PDA

View Full Version : Beating up Fritz...

Thunderspirit
09-04-2005, 09:48 AM
For those who play with Fritz they will know that you can play rated games and gain titles. There are 30 titles ranging from "Chess Player" which everyone gets after 6 or 7 games to GM, with titles like "ambitious club player" in between.

I once came up with the idea could I get the GM title on Fritz. Which I did without computer assistance. What you do is crank up the rating to max which depending on the machine is between 2600-2800, and you don't try and win, but find opening lines where the machine takes a 3 move repetition, and so draws.

If you keep doing this you're rating goes up, and you go through the titles. Seeing that the PC gives you the GM title at 2500, you are always lower rated so you're ok. I don't know if there is a "Super GM title" or World Champ for example...

I did this a few years back, it's not hard. It took about 2 hours. You just have to take some time to fiddle in the opening to find those repetition positions. On my machine as white, I used the London system.

If you want a GM title that not a BB one, and that you've actually earnt (well sort of...) Give it ago, it worth the laugh...

Has anyone else ever done this??

skip to my lou
09-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Not 1337.

1min_grandmaster
09-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I have noticed that you can get 3-fold repetitions with Fritz fairly easily, I have done this in some blitz and bullet games. If you play through the same moves (and it chooses the same opening line), you can repeat the entire game and keep drawing.

Of course the only reason it does this is because it is programmed to play what it considers to be the best move. If it were 'more intelligent', it would realise it was playing a 'weak' human and would play an inferior move so that it can win.

It's not much fun drawing with Fritz like this, it is more fun beating it. Indeed, there is a way you can learn how to beat Fritz easily. Just get Fritz to play itself, then start a new game and repeat the moves of the winning side. If Fritz repeats the opening of the losing side, you can beat it, and perhaps get a higher title. But I've never tried this, it's kind of unsatisfying.

Rincewind
09-04-2005, 10:40 AM
The winning games aganist Fritz strategy is a good idea. If winning was consistently achievable it would mean you're upper rating is unlimited. You could in theory get a Fritz chess rating of 1,000,000. Mind you you would have to have a way of ensuring you don't lose any game - because a 999,999 rating player (vs a 2800 patzer) would lose a ton of points even in the case of a draw.

Kevin Bonham
09-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I did this a few years back, it's not hard. It took about 2 hours. You just have to take some time to fiddle in the opening to find those repetition positions. On my machine as white, I used the London system.

I would think that to do this you would need to start aiming to do it from the start.

I have been playing "rated" blitz games with Fritz 6 on its highest rating setting for several years. Because my rating according to it is a mere 2217 (and used to be much lower) it learns from too many draws not to play a given line against me and gives up that line before my rating can inflate too much. After I thumped it with the Closed French Tarrasch a couple of times it decided 1.e4 was really not a good idea for a while.

My total score against it is +8=91-1488.

Thunderspirit
09-04-2005, 07:42 PM
My total score against it is +8=91-1488.[/QUOTE]

Well that's close to 50%! :D

Comrade
11-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Hmm three move repetitions with Fritz doesn't sound like something i'd be doing on a Sunday afternoon...

Bijan
15-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I would think that to do this you would need to start aiming to do it from the start.

I have been playing "rated" blitz games with Fritz 6 on its highest rating setting for several years. Because my rating according to it is a mere 2217 (and used to be much lower) it learns from too many draws not to play a given line against me and gives up that line before my rating can inflate too much. After I thumped it with the Closed French Tarrasch a couple of times it decided 1.e4 was really not a good idea for a while.

My total score against it is +8=91-1488.

-1488 ? do you ever sleep ?

Axiom
15-03-2006, 07:02 PM
PERHAPS THE +8 SCORE CONTRIBUTES TO SOUND SLEEP,......i'd imagine!

Kevin Bonham
15-03-2006, 10:35 PM

That's over several years so it's only a few hundred blitz games per year, or less than one per day. I have the odd binge where I'll play a dozen or so on one night. Kinda lost interest lately except when I need blitz practice.

qpawn
16-03-2006, 01:11 PM
If you want to cook up this lollypop GM Fritz title b y moving pieces back 3 times to get a triple rep then that is your miserable existence in a nutshell.

However if you want to learn something from Fritz there is a training mode where you are asked to give the best move witha 5 min time limit. I won't tell you how to find that; you ahev a fantastic Fritz GM rating so you must be clever enough to work it out :D

Duff McKagan
16-04-2006, 06:57 PM
ahah Fritz GM titles.. funny... almost rivals the U.S.A's candidate and national master system... more titles seem to make rabs feel important. I guess it draws in more potential buyers having a titles system in the program.