PDA

View Full Version : Submission of events for rating

Bill Gletsos
16-04-2005, 12:39 PM
That idiot Sweeney is now making false statements on his board about submitting tournaments for rating. He clearly has no clue what he is talking about.

He says:

So try this approach:

Send your SP file directly to Bill Gletsos with the ACF levy (20 cents per game, I think). Make sure all player names are spelled absolutely correctly and the ratings are right as well - otherwise you will just piss him off and the system will generate "new" members of a new spelling.

Here is the danger. The ACF ratings officer can choose to rate any event he likes that has the rating fee attached. He can choose to do it or not to do it. If he likes you and your club he will, if not, you are up Shit Creek. He is likely to say "All SP files must come from the relevant State ratings officer." However he can and has rated events that have not.Matt as usual is a total fool. I dont get to choose to rate any event I like. Nor does it have anything to with whether I like the individual/club or not. However his last point has nothing to do with how the event is received. It has to do with whether it is approved.

All events have to be approved by their respective state associations. The only exceptions are ACF events wherealthough they may be run by a state association the rating approval is from the ACF, Dorothy Dibley matches under the control of the AWCL and the Oceania Zonals.

All other events must come via their state associations.
The only latitude on this is that I will accept events directly if I am certain the state association has no problem with it being rated. Events that have fallen into this category are generally events that finish close to the rating publishing date and by directly accepting them they make it into the list. e.g. An event finishes on February 27th. To ensure it is included in the march list I may have asked the orgainser/DOP to send the SP files directly to me.

Now Matt will most likely moan "Why can't BG reply to this post here were he reads it?"
The answer is simple. I have no intention of posting anything on his board especially given the absolutely foul and vulguar language he has used to about me.
On top of that he clearly has no understanding of moderation as evidenced by how he believes HappyFriends posts should have been handled. That however should be a topic for another thread.

Bill Gletsos
18-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Matt is still making stupid uninformed comments with regards events submitted for rating.

He says:

However, that is not true. He can as can be seen in the following set of posts. He simply chooses to rate or not rate. He may give reasons for his choice, but in the end he chooses."

http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=4756&postcount=60

http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=4756&postcount=62

http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=4756&postcount=63

http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=4756&postcount=64

What he may be so shit scared of is actually having to eyeball Garry Wastel and say "No" if CV turns around and says "Unrate that tournament because we don't like that club."

In the end, Gletsos is not doing the right thing by the rating system that he himself defends and Australian chess if he did not rate a club championship submitted to him straight from "Nigel Barrow." This is all complete rubbish on Matt's part.

Post #60 is Ian's opinion but it is not what I said which I restate in posts #62, 63 and 64.

Dorothy Dibley events used to be submitted by the state representing the home state for the respective matches. This was changed to having them submiitted directly to the ACF Ratings Officers mainly to avoid accidental duplication and centralised id number allocation.

The rating of the overseas Oceania Zonals was done after consultation with and approval of the ACF President.

As for his stupid comment about CV and Gary Wastell that is just rubbish.
If I were to follow Matt's stupid suggestion Gary would simply move a motion with the ACF Council (which I have no doubt would be passed) forcing me to unrate it and rerun the rating period.

Matt needs to reaise it is ACF policy that if a State Association wont authorise an event being rated then it isnt rated. Now this could be overruled by the ACF Council however I have no reason to believe that would actually happen and as far as I know has not happened in the past and certainly not since Graham Saint and I have done the ACF ratings (since August 1996).

As for his last paragraph where he claims I am am not doing the right thing by not rating Nigel's club championshp that is just more rambling nonsense on this part.
He needs to realise that the ACF Council determines what is rated and not rated and not what Sweeney thinks should be rated.

Bill Gletsos
18-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Sweeney still doesnt get it.
He says:

Bill Gletsos is a gutless turd. He should post his attacks on me and my opinions here and not in some other place. It is not cricket to do otherwise.He has the hide to suggest what I'm saying isnt cricket when his language on his board directed at me is foul & vulgar. His repeated use of the c word just shows what a disgrace he is.

You have not at all refuted the fact that you can rate Nigel's club c/ship if you choose to.

Gary Wastell might put a motion to have data expunged from history but the ACF would have to agree. There is no grantee of that. In fact, the ACF could use the provision of ratings as a stick with which it can bring any state body to heel.

Just rate Nigel's event and see what happens - or are you a visionless gray robot. What part of the following doesnt this moron Sweeney comprehend.

I dont get to choose what is and isnt rated. I follow the ACF policy.
It is ACF policy to only rate events authorised by State Associations or the ACF directly. Nigel's event isnt authorised by CV and there is no prospect of the ACF overruling CV therefore his event will not be rated.

Bill Gletsos
18-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Sweeney continues to make false and uninformed statements.
He says:

The rules are already bent for some events, Dorothy Dibley Matches, and Oceania Zonal, why not Nigel's.The rules are not bent at all.
The Dorothy Dibley instead of being processed at the state level was decided to be processed at the ACF level. The Dorothy Dibley is run by an ACF affilated body.
The overseas Oceania Zonals are clearly not state events and do not require state authorisation. Their rating is authorised at the ACF level and does not infringe on a states authorisation rights.
Nigels event is run in Victoria and as such event requires CV approval.

