PDA

View Full Version : World Poker Tour on Aussie TV

ElevatorEscapee
23-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I have been enjoying watching the World Poker Tour late at night, it is broadcast in Victoria on Channel 10 after the Saturday night Aussie Rules football game (at approx 11:00pm). [It is probably broadcast to other states as well, but maybe in a different timeslot.]

There are cameras behind each of the players so the viewers get to know who holds what cards (but of course the players are unaware of what cards their opponents hold).

The games are exciting and entertaining, (made even more so by the commentators), and if anything, the tension and pressure on the poker players reminds me of people playing chess.

I recall SBS used to have a similar program with a glass table top, and a camera underneath, but I haven't seen that one for a while.

Those interested in the game, or just wanting to view a different style of sporting contest, may wish to check it out. :)

Spiny Norman
23-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Yep, I've been getting "sucked in" to watching it too. I end up staying awake way past my normal bed time ...

ElevatorEscapee
23-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Well, the good thing about it is that it is on Saturday night, so I can afford to stay up late as I am able sleep in on Sunday morning. (Good thing I don't have to go to church. :lol: :P)

Spiny Norman
23-05-2005, 06:07 PM
(Good thing I don't have to go to church. :lol: :P)

I always know I'm gonna regret it next morning, but watching people play with such large sums of money is a bit hypnotic. Hopefully the people @ church don't mind me being a slightly sleepy, yawning guitarist. I tend to wear sunnies anyway to keep the spotlights out of my eyes, so perhaps nobody can tell? :cool:

Garvinator
25-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I always know I'm gonna regret it next morning, but watching people play with such large sums of money is a bit hypnotic. Hopefully the people @ church don't mind me being a slightly sleepy, yawning guitarist. I tend to wear sunnies anyway to keep the spotlights out of my eyes, so perhaps nobody can tell? :cool:
:hmm: you could always tape it or dvd record it if you have a dvd recorder ;)

Kerry Stead
25-05-2005, 06:47 PM
I have been enjoying watching the World Poker Tour late at night, it is broadcast in Victoria on Channel 10 after the Saturday night Aussie Rules football game (at approx 11:00pm). [It is probably broadcast to other states as well, but maybe in a different timeslot.]

There are cameras behind each of the players so the viewers get to know who holds what cards (but of course the players are unaware of what cards their opponents hold).

The games are exciting and entertaining, (made even more so by the commentators), and if anything, the tension and pressure on the poker players reminds me of people playing chess.

I recall SBS used to have a similar program with a glass table top, and a camera underneath, but I haven't seen that one for a while.

Those interested in the game, or just wanting to view a different style of sporting contest, may wish to check it out. :)
:evil: NOT shown in Sydney ... only Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth & Adelaide! Anyone want to get out the VCR or DVD recorder for me? 'Tis a good show ...
The SBS show was a British-based one, 'Late Night Poker' which isn't being shown at the moment. Decent show though.

Spiny Norman
25-05-2005, 08:28 PM
:hmm: you could always tape it or dvd record it if you have a dvd recorder ;)

My eyes glaze over when confronted with technology such as a VCR, or photocopier, etc. I think I may be a technophobe. You'd think that would disqualify me from becoming an IT Manager, but it hasn't (yet). Must be at least 15 years since I bothered recording anything on a VCR! Main reason is there's always something new on Foxtel or free-to-air that can be watched "now", so entertainment gratification is never far away...

ElevatorEscapee
25-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I'll see how I go for taping it this Saturday, Kerry.

WhiteElephant
27-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Last week they had 'the mouth from the south', trash-talking aussie Tony G. He didn't last long though, after a bad beat he became very quiet and got knocked out soon afterwards.

ElevatorEscapee
28-05-2005, 03:24 PM
It's tonight isn't it? I'll put a tape in now so I don't forget . :)

Kerry Stead
28-05-2005, 04:19 PM
It's tonight isn't it? I'll put a tape in now so I don't forget . :)
Indeed it is ... apparently ... in Sydney we get 'Into Thin Air' following the AFL, and later on 'The Fifth Quarter' ...
I've recently become something of a convert to limit hold 'em ... had previously restricted myself to no-limit, but if you play a little differently, limit can be good too (although at times frustrating!)

ElevatorEscapee
29-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Well, I popped a tape in (and managed to edit out most of the ads).

