PDA

View Full Version : Mental concentration and training

bunta
09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Can anyone give me some guidelines how to keep confident and have a tough mind during a chess game? i always tend to get nervous, because i know im capable of achieving so much more.
One thing is for sure, is that i lack confidence and it comes at the worse times, after a few wins then i feel good and i play well. but there should be a better way around this
Another question, how do you know if your improving, not referring to ratings i was wondering if there were any chess tutors around sydney.

antichrist
09-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Can anyone give me some guidelines how to keep confident and have a tough mind during a chess game? i always tend to get nervous, because i know im capable of achieving so much more.
One thing is for sure, is that i lack confidence and it comes at the worse times, after a few wins then i feel good and i play well. but there should be a better way around this
Another question, how do you know if your improving, not referring to ratings i was wondering if there were any chess tutors around sydney.

Hello again Bunta, glad you are posting again. I am about the lowest rated chess coach around the place but if I get in first it may look good.

re confidence, I suppose can only come from two sources. Either from having plenty of wins so deserved. Or born with an arrogrance like I was that no matter what others say etc I still hold up. You will see it in my debates as well. When things go wrong just become obstinate that no matter you tough or difficult you are going to fight this out to the end and going to win as well. You just let yourself relax and divorce yourself from reality a bit to get serenity where you can think purely. God almighty, I sound new-ageish which I despise.

The pros used sport psychologists.

I would IR who is online to say BS or otherwise.

Arrogant-One
09-04-2005, 02:13 PM
AntiChrist - This is your final warning - Start taking your medication again! Your doctor is very worried about you and all of us on chess chat are getting tired of your incessant whinging about things which are trivial. Either become a respectable chess player like myself, or resume your daily valium! The Ultimatum is being banned by the Council, of which I am a member. :evil:

antichrist
09-04-2005, 02:39 PM
AntiChrist - This is your final warning - Start taking your medication again! Your doctor is very worried about you and all of us on chess chat are getting tired of your incessant whinging about things which are trivial. Either become a respectable chess player like myself, or resume your daily valium! The Ultimatum is being banned by the Council, of which I am a member. :evil:

Nothing short of banning will save me. But I was not whinging in this thread. In that other thread where I did whinge I was giving Frosty advice because he is also building.

Oh, my whinging about having my pope poll deleted. Well show me consistency or ban yourself for being terribly off-thread! And what Council may we be discussing?

Rincewind
09-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Bunta,

It's hard to give psychological advise without knowing your personality and different people need molding in different ways. Also everyone has different ideas. These are mine which I offer for you consideration. They might not work for you but perhaps you can get something useful from them.

I think mental toughness comes from practice so play lots of games following these guidelines

- Don't resign a game too early. Make your opponent demonstrate she knows how to win the won games.

- Don't offer draws too soon. You should only be thinking about draws if you are worse or have no winning chances at all.

- Likewise, don't accept draws unless you are obviously worse or have no winning chances.

- Never start a game planning to play for a draw. I think the best way to draw with a strong opponent is play for a win! In an equal position a strong opponent should not accept your draw offer so to draw against a stronger opponent you will probably have to outplay them anyway.

- Don't worry too much about side issues of tournament positions or rating points or previous mistakes. When playing a game concentrate 100% on playing the best move from the position you find on the board. This is the hardest to guideline to follow and probably the most important so work on it.

If you do these things I think increased mental toughness and powers of concentration are inevitable.

Garvinator
09-04-2005, 05:30 PM
- Never start a game planning to play for a draw. I think the best way to draw with a strong opponent is play for a win! In an equal position a strong opponent should not accept your draw offer so to draw against a stronger opponent you will probably have to outplay them anyway. I would also add that if you offer a draw when you have a better position, it is most likely going to be declined by the opponent if they outrate you by many rating points. The opponent will believe that if you have offered a draw, you mustnt think you can win the position, so they will play on just to see what happens.

previous mistakes. When playing a game concentrate 100% on playing the best move from the position you find on the board. one of the best pieces of advice I have read is to try and avoid following one mistake with another.

bunta
09-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Hello again Bunta, glad you are posting again. I am about the lowest rated chess coach around the place but if I get in first it may look good.

re confidence, I suppose can only come from two sources. Either from having plenty of wins so deserved. Or born with an arrogrance like I was that no matter what others say etc I still hold up. You will see it in my debates as well. When things go wrong just become obstinate that no matter you tough or difficult you are going to fight this out to the end and going to win as well. You just let yourself relax and divorce yourself from reality a bit to get serenity where you can think purely. God almighty, I sound new-ageish which I despise.

The pros used sport psychologists.

