PDA

View Full Version : Mt Buller Bulletins....

Thunderspirit
18-04-2005, 09:31 PM
I had a discussion yesterday with an annoyed chess mum over the state of the Mt Buller Bullietns and the fact that they haven't been produced. I was prettty relaxed (I was thinking it's $20, it's annoying but it's not such a big deal...)

My opinion changed when she said that was my son's pocket money for a month. You'd be pretty annoyed if someone took a month wages of you, and you never got it back.

George do you realise that your sloppiness is really annoying and hurting people. You should do the right thing and offer the money back to those who want it. It's not good enough to say, I'm busy and I'm working... Bite the bullet.

And forget Buller part 2, it will never happen. There is no way Australian chess will give the go ahead for the second event if something this basic hasn't been done 4 mths after the event.

To be fair to George the arbiters at the event were paid well in adavnce. In my case I got paid for the Open and Juniors even before the Open had finished. I needed the money and George in a nice gesture helped out... you gotta finish the job though...

arosar
18-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Isn't there some sort of fair trading thing you can invoke?

AR

Denis_Jessop
18-04-2005, 09:42 PM
I had a discussion yesterday with an annoyed chess mum over the state of the Mt Buller Bullietns and the fact that they haven't been produced. I was prettty relaxed (I was thinking it's $20, it's annoying but it's not such a big deal...)

My opinion changed when she said that was my son's pocket money for a month. You'd be pretty annoyed if someone took a month wages of you, and you never got it back.

George do you realise that your sloppiness is really annoying and hurting people. You should do the right thing and offer the money back to those who want it. It's not good enough to say, I'm busy and I'm working... Bite the bullet.

And forget Buller part 2, it will never happen. There is no way Australian chess will give the go ahead for the second event if something this basic hasn't been done 4 mths after the event.

To be fair to George the arbiters at the event were paid well in adavnce. In my case I got paid for the Open and Juniors even before the Open had finished. I needed the money and George in a nice gesture helped out... you gotta finish the job though...

Hi Lee

I take it you are referring to the famous CD.

It is unlikely that George will see your posting so I shall reply based on what he told us at last Monday's ACF Council meeting.

George said that he is ready to go with the CDs and he promised to get them out to people this week. I'm one of those who paid so I'll look forward to it too!

Incidentally, the cost was $12, not $20 but whatever it was, we agreed it is time the matter was attended to.

DJ

Thunderspirit
18-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Isn't there some sort of fair trading thing you can invoke?

AR

That was also discussed. It's over kill, but it maybe necessary...

klyall
19-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Great to hear that the Bulletins are on their way. :) Four months is a very long time to wait. Better late than never!

Libby
19-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Lee

I take it you are referring to the famous CD.

It is unlikely that George will see your posting so I shall reply based on what he told us at last Monday's ACF Council meeting.

George said that he is ready to go with the CDs and he promised to get them out to people this week. I'm one of those who paid so I'll look forward to it too!

Incidentally, the cost was $12, not $20 but whatever it was, we agreed it is time the matter was attended to.

DJ

I'm sure everyone will be very excited to see them in the mailbox :wall: Was there a reason behind the hold-up?

We've had so much b.itching and carry-on over the whole event on the BB it would be nice to know what George provided in his verbal report to the ACF. It may be none of our business and there may be no obligation to provide a run-down but it would be good to know what the conclusions and outcomes and "positives" were.

Denis_Jessop
19-04-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm sure everyone will be very excited to see them in the mailbox :wall: Was there a reason behind the hold-up?

We've had so much b.itching and carry-on over the whole event on the BB it would be nice to know what George provided in his verbal report to the ACF. It may be none of our business and there may be no obligation to provide a run-down but it would be good to know what the conclusions and outcomes and "positives" were.

My first hope is that the CDs materialise as promised.

As for the rest, George really didn't give any general report on the past event and was not pressed to at that stage. I think people were most interested in a financial report. George did promise a full financial report by 31 May. Our next Council meeting is not due until 18 July but there is always scope for e-mail contact between meetings. Other matters have perhaps been so fully canvassed already that they are now regarded a bit as history. Most people have their views of how the events went and George probably could not add much to what has already been said.