If you PM me a postal address I'll send it off for you.

Alan Shore
30-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Last week they had 'the mouth from the south', trash-talking aussie Tony G. He didn't last long though, after a bad beat he became very quiet and got knocked out soon afterwards.

We had that on this week.. perhaps you're getting stuff a week ahead of us, unless they had him on again? The Swede took out the cash last night.

We've been playing some Texas Holdem (me and a few mates, around 8-10 of us) the past few months, has been good fun, I've won 2/5, everyone puts in $5 with prizes for 1st and 2nd.

Garvinator
05-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Everyone just watches wpt for shana hiatt, admit it ;)

WhiteElephant
05-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Watching it as we speak. Quite a night of viewing tonight. Girls Next Door FHM special followed by World Poker Tour.

Back to Back Flack looks like he's got it in the bag at the moment with 10 times more chips than second place.

ElevatorEscapee
05-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I sat up until 11:00 pm to watch it last night, and was surprised when Channel 10 aired a "nudity & course language" warning before hand.

(I wondered if the commentators were going to be potty mouthed and whether competitors had to drop their strides and run around the table after losing all their chips).

Unfortunately, this wasn't the case, Channel 10 had made a late change to their programming, sneaking in the FHM girl show beforehand (featuring a sleazy male interviewer asking the girls such absorbing questions as: "What's your favourite body part on a man?" :rolleyes: )

This meant that I didn't get to bed until about 2:00am. If this continues I might have to consider just putting in a tape and watching it the following day.

WhiteElephant
05-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I sat up until 11:00 pm to watch it last night, and was surprised when Channel 10 aired a "nudity & course language" warning before hand.

(I wondered if the commentators were going to be potty mouthed and whether competitors had to drop their strides and run around the table after losing all their chips).

Unfortunately, this wasn't the case, Channel 10 had made a late change to their programming, sneaking in the FHM girl show beforehand (featuring a sleazy male interviewer asking the girls such absorbing questions as: "What's your favourite body part on a man?" :rolleyes: )

This meant that I didn't get to bed until about 2:00am. If this continues I might have to consider just putting in a tape and watching it the following day.

Hi EE,

The sleazy male interviewer was legendary DJ and Bachelor of the Year, Kyle Sandilands from Kyle & Jackie O Radio Show. Hehe some of the questions were totally mindless but I was impressed that the winner of the comp was a 5th Year Law student!

Anyway wasn't the WPT worth staying up for? It was a classic. I really wanted Jerry Buss to beat that arrogant pr*ck Layne Flack but it was not to be :(

Kerry Stead
06-06-2005, 04:14 AM
Hi EE,

The sleazy male interviewer was legendary DJ and Bachelor of the Year, Kyle Sandilands from Kyle & Jackie O Radio Show. Hehe some of the questions were totally mindless but I was impressed that the winner of the comp was a 5th Year Law student!

Anyway wasn't the WPT worth staying up for? It was a classic. I really wanted Jerry Buss to beat that arrogant pr*ck Layne Flack but it was not to be :(
Hmmm ... I've actually got highlights of all these shows you mention on a DVD I got with a book ... The book is 'Shuffle Up & Deal' by Mike Sexton (who does commentary for WPT) and it has a 1.5 hour DVD hosted by Lou Diamond Phillips (does anyone remember 'La Bamba') and has highlights from various WPT events ... including the one that Jerry Buss comes 2nd in and a few other events ... all supposedly as a 'primer' for improving your play ...

ElevatorEscapee
06-06-2005, 08:46 AM
What struck me was how much Mr Flack resembled the Aussie chess player who moved to Canada: Alex Davies. :lol:

WhiteElephant
06-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Hmmm ... I've actually got highlights of all these shows you mention on a DVD I got with a book ... The book is 'Shuffle Up & Deal' by Mike Sexton (who does commentary for WPT) and it has a 1.5 hour DVD hosted by Lou Diamond Phillips (does anyone remember 'La Bamba') and has highlights from various WPT events ... including the one that Jerry Buss comes 2nd in and a few other events ... all supposedly as a 'primer' for improving your play ...

Last week's show was a celebrity tournament where celebrities were given free entry to play against the pros. Jerry Buss was the only celebrity to make it to the final table. All through the show they were doing interviews with celebrities that played in the event - Lou Diamond Phillips, Mickey Rooney and others.

