December 29 2004 - January 10 2005

Australian Junior Championships
January 13 - 23 2005

$20,000+ of prizes

Venue: Mercure Grand Chalet Mt Buller
- GM's, IM's and Internationals!
- Lucky-prize draws (value $5000+)
- Fantastic accommodation packages
- Daily activities (movies, GM lectures, social events)
- Events and activities for families, siblings and friends
- Non chess events
- Free chair-lift, swimming pool access, sports and much more!

Website coming soon...

Bill Gletsos
10-01-2004, 12:45 PM
What dates are you planning for the Australian Schools Teams Championship?

firegoat7
21-02-2004, 08:43 PM
samspade wrote:
Hey David which GMs and IMs have you heard from so far?

hehehehe! very funny hehehehe! :clap:

Garvinator
23-02-2004, 01:58 AM
hey shut up I had a sincere interest in what titled players have expressed interest in playing, no humour was intended.
but it showed absolutely no knowledge of australian chess players habits lol, most ppl wont decide till about one month before hand :eek:

firegoat7
23-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Relax Samspade I wasn't having a go at you. Its just well...let's say....there is a big dispute in Victoria going on about....errr....dare I say it......ummmm....Chessguru dosen't actually always tend to ask people if they are playing, he just sort of makes it up according to rumor.....needless to say a number of people are upset at about this questionable practice........what did Huxley call the term? hypnopaedia, maybe Orwell called it propaganda, I think Yuppies call the term Marketing, I'm not sure what it is,but it aint always the truth.

Cheers FG7
P.S Don't believe the hype-Public Enemy

arosar
23-02-2004, 03:14 PM
How about plain old b*ll_sch*t? So fg7, you're calling the Guru a b*ll_sch*t-artist then?

AR

Garvinator
23-02-2004, 03:16 PM
How about plain old b*ll_sch*t? So fg7, you're calling the Guru a b*ll_sch*t-artist then?

AR
i thought all the cv mcc stuff was going to be sorted out in house from now on. this stuff from firegoat doesnt help.

arosar
23-02-2004, 03:32 PM
i thought all the cv mcc stuff was going to be sorted out in house from now on. this stuff from firegoat doesnt help.

You are a bore gray. Where's the fun in that? No wonder you cane toads haven't had one b*tc-h fight on this BB.

AR

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2004, 03:58 PM
I dont think fg7's opinion here is related to a mcc v CV issue but more FG7 simply relating an expression of a number of peoples views V CG's ability to state an actual fact as opposed to a hope/belief.

Hell that was pretty damn diplomatic for me now wasnt it. :lol: :lol:

ursogr8
23-02-2004, 05:48 PM
i thought all the cv mcc stuff was going to be sorted out in house from now on.

This is news to me g'ag'y.
Since when did the Mexicans agree to these Queensland rules? The mexican History thread is working, and just because jammo has used the R - word does not mean we have abandoned the bulletin board as a way of airing our differences. In fact, the results so far have been air-clearing. Even WBA seems convinced. So, we are just going to hang-up any dirty washing we like for you to see; if it proves beneficial. If you don't want to know the score; turn away now.

Go for it fg7 if you want to know the answer. And the spectators hanging over the fence will keep score.

This stuff from firegoat doesnt help.

To negotiate one must talk gg.

Say on fg7.
(But trim the tripe will ya. Cutting-and-pasting your course notes <into posts> from whatever you are doing, is costing me heaps on my dial-up downloads).

starter

ChessGuru
26-02-2004, 04:04 PM
At this stage the following players have confirmed their intention to play in the Australian Open 2005 under conditions offered to them:

GM Shabalov, Alex (2636) USCF 2700
GM Ehlvehst, Jaan (2599) USCF 2665
GM Wojtkiewicz, Aleksander (2564) USCF 2675

I don't know how to phrase it any other way....they are coming! Whether they show up or not I guess you won't know until the day, but I assume Firegoat that you will be there to check up on me?

Also I have received interest from:
GM Yermolinsky, Alex (2566)
GM Atalik, Suat (2554)

And I am currently negotiating their attendance also.

