December 29 2004 - January 10 2005

Australian Junior Championships
January 13 - 23 2005

$20,000+ of prizes

Venue: Mercure Grand Chalet Mt Buller
- GM's, IM's and Internationals!
- Lucky-prize draws (value $5000+)
- Fantastic accommodation packages
- Daily activities (movies, GM lectures, social events)
- Events and activities for families, siblings and friends
- Non chess events
- Free chair-lift, swimming pool access, sports and much more!

Website coming soon...

Let's hear from everyone what they think of this event. Here is YOUR opportunity to make a differance! Suggestions made here will be able to be actually implemented...what will make this a better tournament??

Let the good ideas roll...

PS. If you answer NO in the poll please post WHY not. If you are STILL CONSIDERING please post what will sway your decision to YES!

skip to my lou
10-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Still considering.

Depends how much it will set me back.

peanbrain
10-01-2004, 04:40 PM
hey guru - I know how much you hate chess parents, so if I get good enough to qualify for the open I'll bring my 85 year old man along to meet you. :twisted:

skip to my lou
10-01-2004, 04:46 PM
You need to "qualify" for an "open" tournament?

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Venue: Mercure Grand Chalet Mt Buller

How iron-clad are arrangements with the venue? It will be something exciting and very different if it goes ahead (as I said last time) - but to build confidence and get the early player commitments flowing it would be good to know clearly that there isn't going to be a repeat of last time. I'm very keen for ACF to give unusual venues like this a go and find out more about what kinds of places players are enthusiastic to play in.

chesslover
10-01-2004, 06:13 PM
What are the indicatative costs for accomadation and entry at the moment?

Also as it is an "open" champs, anyone can enter the title event?

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2004, 06:22 PM
That's how the Open traditionally works. Sometimes there are undercard events for those who just want to play against run of the mill players, but everyone can go in the Open who wants to.

arosar
11-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Chessguru -

Can you please tell me what touristy stuff I can do up on that mountain? Any wineries, clubs, pubs, fine restaurants? I understand this place is a winter resort, right? So is that place still alive a bit during this time of the year?

Sorry to bother you but I do expect a comprehensive list of all these things I need OK. It's just that I don't wanna be bored schitless just eating, sleeping and playing chess.

AR

ChessGuru
12-01-2004, 12:13 PM
In answer to all posts so far:

Peanbrain - we will have plenty of things for old people to do, so please do bring him along! In real life I am very pleasant and charming towards parents, so he probably won’t even notice my deep, hidden agendas

You do not need to qualify for the Open. Anyone can play. There will also be a Minor event which will run for just one week and be limited to Under 1600 players.

Kevin – arrangements are clad in the finest glistening iron. Sponsorship is guaranteed, venue is definite. Should anything happen I’ll sue their pants off.

Chesslover – indicative costs. I will be putting together a variety of packages something along these lines:
Basic package - $660 includes 13 nights accommodation, full buffet breakfasts, use of all hotel facilities and entry to Australian Open and all subsidiary events/activities. This figure is be based on 3 players sharing a room, you can be in a room with players of your choice or enter and I’ll allocate you to a room.
Gold Entry package - $1790 Includes all above, but with just one player in a room so you can bring up to 3 others at no extra charge (family, friends etc) but with only 1 entry to the Events.

Players who are super-keen to play in the event but cannot on financial grounds may apply for a limited number of ‘assistance packages’ which may be available.

Arosar – other things to do on the mountain include;
Mountain bikes, hiking, bushwalking, chair-lift up and down the mountain, squash, basketball, heated pool, gym, sauna, bar in the hotel, no clubs/pubs on the mountain but 20 min drive there are townships with that sort of seedy possibility, also just off the mountain there is fishing, wineries and 4 wheel-driving stuff. There are a few restaurants to choose from, ranging from fine dining to $6 takeaway. Plus there is a supermarket and a few shops, but nothing really to talk about.
Plus the activities at the venue that I’ll be organising each day: movies (chess related and other – request them now!), GM lectures, blitz tournaments, social stuff, non-chess games (bridge, scrabble, Othello, backgammon, chinese chess etc) and lessons in non-chess stuff too.

If there is anything else you’d like please let me know. The majority of those activities will be free for competitors.

Within a week or so there will be a tournament website at www.mindsports.com.au This site will have all the details that you need!

Keep firing the questions and suggestions!

arosar
12-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your reply Chessguru. Not too sure if I'm keen on hiking or bushwalking. Maybe on the rest day I'll do this. I'm really into going out for drinks/partying/dancing after a hard day's chess. Your idea of movies sounds good.

Now can we stay at other, perhaps cheaper, accomodation or are we captive to Mercure? I've found some places on the net that offer rates as low as $15 during the off peak. Mate if you can pull off this $660 package (incl entry) that would be great. Though I'm not confident that you will. For someone like moi with an FT job - it seems reasonable. But what about juniors dude and others who normally get billeted? This is really expensive as it doesn't include things like airfares and food plus the cost of travel between Melb and Mt Buller. (How much does this last one cost btw?) I have a feeling that the junior participation rate will suffer.

Now I got a bit of a question. Was the Mt Buller proposal examined at length prior to its approval at the Conference meeting?

At this moment - not too sure yet of attending. All depends on money and things to do up on that hill. Being a bit of a social guy meself I really need plenty of social activities.

For the rest of youse, here's a link FYI http://www.mtbuller.com.au/

AR

peanbrain
12-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Mate if you can pull off this $660 package (incl entry) that would be great. Though I'm not confident that you will. For someone like moi with an FT job - it seems reasonable. But what about juniors dude and others who normally get billeted? This is really expensive as it doesn't include things like airfares and food plus the cost of travel between Melb and Mt Buller. (How much does this last one cost btw?) I have a feeling that the junior participation rate will suffer.

Now I got a bit of a question. Was the Mt Buller proposal examined at length prior to its approval at the Conference meeting?

AR

Good point AR. Would be interesting to see how many (few) people turn up eventually. Personally I am not keen on going to these "resorts" and become captive audience for rip off prices. The 20 minute drive to the nearest town is a lot further than you think if you haven't got a car - or worse, can't drive!! :(

One thing is for sure, CL will have to take a gold package as we know he can't share bathrooms.

Guru - now that I've done my sums my old man will definately not be coming. While I can afford the prices you've mentioned plus transport and food etc, I don't think I get good value for my money at this event, so good luck to you. :-''

Ian Rout
12-01-2004, 05:53 PM
I think we shouldn't be as pessimistic as peanbrain. The event will be the venue's off-season and the fact that they are reduced to doing deals with chess (and in other seasons doing renovations at this time of year) suggests that it may not be a real sellers' market. When we see the details it may be attractive. And accommodation in inner-city Sydney or Melbourne (or Brisbane or Canberra) isn't cheap either.

Last year I played at the Aust Teams. The combination of the deal that Kerry Corker had done with the venue and the fact that it was possible to comfortably get eight into a unit meant that it didn't need to be expensive. (Though the resort didn't help their public relations by shuffling people around to accommodate the Scottish Rugby Union team in a style somewhat out of proportion to its achievements.)

As arosar notes, the availability of no-frills accommodation either at the venue or nearby will make a difference to many players. One thing that this event will suffer from is the lack of a home crowd to bring up the numbers, but if this sort of venue isn't tried we'll never know if it works.

Kevin Bonham
12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Kevin – arrangements are clad in the finest glistening iron. Sponsorship is guaranteed, venue is definite. Should anything happen I’ll sue their pants off.

Fantastic. :D Hope I can be there.

ChessGuru
12-01-2004, 09:55 PM
More replies:

Arosar – partying/dancing I will have to admit is going to be difficult to come by in Mt Buller. Drinking shouldn’t be a problem, but it will have to be with other geeky chess-types! Perhaps bring along a few other dancing/partying people and you can create your own environment? There will be movies every night plus other activities.

Of course you are free to stay anywhere you like, we cannot force you to stay in the Mercure Hotel! However when comparing accom. costs for the recently concluded Championships in Adelaide it added up as follows:
$40 per night for the cheapest student accommodation
$10 breakfast
$10 per day entry to tournament ($110 entry to tournament)
Total $60 per night
Compare this to the 4 ½ star accommodation at Buller for $50 per night ($660 / 13) with all you can eat breakfast and the tournament entry and it’s looking reasonably good. That is with 3 per room, and if you want more comfort (say 2 per room) it will only be about $70 per night. Billeting is much rarer than you might think, and there will be cheap options available, so I don’t think it will make much difference on the junior front.

Transport: Well, from Adelaide we have a bus going for about $140 return. From Melbourne it will be about $40. Haven’t worked out Sydney or further yet…

So, arosar, would you be interested in being on a social committee to get more social things going? I’d be happy to have the help!

In answer to your question about the examination of the event: a) it was the only proposal available so seemed better than nothing and b) a number of people spent a considerable amount of time considering it and there was extensive discussion at the National Conference and the Council. So in answer I would say “yes”.

Peanbrain – I don’t think you’ll be a captive audience as you might think. Remember this is just one hotel on the mountain, in winter the mountain sees 100,000 people so it is a bit different from a resort island where you literally have no choice!

What price would you suggest as “good value for money”?

Your old man could apply for some of the packages for financially disadvantaged chess players….

Ian – I agree the major factor that will hurt us is the lack of home crowd! But hopefully we can overcome this and get plenty of people travelling.

