PDA

View Full Version : moderation in all things ... important

paulb
05-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Jeo has agreed to hand full and exclusive admin and moderating rights to myself and Kevin Bonham, and to allow posting according to the familiar rules of the old ACF board on this site, without any restriction to particular areas. He and Gandalf will not moderate or admin here any more.

A requirement of the new situation is that all posters agree to indemnify ChessKit, the ACF, the admins and moderators and any other concerned parties for the full cost of any legal action caused by illegal posts made by them. This means that if you make an illegal (eg defamatory) post and someone else is sued for it (eg me), you agree to cover all costs.

This is a very generous move by Jeo and I thank him. It gives access to a very fast, very functional board for robust but reasonable discussion of Australian chess and other matters.

There has of course been a vigorous debate about the future of the bulletin board in recent days, and I suspect that will continue. But notwithstanding my suggestions of earlier today, I think this is a very significant offer which should be looked at favourably.

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2004, 11:46 PM
*applause to Paul and Jeo*

(I had nothing to do with this one)

This is a promising breakthrough indeed - that removes the issue of conflicting moderation standards in different parts of the board. Assuming this holds, the case in favour of staying is much stronger.

Private ownership and culture clash with CK juniors may still be an issue but I was more concerned about the possible conflict from having bits of the board under different rules.

Paul, we may want to have a chat offline about how (if at all) we want to change standards compared to the old BB. Send me a PM or email if you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks to Jeo especially - this is a very generous offer and I hope it will bring him the benefits he wants too.

Bill Gletsos
05-01-2004, 11:51 PM
I agree.

Well done Paul and Jeo. =D>

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2004, 12:00 AM
I propose that we either remove, or otherwise indicate as out of date, all the several previous moderation notices that have been rendered redundant by this latest development. This will avoid confusion for new posters.

All those with strong opinions against this, or strong opinions for one of remove/indicate as out of date, please speak within the next day or so.

Garvinator
06-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Kevin, i will admit that i dont understand what your previous post means, can you explain further please?

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2004, 12:19 AM
There are a couple of places on the board where the moderation policy is decribed under announcements or moderation policy as it was prior to Paul's announcement above.

As such this could lead to confusion for people reading the old announcements.

Kevin is therefore suggesting they either be deleted or marked as out of date.

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Sorry for explaining myself poorly. Bill's right - there is a long post up by Jeo explaining how we would run the board split into two halves, and there is one up by me outlining a rather strict policy on swearing. These are now out of date, so they will be confusing to new members. I was proposing to either put an "out of date" comment on them or else delete them. Maybe the first is best as they are still part of the site's history, I don't know.

PHAT
06-01-2004, 12:41 AM
DO NOT delete. It is "history" and should be preserved. Just mark them as OUT OF DATE - [Link]

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Its been up less than 2 days with 70 odd views.

I suggest its deleted so as not to cause confusion and for the simple reason that way I'm not agreeing with Sweeney.

Rincewind
06-01-2004, 12:53 AM
It should be easy to preserve them by moving them all to a new thread called "***Obsoleted moderation posts***" or some such. That way they should not confuse newbies but can be found by oldbies if needs be.

skip to my lou
06-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Thanks to Jeo especially - this is a very generous offer and I hope it will bring him the benefits he wants too.

I certainly did benefit. Much experience gained.

PHAT
06-01-2004, 10:21 AM

Like sharing a cell with a lifer who likes the colour of your eyes.

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2004, 12:19 PM

Like sharing a cell with a lifer who likes the colour of your eyes.

Yet another fine demonstration of your class. :rolleyes:

chesslover
06-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Jeo has agreed to hand full and exclusive admin and moderating rights to myself and Kevin Bonham, and to allow posting according to the familiar rules of the old ACF board on this site, without any restriction to particular areas. He and Gandalf will not moderate or admin here any more.

A requirement of the new situation is that all posters agree to indemnify ChessKit, the ACF, the admins and moderators and any other concerned parties for the full cost of any legal action caused by illegal posts made by them. This means that if you make an illegal (eg defamatory) post and someone else is sued for it (eg me), you agree to cover all costs.

This is a very generous move by Jeo and I thank him. It gives access to a very fast, very functional board for robust but reasonable discussion of Australian chess and other matters.

There has of course been a vigorous debate about the future of the bulletin board in recent days, and I suspect that will continue. But notwithstanding my suggestions of earlier today, I think this is a very significant offer which should be looked at favourably.

WOW :D

What a wonderful agreement between Paul and Kartick. This is a very fine outcome, and you both should be very proud for your efforts. Welll done indeed

That was a very magnimonious guesture by Jeo. This is indeed a very significant guesture, and I hope others in this BB respond in kind by now agreeing to stay in this very functional new BB - rather than have 2 boards.

Paul's policy of making it a term of agreement for posting , to indemnify the ACF and Chesskit for defamatory posts is a inspired choice. :idea: This addresses the main arguement for having 2 boards, and also addresses the concerns raised by Bill about the chess kit moderators.

Well done. Australian chess is well served by you'll

chesslover
06-01-2004, 06:40 PM

Thank you for your very magnimonious guesture :)

Bob1
06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Arbiters
Is it possible to place a stop Bill & Matt from using one anothers posts as quotes - something I am sure that the whole www will benefit by a 50% reduction in the waste of bandwidth.

to Matt & Bill - grow up

chesslover
06-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Arbiters
Is it possible to place a stop Bill & Matt from using one anothers posts as quotes - something I am sure that the whole www will benefit by a 50% reduction in the waste of bandwidth.

to Matt & Bill - grow up

To be fair, it is not at all Bill's fault.

Matt frequently posts crap, and his posts have no basis in fact, reason or logic, and matt's thinks that posting frequently and loudly will convince others of the correctness of his views.

Bill on the hand is not lke that, and almost always is able to back his opinion with fact, logic and stats. He is a very straighforward man, and is not intimidated by matt's mindless abuse and drivial, and strives to let us other BB posters know what is the true "fact". Bill's posts are sometimes community posts, that enrich and make all of those who read them a little bit smarter and wiser

If anything I would second a motion to stop matt posting without thinking first.

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Arbiters
Now be nice bob. ;)

to Matt & Bill - grow up
You better hope not, both Matt and I are already taller than you. :D

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Bob1 - Actually Matt and Bill are not the worst offenders by proportion on that, although they may be the most prolific.

On another thread I suggested the following guidelines for good quoting:

* Try not to quote more than you are replying to - eg if you are only replying to one paragraph of a three-para post, remove the other two paras from your quote.
* In most cases quoting what the previous poster was replying to isn't needed - edit it out, just leave the parts you are replying to.
* While there are many exceptions, in most cases a post should contain more new than quoted material.

Neither Paul nor I have time to moderate stuff like this, but compliance from all posters at least most of the time would be very much appreciated. :)

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Generally I have been trying to follow those guidelines due to the nature of quote pyramiding on the board.

Bob1
06-01-2004, 07:41 PM
All
I am sure we are all in agreement with this (trivial) issue.
Bill & Matt both have much to offer this community.
(experience, wit, ideas - particularly NEW ideas, controversy etc etc)
I just get a little annoyed when good threads get hijacked by having to scroll though pages of (childish?) garbage to follow the real issue at hand. (some people actually pay for their time here - so let's give them their moneys worth).

btw I have the utmost respect for both these gentlemen (it is just that I use a dial up line to access this site!) - infact I even (almost) wish I was able to continue in a role on the NSWCA council with them.

guys just keep it brief & to the point.

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2004, 07:46 PM
btw I have the utmost respect for both these gentlemen (it is just that I use a dial up line to access this site!) - infact I even (almost) wish I was able to continue in a role on the NSWCA council with them.
Yes, your presence on Council is missed.

guys just keep it brief & to the point.
Not easy to accomplish when Matt continually posts rubbish. :rolleyes:
As such this needs to be pointed out to the less enlightened. :-k
Just look at Matt's marbles post. Fortunately Barry has taken him to task about that one. =D>

chesslover
06-01-2004, 08:08 PM
infact I even (almost) wish I was able to continue in a role on the NSWCA council with them.

why do you not want to go to our council. I enjoyed the time you were our President and the energy and enthusiasm you brought to the job.

Now that Bill is our president (and a wonderful and great president he is too), why not take another council position, even a non executive one. Your presence and that of Bill, Kerry and others in the Council (nut not Matt's :P ), can only benefit NSW chess

Trent Parker
08-01-2004, 04:16 PM
infact I even (almost) wish I was able to continue in a role on the NSWCA council with them.

why do you not want to go to our council. I enjoyed the time you were our President and the energy and enthusiasm you brought to the job.

Now that Bill is our president (and a wonderful and great president he is too), why not take another council position, even a non executive one. Your presence and that of Bill, Kerry and others in the Council (nut not Matt's :P ), can only benefit NSW chess

There's always the vice-President Position :-#

Bob1
08-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Vice is something I have a lot of (practical) experience with so Vice-President would be a good fit!
And I would be more than happy to work with the new council - particularly with Bill at the helm (taking all the flack)

However I am exploring a new interest (darts) again this year and my competition night is Thursday which conflicts with the NSWCA council meetings.
Darts exists in a far more social environment than chess (but is equally as well organised). As anyone who knows me - I love chess - but will never be more than a social player.
I will still be available to the NSWCA when I have free time available - I firmly believe that if we all just give a little bit of ourselves to the sport it will grow & prosper.

(actually the real reason is that Matt thrashed me last time we played)

Rincewind
08-01-2004, 06:54 PM
(actually the real reason is that Matt thrashed me last time we played)

I think Matt's play has improved recently. He did quite well in last year's Club Championship (=3rd in u-1600) just edged out of the prize money on tie-break. If he keeps up that sort of form his rating could well rise a couple of 100 points.

As to the reason, perhaps Matt has the drum on this. I believe he has been involved in the local junior coaching so perhaps that his helping him improve his own game as well.

PHAT
08-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Actually I am feeling a little pressure from my eldest daughter. I made the mistake of saying to her, "The day you beat me three times in a row in a fair dinkum match, I'll buy you a car." Now that is one challenge I should never made. :( So I have been training myself to "work hard" OTB instead of making moves in a casual manner. THAT has made the real difference - being focused and thorough.