PDA

View Full Version : 2005 City of Sydney Rapid.

arosar
17-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Jason Chan (the 1minute_grandmaster) is the new Sydney Rapid Champion. He was undefeated - scoring a total of 6.5. His only draw was against Bruce Murray in the very last round.

The event attracted 39 players, nearly double from last year's attendance of twenty. Notable absentees were Xie (2004 Champ), who hardly misses a local tourney, and Agulto (2003 Champ), who has lately and sadly gone quiet.

Yet the event was much stronger than last year's thanks to the usual school of Filipino sharks: top seed Capilitan, Cabilin, Navarro and Galvez; and they were joined by the likes of Murray, Bolens, Berezovski and the 2200+ rated Ian Parsonage.

Jason was at his hustling best. For instance, in the 6th his time ebbed between zero and 30 seconds while his opponent, Navarro, had over 5 minutes! A little prodding there, a shimmy here and before you know it, Navarro's position began to unravel. Suddenly, Jason had mate in one! There was nothing to do but resign.

The tournament ran smoothly. Spirits were high and there was much laughter. Lloyd Fell, again, couldn't himself and just had to have a go at those cheating Filipinos and Indonesians. We're all crooks he says. Aah, but it's all in good fun.

Leading scores

6.5 Chan
5.5 Berezovski, Capilitan
5.0 Galvez, Bolens, Murray

For pics from today's event, click here: http://photos.yahoo.com/chessafficionado

AR

auriga
18-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Jason Chan (the 1minute_grandmaster) is the new Sydney Rapid Champion. He was undefeated - scoring a total of 6.5. His only draw was against Bruce Murray in the very last round.

The event attracted 39 players, nearly double from last year's attendance of twenty. Notable absentees were Xie (2004 Champ), who hardly misses a local tourney, and Agulto (2003 Champ), who has lately and sadly gone quiet.

Yet the event was much stronger than last year's thanks to the usual school of Filipino sharks: top seed Capilitan, Cabilin, Navarro and Galvez; and they were joined by the likes of Murray, Bolens, Berezovski and the 2200+ rated Ian Parsonage.

Jason was at his hustling best. For instance, in the 6th his time ebbed between zero and 30 seconds while his opponent, Navarro, had over 5 minutes! A little prodding there, a shimmy here and before you know it, Navarro's position began to unravel. Suddenly, Jason had mate in one! There was nothing to do but resign.

The tournament ran smoothly. Spirits were high and there was much laughter. Lloyd Fell, again, couldn't himself and just had to have a go at those cheating Filipinos and Indonesians. We're all crooks he says. Aah, but it's all in good fun.

Leading scores

6.5 Chan
5.5 Berezovski, Capilitan
5.0 Galvez, Bolens, Murray

For pics from today's event, click here: http://photos.yahoo.com/chessafficionado

AR

nice pics.
was the 1minute_grandmaster wheeling out any new opening innovations? (1.a3!?)

arosar
18-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I believe so. But 1. a3 is theory! I'm pretty sure that there's a book about it.

AR

auriga
18-04-2005, 11:05 AM
also spotted The Chess Nut grinding out a win against adrian miranda
with frank kresinger looking on! :D

George Xie
18-04-2005, 01:22 PM
1.a3!? g6 (this is the only way stop white play 2.b4) 2.h4! (IM Aleksander Wohl)

arosar
18-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Actually, 1. a3 attracted quite a bit of commentary on Unorthodox Chess Openings once (a Y! chess newsgroup, one of whose regular posters is none other then E. Schiller).

1. a3 is apparently called 'Anderssen's Opening' and the best way to counter it, it seems, is a Black K-side fianchetto.

AR

antichrist
18-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Did TCN defeat Adrian Miranda, on the same day that Adrian beat Munir??

AR, I knew you would not get the caption correct.

Lloyd Fell was demonstrating the infamous 35-second Escribano trick of "I adjust", which with my inciting him, led to him being barred from a tourney for the first time in fifty years.

Your mate Nick was the arbiter who will never be forgiven or forgotten.

Lest we forget

arosar
18-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Where did I say Adrian beat TCN in the official tourn?

That pic is of them having a social game!

AR

Trent Parker
20-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I didn't actually play Adrian in the official tourney. I had a bad tourney.... 2/7 (one of which was a forfeit :uhoh:

I played minir in the 4th round....

antichrist
23-04-2005, 04:02 PM
AR, another wrong caption was to the effect of LLoyd Fell quitening me, well it was exactly the opposite.

It was his worse comp ever, he even went to the bottom and got a bye, and he blamed it all on me -- evening asking me not to come tomorrow.

So being the A/C you know who can't stay away tomorrow?

Bob Sewell and myself really put the poop on him, it was great.

Trent Parker
23-04-2005, 04:41 PM
hehehe actually i think he got a bye in the C of S main tourney! Leave Lloyd alone :D