That DVD you've got sounds pretty cool...I'm thinking of ordering a 4-DVD set online where top pros (Gus Hansen and 3 others) teach you strategies of Poker). Man that tv show is addictive...makes me want to become a professional poker player :)

WhiteElephant
06-06-2005, 09:15 AM
What struck me was how much Mr Flack resembled the Aussie chess player who moved to Canada: Alex Davies. :lol:

If it's the same Alex Davies I'm thinking of, I've played him a few times as a junior. Didn't know he'd moved to Canada and changed his name to Layne Flack :owned:

ElevatorEscapee
06-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Yes, he's the same one who used to play at Bendigo.

He is also a member here, and has kindly provided a photo of himself which can be seen on the first page of the members list: Memberlist (http://www.chesschat.org/memberlist.php?)

He must have shaved his beard off for that tournament though. :lol:

Garvinator
06-06-2005, 01:50 PM
It seems you guys get a different episode of wpt as Gus Hansen won the version shown up here.

WhiteElephant
06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
It seems you guys get a different episode of wpt as Gus Hansen won the version shown up here.

Yep you guys are a week behind I think. Sorry to give away next week's winner, I'll try not to blurt it out next time.

Garvinator
07-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Yep you guys are a week behind I think. Sorry to give away next week's winner, I'll try not to blurt it out next time.
its cool, i only watch when it is on and when i can, not particularly interested if i miss it. I only watch to learn a bit more and also for Shauna ;) I think she is married though. :lol:

Alan Shore
07-06-2005, 03:21 AM
Oh come on, watch it for the poker! If you want to ogle girls, watch... Star Wars.. or something... !

pax
07-06-2005, 12:08 PM
That DVD you've got sounds pretty cool...I'm thinking of ordering a 4-DVD set online where top pros (Gus Hansen and 3 others) teach you strategies of Poker). Man that tv show is addictive...makes me want to become a professional poker player :)

Professional poker is not pretty.

Imagine spending every day in dingy poker rooms with thoroughly unpleasant chain smokers that barely manage to say hello to each other.

Not to mention that strategies for winning good money regularly are as boring as batshit to play.

"Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, call, fold, pass, pass, pass, pass, raise (all fold, rake pot), pass, pass...."

ElevatorEscapee
21-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Quack quack... :owned: :lol:

ElevatorEscapee
28-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Sigh... it wasn't on last week... :(

Jesse Jager
29-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Why is sometimes not on? does motar sport take higher priority?

Kerry Stead
30-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Quack quack... :owned: :lol:
Thanks again for the tape ... that quack quack guy is an idiot! Was glad to see he didn't win!

Picked up a Hellmuth DVD the other day ... good, although very similar to his book 'Play Poker like the Pros' ...

As pax said, its rather boring to play poker to win money on a regular basis ...

arosar
30-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Hey Kerry, I've decided. I wanna be Stu.

AR

ElevatorEscapee
30-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Why is sometimes not on? does motar sport take higher priority?

It seems it does... or shows like "Blokesworld - Footy Special" and of course the FHM model of the year show. I wonder what target market Chanel 10 is aiming for in that timeslot... :lol:

Motorsport isn't always as exciting as the Poker either ... the US Grand Prix had as many starters as sit around the WPT table.

According to my tv guide, the poker seems to be on again this week. :)

Alan Shore
05-08-2005, 07:26 PM
This hasn't been commented on in a while.. I've been having a few poker nights, as has Kerrence I bet. It's finished on normal tv for now but I predict the game only gowing more and more over the next couple of years.

Watto
12-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know when Joe Hachem's win will air on Australian television?

Watto
12-09-2005, 01:34 PM
I meant free to air television...

Kerry Stead
12-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know when Joe Hachem's win will air on Australian television?
Unlikely I'd say

Jason Hu
05-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Is there such thing as poker coaching? i might take that up some day :P
I've played with hellmuth, raymer and moneymaker :)

WhiteElephant
05-10-2005, 02:49 PM
They should get Poker coaching into schools. Start em young I say.

Rincewind
05-10-2005, 03:36 PM
They should get Poker coaching into schools. Start em young I say.

