PDA

View Full Version : Clubs working together

Spiny Norman
23-05-2005, 07:56 AM
I have been thinking about how clubs might better co-operate and work together to see more chess played, and especially about how some of the larger clubs might assist the smaller ones nearby (with a minimum of time/effort expended in the process!). Specifically, in my own case, I am thinking about ways that Box Hill or Dandenong clubs might be able to work more closely with our club at Croydon (we are about 20-25 minutes apart, so not particularly close in terms of geography).

One obvious way is to ensure that the clubs don't meet on the same night, so that any cross-pollination between them is non-threatening (e.g. I am a member of Box Hill and Croydon, as are a number of other people). This enables Croydon to strengthen our playing list without leeching players and making the clubs defensive/protective instead of positive/co-operative.

I would be interested to hear from any other clubs on ways that they've found to co-operate with clubs nearby to them.

Lemonv1
26-06-2005, 02:26 AM
I'm not from any club, but one idea could be having joint tournaments, or just casual games sometimes, or things like that.

Spiny Norman
28-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Funny you should mention that ... our club has recently "teamed up" with a neighbouring club and we've organised an annual challenge. Once per year they'll send a team to compete at our venue, and once per year we'll send a team to their venue. A two-round, round-robin challenge I guess. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

The_Wise_Man
30-06-2005, 12:34 AM
In Sydney, we have quite a few of St George members playing at other clubs on other Club nights....

St George have members that are also members and play at Canterbury, Hakoah, Rooty Hill, Mt Pritchard, Cronulla.

Canterbury is the smaller club in the area and it plays on a Monday night with St George meeting on the Tuesday... At various times of the year there are about 5-6 players playing 2 nights a week....

St George and Canterbury have referred people to each others club if a particular person cannot play on the respective club night.

Canterbury also advertised the St George Summer Open last year over the summer period to its members playing at the Canterbury Open. (Thanks Paul).
I think it is a pretty healthy/friendly relationship.

Anthony Keuning, the marathon man of Australian chess, plays at I think at least 3 clubs as well as weekenders... (see Most Active Lists for the last 5 years).

Wise

Trent Parker
30-06-2005, 01:00 AM
In Sydney, we have quite a few of St George members playing at other clubs on other Club nights....

St George have members that are also members and play at Canterbury, Hakoah, Rooty Hill, Mt Pritchard, Cronulla.

Canterbury is the smaller club in the area and it plays on a Monday night with St George meeting on the Tuesday... At various times of the year there are about 5-6 players playing 2 nights a week....

St George and Canterbury have referred people to each others club if a particular person cannot play on the respective club night.

Canterbury also advertised the St George Summer Open last year over the summer period to its members playing at the Canterbury Open. (Thanks Paul).
I think it is a pretty healthy/friendly relationship.

Anthony Keuning, the marathon man of Australian chess, plays at I think at least 3 clubs as well as weekenders... (see Most Active Lists for the last 5 years).

Wise

Would St Georgers be willing to play the Fisher's Ghost at Campbelltown? Well I'm sure George Xie will....

antichrist
30-06-2005, 06:59 PM
What I came across a few years back when getting local clubs co-operating was that organisers/players kept bad blood going back about 30 years and were at each other throats all over again. Don't want to know about it.

ER
09-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Funny you should mention that ... our club has recently "teamed up" with a neighbouring club and we've organised an annual challenge. Once per year they'll send a team to compete at our venue, and once per year we'll send a team to their venue. A two-round, round-robin challenge I guess. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Hi Frosty
Your thoughts are shared by many people who would love to see the Chess community becoming more interactive.
I am sure that Scott from the Melbourne Chess Club is a very staunch exponent of such ideas and would love to have a chat with you on this matter.
Send a message to him (ReelBigFish) and I am sure some arrangements can be made despite distance difficulties etc.
Cheers and good luck! :)

Igor_Goldenberg
09-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Most important for clubs to have different nights or at least not to hold big events simulataneously.

For example Elwood Bendigo Bank championship would not be possible if Melbourne Chess Club did not agree not to hold their traditional Melbourne Cup weekender (which ran successfully for many years).

Igor_Goldenberg
09-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Another useful cooperation between club is to let each other know about troublemakers (people who constantly evade paying their fee, disrupt club life or do other things that jeopardise chess event), but we have to be careful here not to give way to personal vendettas (as well as being aware of a danger to smear someone reputation without merits).

Spiny Norman
21-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi Frosty
Your thoughts are shared by many people who would love to see the Chess community becoming more interactive.
I am sure that Scott from the Melbourne Chess Club is a very staunch exponent of such ideas and would love to have a chat with you on this matter.
Send a message to him (ReelBigFish) and I am sure some arrangements can be made despite distance difficulties etc.
Cheers and good luck! :)
Thanks for the tip. Sorry it took so long to respond, but I have been off the board here for a long time. I will drop Scott a note now. One of the reasons Croydon has not previously sought club-vs-club play against some of the bigger clubs is simply because we didn't have enough really strong players (>1800) to make it worth anyone's while. But that is starting to change now.