Garvinator
12-01-2004, 10:02 PM
More replies:

Of course you are free to stay anywhere you like, we cannot force you to stay in the Mercure Hotel! However when comparing accom. costs for the recently concluded Championships in Adelaide it added up as follows:
$10 breakfast
Total $60 per night
Compare this to the 4 ½ star accommodation at Buller for $50 per night ($660 / 13) with all you can eat breakfast and the tournament entry and it’s looking reasonably good. That is with 3 per room, and if you want more comfort (say 2 per room) it will only be about $70 per night. Billeting is much rarer than you might think, and there will be cheap options available, so I don’t think it will make much difference on the junior front.

I think some of your figures are incorrect

there was single room accommodation for $26 per night and entry was $160 not $110

arosar
13-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Arosar – partying/dancing I will have to admit is going to be difficult to come by in Mt Buller. Drinking shouldn’t be a problem, but it will have to be with other geeky chess-types!

Oh no worries. Down in Adelaide I roomed with a coupla what you call "geeky chess-types". But mate, I had an absolutely ball. We went out every night. One was doing what's known as 'body slammers'. I had to tell him to stop.

Of course you are free to stay anywhere you like, we cannot force you to stay in the Mercure Hotel!

I'm glad to hear this.

$10 breakfast

Actually, the cheapest I found, and where I stayed, was at $23/night. I don't particularly mind spartan conditions as, after all, I'm out most of the time.

Mate, if you can lock in all these el-cheapo rates, I think I might just be swayed to come. Cheers dude.

AR

biggles
21-01-2004, 07:51 AM
What if we brought our own caravan or tent. Would this be permitted, or are we going to be forced to live in the chalet. If that is the case then we are being sold a tourist holiday rather than a chess tournament? Does anyone know the answer to this?

arosar
21-01-2004, 08:56 AM
biggles mate . . . see the Guru's response to my question above on first page. You're not forced to live in the chalet. There are other options. Dunno about doing the tent thing do. But it is interesting. I hear that one NSW player once went down to Doeberl and set up camp on some park somewhere.

AR

Garvinator
02-04-2004, 07:11 PM
I think this is the most relevant thread to be discussing entries etc for the australian open at mt buller :lol:

from reading the thread of the history of the mexicans, it is my understanding that our only two gms will most likely not be playing in our australian open.

What a disgraceful situation. this is meant to be australia's leading tournament and our only two grandmasters are either in dispute with the organising committee or are playing overseas at the same time as the australian open is being held.

I dont know how to convey my displeasure at this state of affairs without ranting :(

Bill Gletsos
02-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I think this is the most relevant thread to be discussing entries etc for the australian open at mt buller :lol:

from reading the thread of the history of the mexicans, it is my understanding that our only two gms will most likely not be playing in our australian open.

What a disgraceful situation. this is meant to be australia's leading tournament and our only two grandmasters are either in dispute with the organising committee or are playing overseas at the same time as the australian open is being held.

I dont know how to convey my displeasure at this state of affairs without ranting :(
I think thats an over reaction.
Ian has made it clear he had already accepted aentry to another tournament at the same time. As a professional player I think he has every right to make that decision.
As for Darryl it looks like Cordover and Bekker were offering him two totally different arrangements. No wonder that led to problems.

Garvinator
02-04-2004, 07:24 PM
I think thats an over reaction.

you are entitled to your opinion :lol: ;)

Ian has made it clear he had already accepted aentry to another tournament at the same time. As a professional player I think he has every right to make that decision.
and i dont disagree that it is his right to play wherever he wants. I just would think that the australian open has been advertised for quite a while now, that an australian's players priorities should be to play in our leading tournament.

As for Darryl it looks like Cordover and Bekker were offering him two totally different arrangements. No wonder that led to problems.

this brings me to another point, why dont the acf council organise the major events in australia?

arosar
02-04-2004, 07:35 PM
I just would think that the australian open has been advertised for quite a while now, that an australian's players priorities should be to play in our leading tournament.

Shut your trap gray. You've no clue what you're on about. Ian Rogers is a pro player, kapish? It's one of his main income streams. That means, he must act rationally and selfishly and maximise his own earnings. Geddit?

The onus is on the tourn organisers to make the Open more attractive to Ian.

And let's nor forget, GM Rogers may already be legally bound to the German tourn regardless of where his heart lies. It is the mark of a true pro to make such occassional sacrifices. And finally, don't be bloody questioning GM Rogers' commitment to Aussie chess - or else everyone will surely have your silly queensland git as.s. for brekkie.

AR

jenni
02-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Shut your trap gray. You've no clue what you're on about. Ian Rogers is a pro player, kapish? It's one of his main income streams. That means, he must act rationally and selfishly and maximise his own earnings. Geddit?

The onus is on the tourn organisers to make the Open more attractive to Ian.

And let's nor forget, GM Rogers may already be legally bound to the German tourn regardless of where his heart lies. It is the mark of a true pro to make such occassional sacrifices. And finally, don't be bloody questioning GM Rogers' commitment to Aussie chess - or else everyone will surely have your silly queensland git as.s. for brekkie.

AR

Have to agree with AR on this one. Ian makes himself available for a large number of tournaments in Australia and his commitment to Australian Chess in general, and Junior Chess in particular, is beyond question.

Garvinator
02-04-2004, 07:52 PM
And finally, don't be bloody questioning GM Rogers' commitment to Aussie chess - or else everyone will surely have your silly queensland git as.s. for brekkie.
oh dear, dont go questioning a person because of a title, or you might upset arosar :owned: why you shove your opinion up your cockroach ass then. the main point was that we face a situation that means our two highest rating and only gms may not be playing.

arosar
02-04-2004, 07:53 PM
the main point was that we face a situation that means our two highest rating and only gms may not be playing.

So what?

AR

PHAT
02-04-2004, 08:05 PM
So what?

AR

What = The biggest Open in Australia's history (Thanks Cordover et al.) doesn't have an australian GM in it. The event would be 1000% more salable, reportable and interesting with an OZIOZIOZI OIOIOI angle.

Garvinator
02-04-2004, 08:13 PM
What = The biggest Open in Australia's history (Thanks Cordover et al.) doesn't have an australian GM in it. The event would be 1000% more salable, reportable and interesting with an OZIOZIOZI OIOIOI angle.
thank you matt. finally someone who is seeing where i am headed and part of what my point is.

shaun
02-04-2004, 08:40 PM
this brings me to another point, why dont the acf council organise the major events in australia?
Because to do so needs members/people , and attempts by the ACF to reorganise itself so that it does have members have been torpedoed by NSWCA in recent times and by Mark Stokes and Bill Powell (on behalf of the CAQ) in more distant times.

arosar
02-04-2004, 08:44 PM

Salable to whom? The wider media? Oh puh-lllzzz....

If you mean the likes of you and I and the regular crowd, I'd be quite happy, and I reckon most people are same, just to go and see the gringo GMs.

But the crucial bit about all this really is that the tourn organisers had the onus of attracting the two aussies. Don't blame the players.

AR

Bill Gletsos
02-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Because to do so needs members/people , and attempts by the ACF to reorganise itself so that it does have members have been torpedoed by NSWCA in recent times and by Mark Stokes and Bill Powell (on behalf of the CAQ) in more distant times.
What do you class as recent times as far as the NSWCA is concerned. Certainly the ACF Commision has no such members proposal as part of its structure.

Bill Gletsos
02-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Well the USCF has members and they dont directly organise the US Championships.

shaun
02-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Well the USCF has members and they dont directly organise the US Championships.

Is this "Non causa pro causa" or just "Non sequiter"?

I am saying that to organise a large event a national body needs access to people (ie members). Are you saying that access to people (ie members) prevents a national body from organising a large event?

Bill Gletsos
02-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Is this "Non causa pro causa" or just "Non sequiter"?

I am saying that to organise a large event a national body needs access to people (ie members). Are you saying that access to people (ie members) prevents a national body from organising a large event?
Nice try shaun to put words in my mouth but I not saying any such thing.

You were implying that the fact the ACF is an organisation of state bodies rather than individuals means it must therefore have the states organise its events.
I'm just pointing out that it isnt axiomatic that an organisation that has individual members has to organise its main event.

Garvinator
02-04-2004, 11:46 PM
it appears that the point of my postings have been completely misunderstood or misconstrued. I think this is part of the problem with australian chess even though i have not always agreed with Matthew Sweeney's comments, at least on this issue i have one person that can understand why both australian gm's should be playing in our most prestigious tournament.

Bill Gletsos
02-04-2004, 11:53 PM
it appears that the point of my postings have been completely misunderstood or misconstrued. I think this is part of the problem with australian chess even though i have not always agreed with Matthew Sweeney's comments, at least on this issue i have one person that can understand why both australian gm's should be playing in our most prestigious tournament.
I understood your point, I just dont agree.

Also why post this same message in two threads.
Trying to boost you post count.

Garvinator
02-04-2004, 11:56 PM
I understood your point, I just dont agree.

Also why post this same message in two threads.
Trying to boost you post count.
of course, got to stay away from starter :lol:

the real reason was that i was going to give peanbrain a serve, but wasnt sure of his point, so i just posted my comment there, then realised that it was a post that should have been put here. I kept the post there to so i can be sure that peanbrain sees it ;)

shaun
03-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Nice try shaun to put words in my mouth but I not saying any such thing.