I know that is only 5, and I did promise 6, but there is still plenty of time. With regards to IM's they will enter soon enough...

firegoat7
26-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Dear Hoodooguru,

Your word should be enough for me. Unfortunately, let me say I am a cynic.
It would be great if these GM's turn up, you should be congratulated on such an achievement when it happens.

However, I see you haven't advertised GM Johansen, or IM Froehilch, am I right to presume that this is because they may be upset with previous attempts by you to associate their names with your tournaments without physically asking them?

Hoping to find the truth,
FG7

ursogr8
26-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Dear Hoodooguru,

Your word should be enough for me. Unfortunately, let me say I am a cynic.
It would be great if these GM's turn up, you should be congratulated on such an achievement when it happens.

However, I see you haven't advertised GM Johansen, or IM Froehilch, am I right to presume that this is because they may be upset with previous attempts by you to associate their names with your tournaments without physically asking them?

Hoping to find the truth,
FG7

An interesting point you raise fg7.

How to do pre-publicity?

Box Hill are holding a week-ender in June. If I advertised
GM Shabalov, Alex (2636) USCF 2700
GM Ehlvehst, Jaan (2599) USCF 2665
GM Wojtkiewicz, Aleksander (2564) USCF 2675

Also I have received interest from:
GM Atalik, Suat (2554)

definitely will not be with us; then I would not attract interest.

And the two locals you have mentioned will not confirm entry.

Then I would be left with something like the advertising slogan
"Come to the XXXXXXX week-ender and play with Pecori, who has been asked but doesn't read here anymore, and possibly play with jammo who said he might".
Doesn't have much of a ring to it, does it.
On the other hand, if the promoter doesn't advertise then it makes success very difficult

starter

ps

ggray,
Notice in the above I resisted to mention the VIC OPEN week-ender as a gratuitous promotion. Just for you. ;)

ChessGuru
26-02-2004, 09:47 PM
An interesting question has been raised. Let us call for any students of logic who read this BB to umpire.

What is "to invite someone" to a tournament? As our first premise let us assume that an entry form or tournament flyer is an "invitation". Being the only way people are made aware that an event is happening, this seems a reasonable assumption.

So, the moment a players reads the invitation with their name on it they cannot claim not to have been invited. Should they not read the invitation then they cannot know they have been named.

In fact, an invitation with a player's NAME on it is surely a more personal invitation than one without? So any players who are supposedly upset at not being invited should in fact be thrilled if they get named. Not only does it imply a PERSONAL invitation to that player, but also it is free publicity.

As a final thought; what is the only thing worse than being talked about?

JGB
26-02-2004, 10:17 PM
What do you guys back home want. I can tell you it aint going to be easy to lure 'big guns' (GM's) back to Australia at this time of the year! For a lot that i know they tell me its about the only period of the year they have off competive chess.

I have 3 GM's in mind when I think about the Aus Open 2004-2005. They have expressed interest to myself.

GM's Andrei Scheckashev, Michail Ivanov and Alex Karpatchev have spoken to myself and requested more 'firm' details on the event (by firm they are ussually talking about $$$) I will be playing in an tourney with these guys next month and it will probably be one of my last chances to round up some European players for our tourneys back home.

As much as I know these guys want to play here (and I know them pretty well) Its going to be tough getting back to Aus. Ill be trying my best to get an Aussie event a Gm standard event (that would be nice). :)

James

ChessGuru
26-02-2004, 10:37 PM
James,

Excellent news! And don't worry..i will email you a flyer with all the FIRM conditions before you get to play in that event! I am very confident of getting our target 6 GMs to play...

For your information my list of players is as follows:

Players confirmed as accepting these conditions:
GM Shabalov, Alex (2636)
GM Ehlvehst, Jaan (2599)
GM Wojtkiewicz, Aleksander (2564)

Players having expressed a strong interest:
GM Atalik, Suat (2554)

Players with some interest:
GM Mikhalevski, Victor (Elo 2568)
GM Golod, Vitali (Elo 2544)
GM Chandler, Murray (2508)

Regards,
David

firegoat7
27-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Dear Hoodoguru,

Obviously logic is not your forte.

When you wrote:
So, the moment a players reads the invitation with their name on it they cannot claim not to have been invited. Should they not read the invitation then they cannot know they have been named.

Let us just clarify two things first.

Firstly, A tournament flyer is advertising material not a personal invite.With a personal invite their is a guest list and a RSVP date.

Secondly, Chessplayers deserve personal respect. They should not be utilised in any market flyer as if they personally endorse a tournament without theireknowledge. If you ask somebody to play and they confirm a reply that is a different ball game. If however you market your tournaments to suggest people are playing, utilising peoples names without any confirmation then you are simply being dishonest. Furthermore this sort of behaviour is unethical, especially if the competitors in question do not want to be associated with your tournament at all.

Cheers FG7

Garvinator
27-02-2004, 01:20 AM
If however you market your tournaments to suggest people are playing, utilising peoples names without any confirmation then you are simply being dishonest. Furthermore this sort of behaviour is unethical, especially if the competitors in question do not want to be associated with your tournament at all.
Cheers FG7
to go even further, it could be called false advertising and could lead to a complaint to the office of fair trading.

arosar
27-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Secondly, Chessplayers deserve personal respect. They should not be utilised in any market flyer as if they personally endorse a tournament without theireknowledge. If you ask somebody to play and they confirm a reply that is a different ball game. If however you market your tournaments to suggest people are playing, utilising peoples names without any confirmation then you are simply being dishonest. Furthermore this sort of behaviour is unethical, especially if the competitors in question do not want to be associated with your tournament at all.

I agree. I'm really starting to worry about Guru's business practices. So did he just whack on these GM's names on flyers without their permission?

AR

firegoat7
03-03-2004, 01:02 PM
I guess Hoodooguru is lying low. Dosen't seem to like the heat being generated on this thread!

samspade
21-03-2004, 10:16 PM
I guess Hoodooguru is lying low. Dosen't seem to like the heat being generated on this thread!
don't flatter yourself

Ian Rout
02-04-2004, 10:56 AM
In another thread (but I thought it more appropriate to ask here) CG reports that there are seven confirmed GMs. Can we have a re-cap on who is confirmed?

I think this is sounding very attractive, I can't recall ever seeing seven GMs in the same room (eight if they get Darryl).

JGB
05-04-2004, 04:35 AM
2 weeks after Chessguru said he would send me the details for GMs wanting to play in Australia, I have still recieved nothing. I just got another email from GM Ivanov who would like to know some firm details for the three Gm discussed and GM Teske from Germany is also very interested. could you please get back to me soon.

Im just trying to help out back home a bit.. ;)

Until later,

James.

ChessGuru
14-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Already the Mt Buller 2005 Australian Open is set to be the biggest and strongest event of all time in Australia, with 8 confirmed GM players!

Players confirmed as having entered:
GM Shabalov, Alex (2624 - USA)
GM Ehlvest, Jaan (2596 - EST)
GM Mikhalevski, Victor (2550 - ISR)
GM Kengis, Edvins (2562 LAT)
GM Wojtkiewicz, Aleksander (2559 - USA)
GM Golod, Vitali (2552 - ISR)
GM Kosten, Tony (2507 FRA)
GM Hecht, Hans-Joachim (2425 GER)
Plus current Australian Champion IM Lane, Gary (2449 AUS)

I would now put a call out to any Australian players who would like their name added to this list. Please get this list growing quickly!

arosar
14-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Mr Guru mate, please post the accomodation details. Prices, type of accom and distance from venue are what I need thanks.

AR

Mischa
08-05-2004, 10:57 PM
need details about accommodation.
It seems to me that it is going to cost heaps

jenni
09-05-2004, 12:52 PM
need details about accommodation.
It seems to me that it is going to cost heaps

There are 2 choices - Mercure or lodges.