Yes along with an interest in the sport of kings.

four four two
05-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Hey,they could train the primary school kids how to put amphetamines in their greyhounds drinking bowls. ;)

ElevatorEscapee
06-10-2005, 08:35 PM
The greyhound trainer's/handler's used to have a very nasty trick. When a particular greyhound was favoured to win, and backed heavily by the punters.... the bookie may have been able to either bribe or intimidate the owner/trainer into having it not win. To wit: the handler would cruelly thump the poor greyhound in the thigh with his fist when loading it into the barricade, thereby "corking" the poor animal and forcing it to run slower than usual...

What amazes me is that, although this sort of stuff was "common knowledge" in the 1980's, that people still bet their mortgages on greyhound races. :eek:

I'm afraid that I cannot make head nor tails of gambling nor problem gamblers... :confused:

I am, however, very certain about my feelings when it comes to those who are deliberately cruel to animals. :mad: :evil: :cry:

four four two
06-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Relax mate,it was a joke to illustrate the crazy gambling culture we have in this country. :hand: For the record horses are treated far worse than any greyhound.

bergil
07-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Relax mate,it was a joke to illustrate the crazy gambling culture we have in this country. :hand: For the record horses are treated far worse than any greyhound.
No they aren't having been an owner of both let me tell you the dogs are getting it worse.

WhiteElephant
07-10-2005, 09:36 AM
The greyhound trainer's/handler's used to have a very nasty trick. When a particular greyhound was favoured to win, and backed heavily by the punters.... the bookie may have been able to either bribe or intimidate the owner/trainer into having it not win. To wit: the handler would cruelly thump the poor greyhound in the thigh with his fist when loading it into the barricade, thereby "corking" the poor animal and forcing it to run slower than usual...

What amazes me is that, although this sort of stuff was "common knowledge" in the 1980's, that people still bet their mortgages on greyhound races. :eek:

I'm afraid that I cannot make head nor tails of gambling nor problem gamblers... :confused:

I am, however, very certain about my feelings when it comes to those who are deliberately cruel to animals. :mad: :evil: :cry:

Isn't it cruel to force animals to race, not to mention the corking?

bergil
07-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Isn't it cruel to force animals to race, not to mention the corking?
To race no but the way some are treated yes. Corking or jamming tails into doors of boxes, giving them bellies full of water, a double or triple coated pill of speed before kenneling or worse when they break down cutting the ear off or burning it so they can't trace the trainner when he abandons the dog. :evil:

Thankfully Its gotten a lot better and most of these thing no longer happen.

ElevatorEscapee
24-11-2005, 07:12 PM
There has been a newer show on channel 10 late at night recently called Joker Poker, basically it is a rip off of the World Poker Tour, only with stand up comedians playing for charity.

It is hosted by Adam Spencer and is an ok watch, but lacks the excitement and entertainment of the WPT matches.

Watto
25-11-2005, 07:46 AM
There has been a newer show on channel 10 late at night recently called Joker Poker, basically it is a rip off of the World Poker Tour, only with stand up comedians playing for charity.

It is hosted by Adam Spencer and is an ok watch, but lacks the excitement and entertainment of the WPT matches.

From what I’ve seen it’s a real dud of a show. Your average group of regular poker players would almost certainly come up with funnier lines and be much more interesting to watch as they’d actually know about poker. Adam Spencer does his best and the American pro (I feel for him a bit!) but they’ve got pretty poor material to work with.
Okay concept but they need to find some funny comedians who are also real poker players.

four four two
25-11-2005, 11:22 AM
What can I say about "joker poker", a bunch of rank amatuers.
Emphasis on rank. :lol:
I cant believe that they couldnt come up with australian comedians who can play decent poker,but then again maybe the better players werent "photogenic" enough for channel 10. :hmm:
Maybe they only prefer the rough looking kind on blokes world...where they have the strippers to compensate for their "matinee idol looks". :whistle:
As for the american commentator,is he a real "pro"?,or just some yank living in Australia who they thought would lend some credibility to the show? :hmm:

ElevatorEscapee
25-11-2005, 06:18 PM
I think the show lacks bite because the Comedians have nothing to lose (apart from credibility).

Maybe if they gambled their Channel 10 paychecks against one another in a winner takes all bout, the competitive spirit would be encouraged, and we would see people genuinely playing to win rather than just everyone checking all the time. :lol:

PS Fourfy, I believe the "Pro" wrote a book about playing "aggressive poker".