It's a fair cop, guv.

You were implying that the fact the ACF is an organisation of state bodies rather than individuals means it must therefore have the states organise its events.
I'm just pointing out that it isnt axiomatic that an organisation that has individual members has to organise its main event.
But I wasn't making this implication. What I am arguing is that without individual members the ACF cannot organise any large events. As the original question only asked why the ACF doesn't do it, and not who should do it, my answer was sufficiently narrow.

peanbrain
03-04-2004, 12:08 AM
the real reason was that i was going to give peanbrain a serve, but wasnt sure of his point, so i just posted my comment there, then realised that it was a post that should have been put here. I kept the post there to so i can be sure that peanbrain sees it ;)

You call that a serve?! :eek:
More like a double fault!! :whistle:

Garvinator
03-04-2004, 12:09 AM
You call that a serve?! :eek:
More like a double fault!! :whistle:
i have made a new thread regarding ppls questions, plz answer there if you are actually asking serious questions, or are just shit stirring. dont worry peanbrain, you are not being singled out :D

chesslover
03-04-2004, 01:35 AM

Yo Matt

Agree with you mate

One of our 2 GMs should at least be there in the biggest Open in our history mate

is it still too late to induce daryl to go

jase
03-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Yo Matt

Agree with you mate

One of our 2 GMs should at least be there in the biggest Open in our history mate

is it still too late to induce daryl to go

Is it current policy for this knob to use the term "mate" in every post?

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2004, 02:59 AM
Is it current policy for this knob to use the term "mate" in every post?

CL is, or was, trying to convince people that he is AR. He is not doing a terribly good job of it IMHO.

chesslover
03-04-2004, 09:13 AM
CL is, or was, trying to convince people that he is AR. He is not doing a terribly good job of it IMHO.

sheesssh dude way to spoil the fun

I am not AR at all ;)

thanks Kev bruther ;)

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2004, 04:52 PM
sheesssh dude way to spoil the fun

You should give these monodimensional readings of my comments a break. Otherwise you might make people think that you think that I know something. Is that what you really want?

ChessGuru
14-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Already the Mt Buller 2005 Australian Open is set to be the biggest and strongest event of all time in Australia, with 8 confirmed GM players!

Players confirmed as participating in Mt Buller:
GM Shabalov, Alex (2624 - USA)
GM Ehlvest, Jaan (2596 - EST)
GM Mikhalevski, Victor (2550 - ISR)
GM Kengis, Edvins (2562 – LAT)
GM Wojtkiewicz, Aleksander (2559 - USA)
GM Golod, Vitali (2552 - ISR)
GM Kosten, Tony (2507 – FRA)
GM Hecht, Hans-Joachim (2425 – GER)
Plus current Australian Champion IM Lane, Gary (2449 – AUS)

I would like to put a call out to any other players who would like their name added to this list of confirmed entries. Particularly titled players....

Trent Parker
14-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Hey chessguru, i am considering going down to mount buller if i have enough money to go down there. But another issue you might be able to help me with is transport. I am vision impaired and cannot drive because of this vision impairment so:
1) What type of transport arrangements are there to the venue at the start of the tourament and from the venue at the end of the tournament.
2) What is the local transport like in terms of accessing other "touristy" things to do?

arosar
14-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Great questions Trent. Listen, you flying? Let me know, so we can coordinate. Any1 else in Sydney interested in travelling together?

AR

1min_grandmaster
14-04-2004, 11:47 AM
I am seriously considering going to this event. But I am waiting for more details on the tournament conditions. Also, one of my main problems is travel (from Sydney). Want to fly and then not have to travel for too long after landing.

arosar
14-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Want to fly and then not have to travel for too long after landing.

There's nothing you can do mate. The place is bloody 3 hours from Melbourne. I think we may be able to fly directly into Mt Buller but that'll cost a bloody fortune.

PM me your phone number so I can coordinate with you - if you wish. I just checked the flights and there are cheap ones available. As I want to give myself as much time as possible my travel dates will be 28 Dec and 11 Jan.

I'm gonna ring the Guru this avro as I can't be sitting here waiting for him to move his bu.t.t. Those cheap flights are fast disappearing.

AR

Lucena
14-04-2004, 05:59 PM
The place is bloody 3 hours from Melbourne. I think we may be able to fly directly into Mt Buller but that'll cost a bloody fortune.

wouldn't flying directly into mount buller be fatal? :D

Rincewind
14-04-2004, 08:13 PM

Yes, a very "bloody" fortune, one would think. :lol:

chesslover
14-04-2004, 10:10 PM

maybe 9/11 happened due to a similar mixup???? Someone told these english challenged arabs, that they should fly into Washington, and they took it too literally?? :eek:

chesslover
14-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Great questions Trent. Listen, you flying? Let me know, so we can coordinate. Any1 else in Sydney interested in travelling together?

AR

what accomadation you are staying in dear wonderful buddy?

chessguru seems to be offering $600 packages for 13 days but dont know how much a single room costs? $600 covers breakfast, entry and accomadation but no lunch, dinner, snacks or drinks. I don;t know how many people stay in a room for $600 package though

chesslover
14-04-2004, 10:16 PM
the poll option is not working. it gives the option of knight, pawn and castle to the question are you goinh to Mt Buller

Rincewind
14-04-2004, 10:40 PM
the poll option is not working. it gives the option of knight, pawn and castle to the question are you goinh to Mt Buller

I'm hovering between rook and pawn. Do we know which rank the pawn is on? ;)

chesslover
14-04-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm hovering between rook and pawn. Do we know which rank the pawn is on? ;)

you do not understand :confused:

it is irrevelevent which rank the pawn is on. And how the hell would I know anyway?????

The problem is that the options should not be pawn, knight or castle.It should be something like yes, no or maybe

Bill Gletsos
14-04-2004, 10:56 PM
I think he understands perfectly.
It is clearly you who do not understand.

it is irrevelevent which rank the pawn is on. And how the hell would I know anyway?????
Depends on the position and of course we would not expect you to know.

The problem is that the options should not be pawn, knight or castle.It should be something like yes, no or maybe
No s..t sherlock.
We would never have guessed. :whistle:

Rincewind
14-04-2004, 11:00 PM

I think you didn't understand I was being deliberately obtuse with humerous intent. Mr Winky was supposed to make that clear. You know what they say? "A wink's as good as a nudge to a blind bat". :D

Garvinator
15-04-2004, 12:13 AM
I think you didn't understand I was being deliberately obtuse with humerous intent. Mr Winky was supposed to make that clear. You know what they say? "A wink's as good as a nudge to a blind bat". :D
but i think cl needs a baseball bat to the head a few times ;) :lol: :whistle:

Trent Parker
15-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Hey i just looked up the homepage of qantas and apparently they fly from sydney to Mt Hotham. Is Mt Hotham near Mt Buller?

Garvinator
15-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Hey i just looked up the homepage of qantas and apparently they fly from sydney to Mt Hotham. Is Mt Hotham near Mt Buller?
im there right now on qantas site, dont bother, no flights at any time of use to us. I would assume that qantas would only fly to mt hotham during snow season. I dont think december is snow season there :whistle:

pawnsta
15-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Already the Mt Buller 2005 Australian Open is set to be the biggest and strongest event of all time in Australia, with 8 confirmed GM players!

How many players were in the 1988 World Junior in Adelaide?

Ian Rout
15-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Regarding the travel difficulties, if numbers are sufficient would it be feasible for the organisers to charter a bus from Melbourne? Not that it affects me, if I go I'll be driving (well passenging), but just a thought.

arosar
15-04-2004, 09:22 AM
maybe 9/11 happened due to a similar mixup???? Someone told these english challenged arabs, that they should fly into Washington, and they took it too literally?? :eek:

I must admit that really gave me the chuckles. Can you do me a favour though and not criticise Doeberl on behalf of your mate? Btw, what did you think of my Q sac that forced a win?

AR

arosar
15-04-2004, 09:30 AM
what accomadation you are staying in dear wonderful buddy?

chessguru seems to be offering $600 packages for 13 days but dont know how much a single room costs? $600 covers breakfast, entry and accomadation but no lunch, dinner, snacks or drinks. I don;t know how many people stay in a room for $600 package though

I spoke to Mr Cordover yesterday avro. He seems genuinely interested in getting players in and was very helpful and responsive. Anyways, the info I got was still a little too vague so it would be improper for me to share them here at this time.

We could always look for our own accom independently. See www.mtbuller.com.au for more info. Also, the organisers are thinking of providing chartered buses from major locations (ADE, SYD and MEL) - but that is still not certain at this time. So, again, we can always travel on our own. I made some calculations and transport will prolly be around $350 all up.

Anyways, if youse blokes are thinking of flying into MEL, best to secure plane tickets now while cheapies are still plenty available.

AR

Lucena
15-04-2004, 01:43 PM

AR

I am but haven't worked out how exactly yet. Maybe countrylink to Albury (or nearest station) then coach/bus.

Lucena
15-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Regarding the travel difficulties, if numbers are sufficient would it be feasible for the organisers to charter a bus from Melbourne? Not that it affects me, if I go I'll be driving (well passenging), but just a thought.

I got the impression that that was the sort of thing david was intending to do

chesslover
15-04-2004, 09:36 PM
I must admit that really gave me the chuckles. Can you do me a favour though and not criticise Doeberl on behalf of your mate? Btw, what did you think of my Q sac that forced a win?