Mercure - means you are staying at the venue and from the prices I have heard, I don't really think it is expensive for the quality of accommodation. It is around $40 per night. (Includes breakfast)

However if absolute dollars are an issue, then there are plenty of lodges in Mt Buller village which are close to the venue and quite cheap. Libby Smith has negotiated some deals for the ACTJCL, which are proving very cost effective. ($30 per night for an adult and $15 per night for a child).

See this site for info on accommodation

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/accommodation/

Candy-Cane
09-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Does any one know if the NSW JCL is organising anything like this?

eclectic
09-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Does any one know if the NSW JCL is organising anything like this?Hi Candy-Cane,

Only one state gets bid each year for an event like championships.

It's Victoria this time around for both regulars and juniors.

Often different states will do them eg WA regulars SA juniors.

There is a schedule somewhere as to who gets what when.

Bill Gletsos would perhaps know when NSW or NSW JCL would expect to get such events next.

Cheers,

eclectic

Candy-Cane
09-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Nooooooo....I mean accomodation packages like ACT id doing?

eclectic
09-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Nooooooo....I mean accomodation packages like ACT id doing?
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Reply totally out of context !!!!

Sorry :)

Cheers

eclectic

(at least this helps increase my post count)

faeces gambit
10-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Jenni, i just checked the Mercure website and the cheapest room is quoted at $155 per night. Did you hear the $40 per night figure from someone reliable?

Trent Parker
10-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Jenni, i just checked the Mercure website and the cheapest room is quoted at $155 per night. Did you hear the $40 per night figure from someone reliable?

what a name!!! :lol:

jenni
10-05-2004, 10:00 AM

This is the figure ChessGuru has been quoting since January. He handed out a flyer at Doeberl which has "packages" for the Open of

$595 for 13 nights, including breakfast and entry and $299 for 5 nights.

If you take the entry out of that, then the figure of $40 per night looks right.

However it is obviously based on some sort of sharing and there are no details on that. From what he told me in Perth, I am assuming it is 3 people to a room, but I don't know that for sure.

Ian Rout
10-05-2004, 10:37 AM
I don't claim to know a lot about business but I would have thought Mercure's strategy isn't a great way to do it. Presumably part of their motivation in hosting this event is to sell accommodation during the off-season, but while they are sitting on their hands and not promoting their product they are losing business to ambush marketing by their competitors. If they don't pull their finger out they could end up being the only business in Mt Buller that doesn't make anything out of their tournament.

jenni
10-05-2004, 11:06 AM
I don't claim to know a lot about business but I would have thought Mercure's strategy isn't a great way to do it. Presumably part of their motivation in hosting this event is to sell accommodation during the off-season, but while they are sitting on their hands and not promoting their product they are losing business to ambush marketing by their competitors. If they don't pull their finger out they could end up being the only business in Mt Buller that doesn't make anything out of their tournament.

I think the problem is ChessGuru is the one who has to do the promoting - it is normally the convention promotor who takes on this role. The Hotel normally provides discounted accommodation to the promotor as part of the overall package and then provides the service, but it is up to the promotor to make a success of it. I suspect ChessGuru is waiting until the various tournament conditions have been approved by the ACF and then will start promoting it (on the other hand maybe he is just too busy with his real business....).

I think the rest of Mt Buller village is starting to realise that there is something happening in January. When Libby initially started talking to people they were very keen on any business in January and more than happy to hand out discounts, but of late they have been making comments about "being unusually busy next January!"

arosar
10-05-2004, 11:13 AM
. . .(on the other hand maybe he is just too busy with his real business....)

Well, that's no freakin' excuse! He put his hand up, he better have the answers. I mean for us lot, it's some serious dough we're bloody coughing up!

AR

PHAT
10-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Guru replied to an email I sent him. It said "[Packages] Might if we're lucky be ready by the end of the month [May]."

Lucena
10-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Mr Faeces I am here to inform you that your handle really is crap. :whistle:

By the way you're not related to Matthew are you? :D :D :eek:

Mischa
09-06-2004, 09:26 PM
after reading all the info on the Aus open, is the Aus Open about to fall over?