PDA

View Full Version : Visitor fees

Kevin Bonham
11-04-2005, 01:21 AM
From thread "mcc anazac day weekender 2005":

I have to admit, my one experience with the MCC in recent years was not a particularly pleasant one. This is what happened:

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine - one of the leading players in Qld at the time - was in Melb and wanted to check out a chess club while he was here. I suggested MCC even though I hadn't been there for a long time.

We dropped in on a Thursday night (a night which I thought might have been fairly well attended). There were maybe 3 or 4 guys sitting around playing Blitz so we thought we might as well have a couple of games too. We started a game and after we'd made a few moves, we heard a voice over our shoulder saying: 'that will be $5 visitors fee thanks!'

No 'hello', no 'welcome to our club'. Just, 'hand over the money'. Fair enough, we were happy to pay the fee, but we were made to feel like we were just a source of revenue rather than a potential valued member. (In contrast I was made to feel particularly welcome at Box Hill).

Can someone from the MCC comment on whether there is or is not a visitors fee of the type stated?

I'd be interested to hear more generally what other organisers do about non-members showing up at their club.

At the HICC we give non-members (including interstate visitors) their first three nights free. If they keep coming after that but do not join we charge them a couple of dollars a night, but this is actually very rare (especially as casual membership for those not wishing to play in tournaments is only $15.)

In your answer you might want to add whether you charge members a fee per night on top of their membership; we don't.

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 01:36 AM
I'd be interested to hear more generally what other organisers do about non-members showing up at their club.

We are hosted and sponsored in a local leagues club and NSW licensing regulations address repeat visits from 'locals'. That notwithstading, all regular players are strongly encouraged to become a member of the leagues club (around $5/year).

Beyond that there are no fees charged to visitors or members. Social games can be played for no charge. Tournaments attract entry fees which are usually less than $20 per tournament.

firegoat7
11-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Can someone from the MCC comment on whether there is or is not a visitors fee of the type stated?

MCC do not generally charge people who visit the club without playing chess, however we do reserve the right to hastle anybody over a visitors fee if we deem them a pest (yes we do have some regular annual offenders).

Our policy for newbies is first visit is for free, 2nd visit $5.

We try to go easy on interstate and international visitors, since often they are just passing though and just want to see the place. If they are there for more then a week, we generally start charging them.

A specific problem with our club is that because we are open 7 days a week, every year we get the same old faces and, always a couple of new people who seem to think that chess at MCC ought to be free. Often they will just hang around the club doing nothing much except slagging the place off (Im not exagerating it happens alot). Personally I'm fed up with these type of people, they indirectly insult all the members who do pay their annual fees.
Generally, whenever we eventually tire of them and kick them out, they can be heard whinging in Victorian chess circles about "how MCC did them wrong".

Honestly, I believe our attitude is fairly relaxed. Let me sum it up this way.

Two years ago we had an International visitor from the USA play chess at the club for 2 weeks. He was a friendly guy, introduced himself and let Greg know that he didn't have much cash on him. He said he would like to play some blitz while he was in town. Greg looked after him, let him play everynight for free. A month later we get this lovely letter from the guy, saying how much he enjoyed the club, together with a $20 US donation for the time he was here.
This guy got it, he understood that MCC was a community organisation, he understood that playing organised chess involves a bit of give and take.

Chees Fg7
P.S If we do hastle somebody straight up for a fee it is probably because we have had a bad week dealing with another 'freeloader', you know the straw that breaks the camels back.

ursogr8
11-04-2005, 08:12 AM
MCC do not generally charge people who visit the club without playing chess, however we do reserve the right to hastle anybody over a visitors fee if we deem them a pest (yes we do have some regular annual offenders).

Our policy for newbies is first visit is for free, 2nd visit $5.

<snipped to save server space>.

hi fg7

Great post of yours, showing that you have an entirely reasonable approach to the various categories of visitors who make use of your facility.

Box Hill charges the same amount, but probably has an easier task of it than MCC. We don't have many who just front to play Blitz. The casuals are more often parents, or book-shop browsers. Further, most times we dragoon them into a role for the evening (eliminate the bye, keep scores, etc).