I would IR who is online to say BS or otherwise.

really? what's your rating? lol, oh i never knew that i'm still new to the site.
thanks for the advice guys! i need it for this thursday since there is a NSWJCL one day tournament at lidcombe.

antichrist
10-04-2005, 09:11 PM
really? what's your rating? lol, oh i never knew that i'm still new to the site.
thanks for the advice guys! i need it for this thursday since there is a NSWJCL one day tournament at lidcombe.

My advice re putting troubles out of your mind is especially for long games. There are definitely big game nerves but usually after having enough of them you get over them.

b1_
20-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Bunta, I know what that feels like. When I was in school it was the same. Since then I've learned a few things.

Chess is fun. Never forget that.
Wins are good for your ego, losses are good for your chess development. Every loss is an opportunity see where you went wrong then never make that mistake again (just remember to record your games - very important). Every Grand Master I've read about has said they improved most when they started playing stronger apponents that beat them, so find the strongest player you can find and ask them for a game.

If you want to be a fighter you need to toughen up your mind. Sports people toughen their bodies by jogging 20kms a day, chess plays read chess books. You would be surprised at the lack of talent some of todays greatest players showed when they were beginners. What this means is don't be overawed by stronger players, most do not have God-like calculating ability, they're just more experienced, and have read more.

Keep these in mind next you play, stay cheerful and have fun, win or lose you still win.

Trent Parker
21-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Bunta, I know what that feels like. When I was in school it was the same. Since then I've learned a few things.

Chess is fun. Never forget that.
Wins are good for your ego, losses are good for your chess development. Every loss is an opportunity see where you went wrong then never make that mistake again (just remember to record your games - very important). Every Grand Master I've read about has said they improved most when they started playing stronger apponents that beat them, so find the strongest player you can find and ask them for a game.

If you want to be a fighter you need to toughen up your mind. Sports people toughen their bodies by jogging 20kms a day, chess plays read chess books. You would be surprised at the lack of talent some of todays greatest players showed when they were beginners. What this means is don't be overawed by stronger players, most do not have God-like calculating ability, they're just more experienced, and have read more.

Keep these in mind next you play, stay cheerful and have fun, win or lose you still win.

You know, physical excercise can improve your chess as well..... I'm a big person (a very big person) and started to go to the gym to loose some Kg's... Surprise surprise my chess improved.... I got 4/7 at the Toukley U2000 tournament, and started the City of Sydney Quite well! the last couple of weeks in the COS i wasn't going as much as i wanted and my chess dropped, and last week i played in the C of S rapid play and went extremely badly (although rapid play is not my strength). I started frequently going back to the gym this weeks so we'll see how my results go....

Anyhow some of the top chess players use physical excercise as part of their training for tournaments!(the healthy body = healthy mind theory) Before winning the World championship in 1972 Bobby Fischer did weight training as part of his preparation. Gary Kasparov liked to play some tennis in preparation for a tournament.

But books do help as well! :D

Davidflude
21-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Aids to concentration.

The following will help.

1) physical fitness - I can remember coming back from ten days skiing Treble Cone (this was in the days when it had a rope tow with a nutcracker). For some time afterwards I played better than normal. Oh and Bobby Fischer prepared for Spassky by working out at the same training camp where Mohammed Ali prepared for his first fight with Sonny Liston.

2) get plenty of sleep the night before the game. In weekenders try and get away from the other players. At the Begonia this year I had a shower and a lie down after round 5. When I returned I could see tired chess players in all directions.

3) Do a warm up. Looking at a few tactical exercises before the game will help.

4) Play one round at a time. Do not let your results from a previous round
influence your play in thde current round.

5) Try and play the board not the man. Don't get psyched out by the eight hundred pound gorilla.

6) Draws. Correct is to offer a draw when the position is dead in the water
or when you have an advantage but not enough to win. I know one Victorian
player who plays on and on in dead drawn positions. Correct is to concentrate extra hard. When she finally offers a draw insist that the equals
sign be written on both scoresheets. Then make her sit there until your flag is close to dropping before accepting the draw.

7) Sex - Is reputed not to have any affect whatsoever on marrried blokes.
Single blokes should consider their priorities. As for sheilas - even Sigmund Freud had problems figuring them out.

JGB
21-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Aids to concentration.
player who plays on and on in dead drawn positions. Correct is to concentrate extra hard. When she finally offers a draw insist that the equals
sign be written on both scoresheets. Then make her sit there until your flag is close to dropping before accepting the draw.

Im not posting here much at the moment, but I need to know, are you serious here David ?
Its a game of chess not the signing of the Versailles treaty !

Comrade
25-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Nice summary David... not sure about the etiquette in #6 though. In #7 are you saying that between rounds is ok? Or leave it until after the days play?

