PDA

View Full Version : Garry Kasparov on ABC radio

pax
05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Apparently GK was interviewed by Monica Attard on Sunday. You can listen (or read the transcript) here:
http://www.abc.net.au/sundayprofile/stories/s1335618.htm

Oepty
05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I listened to most of this interview and I did not think that he was that impressive. Maybe it was because he was not speaking his native language. I missed the start so thanks for the link, I will now read what was said then.
Scott

ursogr8
05-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Apparently GK was interviewed by Monica Attard on Sunday. You can listen (or read the transcript) here:
http://www.abc.net.au/sundayprofile/stories/s1335618.htm

I wonder if 'democratic games ' in the transcript slipped through the spell-checker, and should have read 'democratic gains '. :confused:
Either that or there is a new variant of chess I have to explore. ;)

And I am still working the meaning of "Russian Empire which was multinational multi-confessional state". :eek:

starter

auriga
05-04-2005, 01:27 PM
I wonder if 'democratic games ' in the transcript slipped through the spell-checker, and should have read 'democratic gains '. :confused:
Either that or there is a new variant of chess I have to explore. ;)

And I am still working the meaning of "Russian Empire which was multinational multi-confessional state". :eek:

starter

yep, read like should be gains. freudian slip maybe. :D
very interesting interview!!

pballard
05-04-2005, 02:46 PM
IAnd I am still working the meaning of "Russian Empire which was multinational multi-confessional state". :eek:

Multiple-confessional means having multiple religions. Religions or denominations are sometimes called "confessions", in the sense of "confessing" (i.e. stating) what one believes.

Reading between the lines, that'd be opposing measures to give preferential treatment to the Russian Orthodox church.

--
Peter

ursogr8
05-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Multiple-confessional means having multiple religions. Religions or denominations are sometimes called "confessions", in the sense of "confessing" (i.e. stating) what one believes.

Reading between the lines, that'd be opposing measures to give preferential treatment to the Russian Orthodox church.

--
Peter

Peter

Thanks for that explanation.
Makes sense now. :)

starter

arosar
05-04-2005, 05:09 PM
I listened to most of this interview and I did not think that he was that impressive. Maybe it was because he was not speaking his native language.

You should buy his DVD on the QGD. Sometimes he calls the QGD the 'King's Gambit'. Also there are those awkward moments when he pauses for a long time as he gathers his thoughts in English.

AR

Recherché
05-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Hmm, and yet he's described as one of the most impressive and dynamic public speakers in the chess world. Doesn't say much for the others, I guess...

Oepty
06-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Hmm, and yet he's described as one of the most impressive and dynamic public speakers in the chess world. Doesn't say much for the others, I guess...

He might well be a very impressive and dynamic public speaker in russian or another language. He seemed unsure of what to say at times during the interview and I was not sure whether it was because he wasn't sure how to say what he wanted in english. If this is the case then, certainly for me who only speaks english and most probably for all people, it is unfair to cricticize him for his seeming uncertainity. His ability to speak english is not likely to effect his political career much. In fact against an opponent who speaks no english it might even be a bonus.

Scott

JGB
06-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Come on! The guy speaks very good english for a non native speaker. Although he has weird kind of accent the ABC report proves to me he has a better concept of English than many 'Australian's I hear answer journo's questions on evening tv. Full creidit to him. Dont forget he is speaking with an 'Australian' who is heavily accented herself; which im sure to him sounded very weird, having learnt 'American European' English.

Oepty
06-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Come on! The guy speaks very good english for a non native speaker. Although he has weird kind of accent the ABC report proves to me he has a better concept of English than many 'Australian's I hear answer journo's questions on evening tv. Full creidit to him. Dont forget he is speaking with an 'Australian' who is heavily accented herself; which im sure to him sounded very weird, having learnt 'American European' English.

Of couse that is very true and I was not denying the quality of his english, just that he sometimes seemed to hesitated during the interview that made him sound that maybe he did not know what to say and was struggling to answer the questions. I am just saying that might be because he was not speaking in his native language rather than him not knowing what to say in answer to the question. If it was not a language problem then I think his time in politics will not be a success.
Scott

Rhubarb
06-04-2005, 07:06 PM
He might well be a very impressive and dynamic public speaker in russian or another language.
Dear Scott,

First of all, no-one would consider Kasparov a highly talented orator, but he is more than competent these days.

He seemed unsure of what to say at times during the interview and I was not sure whether it was because he wasn't sure how to say what he wanted in english.
He hesitated because he was searching his memory for the completely correct word in English, and invariably got it right (the ABC transcription, on the other hand, was totally littered with errors).

If this is the case then, certainly for me who only speaks english and most probably for all people, it is unfair to cricticize him for his seeming uncertainity. His ability to speak english is not likely to effect his political career much. In fact against an opponent who speaks no english it might even be a bonus.Perhaps you should consider what an enormous achievement it is to speak a foreign language in the first place. Next, consider the totally foreign alphabet (<edit>anglo types consider themselves bright if they learn another Latin-based language, let alone a Cyrillic or Asian language, for example). Next, consider that Kasparov is diligently pro-democracy. He is not running against Putin, but he wants the world to know - and he is of course using his fame throughout the (intelligent) world - that he thinks Putin's regime is undemocratic.

And he's right, of course.

We don't realise how lucky we are. Did anyone else see on last week's Foreign Correspondent how the West is basically condoning the most horrific torture of even moderate Muslims in Uzbekistan, all in the name of the 'War on Terror'?

(edit): I forgot the ending: The Texas oil f***wits are creating the terrorists.

By its greed and power and an abject cretin at the helm: America is creating the terrorists.

Oepty
07-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Dear Scott,

First of all, no-one would consider Kasparov a highly talented orator, but he is more than competent these days.

He hesitated because he was searching his memory for the completely correct word in English, and invariably got it right (the ABC transcription, on the other hand, was totally littered with errors).

Perhaps you should consider what an enormous achievement it is to speak a foreign language in the first place. Next, consider the totally foreign alphabet (<edit>anglo types consider themselves bright if they learn another Latin-based language, let alone a Cyrillic or Asian language, for example). Next, consider that Kasparov is diligently pro-democracy. He is not running against Putin, but he wants the world to know - and he is of course using his fame throughout the (intelligent) world - that he thinks Putin's regime is undemocratic.

And he's right, of course.

We don't realise how lucky we are. Did anyone else see on last week's Foreign Correspondent how the West is basically condoning the most horrific torture of even moderate Muslims in Uzbekistan, all in the name of the 'War on Terror'?

(edit): I forgot the ending: The Texas oil f***wits are creating the terrorists.

By its greed and power and an abject cretin at the helm: America is creating the terrorists.

Greg. I didn't make the claim that he was good public speaker, Recherche did.
I also acknowledged that learning a foreign language was an achievement in itself. I was not trying to deny that. Reread my comments.
Scott

Rhubarb
07-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Scott, yes you're right I shouldn't have addressed what were general comments specifically to you.