AR

allright my dear kind hearted friend. I will not criticise Doberl for what they did to my friend. And in the end he too enjoyed it very much and said it was one of the best tournaments he played it.If they had sorted out the cups and the noise and the expensive sausages it would have been perfect. But it was a very enjoyable experience

Your Qsac was very brilliant. I would not have done it as I would have won the slow way and not like you.You are a true pinoy attacking machine :eek:

Trent Parker
15-04-2004, 11:34 PM
I am but haven't worked out how exactly yet. Maybe countrylink to Albury (or nearest station) then coach/bus.

Yeah i'm considering this option as well. It could also be more cost effective for me.

Kevin Bonham
16-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Btw, what did you think of my Q sac that forced a win?

Don't be shy, post it in the Games and Analysis section so we can all enjoy it. :p Or is it up on the Doeberl site?

Amazingly enough in all my tournament experience I've only "sacced" my queen once. And even then it wasn't a real sac but rather a combo where I knew that when everything came out in the wash I would be at least the exchange up.

PHAT
18-04-2004, 12:43 PM

I would like to put a call out to any other players who would like their name added to this list of confirmed entries. Particularly titled players....

Add me to that list. I would like to have 11 half-point byes. THX

Garvinator
18-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Add me to that list. I would like to have 11 half-point byes. THX
pay the entry fee and im sure you can be accommodated, just dont expect a rating prize :whistle:

arosar
21-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Where's that Guru? 'Scuse me Guru, sorry for the bother but you gots any more info mate? What's happenin' down there buddy? Are we still on or what? I can see in TWIC you're still gunning for more GMs/IMs, I see . . . with maybe 10Gs first prize - wow - so optimistic. Also, website up yet or what? mindsports.com.au is very lacking man. It's kinda humiliating to the entire Australian nation and her people, methinks, that youse people can't do a good job with basic net info you know. Even them Czechs, Spaniards, and the Arabs can do a good job.

Can youse get back to us mate?

AR

Oepty
24-04-2004, 01:08 PM
How many players were in the 1988 World Junior in Adelaide?

I was in the SA Chess Center yesterday arbiting a junior event with Alan Goldsmith. He was doing a bit of tiding up and one thing he uncovered was a whole lot of stuff regarding this tournament. There was 52 players in the World Junior including Greg Canfell. Ivanchuk was the only GM to play, although at least ten others have become GM's since. They included Gelfand and Lautier who won the event. I forgot to pick up a list of players like I meant to, but I might be able to do it next Tuesday night if you wish more info. In the Girls junior, Gallimova and Xie Jun both played, Xie Jun won the event.
One of the events run along side the World Juniors was a Young Masters tournament.
Scott

Trent Parker
30-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Hey chessguru, i am considering going down to mount buller if i have enough money to go down there. But another issue you might be able to help me with is transport. I am vision impaired and cannot drive because of this vision impairment so:
1) What type of transport arrangements are there to the venue at the start of the tourament and from the venue at the end of the tournament.
2) What is the local transport like in terms of accessing other "touristy" things to do?

good to see that chessguru is answering questions promptly..... :rolleyes: :wall:

Garvinator
30-04-2004, 12:25 PM
good to see that chessguru is answering questions promptly..... :rolleyes: :wall:
did you really expect anything different?

Trent Parker
30-04-2004, 12:36 PM
fair enough

Garvinator
30-04-2004, 01:26 PM
fair enough
its not fair enough actually mr parker. you asked a question and you deserved an answer, but i guess chessguru would reply that you can always ring him on his phone number.

jenni
30-04-2004, 01:32 PM
This is a good site for gerneral info on Mt Buller

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/

arosar
30-04-2004, 02:28 PM
its not fair enough actually mr parker. you asked a question and you deserved an answer, but i guess chessguru would reply that you can always ring him on his phone number.

Gee...someone's upset today.

AR

Lucena
01-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Yes I generally get the impression that the mobile is the best way to contact David for information-he may not be checking the bb much at the moment maybe

Kevin Bonham
02-05-2004, 12:37 AM
My impression is that David's been more or less snowed under for a while now; also for a while he had some ISP problems.

Trent Parker
10-05-2004, 05:38 PM
hmmm maybe i should send him an email like sweeney did.

eclectic
10-05-2004, 05:52 PM
My impression is that David's been more or less snowed under for a while now; also for a while he had some ISP problems.
Remember Jase's comment about those ISP problems?

something like ...

WWWHHHAAATTT???

:whistle:

eclectic

JGB
27-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Anyone know why our 2 GM's will not be playng in the Aus Championship at the end of the year, start of next year? Or will they??? Sound a bit crazy if the two highest seeded Australians will not be taking part in the nations biggest chess championship of all time.

Garvinator
27-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Anyone know why our 2 GM's will not be playng in the Aus Championship at the end of the year, start of next year? Or will they??? Sound a bit crazy if the two highest seeded Australians will not be taking part in the nations biggest chess championship of all time.
my knowledge is as such- Ian rogers has a previous commitment to play in a tourney in germany and darryl johansen is still negotiating terms and conditions with the organisers.

JGB
27-05-2004, 10:29 PM
my knowledge is as such- Ian rogers has a previous commitment to play in a tourney in germany and darryl johansen is still negotiating terms and conditions with the organisers.

Thanks your help mate,

...by the way do you know which tourney Rogers is looking at playing here (in Germany that is), would like to see if I can be there about the same time if I dont have something planned already.

Garvinator
27-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks your help mate,

...by the way do you know which tourney Rogers is looking at playing here (in Germany that is), would like to see if I can be there about the same time if I dont have something planned already.
sorry cant help on that one, i usually only get my info about this stuff from all the chatter on here.

Ian_Rogers
28-05-2004, 02:46 AM
I'm playing a round-robin GM tournament in Augsburg, beginning December 27.

Ian

Garvinator
28-05-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm playing a round-robin GM tournament in Augsburg, beginning December 27.

Ian
thank you Ian

JGB
28-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Augsburg is only about an hour from here, I will try and get out for a day or two and see a bit of the competion.

Trent Parker
31-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Augsburg is only about an hour from here, I will try and get out for a day or two and see a bit of the competion.

I thought u were coming back to australia "later this year" :lol: :owned:

JGB
31-05-2004, 08:19 PM
I thought u were coming back to australia "later this year" :lol: :owned:

Your not slow are you... :clap: anyway ill be staying a bit longer as we first thought, work reasons etc etc... :( Very early next year we will be arriving back in Australia.

(guess i should change my undertitle the eh!? :hmm: )

Lucena
01-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Someone should get rid of the poll on this thread it's just silly. Why should the knight be winning? Everyone knows the castle is better! But seriously, why is the poll still up there?

Rincewind
01-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Someone should get rid of the poll on this thread it's just silly. Why should the knight be winning? Everyone knows the castle is better! But seriously, why is the poll still up there?

I already did that one here (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=13906&postcount=55). But beware, someone is bound to take you literally.

(Come back, CL, all is forgiven).

eclectic
01-06-2004, 10:25 AM
but gareth,

it's mountainous territory around those them there parts

so the horses would do much better around there (ask mountain cattlemen)

i doubt it would be the place for effective tank (rook) warfare

;)

eclectic

Rincewind
01-06-2004, 11:00 AM
it's mountainous territory around those them there parts

so the horses would do much better around there (ask mountain cattlemen)

i doubt it would be the place for effective tank (rook) warfare

But eclectic, Mt Buller is the end of the world. You know what Reinfeld says about a knight on the rim. ;)

Lucena
04-06-2004, 03:16 PM
But eclectic, Mt Buller is the end of the world. You know what Reinfeld says about a knight on the rim. ;)
both good points :D

Mischa
09-06-2004, 10:14 PM
is the Aus Open happening or not ???????

Garvinator
09-06-2004, 10:24 PM
is the Aus Open happening or not ???????
what are your concerns noidea? the aussie open is happening as far as i know, negotiations are taking place with about 6 gms confirmed already.

jase
10-06-2004, 12:58 AM
what are your concerns noidea? the aussie open is happening as far as i know, negotiations are taking place with about 6 gms confirmed already.

Care to make an estimation as to how many of these confirmed GMs will be at the tournament?

Within a week or so there will be a tournament website at www.mindsports.com.au This site will have all the details that you need!

I thought I'd check out the website this evening to see how it was all going. It says "Site Under Construction".

Garvinator
10-06-2004, 03:44 AM
Care to make an estimation as to how many of these confirmed GMs will be at the tournament?
well done on the 100th reply on this thread ;) as to an estimation of how many of these 'confirmed' gms will be at the tournament, ill take a pass on that one, i think i would have more chance of getting the powerball numbers right or the real chesslover coming up to me and saying that he is chesslover :lol: :owned:

JGB
13-06-2004, 03:53 AM
well done on the 100th reply on this thread ;) as to an estimation of how many of these 'confirmed' gms will be at the tournament, ill take a pass on that one, i think i would have more chance of getting the powerball numbers right or the real chesslover coming up to me and saying that he is chesslover :lol: :owned:

I have heard that 5 have been confirmed and number 6 was a highly likely.