Gletsos can do what the hell he wants. If he rated X and the ACF said unrate it, Gletsos could say "Make me." What would the ACF do? Tell him to clear out your desk. I don't think so. The ACF does whatever Gletsos says regarding rating. He has carte blanche.Rubbish. The ACF has a policy on rating events. Graham and I as the ACF Rating Officers follow that policy.

If the ACF wants to be relevant rather than irrelevant to Australian chess, it ought to flex some muscle and use the rating service to extract compliance.

The ACF has a duty to "look after" Australian chess and it can best do that by dealing with the clubs rather than decrepit old men in the decrepit old state bodies. But then again, the ACF is full of the same decrepid old men.

The majority of chess administration above club level in Australia is a pathetic joke and Gletsos likes it that way.Clearly the only pathetic joke is Sweeney. He did nothing whilst on the NSWCA and has no credibilty.
Going back to the issue of Victorian fees, what can the ACF do to ensure that games get rated if a DOP sends the fee and the SP file. Sweeney can tell Nigel whatever rubbish he likes but Matt doesnt set the rules. The ACF will follow its long established policy and insist that a state event must be authorised by its state assocation and will not allow this required authorisation to be bypassed by direct submission to the ACF.
As such Nigels clubs only option is to submit his event via the CV ratings officer.
If Nigels club does not wish to do this because they are unhappy with the CV rating fees then the correct course of action for Nigels club is to lobby the other CV clubs to support them and get the CV rating fee changed.

Bill Gletsos
19-04-2005, 08:38 PM
In an effort to reduce matt continuing to spread rubbish and misinformation to those that really dont know, I'll make the following response.

A “State” entity has no rights. Only people have rights. States have duties as does the ACF.No, the ACF constitution confers rights on the State associations, Affliated bodies and honorary members.
As such The ACF Council determines policy. I rate what the ACF Council authorises.
The State associations who are represented by state delegates on the ACF Council are not about to allow non authorised events to be rated. If Sweeney cant get that thru his thick skull then he is just wasting everyones time.

Dorothy Dibley are run by an ACF affilated body the AWCL and their rating is authorised by the ACF. Overseas oceania Zonals are not state events and the ACF authorisng them for rating does not infringe on any states authorisation.

So, if CV did not approve of Nigel and his club and the event, the ACF ratings officer would not rate it?Correct. If an event run in Victoria is not authorised for rating by CV then it wont be rated.

WTF does “approve” mean? Does it mean
“is on the calendar” or does it mean
“will submit SP to ACF” or maybe simply
“not unapproved.”It is clear what it means you idiot. It means if CV wont authorise it to be rated it wont be rated. The means by which CV and all states authorise events for rating is by submitting them to the ACF Rating Officers via their respective State Rating Officers. The only times I accept events directly is when the event is very close to the rating publishing date and I am certain that the State association will authorise the event.
If Nigels club disaffiliated itself from CV and joined with MCC beginning a break away group? Would the ACF rate it’s events?No.

The rules were bent for DD and they were evaded for the zonals.Totally incorrect. The ACF Council can authorise events for rating. The ACF Council however is clearly not going to overturn a states rights to authorise or not authorise an event simply because some club or individuals have issues with their state association.

For consistency sake you would have to rate them.No, for consistencies sake and in line with ACF Council policy their events would not be rated.

Since Gletsos has the ultimate power to rate or not rate – regardless of what the rest of the ACF says – he chooses to rate Nigels event or not.Rubbish. Graham and I rate what the ACF allows us to rate based on ACF policy. ACF policy does not allow us to rate events not authorised by their respective State Associations or the ACF Council.

And if (when!) CV tells Nigel to *** off, where does Nigel turn? Maybe he could turn to, ummm, errr, let’s say, the national peak body the ACF. And once there Gletsos tells him to get ******.It isnt an ACF issue, it is a state issue. The ACF Council is not going to allow a club to bypass its own state stuctures and regulations, just because that club may have issues with its State Association.
If Nigel is turned away by CV then he should lobby the other CV clubs to support his view. If the other CV clubs wont support him, then he is out of luck.

ElevatorEscapee
19-04-2005, 10:33 PM
:(

Hi Mr G... :( I am sorry that you are unable to rate Victorian club results without Victorian club statistics....)

Very much good luck is being in your directioning!

ElevatorEscapee
19-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Now, will you please be so kind as to explain as to why you considered it necessary to expose my identity? I am sure my solicitors would be delighted to hear your explanation too :lol:

Bill Gletsos
19-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Now, will you please be so kind as to explain as to why you considered it necessary to expose my identity? I am sure my solicitors would be delighted to hear your explanation too :lol:What are you rabbiting on about.
Where did I expose your identity. I have no clue who ElevatorEscapee is and I have never mentioned you in a post.

Alan Shore
20-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Damn, EE, was hoping no one else would post in this thread. It was so amusing to watch Bill talking to himself! ;)

Bill Gletsos
20-04-2005, 02:49 AM
Damn, EE, was hoping no one else would post in this thread. It was so amusing to watch Bill talking to himself! ;)Yes, but there were a good number of people reading the thread.

