PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Belconnen Chess Club Transfer

jenni
27-04-2005, 09:51 PM
This was a very enjoyable evening. I had intended to set up the draw and then go home to a good book, but there was such a nice atmosphere I decided to stay.

There weren’t too many adults represented and even some of the better juniors took themselves off to the smaller room to play more serious chess against each other.

However in the big room it was fast and furious with plenty of noise and laughter (particularly in round 5, when the White Knights beat Sacking Spree).

Memorable moments - Shaun and Mark were the only “adult” team (i.e both adults). They started off fairly out of practise, but grew better as the night progressed and peaked in time to ruin Paper Clips hopes of an outright victory.

- many of the Juniors accepting a novice adult as a partner and being very nurturing and accepting of their bad play

- Sherab Guo-Yuthok asking me to remove his mother from the room, after she kept helping his baby brother when they were playing each other.

See full results below

Next week we are back to serious chess with the start of Belco’s flagship event, the 9 week Premier (FIDE rated) and Divisions.

Full draws can be seen at

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/results/Belconnen/2005BelPremierDraw.htm

Ian Rout is maintaining a waiting list for those who were late in notifying him, so if anyone has changed their minds about playing, please notify Ian urgently, so someone else can get your spot.

We will be running a swiss comp in parallel with the Premier for anyone who wants to play, but either didn’t get into the Premier, or wants less of a commitment.

Cost of Premier and Divisions. $35 ($30 concessions)

The Swanson Sprint is 4 rounds $15 ($10 concessions)

Please note all players must be both BCC members and ACTCA members

Key

The Brothership - Nicholas and Michael Redpath

The Fuzzies - Gareth Oliver and Harry Johnson

The Yedwards - Edward Xing and Yi Yuan

Kamikazis - Jennie and Philip Nicholson and then Peter Murphy and Jamie Lee Guo-Yuthok

Usual Suspects - Shaun Press and Mark Hummell

Vacuum Whiskers - Miona Ikeda and Emma Guo

Paper Clips - Sherab Guo-Yuthok and Junta Ikeda

Sacking Spree - Michael Redpath and Brian Fitzpatrick

White Knights - Tim Clark and James Li

Damien - Damien Neulist and Thomas Ung

The Team - Tamzin Oliver (briefly) and then Benjamin Xing and Josephine Ung

Us against them - Peter Shields and Simon Mitchell

2005 BCC Transfer - Round 11
Standings
Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Score Berg. Wins

1-2 Paper Clips, 10 47.00 10
The Fuzzies, 10 46.00 10
3 Usual Suspects, 9 41.00 9
4-5 Sacking Spree, 6 24.00 6
The Brothership, 6 23.00 6
6-7 White Knights, 5 19.00 5
The Yedwards, 5 17.00 5
8-10 Vacuum Whiskers, 4 15.00 4
Damien, 4 13.00 4
The team, 4 12.00 4
11 Us against them, 3 9.00 3
12 Kamikazis, 0 0.00 0

Cross Table

No Name Feder Rtg #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12
1 Paper Clips, * W L W W W W W W W W W
2 The Fuzzies, L * W W W W W W W W W W
3 Usual Suspects, W L * L W W W W W W W W
4 Sacking Spree, L L W * L L L W W W W W
5 The Brothership, L L L W * W W L L W W W
6 White Knights, L L L W L * W L W W L W
7 The Yedwards, L L L W L L * W W L W W
8 Vacuum Whiskers, L L L L W W L * L W L W
9 Damien, L L L L W L L W * L W W
10 The team, L L L L L L W L W * W W
11 Us against them, L L L L L W L W L L * W
12 Kamikazis, L L L L L L L L L L L *
by Swiss Perfect (TM) www.swissperfect.com

shaun
28-04-2005, 07:11 AM
And Dion will be pleased to know the we played "drop for mate"

Comrade
28-04-2005, 11:21 PM
And Dion will be pleased to know the we played "drop for mate"

Glad to hear that international rules were being used. Did you also play "pawns promote" ?
I'm surprised that paper clips didn't picket fence, although the human factor probably kicked in.

shaun
29-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Glad to hear that international rules were being used. Did you also play "pawns promote" ?
I'm surprised that paper clips didn't picket fence, although the human factor probably kicked in.

There were a couple of FICS rules we didn't implement and pawn promotion was one of them. The reasoning was not having a pile of extra Queens/Rooks etc and the confusion of making sure they reverted to pawns on capture. Instead the rule was a pawn that made it to the end of the board just sat there until capture. I'm not sure it ever happened.
The other rule of concern was dropping pawns on the first rank. It was allowed but I'm not sure that this is the case on FICS. Can anyone enlighten me?
As for the Paper Clips, they should have streeted the field but choked in the last round, and were beaten quite quickly (and badly). :lol:

jenni
29-04-2005, 09:41 AM
choked in the last round, and were beaten quite quickly (and badly). :lol:

Not that that is an unprejudiced opinion. Maybe Junta/Sherab should put up a rebuttal (were there any spelling mistakes in that post. :whistle: )

Comrade
02-05-2005, 02:55 PM
There were a couple of FICS rules we didn't implement and pawn promotion was one of them. The reasoning was not having a pile of extra Queens/Rooks etc and the confusion of making sure they reverted to pawns on capture. Instead the rule was a pawn that made it to the end of the board just sat there until capture. I'm not sure it ever happened.

This is a gay variant of the rules. Back in the day, one was supposed to use a rubber band on the pawns that have promoted but this was disregarded to just memory. Part of the game. If you can't remember which were the super pawns were, tough luck :)

The other rule of concern was dropping pawns on the first rank. It was allowed but I'm not sure that this is the case on FICS. Can anyone enlighten me?
As for the Paper Clips, they should have streeted the field but choked in the last round, and were beaten quite quickly (and badly). :lol:

Pawns on the first rank is very silly, it doesn't even happen in chess... would be a weird rule. FICS doesn't allow it.

shaun
02-05-2005, 04:41 PM
This is a gay variant of the rules.
Would that be 'gay' as in "happy or joyous" or 'gay' as in "you kissed a girl. That is so gay"?

Pawns on the first rank is very silly, it doesn't even happen in chess... would be a weird rule. FICS doesn't allow it.

I tracked down the FICS rules and no pawns on the first (or last) rank. So next time that is what it will be.

Comrade
03-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Would that be 'gay' as in "happy or joyous" or 'gay' as in "you kissed a girl. That is so gay"?

Gay as in a fag variant... i think kissing a girl would take priority over a transfer game :)

shaun
03-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Gay as in a fag variant... i think kissing a girl would take priority over a transfer game :)

"Fag" as in a slang term for cigarette or "Fag" as in "younger student who serves an older student, usually in boarding school" (qv 'Tom Browns School Days')

Duff McKagan
03-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Actually SP, I think he might mean "fag" in the sense of hard work.

"This is the fag end of the job, Sonny Jim."

If this is the case, then Comrade Comrade would be quite correct to say that a varient that does not allow you to promote to a queen makes mating hard work.

This then suggests that, if "gay" is a synonym of "fag", Daffid is being cute when he says, "It's hard work being the only gay in the village."

:cool: Cheers