PDA

View Full Version : More Marketing Puff?

shaun
13-05-2005, 07:49 AM
In the latest ACF Bulletin I was struck by the following claim:

Three Grandmasters will play in the 2005 ******** Open Chess Tournament over the weekend of the 25th and 26th June 2005.
"This is history in the making," said ******* Chess Club President Bill Powell. "Australia only has two Grandmasters, and both have entered, plus a German Grandmaster to make the three GMs."

Maybe it is just me, but where is the history making bit here?

PS The same organiser once claimed that the ****** Open was the "biggest weekender in Australia". What loophole was he trying to squirm through to make this claim?

Rincewind
13-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Maybe it is just me, but where is the history making bit here?

I assume the history making part is for that tournament. Has the Caloundra open ever had 3 GMs enter before? (I don't know)

Bill Gletsos
13-05-2005, 11:00 AM
PS The same organiser once claimed that the ****** Open was the "biggest weekender in Australia". What loophole was he trying to squirm through to make this claim?Perhaps his loophole was that a weekender is only a two day event. Even then I'd be surprised if the claim was valid.

Ian Rout
13-05-2005, 11:09 AM
I assume the history making part is for that tournament. Has the Caloundra open ever had 3 GMs enter before? (I don't know)
This reminds me of a sports commentator who announced, when Shane Warne became the leading Australian Test wicket-taker, that he had set a world record for an Australian bowler.

Of course three GMs for a weekender is pretty impressive even if it isn't historical.

Garvinator
13-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I can confirm that it will be the first time that the Caloundra Open has had three GMs in their tournament.

shaun
13-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Perhaps his loophole was that a weekender is only a two day event. Even then I'd be surprised if the claim was valid.

Certainly that was the claim made in press release a number of years back. It was the avowed aim of the organiser to get more players to his tournament than the Doeberl Cup, and when that didn't happen he fell back on the "biggest weekender" claim, even stating that "Easter isn't a weekend".

I suppose the point I was making in my first posting were a) the media release didn't say "this is history in the making for this tournament" but left it deliberatly vague implying that this tournament was creating history, rather than history being created just for this tournament and b) to highlight that it is not just guruboy who tries this on.

Thunderspirit
13-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Doeberl has 3 GM's quite a few times. The last (I think) was GM Simen Agdestein with his famous loss to Brett Tindall in Round 1. But there are other examples as well... And Doeberl is a weekender, for those whp doubt... we just stretch the concept in Canberra... :owned: