PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 16

Thunderspirit
25-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Afew years ago I saw a Commodore 16 (which looked like a granddad of the familar C64). I didn't have any money to but it, does anyone know anything about these machines??

skip to my lou
25-03-2005, 09:15 PM
I know someone that does..

skip to my lou
25-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Wait, you didn't have enough money to buy a Commodore computer?

skip to my lou
25-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Like, they actually sell it for a positive amount?

Rincewind
25-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Afew years ago I saw a Commodore 16 (which looked like a granddad of the familar C64). I didn't have any money to but it, does anyone know anything about these machines??

I have some vague recollections but I don't think there were a huge model. There was a predecessor called the Vic 20 and then the next "big" thing was the C=64.

I think there would probably be a few closets around the place which people would pay you to take away.

arosar
26-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Anyone remember the Amiga? Man, when I was high school, we used to buy those games magazines. What we had then was like the bomb. But now, thinking about current tech ... geez, that's technology for you.

And what about them Amstrads?

AR

Rincewind
26-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Anyone remember the Amiga? Man, when I was high school, we used to buy those games magazines. What we had then was like the bomb. But now, thinking about current tech ... geez, that's technology for you.

I've still got a couple of working one here. An A1000 and an A2000HD which is a little finickier I think due to battery acid leak onto the MB. My kids still play games on them, esp. Pinball Dreams/Fantasies. Still one of the best pinball games I've seen. Other games that get a run are the orignial Sim City and both Lemmings.

pax
26-03-2005, 11:03 AM

I think they actually came after C64 despite being inferior machines (designed as a lower end machine). 16k of RAM - now that's something!

Thunderspirit
26-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Wait, you didn't have enough money to buy a Commodore computer?

Good point. It was $8.00 at a St Vinnies and I didn't have much money as a 16 year old.

Omega's are actually pretty reasoanble machines, this old thing didn't even have a floppy just a cassette player...

Duff McKagan
26-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Download the WinVICE Commodore emulator (google search) , it comes with +4, PET, CBM2, C16, Vic-20, C64, and C128, plus all the standard drives and tape drives are emulated :)

Thunderspirit
26-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Good site,
I could buy one, but not for 100 Euros....

Thx...

ElevatorEscapee
27-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Actually there are large, worldwide "retro-computing" communities based on older computers such as the early Commodores.

The C16 was the younger brother of the plus 4, neither of which sold as successfully in Australia as the C64 or the later Commodore Amiga.

With regards to Commodore computers still being available for sale, both the C64 and Amiga (and related hardware and software) constantly show up on Aussie eBay, and collectors will pay a premium for an unusual item (such as the SX-64).

Indeed they even have relevance to chess: I first learnt the game of chess on a Commodore 64 against the ambitiously titled cassette program: "Masterchess".

Later, when I added a 5.25" floppy drive, I bought Chessmaster 2000, which played a reasonable game at 1 minute per move.

The later (and more powerful) Commodore Amiga also had a version of Chessmaster 2000 (which was much stronger than it's C64 counterpart).

For those interested in the history of particular retro computers, I am sure that a few key words entered into your search engine will provide many valid links to follow up. :)