PDA

View Full Version : cc tournament??

Garvinator
21-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Here is a thought :eek:

How many people would be interested in playing in a correspondence tournament on here?

After I get some interest (if any) :eek: , ill post some basic rules.

Trent Parker
22-03-2005, 12:02 AM
I in.

Garvinator
22-03-2005, 12:30 AM
I in.
ok that is one person, congrats tcn ;)

Trent Parker
22-03-2005, 09:34 AM
How would this go? Double Round Robin?

Recherché
22-03-2005, 10:12 AM
In theory, yes. However I could not consistently meet a 1 move per day deadline. So the time control would either have to be moderately flexible, or to be of the "x moves in x days" type.

Trent Parker
22-03-2005, 11:38 AM
In theory, yes. However I could not consistently meet a 1 move per day deadline. So the time control would either have to be moderately flexible, or to be of the "x moves in x days" type.

Yeah Ditto :D

Kaitlin
22-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi ya ggrayggray

I would be interested in playing in a correspondence tournament :).

In fact it even sounds like a brill idea :lick: ... bit like [QUOTE=Kaitlin]This is just a thing im thinking about for me and my friends and anyone who plays online like a little compitition thing. Im not even completely sure how it will work yet. ....but I got stuck at the 'a thing im thinking about'.... but yours is better cause you put all the thinking together and come up with a thought :) .

ps. the " , ill post some basic rules" is bit like my Im not even completely sure how it will work yet. is going to be the hard bit... and I got no ideas to help you :( (<-- thats why mine did't happen :( )

Rincewind
22-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Yeah Ditto :D

The usual sort of time limit for correspondence is 10 moves in x days, which accumulates. Milage may vary but you probably want x to be in the range 15-20. Which is pretty quick by corro standards.

Garvinator
22-03-2005, 12:02 PM
The usual sort of time limit for correspondence is 10 moves in x days, which accumulates. Milage may vary but you probably want x to be in the range 15-20. Which is pretty quick by corro standards.

1) the move rate would probably be one move every three days. Yes that is a bit quick by corro standards, but also those who are playing are normally regulars on here ;) and so come on here more than once every three days :eek:

2) Yes double round robin.

So far we have three players:

1) ggrayggray
2) Kaitlin
3) the chess nut

JGB, Recherche, Rincewind are you three going to play, what about Liberaci?

Any others I might have missed?

Rincewind
22-03-2005, 12:04 PM
JGB, Recherche, Rincewind are you three going to play, what about Liberaci?

Sorry, lack of free time prohibits my participation.

eclectic
22-03-2005, 12:08 PM
it would be good if there were interactive java boards here

asking people to manually set up and maintain boards would get too cumbersome

ideas:

a thread: chesschat correspondence chess championship

max ten players (for example)

double round robin

a crosstable grid with links to all games but you can only input moves into games where it is your turn

each time you log on to chesschat you can't post or shout unless you have made a move in one of your games ! :P

think of stc bunch or online chess league where you make arrangements to meet and play someone at a certain time

my idea is a variant ie have many games going on thus having a choice of which one you can make a move in

overambitous i know but perhaps food for thought

eclectic

Oepty
22-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I would like to play, but as I don't have the internet in my home it means I might stuggle to be on here for days at a time. I could probably meet 10 moves in 30 days, but to meet 1 move every 3 days is a bit impossible. If it is as large as 10 players then single not double round robin might be the way to go.
Scott

Garvinator
27-03-2005, 11:41 PM
just bringing this thread back to the top so ppl can see it again :D

JGB
02-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Just held out until now.... Count me in! ;)

Trent Parker
04-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I vote that we close entries this Sunday Night and start on Monday.

Garvinator
04-04-2005, 03:07 PM
I vote that we close entries this Sunday Night and start on Monday.
i agree.

So far we have:

1) ggrayggray
2) the chess nut
3) jgb
4) kaitlin

who have i missed or wants to play and I dont know about it?

Garvinator
05-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I am not in favour of a move rate of say 10 moves in 30 days as this means that both players have to co operate to make the move rates ie if i didnt want to move for the first 29 days, nothing could be done to make me move. Then the opponent has to wait and try and make the time control on that 30th day.

I want one move per day and I believe this achievable. We have four players who log in each day.

If we had one move per three days, would more players play?

JGB
05-04-2005, 04:02 PM
I am not in favour of a move rate of say 10 moves in 30 days as this means that both players have to co operate to make the move rates ie if i didnt want to move for the first 29 days, nothing could be done to make me move. Then the opponent has to wait and try and make the time control on that 30th day.

I want one move per day and I believe this achievable. We have four players who log in each day.

If we had one move per three days, would more players play?

Im ok with one move per day, although there needs to be a flexibility. If a move does not come within 24 hours its no big problem. We will usually keep above this rate anyways, but we for whatever reason it needs to be flexible.

