30-06-2021, 08:59 PM
Following apparently inappropriate comments on an obituary thread (again), antichrist is excluded from the Australian Chess section for three months or until I remember to readmit him, whichever is longer. This may be reviewed if antichrist knew the deceased but the post will stay deleted.

antichrist is also permanently banned from posting on obituary threads without prior moderator permission, which will not be granted by me unless he knew the deceased. Any breach of this warning in the next five years will result in a three-month full site ban.

Kevin Bonham
23-07-2021, 10:26 PM
User challenger007 banned and all posts deleted.

This poster was a "street team" spammer who pretended to be a genuine poster while posting the occasional spam link, in this case by pretending to have discovered commercial products. I had been suspicious of this poster because of their weird posting style and apparent lack of interest in chess (also it was suggested to me that they might be Axiom, but they're not), and after they posted one product link too many I checked their email address and full list of IPs and found references on Stop Forum Spam and various sites referring to fraud, VPNs etc.

In future any poster who posts a product link before they have posted any comments related to chess will be assumed to be a street team spammer and banned immediately.