PDA

View Full Version : CAQ Newsletters

Alan Shore
16-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Since we've been on this newsletter theme for a while...

I dislike the newsletters CAQ sends out. I'll only just stop short of calling them farcical (we only received 2 out of the promised 4 last year) with our latest 4-page feature producing:

-News that is 10 months old
-A entire page of ACF ratings easily accessed online
-(Old) Tournament news and results that can be accessed online
-A few ads
-A cheapshot by Jacob Edwards at our club

The following is a letter a few of us have composed to the newsletter, which may or may not need to be pusblished in the next 'newsletter' if Edwards submits an apology.

Dear (Newsletter),

A few of us were quite disappointed with the manner in which Jacob Edwards conducted himself with in writing an article about his club, 'Bullwinkle'. While making less than complimentary slurs at the match organiser, [Alex], Jacob goes further to accuse us of subterfuge, when in fact the only one guilty of that is Mr Edwards himself.

Let's recap - Edwards tries to undermine the club by saying the Board 1 player should have played on Board 4, with Jonathan Humphrey echoing it to be a 'mockery' if board order is not determined exclusively by rating. Perhaps the club should be aware that not only did the UQ player who did play Board 1 for us win our Club Championship but also has the highest rating of all players in the Rapid rating category - the norm for all Club events. It's our understanding the Bullwinkle players were aware of this, players which do not include Edwards as he was not present. Not only this but it was never a specified pre-requisite that we play in rating order anyway.

Now, let's get to the real subterfuge committed by Edwards. [Alex] had issued a challenge to Edwards and his club with the proviso that Edwards would be playing. Indeed, Alex was hoping for the opportunity to play him and was the primary reason the challenge was issued. On the night of the match, Edwards did not arrive. Asked to explain his absence, the Bullwinkle fill-in captain Regina Grenfell stated 'Oh, Jacob couldn't be bothered coming'.

Yet sadly, the debacle does not end there. We were informed that Edwards had also demanded that our club pay the rating fees for the match (in excess of $65), something the Club Treasurer was not aware of. All at our club had no real interest in rating the matches anyway and weren't pleased at the demands of Bullwinkle. If they want the match rated then they're welcome to fork out.

So Mr Edwards, hopefully next time you will take more care with your words. We are happy to continue to have matches with your club as long as you are crystal clear with the requirements before hand and communicate them to us. Oh and hopefully you can 'be bothered to show up' next time.

Regards,

UQ Chess Club

Arrogant-One
28-08-2005, 01:26 PM
I must say that Belthasar's piece from 16 April 2005 is spot on. I only add further that I still have the email Mr Edwards sent to me, stating that if we wanted the match rated, UQ will have to pay for it.

That said, because Mr Edwards has contributed so much to chess in Queensland over the years, we allow him some room in which to err. He's only human.

Arrogant-One
=================

Garvinator
28-08-2005, 11:10 PM
i am not sure why you are bringing this up on here, which is a complete waste of time.

bergil
30-08-2005, 09:42 PM
i am not sure why you are bringing this up on here, which is a complete waste of time.
Why not? They feel they were slighted and wanted to set the record straight.

Garvinator
30-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Why not? They feel they were slighted and wanted to set the record straight.
it was a response given because I know both Arrogant one and Belthasar in person and have discussed this issue with them many times. I have told Belthasar the situation and what needs to be done if they wish to get the games rated.

I will probably see both of them tomorrow night. They have not put anything into caq for consideration.

bergil
30-08-2005, 09:54 PM
it was a response given because I know both Arrogant one and Belthasar in person and have discussed this issue with them many times. I have told Belthasar the situation and what needs to be done if they wish to get the games rated.

I will probably see both of them tomorrow night. They have not put anything into caq for consideration.
It seems that don't care if the games gets rated, their beef was that the CAQ newsletter published a letter with misrepresentations or slurs against their club.

Garvinator
30-08-2005, 10:28 PM
It seems that don't care if the games gets rated, their beef was that the CAQ newsletter published a letter with misrepresentations or slurs against their club.
and as i said i have spoken to belthasar about this issue in person and told him what he can do.

arosar
30-08-2005, 11:22 PM
In other words, bergil, they've moved on.

AR

bergil
30-08-2005, 11:59 PM
In other words, bergil, they've moved on.

AR
Cheers :cool: