PDA

View Full Version : Garry's in the wars

Lucena
19-05-2005, 10:56 AM
He's been having a rough time of it lately. First it was http://www.chessbase.com/newsprint.asp?newsid=2329 and now this: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2393

antichrist
19-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Gee that Kasparov guy and Peter Hanna have a lot in common!

Bill Gletsos
19-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Gee that Kasparov guy and Peter Hanna have a lot in common!Chess ability sure isnt one of those characteristics. :hand:

Thunderspirit
19-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Gee that Kasparov guy and Peter Hanna have a lot in common!

Lots in common. They both can legally move the chess peices, and they are both male.

antichrist
19-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Lots in common. They both can legally move the chess peices, and they are both male.

And get bashed up by thugs and cops at demos.

But I should give him some advice from an old pro. When doing an anti-nuclear demo at the SCC RL football final, I wore a crash helmet, and just as well because copped hundreds of full beer cans. But my unprotected mate copped it.

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I do wonder about the general wisdom of Kasparov's political ventures. I think that the chance of any successes are small and the chance of something more seriously unkind happening to him are considerable. I wonder if his ego as a chess great has gone to his head and he overestimates his prospects.

Duff McKagan
19-05-2005, 09:18 PM
I wonder if his ego as a chess great has gone to his head and he overestimates his prospects.

And Amercian movie "greats" never get to be Governor of California.:hmm:

Denis_Jessop
19-05-2005, 10:09 PM
And Amercian movie "greats" never get to be Governor of California.:hmm:

But B-Grade actors become President of the United States and thereby prolong their career.

I think Kevin is right. Moreover anyone who wants to get involved in current Russian politics must have an overt death wish.

DJ

antichrist
20-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Look what Pauline Hanson "achieved" and look what a lousey person she was. Relatively speaking, Gaz, could end up king of the world.

Kevin Bonham
20-05-2005, 05:54 PM
When it comes to being a political success, superficial celebrity is often an advantage. Being famous for something involving intellectual skill is generally a disadvantage.

antichrist
21-05-2005, 07:49 PM
I disagree, Barry Jones was a very respected person, Gough's towering intellectual was looked up to.

Garry is showing enormous courage in confronting the Russian "mafia" and will win respect for doing so. Only he will have to borrow my tried-and-tested crash helmet.

It is the easy path to fall into the black hole of chess and coming and goings of life. must go

Lucena
02-07-2005, 11:19 PM
And now this!

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2486

antichrist
02-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I think Gary needs the services of 6'6" karate king Matt Sweeney and a few of his mates.

I can remember the Skull opposing some protest and a guy supposedly from the Russian embassey kicked the Christ out of him. And the Skull, a known bully of Asian women, was too afraid to respond. Then again a big Islander kicked the Christ out of him again at the Domain when he was being racist.

PHAT
03-07-2005, 12:58 AM
[Just a lillte disclaimer here in case A/C's story gets misinterpreted. I am not "Skull". He is a neo Nazi ratbag character who does the rounds in Sydney :crazy: ]

antichrist
03-07-2005, 07:40 AM
[Just a lillte disclaimer here in case A/C's story gets misinterpreted. I am not "Skull". He is a neo Nazi ratbag character who does the rounds in Sydney :crazy: ]

Would you take him on if you had to?

PHAT
03-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Would you take him on if you had to?

An odd question - it tends to answer itself. If I had to, then, I would have to. However, since I don't expect that he and I will cross paths in a blind alley during a riot, I guess he will be safe enough. ;)

antichrist
03-07-2005, 06:09 PM
An odd question - it tends to answer itself. If I had to, then, I would have to. However, since I don't expect that he and I will cross paths in a blind alley during a riot, I guess he will be safe enough. ;)

When he was set upon by the Islander the funny part was afterwards he was real upset with us because we did not rush in and drag the guy off him. He thought we were his mates, not realising that we hated his guts and that he deserved whatever he got.

ursogr8
30-10-2005, 08:37 AM
i'm not sure if i should bookmark the forthcoming chess victoria agm in my diary ... just in case DC downsizes his federal presidency aspirations of earlier this year to one suitable for state constituency ... wow i should get arosar to keep his blog on the scent with that ...

You don't happen to have the date of this forthcoming excitementaganza do you 'e'?
I would like to encourage a full representation. ;)

starter

Denis_Jessop
30-10-2005, 05:15 PM
You don't happen to have the date of this forthcoming excitementaganza do you 'e'?
I would like to encourage a full representation. ;)

starter

Is this a case of overt Garry conversion :rolleyes: ? It started with K and now seems to be W :hmm:

DJ

ursogr8
30-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Is this a case of overt Garry conversion :rolleyes: ? It started with K and now seems to be W :hmm:

DJ

Entirely appropriate given the thread title and the suggestion of a Presidency battle.

Rincewind
30-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Entirely appropriate given the thread title and the suggestion of a Presidency battle.

Who are the players in that battle royale?

ursogr8
30-10-2005, 08:28 PM
See 'e' quote from shoutbox in my post #18.

'e' writes in mysterious ways.

four four two
04-11-2005, 12:11 PM
It appears the "civil war" in victorian chess between Wastell and DC over the schools comp might become less civil as DC becomes more bolder...if casualties occur then this war correspondent will try and keep the chess public informed. ;)

four four two
29-11-2005, 04:08 AM
It appears Gary's reinforcements have arrived just in time,with some mortar rounds and better communication in the field the "battle" looks like it will be alot more even. Let the shelling begin. ;)

We have gone from a potential "A horse, a horse,a kingdom for my horse" to "It's only a fleshwound". Hopefully the "supply lines" will remain open for a sustained period,and that Gary's troops hold their nerve in the line of fire. ;)

Spiny Norman
29-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Chess will be the loser if detente cannot be achieved.

four four two
29-11-2005, 12:06 PM
It would appear the opposing "army" has no interest in detente,judging from his scathing comments on this bb. DC doesnt seem to mind burning a few bridges in victoria,he is always looking at new horizons. GW isnt the only fish he would like to fry. ;)

Lucena
29-11-2005, 02:28 PM

DJ

Nice try starter. But you have chosen to ignore one of the "r"s:naughty: :) .

ursogr8
29-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Nice try starter. But you have chosen to ignore one of the "r"s:naughty: :) .

I bet you don't even allow J'adoube unless the apostophe is sounded out. :rolleyes:

Lucena
22-03-2006, 12:24 AM
It looks like it's not just Garry they're after: http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/international/news/20060321p2g00m0in042000c.html

McTaggart
22-03-2006, 08:13 AM
When it comes to being a political success, superficial celebrity is often an advantage. Being famous for something involving intellectual skill is generally a disadvantage.

Especially, Kevin, if you happen to be living in the U.S.Any sign of intellectual ability is death to your political aspirations, just look at what happened to Adlai Stevenson. If they can hang the word "liberal" on you,well that's it,you are finished.

Tomas Kessler
29-03-2006, 09:59 PM
DC is probably the least of GW problems at the moment. May be a case of the past catching up to him:)