Trent Parker
13-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey can someone pm me Chessguru's email? I would like to email him about my questions several months ago... :rolleyes: :doh: :wall:

Jai
13-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Hey can someone pm me Chessguru's email? I would like to email him about my questions several months ago... :rolleyes: :doh: :wall:
It's on the Minsports site.

cordover@chessworld.com.au

Trent Parker
13-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks Jai

arosar
23-06-2004, 10:20 AM
I got a bit of a question for the Guru. I heard some mutterings up here saying that this Mt Buller event isn't gonna happen at all. What's the go with that?

Also, you must have plenty of dough - what with the 10 grand you spent on the Schools comp. If I were you Iwoulda spent that money on getting more GMs like securing services of the 2 Aussies. Did you really have ten grand or is it just a bit of hocus-pocus?

AR

Commentator
23-06-2004, 12:00 PM
I got a bit of a question for the Guru. I heard some mutterings up here saying that this Mt Buller event isn't gonna happen at all. What's the go with that?

Also, you must have plenty of dough - what with the 10 grand you spent on the Schools comp. If I were you Iwoulda spent that money on getting more GMs like securing services of the 2 Aussies. Did you really have ten grand or is it just a bit of hocus-pocus?

AR

There are mutterings in Victorian resorts as well. The attraction to the resort was the traffic in the off-season to the main venue. Once your compatriots began looking at the internet and finding cheaper accommodation in the valley then the finances get jeopardised. Could all players from the north agree to stay at the premium venue?

C

Garvinator
23-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Could all players from the north agree to stay at the premium venue?

C
no, and that cant be asked anyway. It is illegal to force ppl to stay at a place when they have to pay market rates for the forced place. I guess it is alright if the accommodation is free and part of the package. I would resent having to pay top dollar for a place when there are acceptable and cheaper places near by.

Rincewind
23-06-2004, 12:53 PM
no, and that cant be asked anyway. It is illegal to force ppl to stay at a place when they have to pay market rates for the forced place. I guess it is alright if the accommodation is free and part of the package. I would resent having to pay top dollar for a place when there are acceptable and cheaper places near by.

How can it be illegal? I thought it was the FIDE endorsed approach. :eek:

Garvinator
23-06-2004, 12:54 PM
How can it be illegal? I thought it was the FIDE endorsed approach. :eek:
that says everything doesnt it :p ;) :whistle: :uhoh: using fide as an example sheesh

Kevin Bonham
23-06-2004, 11:26 PM

I do distantly remember there is some kind of law about something to do with that - selling stuff on the condition that the purchaser has to purchase an unrelated product. There is a technical term for it - does anyone know what it is?

Garvinator
23-06-2004, 11:34 PM
I do distantly remember there is some kind of law about something to do with that - selling stuff on the condition that the purchaser has to purchase an unrelated product. There is a technical term for it - does anyone know what it is?
on the point you raise, hasnt the american courts ruled against microsoft for a similar issue- packaging items together to increase market share type deals. Well the australian open deals that have been discussed here would be very similar. basically it would be a case of you can play in the aussie open, as long as you accept our accommodation deals. If i understand it correctly.

Kevin Bonham
23-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks, that mention of Micro$oft has jogged my memory now. The term is "third line forcing". This from the ACCC website:

"Third line forcing is a specific form of exclusive dealing prohibited outright by the Trade Practices Act. It is not subject to the substantial lessening of competition test. It involves the supply of goods or services on condition that the purchaser buys goods or services from a particular third party, or a refusal to supply because the purchaser will not agree to that condition."

This is an important thing for chess admins to be aware of when assessing bid proposals - I'll be keeping an eye on this issue at Council in future.

jay_vee
23-06-2004, 11:50 PM
What if you don't force staying at the venue, merely "encourage it", as FIDE has done in the past, by charging people who chose to stay elsewhere exra for use of the facilities?

Garvinator
23-06-2004, 11:54 PM
What if you don't force staying at the venue, merely "encourage it", as FIDE has done in the past, by charging people who chose to stay elsewhere exra for use of the facilities?
can ppl stop using fide as an example. their practices have been ruled illegal and unethical in the past by many organisations like the united nations.

Garvinator
24-06-2004, 12:05 AM
hmm things seem to be changing here, who is playing thread police, that is my job :D

Bill Gletsos
24-06-2004, 12:13 AM
can ppl stop using fide as an example. their practices have been ruled illegal and unethical in the past by many organisations like the united nations.
Can you provide a specific case.

jay_vee
24-06-2004, 12:15 AM

Does that include this particular practice? If so, I'd be very interested in more details. Do you have a link where I could read up on that?

Garvinator
24-06-2004, 12:16 AM
well unethical would be the decision to play karpov v kamsky in 96 in baghdad while un sanctions were in place. Not sure if illegal but was definetely condemned by everyone. How about the current situation involving libya?

Bill Gletsos
24-06-2004, 12:44 AM
well unethical would be the decision to play karpov v kamsky in 96 in baghdad while un sanctions were in place. Not sure if illegal but was definetely condemned by everyone. How about the current situation involving libya?
You claimed FIDE's practices were deemed illegal and/or unethical by the UN.
This does not appear to be the case.
Certainly the UN has made no comment regarding the current WC in Libya.
I dont recall them commenting on the matter of Karpov V Kampsy either.

As I said provide an actual reference.

Garvinator
24-06-2004, 12:52 AM
cant quote an actual situation at this stage, but the point is the same. In 1996, united nations sanctions were in place which were in theory supposed to prevent events being organised by world organisations in Iraq. Quite a few national chess countries (cant name the exact amount), russia is the one that i remember mostly, wrote letters condemning fide's decision in this matter.

Ian Rout
24-06-2004, 08:52 AM
I think it is drawing a fairly long bow to equate quoting a package price incorporating entry fee and accommodation amounts with forcing people to use a particular accommodation option, except perhaps for people with an inability to handle subtraction (or to use a calculator). There are also currently no UN sanctions against Mt Buller or Victoria so I don't think the circumstances are comparable.

However if the organisers did in fact attempt to make a particular accommodation option an actual or effective condition of entry then in that case I would expect ACF to immediately shift the event elsewhere.

Though I would have thought the best way to encourage people to use the venue would be to announce the packages.

Rincewind
24-06-2004, 09:37 AM

I don't know about the UN being involved - that was GG's claim. But I was alluding to the outrage w.r.t the 2003 European Individual Championships is Silviri, Turkey. The details of which are on the public record.

This and similar dubious practices by FIDE provide a major impetus for the forming of organisations of chess players which are separate to and in many cases in opposition with FIDE.

jay_vee
24-06-2004, 09:59 AM
True, the Turkish Chess Federation (and along with it the European Chess Union) has been widely criticized for requiring the players to stay at the venue. However, iirc, that was mainly because instead of being offered a package at a reduced price, the rates asked were actually higher than what the hotel in question would normally charge. Only the combination of these rip-off rates and the compulsory stay at the venue got most players upset.

As an aside: FIDE, for once, had nothing to do with this.

Garvinator
24-06-2004, 01:57 PM
There are also currently no UN sanctions against Mt Buller or Victoria so I don't think the circumstances are comparable.
you sure ;) :lol: :uhoh:

Ian Rout
24-06-2004, 02:34 PM
you sure ;) :lol: :uhoh:
Reasonably sure, but I could be wrong.

My concern is that if we start off saying that AO05 looks like a disorganised mess then from there jump to accusing it of breaches of the Trade Practices Act and other criminal actions, defying United Nations conventions and sanctions, possessing weapons of mass destruction and harbouring terrorists etc etc, then we may find ourselves being relieved rather than concerned to discover that it is merely disorganised.

jenni
24-06-2004, 03:13 PM
There are mutterings in Victorian resorts as well. The attraction to the resort was the traffic in the off-season to the main venue. Once your compatriots began looking at the internet and finding cheaper accommodation in the valley then the finances get jeopardised. Could all players from the north agree to stay at the premium venue?

C

The problem is, is it is too expensive for families. Not all juniors who play chess come from affluent families and go to private schools. Many are making huge sacrifices in order to have their child play and attend the Aus Juniors. Often there is only 1 child from the family playing and the other children find their family holidays sacrificed in order to provide the time and money to take the chess kid to a 2 week tournament. The accommodation the ACTJCL has found results in a 50% saving.

The other problem is there has been no proper information from David, so impossible to do proper comparison. It appears that the $40 per night he has been quoting might be based on 3 people to a room. Many people go in 2 person units i.e a mother or a father, and a child. If the prices are based on 3 to a room, they might either have to have a stranger in with them, or pay even more.

Also if you are travelling as a family unit, you don't want to spend 2 weeks stuck in an hotel room. Most families going to the Aus Juniors, look for apartments. While it appears that some of the rooms at the Mercure have cooking facilities, not everyone will get that. So people are also lookng to have good cooking facilities. This is not just a money saving necessity, but a health one as well. You don't want your kids eating salty, fatty food for 2 weeks straight.

The lodge that the ACTJCL has booked only provides accommodation for a small number of the likely ACT people who are going. Many of the others who are going might stay at the Mercure, if they get proper information. The longer DC leaves it before coming out with explicit information, the more likely people will find alternate accommodation that is more suitable for children.

arosar
24-06-2004, 03:38 PM
The other problem is there has been no proper information from David, so impossible to do proper comparison.

That's the main effing problem, ain't it? <snip> We've been promised more info, but none forthcoming for months now. I'm telling youse, this will be a big disaster I reckon.