He did say that Mt Buller are still wanting to hold another one in 2007 but as of now George is not inclined to want to run it. Although I am convenor of the ACF Council's Steering Committee on a possible Mt Buller III/IV, I have heard nothing from them. Goerge has spoken to Roman (or vice versa) but the ball is in Mt Buller's court to provide a concrete proposal. I think we are all determined not to consider anything less.

I know of at least one other possible bid for some or all of the events in 2006/2007.

My intention, if the States having the options for 2006/2007 don't exercise them, is to call for bids for the Open and Juniors (and the Schools Teams 2006) as soon as possible after the option deadline of 1 July 2005 expires.

DJ

Libby
20-04-2005, 07:02 AM
My first hope is that the CDs materialise as promised.

As for the rest, George really didn't give any general report on the past event and was not pressed to at that stage. I think people were most interested in a financial report. George did promise a full financial report by 31 May. Our next Council meeting is not due until 18 July but there is always scope for e-mail contact between meetings. Other matters have perhaps been so fully canvassed already that they are now regarded a bit as history. Most people have their views of how the events went and George probably could not add much to what has already been said.

He did say that Mt Buller are still wanting to hold another one in 2007 but as of now George is not inclined to want to run it. Although I am convenor of the ACF Council's Steering Committee on a possible Mt Buller III/IV, I have heard nothing from them. Goerge has spoken to Roman (or vice versa) but the ball is in Mt Buller's court to provide a concrete proposal. I think we are all determined not to consider anything less.

I know of at least one other possible bid for some or all of the events in 2006/2007.

My intention, if the States having the options for 2006/2007 don't exercise them, is to call for bids for the Open and Juniors (and the Schools Teams 2006) as soon as possible after the option deadline of 1 July 2005 expires.

DJ

Thanks Denis

I guess my interest stemmed from the stated possibility of a future bid and reasoning that there must be feedback from the first event, or from Mt Buller itself, to support the idea. Partly that is addressed by the financial position of the event but I thought there may be some ideas from George or Mt Buller people, based on our experience there, as well.

I think I've said to you before that I feel it could run well in a venue like that, and that most of the ACT juniors & parents enjoyed their time there, so I'm not really trawling for "nasties."

After all, the only perspective we haven't really had, in any sensible context, is George's. There are a lot of things George and the ACF obviously shouldn't post on a BB when it comes to financial or commercial-in confidence issues etc but there are things to learn should any of us contemplate something like this again - whether it's Mt Buller, Thredbo, or any other remote or resort-type of deal in the future.

Libby

Garvinator
20-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Thredbo
now there is an idea ;) where are my warm clothes again :D

Oepty
20-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Libby. Unfortunately it appears the reason why nobody has recieved the CD bulletins is George has not sent them out. There is no other reason as far as I know.
Scott

Denis_Jessop
21-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Thanks Denis

I guess my interest stemmed from the stated possibility of a future bid and reasoning that there must be feedback from the first event, or from Mt Buller itself, to support the idea. Partly that is addressed by the financial position of the event but I thought there may be some ideas from George or Mt Buller people, based on our experience there, as well.

I think I've said to you before that I feel it could run well in a venue like that, and that most of the ACT juniors & parents enjoyed their time there, so I'm not really trawling for "nasties."

After all, the only perspective we haven't really had, in any sensible context, is George's. There are a lot of things George and the ACF obviously shouldn't post on a BB when it comes to financial or commercial-in confidence issues etc but there are things to learn should any of us contemplate something like this again - whether it's Mt Buller, Thredbo, or any other remote or resort-type of deal in the future.

Libby

I pretty much agree and certainly the ACF Council will not, in my estimation, agree to another Mt Buller without some examination of how the last one could have been better and, just as importantly, without clear terms of any deal with Mt Buller. At the last meeting George did not give much info about the last one and was not pressed to do so. I think that that may occur when the financial report is received and considered.

Incidentally, Thredbo is not as out of the question as some may think as I, as ACTCA President, received an e-mail earlier this year from a Thredbo lodge inviting the ACT to think of holding tournaments or coaching sessions there . Perhaps they had read about Buller and want to stake their claim .

DJ

Trent Parker
21-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Incidentally, Thredbo is not as out of the question as some may think as I, as ACTCA President, received an e-mail earlier this year from a Thredbo lodge inviting the ACT to think of holding tournaments or coaching sessions there . Perhaps they had read about Buller and want to stake their claim .