Duff McKagan
29-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Nice summary David... not sure about the etiquette in #6 though. In #7 are you saying that between rounds is ok? Or leave it until after the days play?

He might be suggesting that young guys should refrain from flying solo during the game. ;)

WhiteElephant
29-04-2005, 05:54 PM
The Jamaican Chess Chess Champion was getting plenty before, after and during his games at Begonia and I heard the same about Doeberl.

Rincewind
29-04-2005, 06:44 PM
The Jamaican Chess Chess Champion was getting plenty before, after and during his games at Begonia and I heard the same about Doeberl.

How were his results (on the crosstables)?

WhiteElephant
29-04-2005, 06:59 PM
How were his results (on the crosstables)?

At both Tournaments he peaked early then had nothing in the tank coming home.

Rincewind
29-04-2005, 07:03 PM
At both Tournaments he peaked early then had nothing in the tank coming home.

Well maybe Fludey has an example. ;)

firegoat7
30-04-2005, 03:27 PM

1. Never study any chess just before a game

2. Remember your opponent is a warrior (he or she) who deserves the upmost respect and dignity both before and after the game.

3. Never ever worry about anything that has previously happenend in the game, just look at the position

4. Practise mind/ breathing exercises that allow you to calm down psychologically.

5. Play with all your physical and mental power.

6. Take time to write your scoresheet clearly, one of the most important pieces of advice you will ever hear. If you can fill in the scoresheet in a calm manner, you are on the way to success.

cheers Fg7

antichrist
30-04-2005, 03:36 PM
FG7, I have no idea who you are but I disagree with your no. 1, that is don't study any chess beforehand.

If one thinks they can control the opening a nice little simple thing one can study is the traps associated with that opening.

What do you mean by no. 5 physical power, some so and so wrecked my clock by doing that.

firegoat7
30-04-2005, 05:14 PM
FG7, I have no idea who you are but I disagree with your no. 1, that is don't study any chess beforehand.

If one thinks they can control the opening a nice little simple thing one can study is the traps associated with that opening.

No worries AC, Your entitled to your own opinion and whatever works for you works for you and maybe others aswell.

What do you mean by no. 5 physical power, some so and so wrecked my clock by doing that.

I think physical fitness is really important for playing competitive chess.

Cheers Fg7

antichrist
30-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I should not be divulging my coaching secrets.

You won't answer me on the other thread so maybe on this, what took you 4 weeks to respond? Did you have a brain haemmorage(?)

bunta
05-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Aids to concentration.

The following will help.

1) physical fitness - I can remember coming back from ten days skiing Treble Cone (this was in the days when it had a rope tow with a nutcracker). For some time afterwards I played better than normal. Oh and Bobby Fischer prepared for Spassky by working out at the same training camp where Mohammed Ali prepared for his first fight with Sonny Liston.

2) get plenty of sleep the night before the game. In weekenders try and get away from the other players. At the Begonia this year I had a shower and a lie down after round 5. When I returned I could see tired chess players in all directions.

3) Do a warm up. Looking at a few tactical exercises before the game will help.

4) Play one round at a time. Do not let your results from a previous round
influence your play in thde current round.

5) Try and play the board not the man. Don't get psyched out by the eight hundred pound gorilla.

7) Sex - Is reputed not to have any affect whatsoever on marrried blokes.
Single blokes should consider their priorities. As for sheilas - even Sigmund Freud had problems figuring them out.

Physical fitness? are you serious? well ok, i just find that hard to believe, but how does that work? With the tactical exercises, did you mean read a few chess puzzles? hmm ok, well i have the winter one day tomorrow, and two day straight after. Lol three days straight worth of chess! :eek:

Bereaved
10-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Dear Bunta,

there have been numerous books written about chess psychology, and all of them seem to speak to some extent of the aspect of the body physical.
Botvinnik wrote a piece on preparing for tournaments, and it is printed within his 100 selected games, and in some of his other books.

As far as recent works in this area, The seven deadly chess sins by Jonathon Rowson, certainly has some interesting thoughts on chess, as it takes a viewpoint derived from the book Emotional Intelligence, by Dan Goleman, and applied that to chess: In a nutshell, the premise is that all activity is conducted in an emotional sphere and that chess is no different, so suggests ways to harness positive emotional responses, and to take precautions of those that are detrimental,

Take Care, God Bless and good luck with it all,
Macavity VP

PS I agree with Firegoat, that you should respect your opponent. I have even heard it suggested to avoid conversations with them beforehand, to avoid them getting in your skull?! That last one is a subjective matter however ( or dare I say emotional!! :owned: )

M