AR

jenni
24-06-2004, 03:53 PM
That's the main effing problem, ain't it? <snip> We've been promised more info, but none forthcoming for months now. I'm telling youse, this will be a big disaster I reckon.

AR

It is certainly starting to get more than a little irritating.....

Rincewind
24-06-2004, 05:25 PM
True, the Turkish Chess Federation (and along with it the European Chess Union) has been widely criticized for requiring the players to stay at the venue. However, iirc, that was mainly because instead of being offered a package at a reduced price, the rates asked were actually higher than what the hotel in question would normally charge. Only the combination of these rip-off rates and the compulsory stay at the venue got most players upset.

As an aside: FIDE, for once, had nothing to do with this.

Perhaps that is par for the course. I seem to remember similar accusations from the 2001 Eu Ind Championships in Ohrid, FYRoM. I couldn't google anything quickly on that.

Garvinator
24-06-2004, 07:36 PM
It is certainly starting to get more than a little irritating.....
jenni, i have been looking for information myself without referring to davids suggestions. Blatantly i am trying to go and arrange details while paying as little as possible, i have a debit card, so i can pay internet rates.

I see the actjcl is way ahead of me on arranging details, could you send me a pm or email with what you have found so far and recommend as I dont know the layout of Mt buller at all. I would be travelling as one person, no children.

Kevin Bonham
24-06-2004, 09:17 PM
However if the organisers did in fact attempt to make a particular accommodation option an actual or effective condition of entry then in that case I would expect ACF to immediately shift the event elsewhere.

Something like this was originally proposed regarding the Schools final. It did get thrown out but not immediately.

I agree - there's a big difference between recommending an option and only offering one as part of an entry fee.

Garvinator
24-06-2004, 09:32 PM
ill give three situations: two are completely legal and usually recommended practice, the third one is illegal.

1) The organisers offer a package for a price that includes accommodation, entry fee and other extras (such as travel from melbourne to mt buller). They recommend this as their preferred option but dont ban anyone from arranging plans themselves. If the person organises things themselves, they dont occur any penalty for doing it that way. usually money has to be paid early for this.

Entirely Legal

2) The organisers inform prospective clients that the organisers have secured hotel accommodation at a reduced price, usually subject to length of stay or number of ppl staying at the hotel. Prospective clients are free to stay somewhere else but will have to pay general market rates.

Entirely Legal

3) the organisers tie a package together covering entry fee, accommodation etc and say that if you dont accept our package, you cant play in the tournament.

This is an illegal practice.

jay_vee
25-06-2004, 02:06 AM
3) the organisers tie a package together covering entry fee, accommodation etc and say that if you dont accept our package, you cant play in the tournament.

This is an illegal practice.

What if they say, you can play, but will have to pay an extra hundred dollars to your entry fee for use of the playing hall, "organizing costs", etc. This could be factored into the offered package, i.e. those players who book the package get their entry fee, which is deliberately set high, reduced. Surely, this would be legal?

Alan Shore
25-06-2004, 02:26 AM
What if they say, you can play, but will have to pay an extra hundred dollars to your entry fee for use of the playing hall, "organizing costs", etc. This could be factored into the offered package, i.e. those players who book the package get their entry fee, which is deliberately set high, reduced. Surely, this would be legal?

Sounds like discrimination, therefore not legal.

jay_vee
25-06-2004, 05:13 AM
Discrimination? Because players are being offered a reduced-prize package including a room at the venue? This is offered to everyone, and players are allowed to stay somewhere else. Obviously, those who don't book the reduced-prize package are not entitled to the reduction. I'd be surprised if that could be construed as discrimination.

btw, I don't think it should be done, but that it could be done.

Ian Rout
25-06-2004, 09:14 AM
While I'm not a lawyer, I'm not aware of any law against "discrimination" in a general sense, only on specific grounds such as sex or race. So in selecting between job applicants an employer may not discriminate on the basis of sex but may discriminate on the basis of competence. Chess tournaments "discriminate" by offering different conditions, such as free entry to GMs, or extra prizes for U1400s.

I don't see why it would be illegal or immoral for a private tournament to specify that players stay at a particular venue; something like a Hilton Residents' Championship by definition includes such a requirement. This doesn't seem any different from, e.g. the Canberra Raiders giving away free tickets to people who present bar codes from the sponsor's milk cartons. The point is that for the Australian Open it would not be appropriate to exclude people who choose to stay at other venues.

Having said that, if I go I would prefer, other things being reasonably equal, to stay at the venue if the organisers would give us some details.

Alan Shore
25-06-2004, 05:42 PM
I suppose you're right, it probably is within their right to do it. Still it won't make them very popular.. it's simply a variation on a theme of forcing people stay at a particular place. Personally I don't see the attraction of going all the way out there, is it really worth the expense for a bit of chess? Save it and go play some top weekender tourns like Uni Open, GC Open or Doeberl.

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2004, 10:04 PM
While I'm not a lawyer, I'm not aware of any law against "discrimination" in a general sense, only on specific grounds such as sex or race.

This is correct. I know about this because my partner has worked in an agency policing discrimination laws. Discrimination laws include a set list of attributes on which discrimination is forbidden but do not include a general prohibition on even unreasonable discrimination beyond that. The list of attributes can be quite long and obscure (the Tassie version has about 20 different grounds) but something like this would not be covered.

Damn shame really, I'd love to take Qantas (oh, and 5000 others) to court for discrimination against people who don't own credit cards.

Garvinator
25-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Damn shame really, I'd love to take Qantas (oh, and 5000 others) to court for discrimination against people who don't own credit cards.
i would love to get the companies that offer cheap accommodation on the internet, but you need to get a credit card to get the reduced price, as i found out to my disgust recently. thank goodness a friend was able to point me in the direction of a debit card, so i didnt have to sign up and apply for a credit card :evil:

Bill Gletsos
25-06-2004, 11:49 PM
i would love to get the companies that offer cheap accommodation on the internet, but you need to get a credit card to get the reduced price, as i found out to my disgust recently. thank goodness a friend was able to point me in the direction of a debit card, so i didnt have to sign up and apply for a credit card :evil:
There is no real difference between a debit card and a credit card if you pay you credit card bill in full when you get it.
Or is it the case that you cannot control your spending with a credit card?

Garvinator
25-06-2004, 11:56 PM
There is no real difference between a debit card and a credit card if you pay you credit card bill in full when you get it.
Or is it the case that you cannot control your spending with a credit card?
i was more eluding to the fact that if you have a credit card and someone gets your details, they can run up a rather large bill. This is a little more difficult with a debit card if you only have a small amount on it.

Bill Gletsos
26-06-2004, 12:15 AM
i was more eluding to the fact that if you have a credit card and someone gets your details, they can run up a rather large bill. This is a little more difficult with a debit card if you only have a small amount on it.
Maybe, but the consumer is still fairly safe.
If the crook uses a copy of your card or even your otiginal card then any signature wont be yours , hence you are not liable, and many credit organisations (e.g amex) have automatic protection for the card holder even if their details are used online.

Garvinator
26-06-2004, 12:18 AM
Maybe, but the consumer is still fairly safe.
If the crook uses a copy of your card or even your otiginal card then any signature wont be yours , hence you are not liable, and many credit organisations (e.g amex) have automatic protection for the card holder even if their details are used online.
im happy with my debit card and that will do me for the time being ;) unless mr cordovers accommodation packages wont allow payment at mt buller for internet deals :lol: :eek: :hmm:

ursogr8
26-06-2004, 11:15 AM
As the GURU is the initiator of this thread, could he now please change the title of the thread given that the venue planned is now different from Mt Buller.
tks

starter

jenni
26-06-2004, 11:57 AM
As the GURU is the initiator of this thread, could he now please change the title of the thread given that the venue planned is now different from Mt Buller.
tks

starter

OK I've heard this as well from someone else - would you like to give us more information and does it affect all tournaments i.e. Schools, Juniors and Open?

Ian Rout
26-06-2004, 02:10 PM
If what is being hinted at above is correct (and I think starter should have his finger on the pulse) this is the second time in three years that ACF's flagship event has hit a rock. I wonder if the time may have come to look at a permanent home for the Australian Open/Championship? Not necessarily a specific building, but at least a city or region.

The place that comes to mind is Brisbane / Gold Coast which has an existing chess infrastructure and an enthusiastic playing base to provide a home crowd. It is also a major population and business centre, providing the possibility of ongoing corporate sponsorship, but avoiding the Sydney v Melbourne thing that would inevitably arise if either of those sites were adopted.

Apart from the general desirability of not living from day to day with such an event, a fixed base would allow proceedings to be overseen by a designated ACF official resident in the area, providing continuity and experience.

During the twentieth century it was common for national championships (Soviet, US, UK come to mind) to rotate. Given this history and the general democratic notion of everyone having a go it is understandable that we have done the same. However there may be a need to move on.

This is probably a new topic in its own right but I didn't start one in case nobody wants to talk about it, feel free to move it.

Paul S
26-06-2004, 02:27 PM
I wonder if the time may have come to look at a permanent home for the Australian Open/Championship? Not necessarily a specific building, but at least a city or region.

Ian

I have played in the last two Doeberl Cups. Based on my experiences there, IMHO you guys in Canberra KNOW how to run SUCCESSFUL big tournaments!!!