Jason Hu
11-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Any chess players playing the Aussie million??? I won a seat to it from pstars but i realised i can't go because i'll be going to Queenstown :(

Hachem will be representing pstars along with a few other sponsored members (better players). So it will no longer be a noobish tourney :)
PS. Hachem is a fishy PLO player :P

Gattaca
11-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Any chess players playing the Aussie million??? I won a seat to it from pstars but i realised i can't go because i'll be going to Queenstown :(

Hachem will be representing pstars along with a few other sponsored members (better players). So it will no longer be a noobish tourney :)
PS. Hachem is a fishy PLO player :P

Hi Jason.

I almost made the exact same mistake, but checked on the dates and promptly cancelled any satellites and qualifiers I had entered. It's a real bummer that they clash. Have you actually checked whether they will let you transfer your seat to someone else? Sometimes they do and sometime they don't. If it is allowed I know several very good players in Melbourne you could speak to. You could just let them play for you and give them a small percentage of anything they win. Could be tricky if they win the million though!

I also suggest that you advertise your dilemma free of charge on my poker site www.theholdemlounge.com Go to the section titled "Marketplace." Or just e-mail me direct with the wording. There is also an associated poker forum you could post on.

By the way, if you know any chessplayers who are keen online poker players, The Holdem Lounge offers player sponsorships where we pay you to play online poker. We also do rakeback deals, so spread the word ;)

There are some good poker players in the chess scene. Recently Dennis Bourmistrov came second in a poker tournament at Crown and won 5 or 6 grand. Gary Benson, the former Australian CC Champion, is a WSOP gold bracelet winner! David Potter won AU $18,000 by taking second in a big online event. All in all, watch out, the chessplayers are coming! On that subject, does anyone know exactly how good a chessplayer Howard Lederer was?

ElevatorEscapee
12-12-2005, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't mind playing in some of the poker tourney's if ever I got a chance ... (sounds like fun)! :D

As for Mr Lederer, the WPT spruikers tout him as a "Chess Master", however, they could be bluffing! ;)

Unconfirmed reports... according to some sources, Howard Lederer's last published USCF chess rating was 1951. Which would put him in the higher than average chess player category, but not necessarily in the USCF master class.

Watto
12-12-2005, 08:18 PM
http://www.chessninja.com/dailydirt/archives/red_hot_poker.htm

Found this discussion about Lederer at a US chess website. They were also wondering...

Garvinator
13-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Howard H Lederer's rating is uscf 1951 according to the uscf ratings website.

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrLst.php

ElevatorEscapee
13-12-2005, 01:18 AM
You are up late, you little devil! ;)

, ,
/( )`
\ \__ / |
/- _ `-/ '
(/\/ \ \ /\
/ / | ` \
O O ) |
`-^--'`< '
(_.) _ ) /
`.___/` /
`-----' /
<----. __ / __ \
<----|====O)))==) \) /==========
<----' `--' `.__,' \
| |
\ /
____( (_ / \______
,' ,----' | \
`--{__________) \/

Alan Shore
13-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Had a hilarious thing happen the other night. Down to the last two in heads up. Almost identical chip stack. Blinds quite high by this stage, Opponent goes all in, I call.

My opponent shows 5 6.

I smile, and lay down Q Q.

The flop comes: 8 9 7.

Oh. Crap. So he's made the straight.. seems over.

Turn: Q.

Well, some hope.. I've made trips but have to hit a full house....

River: 9.

Ohhhh yeahhhh....!!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4033/dsc002776iq.jpg

:D

Watto
13-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Like the photo. :)
I’ve had an opposite sort of experience- the strangest run of bad luck over the weekend… when I folded crap cards, invariably they would have connected. Time and time again. When I played, even if I started ahead, they connected perhaps twice (one of those times being dealt pocket jacks and then a pair of jacks flopped but no one had anything to play with- I won the blinds and that was about it). Only thing keeping me alive were little bluffs here and there. Finally down to my last pennies, I was forced all in with 2 7 unsuited! Felt very confident...
2 and 7 flopped and I won the meagre pot. :) Began to think my luck had changed… felt happy with this theory when I was dealt pocket Aces in my next hand. But beaten by 3 threes… and out of the game.