DJ
Ditto NSWCA

Garvinator
21-04-2005, 12:58 PM
and we can see from this picture that the car has disappeared.

http://ski.mtbuller.com.au/snowcams/bourke.html

jenni
21-04-2005, 03:40 PM
and we can see from this picture that the car has disappeared.

http://ski.mtbuller.com.au/snowcams/bourke.html

Ooh isn't that horrible. Brings back memories of many hours spent there on tennis duty!

Trent Parker
26-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Umm, well... Has anyone received their copy of the bulletins yet?

jenni
26-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Umm, well... Has anyone received their copy of the bulletins yet?
Nope - or payment for the clock they lost.

klyall
26-04-2005, 11:22 PM
As the annoyed mum referred to in the first post, I can confirm that I am even more annoyed. No sign of the bulletins or a refund check. :(

Libby
27-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Ye of little faith!

I am certain it will all be sorted out once the full financial reports have been submitted to the ACF. Probably along with the transfer of the $4000 junior development fund (negotiated when the prizemoney for the juniors was reduced).

I have sympathy for those who don't enjoy the "loose ends" at the conclusion of an activity. I can be a bit of a shocker in finishing off the paperwork for the benefit of the rest of the committee - it's usually done in a tearing rush the night before the meeting/deadline/financial reporting. But I would draw the line at failing to deliver a product in a timely manner when I have received money for it. At the very least, keeping in contact with people - if there is a delay - is usually all that is required to keep them happy.

Fortunately, I was too tight to pay for one anyway.

Rincewind
27-04-2005, 12:19 PM
I can be a bit of a shocker in finishing off the paperwork for the benefit of the rest of the committee - it's usually done in a tearing rush the night before the meeting/deadline/financial reporting.

80-20 Rule: 80% of action items are addressed in the last 20 minutes before the meeting they are to be reported on.

Libby
27-04-2005, 12:42 PM
80-20 Rule: 80% of action items are addressed in the last 20 minutes before the meeting they are to be reported on.

Soon after you have read through the minutes of the last meeting and realised what you said you were going to do after the last one ... :uhoh:

Brian_Jones
27-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Ye of little faith! I am certain it will all be sorted out once the full financial reports have been submitted to the ACF.

Libby, Libby what it is like to be young and naive. You are too young (in chess) to remember the bad old days when the ACF management changed without finishing off the accounts. Ask Norm Greenwood about when he first took on the job of ACF Treasurer. It took years for him to get the books off the previous Treasurer!

Libby
27-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Libby, Libby what it is like to be young and naive.

:eek: ;) I guess (in part) my naiive assumption would be the ACF would vigorously pursue the accounts as they are receiving a proportion of any profit? (You may also have missed my sarcasm - or was I missing yours?)

Now we can argue if Mt Buller made any profit - I have no idea and don't want to spar on the issue. However, the ACF should desire a full, audited set of accounts to determine if any money is due to them.

This is actually a serious issue. And it's not questioning the honesty of anyone. It's just that there is money involved and people are should actually be held accountable for it. And presumably intend to be.

Brian_Jones
28-04-2005, 08:10 AM
I agree. But the ACF does not have a good track record at successfully chasing money!

Libby
28-04-2005, 09:39 AM
I agree. But the ACF does not have a good track record at successfully chasing money!

Then I wonder how it can ever hope to be paying arbiters and lobbying for better recognition and raising the profile of chess etc etc?

C'mon guys. We beg for money from players for the Olympiad appeal. We levy every child playing inter-school chess. We make some enormous fuss over the World Youth selections but reward those kids with $100?

I don't know if I even have a point here. I think it's just that some "big visions" are talked about in other threads, yet there doesn't seem either the will or way to have the ACF operate to effect anything like that.

Trent Parker
12-05-2005, 12:19 AM
:whistle:

jenni
12-05-2005, 10:08 AM
You probably believe in Santa and the tooth fairy as well....

Trent Parker
12-05-2005, 11:52 AM
You probably believe in Santa and the tooth fairy as well....

Oh yeah! :whistle: :lol:

Libby
15-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah! :whistle: :lol:

Then I guess we can expect the Bullertins in our stockings or perhaps under our pillows ...