So, why not have Canberra as the home for the Australian Championships/Open?

Heck (depending on work commitments), I may very well play in an Australian Championship/Open if it was based in Canberra (based on the good organisation you Canberrans have done at the Doeberl!).

By playing the Australian Championships/Open in Canberra would also have the advantages of 1) being played in Australia's capital city and 2) avoid Sydney versus Melbourne rivalry.

jenni
26-06-2004, 02:45 PM
I wonder if the time may have come to look at a permanent home for the Australian Open/Championship? Not necessarily a specific building, but at least a city or region.

The place that comes to mind is Brisbane / Gold Coast which has an existing chess infrastructure and an enthusiastic playing base to provide a home crowd. It is also a major population and business centre, providing the possibility of ongoing corporate sponsorship, but avoiding the Sydney v Melbourne thing that would inevitably arise if either of those sites were adopted.

I've been told the problem with the Gold Coast is cost of accommodation in December/ January which is peak holiday time. This is probably less of an issue in Brisbane. The only problem with having it in the same place all the time is the workload on the same people.

Ian Rout
26-06-2004, 03:04 PM
I suggested SE Qld rather than Canberra because Qld is superior on the points they have in common, plus the possibility of corporate sponsorship, though as the national capital Canberra must be an option too. Whether people would accept Canberra having two major events is a possible issue.

Jenni's points are also valid though an answer to Gold Coast accommodation is that while we think about venue we could also think of dates other than New Year.

Bill Gletsos
26-06-2004, 03:52 PM
If what is being hinted at above is correct (and I think starter should have his finger on the pulse) this is the second time in three years that ACF's flagship event has hit a rock.
Actually it would turn out to be the same damn rock.
The previous rock was also the proposal at Mt. Buller.

Bill Gletsos
26-06-2004, 03:53 PM
I've been told the problem with the Gold Coast is cost of accommodation in December/ January which is peak holiday time. This is probably less of an issue in Brisbane. The only problem with having it in the same place all the time is the workload on the same people.
And of course the travel costs for the same people.

eclectic
26-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Actually it would turn out to be the same damn rock.
The previous rock was also the proposal at Mt. Buller.
Unlke starter I've been off the pulse due to the flu (or whatever).

Can someone please fill me in on what is going on with this floundering flagship?

Please point me to the relevant thread or post.

Thanks

eclectic

ursogr8
26-06-2004, 04:12 PM
OK I've heard this as well from someone else - would you like to give us more information and does it affect all tournaments i.e. Schools, Juniors and Open?

hi jenni

I understand the GURU is arguing that he has the baton and just because the orchestra will probably play at another venue it doesn't represent a change in promoter.

May need to look at the fine-print of the ACF motion of acceptance.

Did it say "Over to you GURU, and it would be nice at that time of year at Mt Buller"?
Or did it say "GURU's promotion is accepted provided we ski on the grass at Buller"?

starter

Bill Gletsos
26-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Unlke starter I've been off the pulse due to the flu (or whatever).

Can someone please fill me in on what is going on with this floundering flagship?

Please point me to the relevant thread or post.

Thanks

eclectic
Starter said the following in a previous post in this thread:

As the GURU is the initiator of this thread, could he now please change the title of the thread given that the venue planned is now different from Mt Buller

That is what the above posts have been commenting on.

ursogr8
26-06-2004, 04:19 PM

The guys at the Melbourne Chess Club have a proven track record over many years and successful events. Their key shakers and movers are still around. (Although firegoat7's absence is missed by all).

starter

ursogr8
26-06-2004, 04:22 PM
By the way, I have just voted in the poll on this thread. No-one can accuse me of rushing to an early decision. :uhoh:

starter

arosar
26-06-2004, 06:16 PM
If this is true...I wonder what kinda bullschit this bloke is up to? How do you expect us to make proper travel plans? What of those who have already made bookings? FMD!! This has got to be the biggest joke in all of Australian chess history. I reckon we should all boycott this event to express our dissatisfaction.

AR

Bill Gletsos
26-06-2004, 06:33 PM
If this is true...I wonder what kinda bullschit this bloke is up to? How do you expect us to make proper travel plans? What of those who have already made bookings? FMD!! This has got to be the biggest joke in all of Australian chess history. I reckon we should all boycott this event to express our dissatisfaction.

AR
Before jumping to conclusions as you are wont to do and making rash statements, perhaps you should wait for the facts to emerge.

arosar
26-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Before jumping to conclusions as you are wont to do and making rash statements, perhaps you should wait for the facts to emerge.

Before jumping to conclusions did you read, If this is true...

Bill Gletsos
26-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Before jumping to conclusions did you read, If this is true...
The only comment made by starter was that the venue was changing.
That does not explain much at at all.
Therefore that neither you nor I know anymore about it than that then it would seem wise to wait for all the facts to emerge rather than making suggestions of boycotts.

arosar
26-06-2004, 07:26 PM
That does not explain much at at all.

Pay attention! It explains a lot. Rumours don't start for nothin' Bill. It's just one more minus notch to an ever increasing pile of crap: lack of info, argument with a GM, disorganisation, questionable venue, etc., etc.

People are increasingly becoming unhappy Bill. How else to express that unhappiness, eh mate?

AR

Bill Gletsos
26-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Pay attention! It explains a lot. Rumours don't start for nothin' Bill. It's just one more minus notch to an ever increasing pile of crap: lack of info, argument with a GM, disorganisation, questionable venue, etc., etc.
Yes, but often there is also a lot of misinformed crap involved in the very rumours. Less than 12 hours before nominations closed for the Olympiad teams I heard rumors from someone you would describe as a reliable source that a significant number of our top 10 players were not applying. This turned out to be totally false.
Therefore thats why I am saying we should all wait to hear what is in fact happening before making any uninformed statements and calls for boycotts.

People are increasingly becoming unhappy Bill. How else to express that unhappiness, eh mate?
Boycotting events wont help their cause.
That would simply penalise others who would need to recover from the situation.

Garvinator
26-06-2004, 10:22 PM
ok from reading this information today, can someone tell me where the 2005 aussie open championships will be held? I am starting to make enquiries for accommodation and flight schedules and would like to know for certain where to start looking.

Bill Gletsos
26-06-2004, 10:25 PM
ok from reading this information today, can someone tell me where the 2005 aussie open championships will be held? I am starting to make enquiries for accommodation and flight schedules and would like to know for certain where to start looking.
I would assume if anyone actually knew for certain that the Mt Buller event was off and what then is happening they would have already said so.

ursogr8
27-06-2004, 09:05 AM
I would assume if anyone actually knew for certain that the Mt Buller event was off and what then is happening they would have already said so.

Bill, lets take 'anyone' one at a time.
The GURU.
He may know what your asking but he may be in negotiation to make it firm.
Gazza
He may know what your asking but he may be in rescue mode.
jammo
He may know what your asking but he has not posted for a while.
starter
He may know what your asking but he may be in an alternate bid.

See, there are lots of doubts. I don't think you should have assumed what you have assumed.
I think you said in an earlier post, it is dangerous to jump to conclusions.
But, it is also wise to plan for contingencies.

starter

ps Perhaps jammo does not know we have moved to chesskit. :eek: . Has he posted on the new BB?

jenni
27-06-2004, 09:48 AM
This is where chess looks incredibly unprofessional. The ACF handed over the rights to 3 competitions to Cordover. The Junior bodies were not consulted and in fact when NSW Junior people at the ACF meeting in January protested, they were dismissed, because the needs of the seniors and the needs of the Australian Open were paramount.

A schools comp should be held in a school environment. A Junior competition should be held in as junior-friendly an environment as possible. The ACT would struggle to find a good environment for the Aus Juniors, although we are currently looking at possibilities, so we sympathise where that presents difficulties. However Victoria would have a large number of suitable venues - it was only the insistence on lumping all 3 together, that caused problems.

However having been presented with a done deal in January, the Juniors made do (apart from insisting on certain conditions being preserved). The ACTJCL has been advising our parents and juniors, booking accommoation, telling all the schools where thei rep teams were going. 3 of our 4 schools divisions are pretty much finalised - I am just about to go off to run the semi-finals of our Open Primary playoffs. Only our Open High schools is left.

We now have to go back to our people and tell them that it is all off. In 5 months time we are expecting them to take their school teams to an unknown destination at an unknown time.

It just sucks. :evil:

ursogr8
27-06-2004, 09:55 AM

We now have to go back to our people and tell them that it is all off. In 5 months time we are expecting them to take their school teams to an unknown destination at an unknown time.

It just sucks. :evil:

jenni

David needs to be contacted by you by telephone before you make alternate plans.
His lack of info. here, or elsewhere public, needs to be resolved.

starter

eclectic
27-06-2004, 03:52 PM
jenni

David needs to be contacted by you by telephone before you make alternate plans.
His lack of info. here, or elsewhere public, needs to be resolved.

starter

just accessed

http://www.mindsports.com.au

MIND SPORTS AUSTRALIA

Site Under Construction

info@mindsports.com.au

either there's an upgrade underway (HOPEFULLY!!??)
or the plug is being pulled

i'm sure there was more than this on the page
the last time i visited a few months back

eclectic

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Bill, lets take 'anyone' one at a time.
The GURU.
He may know what your asking but he may be in negotiation to make it firm.
Gazza
He may know what your asking but he may be in rescue mode.
jammo
He may know what your asking but he has not posted for a while.
starter
He may know what your asking but he may be in an alternate bid.