Incidentally, we had quite a collection of your mates at BHCC last Friday night for the Allegro; and you have them well-trained mate.....they offered the VISITORS fee money without propmting from us. ;)

regards
starter

Spiny Norman
11-04-2005, 06:31 PM

We're still finding our way with this ... current policy at Croydon Chess:

- membership $50pa covers all the basics (venue access, equipment, etc)
- casual play $2/night for non-members, members play for free
- first night always free (we keep a visitors book and try to greet all people by name ... I am TERRIBLE at remembering names, but I keep trying nonetheless!)
- rated tournaments are $10 entry fee (covers rating cost + end-of-year trophy), we don't offer prize money at this stage (club is too small)
- you must be either a Croydon member or a member of an affiliated club to enter a tournament
- coaching outsourced to Chess Kids (club makes no margin, done at cost)
- cafe "pay as you go" ... soft drinks/brewed coffee/tea @ $1/each, capuccinos at $2/each

We may consider lowering the membership fee in future once we have all our equipment purchases sorted, but for now all those fees go into club setup costs and probably will continue to do so for the next couple of years (digital clocks being the cost they are!).

Garvinator
11-04-2005, 06:32 PM
At Brisbane Chess Club the money charged are:

$30 membership, you dont have to be a member.

$7 for each tournament to enter, this includes caq rating fees, acf admin fees and general club money raising.

$4 for each night (members), $5 per night for non members. Concessions/students etc get $1 less on these two figures.

The club championship also costs $10 extra to enter and non members arent eligible to win any championship.

Brisbane Chess Club has very few social chess nights, instead tournament nights are held almost each week from February to end of november.

WhiteElephant
11-04-2005, 06:37 PM
We're still finding our way with this ... current policy at Croydon Chess: first night always free (we keep a visitors book and try to greet all people by name ... I am TERRIBLE at remembering names, but I keep trying nonetheless!)

:clap: Sounds great. Very important to make new members feel welcome.

arosar
11-04-2005, 06:41 PM
We're still finding our way with this ... current policy at Croydon Chess:

Hey mate, I been meaning to ask you something mate. I noticed before you're in some sort of a christian house or something rather. Do you accept only your kind or are you open to people of other beliefs?

AR

Spiny Norman
11-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey mate, I been meaning to ask you something mate. I noticed before you're in some sort of a christian house or something rather. Do you accept only your kind or are you open to people of other beliefs?

Yep, we meet in a church. Not your traditional stained-glass windows job though, we converted it from a factory, its in an industrial estate in Croydon.

Open to anyone. The more the merrier. Even AC could be a member if he wanted to, provided he minded his P's and Q's and kept his diatribes to himself. ;) Our club is very much a community club. Its not like we open every tournament with a prayer from the padre or anything silly like that ... :eek:

Garvinator
11-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Its not like we open every tournament with a prayer from the padre or anything silly like that ... :eek:
unless the arbiter is a padre ;)

ElevatorEscapee
11-04-2005, 07:44 PM
In Bendigo, our treasurer was unemployed for a long time and therefore he believes in doing things on a shoestring. Furthermore, we are fortunate to receive discounted rent.

We charge yearly rates of: $15 full and $10 per year concession/junior (It was increased to these rates a couple of years ago to incorporate the $5 per player per year fee that Chess Victoria charges as part of their affiliation fee).

On top of that there is a weekly charge of $2 full, or $1 per week concession/junior (this covers the rent for the venue for the one night per week we meet). Players who can't afford the weekly fee on the night can pay it next week (or the week after).

The first night is always free for visitors/new members.

Parents are encouraged to stay with no charge (nothing controls the behaviour of a group of juniors quite like some of their Mums sitting at a nearby table). ;)

Tea/Coffee/Milo/Milk & Biscuits are taken care of by a volunteer coffee officer (who also washes the cups). He keeps his own books, and seems to get by on donations of one or two dollars every now and again from members (or visiting parents who also want a cuppa). Of course, this wouldn't work without the member volunteering his time.

The only tournament entry fee that is charged is a flat $3 for the annual club championship, this is designed to cover engraving fees on the trophy and a $30 book prize for the club champ (who in the last three years has chosen to donate the book prize money back to the club).