ElevatorEscapee
20-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Sorry Belthesar, travelling on public transport I see lots of people hunched over and seemingly muttering to themselves. "Poor sods, must be crazy", I think... then they put away their mobile phones.

I apologize for interrupting you William, please go on with your rant. :) (For the record, I've no idea as to Bill Glestos' true identity either. ;) )

Bill Gletsos
20-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Sorry Belthesar, travelling on public transport I see lots of people hunched over and seemingly muttering to themselves. "Poor sods, must be crazy", I think... then they put away their mobile phones.

I apologize for interrupting you William, please go on with your rant. :) (For the record, I've no idea as to Bill Glestos' true identity either. ;) )Either explain what you meant about having your identity exposed in post #7 or just stop wasting my time and go away and annoy someone else.

ElevatorEscapee
21-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Either explain what you meant about having your identity exposed in post #7 or just stop wasting my time and go away and annoy someone else.

Sorry Bill, it seems that I exposed myself in Post #7.. which is why I mentioned my solicitor in Post #8... (the last time I exposed myself in public, I needed a solicitor).

You see, I am a normal chess player by day, but a super hero at night, and I fight crime whilst wearing a stretchy, spandex costume and a cape, so I don't want my secret identity revealed.

In fact, I have become quite paranoid about it and my psychiatrist has informed me that it is a serious affliction and that I am over-reacting when I scream out "Ahhh you've given away my secret identity!!!!" when people call me by my name.

In any case, in response to your comment: "What are you rabbiting on about." (sic ... you neglected the question mark :P ) in post #9.

Well, the last time I went rabbiting was back in 1987, when, as a teenage boy when I used to breed ferrets. Only, we called it "ferreting". We would place special "rabbit nets" over the burrows, and send down the ferrets... ah, that brings back memories! I thank you for reminding me of those good times Bill!

You are obviously a very busy man to have to post on here so early in the morning, and I apologize for my silliness in response as I am clearly wasting your time... please ignore myself and my comments in future. :D

Signed, Captain Chess! (oh damn! I just gave away which super hero I was too!) :wall:

Bill Gletsos
21-04-2005, 11:08 PM
I suspect you exposed your identity to at least some people when you divulged in post #179 of the "Welcome new Members" thread that you once got stuck in the elevator with Kevin Perrin during the first round of a tournament at Ballarat.

As for the rest of your post, I suggest you dont stop taking your medication.

ursogr8
16-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Bill

Could you remind us of the planned timetables for the June ratings.
(Same for the RAPID)?

starter

ps Cutoff, in particular. But if you can include publication date that would be good I think we ran into this question last year for the VIC OPEN also.

Bill Gletsos
16-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Bill

Could you remind us of the planned timetables for the June ratings.
(Same for the RAPID)?Ideally organisers should have sent all completed events to their respective State Rating Officers by now.
Events that have completed this weekend should be sent ASAP so that State Rating Officers can have them to me by next Saturday 21st May. Any late finishing events should be sent to the respective State Rating Officers so they can have them to me by 28th May. I am expecting one NSW event to arrive May 30th.
The finalised June 2005 ratings should be sent to the State Rating Officers and the ACF webmaster either late on the evening of the 30th May or at worst on the 31st May for publication on the ACF web site on the 1st June.

ps Cutoff, in particular. But if you can include publication date that would be good I think we ran into this question last year for the VIC OPEN also.I dont see why that should be a problem as the VIC Open runs the same weekend as the NSW Open and we had no problems due to the ratings cutoff or are you referring to the availability of the SP master files.

Ian Rout
19-05-2005, 09:58 AM
If anybody wants to play the How Good Is Barry's Calculator game, my Barry rating for June is 1897 from 16 games (and my Back Of Envelope rating is 1893.)

Bill Gletsos
19-05-2005, 11:34 AM
If anybody wants to play the How Good Is Barry's Calculator game, my Barry rating for June is 1897 from 16 games (and my Back Of Envelope rating is 1893.)Based on the ratings of your opponents at the start of the rating period your rating would be 1898.
However as was explained last year in ACF Bulletin #276 your opponents rating used in the calculation is based on an intermediate rating which reflects how they played during the rating period. Therefore given that your opponents as a group performed above their ratings then your rating based on their intermediate ratings would currently be 1902.

Ian Rout
19-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks Bill. Seeing Barry's calculator can't allow for the intermediate rating I think we can say it did quite well on that sample.

Bill Gletsos
19-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks Bill. Seeing Barry's calculator can't allow for the intermediate rating I think we can say it did quite well on that sample.I have found that Barry's calculator generally does quite well.

EGOR
19-05-2005, 02:02 PM
If anybody wants to play the How Good Is Barry's Calculator game, my Barry rating for June is 1897 from 16 games (and my Back Of Envelope rating is 1893.)
Where can you get "Barry's Calculator" please? :)

Bill Gletsos
19-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Where can you get "Barry's Calculator" please? :)http://www.bjcox.com/modules.php?name=Glicko_Calc