See, there are lots of doubts. I don't think you should have assumed what you have assumed.
Well it would seem you knew something more than what you implied in your first post on this.

I think you said in an earlier post, it is dangerous to jump to conclusions.
But, it is also wise to plan for contingencies.
Yes, but it would appear that those that knew something and post on this BB chose not to post anything and your only contribution was not really illuminating other than to take a shot at the GURU about the thread title now being incorrect.

ps Perhaps jammo does not know we have moved to chesskit. :eek: . Has he posted on the new BB?
You are being very forgetful.
Virtually all of the firegoat V jammo re MCC was on this BB and not the old ACF BB.

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2004, 08:16 PM
This is where chess looks incredibly unprofessional. The ACF handed over the rights to 3 competitions to Cordover. The Junior bodies were not consulted and in fact when NSW Junior people at the ACF meeting in January protested, they were dismissed, because the needs of the seniors and the needs of the Australian Open were paramount.
Actually it wasnt just the juniors and schools. The NSW delegates to the National Conference were instructed to do all that they could to try and get a decision on the whole Mt. Buller package delayed so it could be considered in a timely manner rather than a rushed decision made.
Unfortunately NSW got no support on a motion regarding this or on 2 other motions that were variations on it.

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2004, 08:20 PM
If as it appears from starters posts that Mt. Buller is dead, it does not automatically mean that it will be organised by CV at another venue.
The ACF accepted the Mt. Buller bid explicitly.
Therefore I suspect the ACF would request new bids for all events from the states.
CV could then issue new bids for the various events along with any other states that may wish to do so.

Garvinator
27-06-2004, 08:30 PM
give perth another go ;) :whistle: :uhoh:

eclectic
27-06-2004, 09:02 PM
You are being very forgetful.
Virtually all of the firegoat V jammo re MCC was on this BB and not the old ACF BB.

I'm sure starter meant since the name change to chesschat.org

Has Jammo posted since then ?

eclectic

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2004, 09:06 PM

eclectic
jammo's an intelligent chap so I'm sure he could have worked it out if he wanted to.

eclectic
27-06-2004, 09:11 PM
jammo's an intelligent chap so I'm sure he could have worked it out if he wanted to.

indeed he is most intelligent ...

these days he sticks mainly to tennis !!

;)

eclectic

samspade
27-06-2004, 09:35 PM
This is correct. I know about this because my partner has worked in an agency policing discrimination laws. Discrimination laws include a set list of attributes on which discrimination is forbidden but do not include a general prohibition on even unreasonable discrimination beyond that. The list of attributes can be quite long and obscure (the Tassie version has about 20 different grounds) but something like this would not be covered.

Damn shame really, I'd love to take Qantas (oh, and 5000 others) to court for discrimination against people who don't own credit cards. :owned: :clap:

ursogr8
27-06-2004, 09:42 PM

eclectic

Thanks 'eclectic'. That is what I meant, but I did not express it accurately; so no criticism due to Bill for being misled.

When we switched to chessschat.org I lost access (except for guest status) from my home Windows 95 56k set-up (don't laugh all you broadbanders). This persisted for a couple of weeks and Jeo was very helpful and patient to restore normal updating.
I had previously posted a question in FEEDBACK to K. asking if had noticed a drop-off in posts-per-day in case other posters had also lost access but did not have sufficient urge to e-mail for assistance. jammo may be one of those.

starter

ursogr8
27-06-2004, 09:57 PM
If as it appears from starters posts that Mt. Buller is dead, it does not automatically mean that it will be organised by CV at another venue.
The ACF accepted the Mt. Buller bid explicitly.
Therefore I suspect the ACF would request new bids for all events from the states.
CV could then issue new bids for the various events along with any other states that may wish to do so.

Bill

A good post of yours; and clears up the questions I asked in post #155. Thanks.

Next question, if you wish, ...does the ACF act like the IOC ....like they monitor progress in Athens? Now I know you cannot gravy-train it down to Ormond nor Mt Buller, to inspect progress; but does the ACF call for periodic reports from the GURU for him to say things like "all's well', or "errr ummm"?
How do we know how it is going if he will not post here or on his own web-site?

starter

Garvinator
27-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Bill
A good post of yours; and clears up the questions I asked in post #155. Thanks.

Next question, if you wish, ...does the ACF act like the IOC ....like they monitor progress in Athens? Now I know you cannot gravy-train it down to Ormond nor Mt Buller, to inspect progress; but does the ACF call for periodic reports from the GURU for him to say things like "all's well', or "errr ummm"?
starter
so i take it then that making plans for mt buller would be a bad idea :whistle:

ursogr8
27-06-2004, 10:05 PM
so i take it then that making plans for mt buller would be a bad idea :whistle:

'ragy''ragy'

The GURU has the answers.

starter

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2004, 11:25 PM
The bid was given to CV not to Cordover.
Given the ACF Deputy President is influential in CV then he would obviously keep the ACF informed of progress.

Kevin Bonham
28-06-2004, 01:48 AM

eclectic

Jammo last logged in on 04-04-2004. You can use the members list function to see when people were last here.

I have a number of fairly unpleasant things to say about all this if it is indeed all true (and it does sound like starter has a finger on the weakening pulse) but I'll wait for confirmation before dishing out the [rant] tags.

Damn shame really, I'd love to play a major event out in the bush in the middle of nowhere. Long walks in the high country on rest days, I was rather looking forward to it.

ursogr8
28-06-2004, 08:23 AM
The bid was given to CV not to Cordover.
Given the ACF Deputy President is influential in CV then he would obviously keep the ACF informed of progress.

Thanks Bill, that narrows down the focus; to nearly a pin-point. He does not post (nor read) here.
Looks like only the formal channel is open.
starter

arosar
28-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Good morning boys . . .

As I prefer to be proactive, is there some <one> that we can email directly and pose questions to? How's one of our premiere events in this country allowed to be run in such an anemic manner?

AR

jenni
28-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Good morning boys . . .

As I prefer to be proactive, is there some <one> that we can email directly and pose questions to? How's one of our premiere events in this country allowed to be run in such an anemic manner?

AR

At the end of the day the buck stops with the President. When something liek this happens the President should step in, sort out the mess, answer questions and calm down the situtation. Thsu I would suggest e-mails to George Howard are appropriate. George has a history of posting on here, when a major issue develops, so hopefully we will see something soon. I am going off to e-mail George.

jenni
28-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Jammo last logged in on 04-04-2004. You can use the members list function to see when people were last here.

I have a number of fairly unpleasant things to say about all this if it is indeed all true (and it does sound like starter has a finger on the weakening pulse) but I'll wait for confirmation before dishing out the [rant] tags.

Damn shame really, I'd love to play a major event out in the bush in the middle of nowhere. Long walks in the high country on rest days, I was rather looking forward to it.

I had heard about this from a source before Starter posted and unfortunately I think it is all true.

Bill Gletsos
28-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks Bill, that narrows down the focus; to nearly a pin-point. He does not post (nor read) here.
Looks like only the formal channel is open.
starter
Just to clarify.
Any individual or group can bid for an event but the bid must come via the relevant state association as the ACF only awards the events to state associations.
In cases where the organiser/actual bidder is not the state association it is important that the state association is continually aware of the situation.
In this particular case Cordover is the organiiser/bidder.

If the reports of its demise are true then it is interesting to note that this is the second time the event has died at the same venue and I believe with the same organiser.

Garvinator
28-06-2004, 12:11 PM
I have emailed David Cordover to get an update on the current status of the 2005 australian open, am now awaiting reply.

skip to my lou
28-06-2004, 07:35 PM
All my hard work down the drain, once again. :disapp:

jase
28-06-2004, 11:45 PM
In what respect, Jeo? What work have you done with the Mt Buller event that is now in vain?

It is possible that with better organisers the Australian Open could be a better event, and thus enhance your involvement and experience.

Brian_Jones
29-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Jeo did a great job as Webmaster for the 2003 Australian Open at Penrith. He was involved pretty full-on!

skip to my lou
29-06-2004, 07:00 PM
In what respect, Jeo? What work have you done with the Mt Buller event that is now in vain?

It is possible that with better organisers the Australian Open could be a better event, and thus enhance your involvement and experience.
I worked for about a month building the website for Open 05. It was no ordinary website, I can assure you.

Paul S
09-07-2004, 12:08 PM

Are these players still going to play in the Australian Open?

Also, after reading a few of the Guru's recent posts, I tend to be a bit skeptical about what he has to say. I'd be interested if someone (other than the Guru) could verify as to whether or not these players had actually committed to play in the "original" 2004/2005 Mt Buller Australian Open.

Garvinator
09-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Are these players still going to play in the Australian Open?

Also, after reading a few of the Guru's recent posts, I tend to be a bit skeptical about what he has to say. I'd be interested if someone (other than the Guru) could verify as to whether or not these players had actually committed to play in the "original" 2004/2005 Mt Buller Australian Open.
the only one i think would be a chance is Gary Lane :whistle:

george
09-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Hi ALL

Please read my last post on the Updated thread for breaking news.

George Howard
ACF President

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Locking this thread temporarily because nearly all the current discussion is on the other two and keeping a third thread open will only make things even more confusing. Will unlock it after the current spate of high-intensity posting on Mt B blows over.