Our tournaments are not rated simply because club members had voted in several AGMs against paying the extra $5 fee per player per tournament rating fee, and the club itself could not bear the extra cost.

The overall unofficial philosophy of the club seems to be that nobody should be excluded from playing chess simply because of their financial circumstances. Ironically, the club doesn't seem to have attracted any "freeloaders" (ie people consistently showing up to play chess and unable to pay their fees).

The club has managed to keep running for the past few years with an annual turnover of around $1,000. (Of course, much of this relies on members volunteering their time and energy... without which, there would be no club).

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 08:11 PM
There was an incident at the Melbourne Chess Club with Andrew Fletcher and tournament fees and membership fees. I wonder whether anybody asked Andrew Fletcher to leave. I think not. He was "part of the club". I wonder if anybody from the committe will post what actually happened before I have to. Let me just say it was embarrasing and the people who pay for this mistake are the "new" members, not Andrew Fletcher or the committee.

JGB
11-04-2005, 08:34 PM
There was an incident at the Melbourne Chess Club with Andrew Fletcher and tournament fees and membership fees. I wonder whether anybody asked Andrew Fletcher to leave. I think not. He was "part of the club". I wonder if anybody from the committe will post what actually happened before I have to. Let me just say it was embarrasing and the people who pay for this mistake are the "new" members, not Andrew Fletcher or the committee.

Happy> For someone who seems to hate the MCC, it strikes me as weird that you spend such a great portion of your life there. :hmm:

Alan Shore
11-04-2005, 10:13 PM
At Uni of QLD, it's $5 membership for the year. We have regular tournaments, free entry for members, $2 for non-members (chocolate prizes) and some cash prize tourns ($2 members $5 non-members), 1st prize is half fo all entry receipts, 2nd quarter that, 3rd eighth. Best value for money club in Oz I bet ;)

Garvinator
11-04-2005, 10:46 PM
At Uni of QLD, it's $5 membership for the year. We have regular tournaments, free entry for members, $2 for non-members (chocolate prizes) and some cash prize tourns ($2 members $5 non-members), 1st prize is half fo all entry receipts, 2nd quarter that, 3rd eighth. Best value for money club in Oz I bet ;)
might want to add that none of the tournaments are of 'normal/classical'
time length and none are rated either. Just to give a complete picture type of effect ;)

Alan Shore
11-04-2005, 10:58 PM
might want to add that none of the tournaments are of 'normal/classical'
time length and none are rated either. Just to give a complete picture type of effect ;)

Incorrect. We have had rated matches against other clubs with classical time controls. No one has ruled out longer time control tournaments for this year either.

Garvinator
11-04-2005, 11:11 PM
No one has ruled out longer time control tournaments for this year either.
no one has ruled them in either ;) and tell me when they are coming up, will they be normal acf rated?

Alan Shore
11-04-2005, 11:20 PM
no one has ruled them in either ;) and tell me when they are coming up, will they be normal acf rated?

We'll see!

pax
12-04-2005, 09:30 AM

I wonder how much you pay in rent ;)

arosar
12-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Best value for money club in Oz I bet ;)

I doubt it. Fairfield CC was the best when I was playing for them a couple of years ago. Members who played in w/enders received subsidy for the entry fee plus an allowance for lunch. And if you played in team comps you got a $20 cab fare too. Of course, if you played in the outback like Rooty Hill or the Mounties, that was hardly enough.

AR

JGB
12-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Fairfield CC was the best when I was playing for them a couple of years ago. ...
AR

Im sure it was, mate. :cool:

;)

Kevin Bonham
13-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Debate about Happy Friend has been moved to Happy Friend thread in non-chess section. Please confine debate about Happy Friend to that thread, thanks.

firegoat7
13-04-2005, 11:48 PM
KB,

When you split the thread you lost a post that should be between the new 78 and 79.

Cheers Fg7

Kevin Bonham
14-04-2005, 12:13 AM
KB,

When you split the thread you lost a post that should be between the new 78 and 79.

79 is a cut and paste of your thread which was on this thread - although it says it's posted by me it is actually a quote of your post.

Or maybe you're referring to the post posted by gareth, which he deleted.