Garvinator
15-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Then I guess we can expect the Bullertins in our stockings or perhaps under our pillows ...
or at George Buller2007 ;)

cincinnatus
31-05-2005, 03:05 PM
George did promise a full financial report by 31 May.Could a Member of Council please advise if/when this promise is/was met?

Plus:

Has anyone received their copy of the Bulletins yet?

jenni
31-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Plus:

Has anyone received their copy of the Bulletins yet?

I think this is known as comic relief.

klyall
31-05-2005, 04:08 PM
It is now 31 May - still no Bulletin! :evil:

Libby
31-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Even without profit from the event, a $4000 Junior Development Fund was set up when the prizemoney was reduced.

Has this money been deposited with the ACF or allocated to any particular initiatives?

arosar
31-05-2005, 04:21 PM
It is now 31 May - still no Bulletin! :evil:

What??

OK, you and I, chorus. Ready?

F M D!!

AR

auriga
07-06-2005, 08:25 PM
What??

F M D!!

AR

any sign of the bulletins yet?

arosar
07-06-2005, 09:31 PM
any sign of the bulletins yet?

We'll see the Messiah long before the bulletins.

AR

ursogr8
07-06-2005, 09:37 PM
What??

F M D!!

AR

Oi

I think klyall is one of our mums. :doh:

starter

Mischa
07-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Being a mum doesn't protect you here

machomortensen
24-06-2015, 03:21 AM
I was cleaning up today and found out that I've got the Buller-tins from zero to 10. Did there ever came a bulletin no. 11 out?

machomortensen
25-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Did the final Buller-tin ever appear?? I've got the others...

jammo
25-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Did the final Buller-tin ever appear?? I've got the others...

I think George is hoping to bring out the final bulletin shortly.....

george
25-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Lost in the sands of time. My apologies if there was a Bulletin 11 and you didn't get it.

MichaelBaron
25-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Btw, Henrik
Was great to see your photos from the Mt.Buller event on your FB page. May be you could also upload them here sometime for those who are not on your FB :)

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I was cleaning up today and found out that I've got the Buller-tins from zero to 10. Did there ever came a bulletin no. 11 out?

There was supposed to be a CD containing bulletin 11 and the prior bulletins that was to go to a few dozen people who had pre-ordered it. When this eventually failed to appear the ACF offered to refund all who had paid $12 to order the CD. As far as I know bulletin 11 was never released; there were some attempts at producing it but I think there may have been issues with a corrupted file.

I will merge this thread with the old thread soon.

machomortensen
26-06-2015, 02:16 AM
@ George

Thank you for replying. I hope that you are OK with or without chess. If it never came out, there are nothing to do. I was just asking.

@ Michael

I'm completely "computerSTUPID" and have no idea how to upload pictures. Btw, you haven't seen the best ones... Yet...

ER
26-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Inspired by Henrik's tireless efforts to enrich even further his huge catalogue of Australian Chess data, I went through the history of this tournament as much as I could.
It must have been an experience of monumental proportions! A bit more than a decade since the event took place, the posted outbursts of participants and / or critics who lived through (to paraphrase Paul Simon) those days of miracle and wonder designate quite a number of frustrated, infuriated, even traumatised individuals. Someone told me it even snowed in the middle of the summer during the tournament! I better re-read my interview with George, in the An Interview thread, there might be a weather report reference there!

george
26-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Hi all,
From memory it snowed xmas/boxing day. Perhaps the saddest thing to happen at Mt Buller was I had cardboard boxes full of all the games from the Junior and Open and I asked heaps of folks did they want them - for one reason or another I just didn't want to know anymore. No-one wanted them!! So boxes and boxes and boxes of games were binned.

Lots of juniors enjoyed the Aus Junior which had a record attendance to that time.

There were some great moments with Evelyn , Andrew , Alex and others and I prefer to think of the good things that happened rather than the other.

Regards to ALL

Kevin Bonham
26-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Hi all,
From memory it snowed xmas/boxing day.

It certainly snowed (and settled though not to any great depth) on the night before the tournament started. Bill Jordan, Tom Lea, Charles Chadwick and I were driving up in a car ridiculously full of groceries and it started snowing as we drove up the Mt Buller road.

machomortensen
27-06-2015, 06:08 AM
I only remember snow BEFORE the tournament began... I had some pictures with myself freezing and not really dressed for that. Shaun Press could have some pictures too.