PDA

View Full Version : Sorokina in the Dubai Open

pax
06-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I notice that WIM Sorokina is playing in the humungous Dubai Open (150 players, 53 GMs):
http://www.dubaichess.com/dubaiopen05/index.htm

pax
07-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Anyone know what the relation is between Anastasia Sorokina and GM Maxim Sorokin? Any chance of the GM being persuaded to defect?

Garvinator
07-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Anyone know what the relation is between Anastasia Sorokina and GM Maxim Sorokin? Any chance of the GM being persuaded to defect?
husband i believe, but could be wrong. I know she is married and lives near me actually :eek:

pax
07-04-2005, 02:22 PM
husband i believe, but could be wrong. I know she is married and lives near me actually :eek:

Don't you think we would have heard about it if a former Soviet GM was living in Australia for several years?

Nope, Maxim is married to Natalia Sorokina (also a chess player) I believe. Perhaps brother or uncle?

Garvinator
07-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Don't you think we would have heard about it if a former Soviet GM was living in Australia for several years?

Nope, Maxim is married to Natalia Sorokina (also a chess player) I believe. Perhaps brother or uncle?
yes you are right, Maxim is married to Natalia Sorokina, just did some google searching ;) :cool:

Garvinator
16-04-2005, 01:02 AM
Anastasia appears in a chessbase article of her travels with a few other players and sponsors.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2324

From looking at the final standings and database games, it appears that Anastasia played only in the first round :hmm:

Leonid Sandler
16-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Anastasia Sorokina did played all 9 games in Dubai open and scored 4 points with performance rating of 2237 ,based on that she gained one rating point.

Garvinator
16-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Anastasia Sorokina did played all 9 games in Dubai open and scored 4 points with performance rating of 2237 ,based on that she gained one rating point.
oh ok, i wonder then why her results and games are missing? :hmm:

pax
26-04-2005, 09:39 AM
It was a most creditable result, probably not fairly represented by the FIDE Rp. Her losses were all to much higher rated players (over 150 above), and she also drew with IM Boricsev 2411 and Guseinov 2391.

How about that Wang Hao? It's pretty hard to believe that someone can emerge from obscurity so suddenly and finish ahead of 53 GMs as an untitled player.

Recherché
26-04-2005, 04:31 PM
It's pretty hard to believe that someone can emerge from obscurity so suddenly and finish ahead of 53 GMs as an untitled player.

Didn't Fischer do something a bit similar?

In fact I'm sure there's numerous examples of top players who had sudden and spectacular rises in playing ability at some point in their careers.

pax
28-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Didn't Fischer do something a bit similar?

In fact I'm sure there's numerous examples of top players who had sudden and spectacular rises in playing ability at some point in their careers.

Perhaps "hard to believe" was the wrong phrase. Of course I believe it - it's just an astonishing feat.

In fact, I would doubt whether an untitled player has ever finished outright first in any tournament ahead of so many grandmasters before.