ElevatorEscapee
08-04-2006, 12:51 PM
WPT is listed as being on again tonight, 10:30 Channel 10, after the footy. (Not listed as a repeat in my guide).

four four two
08-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Tonights episode is the 2nd Hollywood edition I have seen,they are playing for charities plus a spot in the world champs.

Last week Mimi Rogers won[Tom Cruises first wife if the name doesnt ring a bell]...although some of the craziest /luckiest hands were played by Fred Savage[Kevin from the Wonder Years].

Looks like the girls might get a second win this week,but the guy from Home Improvement has a chance...as for Lou diamond Phillips...hes a goner. ;)

four four two
16-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Did anyone see who won last nights episode of Hollywood world poker?:hmm:

Didnt get to see the end of it,Daniel Baldwin and Jennifer Tilly were in the best positions when I last saw it...

ElevatorEscapee
16-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Nope, fell asleep during it, and didn't wake up well into the following movie.

WhiteElephant
16-04-2006, 05:53 PM
I find those celebrity specials a bit boring. Their play is pretty erratic, I prefer to watch the pros. On Foxtel they showed 5 or so of those celebrity specials in a row and it nearly put me off the show completely. There is another Foxtel show of the World Series Poker Tournaments (as opposed to World Poker Tour) where they show the last day of play, not just the final table. This way you get to see all the pros..

Alan Shore
16-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Did anyone see who won last nights episode of Hollywood world poker?:hmm:

Didnt get to see the end of it,Daniel Baldwin and Jennifer Tilly were in the best positions when I last saw it...

Ming-Na won it. The way Daniel Baldwin took out James Woods was kind of funny though.. 'don't mess with the devil!' (he had three 6's).

antichrist
23-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Ming-Na won it. The way Daniel Baldwin took out James Woods was kind of funny though.. 'don't mess with the devil!' (he had three 6's).
would beat 2 pairs of 8 anytime

Jesse Jager
26-04-2006, 03:25 PM
When does the professional season start again on the wpt?

bergil
27-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Has anyone played in the Australian Poker League?

Kerry Stead
28-04-2006, 03:55 AM
Has anyone played in the Australian Poker League?
I've considered it, now that they have started up in Victoria, but I simply haven't had time, with uni, work & my own poker dealing gigs with 'Poker Masters' (Monday & Tuesday nights at Mulgrave Country Club & Caulfield Tabaret if anyone is interested). When I get a night off I might check out the 'opposition'.

Basil
25-05-2006, 06:33 PM
I'd like to poker, one day.

Alan Shore
05-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey, Mark Vos from Brisbane has just won a major WSOP event in Las Vegas, he won $1 million!! :clap:

Mark is already a pro-player that had previously won well over $100,000 from playing online and he's only around 21 years old.

He's actually been over to my place before for a poker game and it was a great experience to play with him.

four four two
05-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Now all you need to do is to convince him to sponsor a chess tournament...;)

Alan Shore
20-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey poker players, do you ever play anything other than Hold'em?

Given my penchant for variants (as in chess).. I now prefer crazy stuff like pineapple, omaha hi-low, double flop, triple draw low etc. etc.

So wondering if it's just me, or if the other variants are popular too.

EZBeet
31-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Just recently been introduced to poker. That weird texas hold'em type. Any one ever go to the casino on weekends?

The 5/10 table is a lot of laughs :hmm:

AlexDavies
11-06-2007, 07:49 AM

I have decided to address this pressing issue at Chess Zombie (http://home.primus.ca/~janetandalex/zombie.html).

Ged
12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I can hear the whail of the monstrous Necrothread

Poker is fun.

WhiteElephant
14-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I have decided to address this pressing issue at Chess Zombie (http://home.primus.ca/~janetandalex/zombie.html).

Cool, I get a mention. Alex, if you don't mind I will use some of the games from your blog as instructional positions for the kids I am teaching. They make nice tactical problems.

AlexDavies
15-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Cool, I get a mention. Alex, if you don't mind I will use some of the games from your blog as instructional positions for the kids I am teaching. They make nice tactical problems.

Yes, use of my blunders is free for educational purposes :)

Actually, using the position following a blunder is pretty good idea for finding instructive positions, but you might want to use players that the kids have heard of, such as Kramnik, Kasparov, Fischer, Rogers or Zaprudsky :)

Ged
15-06-2007, 12:13 PM
nice blog btw