1min_grandmaster
05-04-2005, 08:47 PM
I will play if it is more flexible. Here are some rules I propose:

1) 1 move per day but players can delay their moves up to a grand total of something, maybe 20 days. So for example, you can move 1 move per day then on move 10 take 3 days and move 14 take 4 days, and in total, you have added 5 days and can't add more than 20 days.

2) You can move faster than 1 move per day, e.g. player A moves today, player B responds today also, then player A has to make his move by tomorrow at the latest (player A can also make another move today, and so on).

Garvinator
05-04-2005, 09:34 PM

1) 1 move per day but players can delay their moves up to a grand total of something, maybe 20 days. So for example, you can move 1 move per day then on move 10 take 3 days and move 14 take 4 days, and in total, you have added 5 days and can't add more than 20 days. not so sure about this, ill think about it.

2) You can move faster than 1 move per day, e.g. player A moves today, player B responds today also, then player A has to make his move by tomorrow at the latest (player A can also make another move today, and so on).
I think this is pretty standard, the clocks starts running from when your opponent has made their move.

JGB
05-04-2005, 09:37 PM

1) 1 move per day but players can delay their moves up to a grand total of something, maybe 20 days. So for example, you can move 1 move per day then on move 10 take 3 days and move 14 take 4 days, and in total, you have added 5 days and can't add more than 20 days.

In regard to Part 1) I think we should use 10 days as the maximum without extension. Although we should be leniant if a player asks for an extra few days extension once or twice. I think it should be 24 hours after Player B has moved before player A recieves the late time warning.

Part 2) Naturally when its player A's turn to move he may do so whenever he wishes without waiting for a new day to dawn.

Trent Parker
05-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm normally online once or twice a day.

My concern with the ONe move per day rule is where i have a tournament to go to i sometimes dont log in those days.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 05:47 PM
i somehow suspect that bblooksee wont be able to play in our tourney :whistle:

1min_grandmaster
06-04-2005, 05:57 PM
In regard to Part 1) I think we should use 10 days as the maximum without extension.
Sounds good to me. I'll play if this '10 days in hand' rule is used.

So basically, the time control for this tournament is 10 days + 1 day per move from the start, where a day is 'part thereof'.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 05:58 PM
So basically, the time control for this tournament is 10 days + 1 day per move from the start, where a day is 'part thereof'.
so this means if i understand it that the time control is one move per day, but each person gets ten 'holiday' days, if they require some time away. is this correct?

JGB
06-04-2005, 06:01 PM
so this means if i understand it that the time control is one move per day, but each person gets ten 'holiday' days, if they require some time away. is this correct?

yeah pretty much, if they require it. It would be good to let your opponent know when you won't be in though. common courtesy is always nice. :)

Kerry Stead
06-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Count me in for this too ... why not?
I like the idea of putting an interface in the threads for the games somewhere ... just makes it easier ... unless you're all taking it seriously and plan on actually ANALYSING the position ...

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 08:59 PM
so we have six players now:

1) ggrayggray
2) tcn
3) jgb
4) 1 min grandmaster
5) Kerry Stead
6) Kaitlin

Recherche, is the move rate that we have agreed to more acceptable to you.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Count me in for this too ... why not?
I like the idea of putting an interface in the threads for the games somewhere ... just makes it easier ... unless you're all taking it seriously and plan on actually ANALYSING the position ...
what do you mean?

pax
06-04-2005, 10:13 PM
What about a ladder rather than a tourney? Ladders can be run with as many or as few people want to play at any given time. A tournament is a tricky business over such a long timescale.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 10:57 PM
What about a ladder rather than a tourney? Ladders can be run with as many or as few people want to play at any given time. A tournament is a tricky business over such a long timescale.
a ladder wouldnt be bad, but we are so close to starting a tourney, games will go up sunday night, that changing the format to a ladder system would create delays.

Perhaps a ladder could be run as another tourney?. You could be in charge of organising a ladder ;)

pax
06-04-2005, 11:29 PM
a ladder wouldnt be bad, but we are so close to starting a tourney, games will go up sunday night, that changing the format to a ladder system would create delays.

Perhaps a ladder could be run as another tourney?. You could be in charge of organising a ladder ;)

It just seems like a tournament is going to take a very very long time - probably up to a year even if you double up the games. Make sure everyone is committed for a long haul - nothing would spoil it more than a couple of withdrawals at the half way stage.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 11:52 PM
It just seems like a tournament is going to take a very very long time - probably up to a year even if you double up the games. Make sure everyone is committed for a long haul - nothing would spoil it more than a couple of withdrawals at the half way stage.
all the players are long term ppl on here and some of them even hold council positions. Others are also mods on here. Some even hold both type of positions.

It is unlikely that any of the six/seven players atm are going to be going anywhere any time soon :eek:

Duff McKagan
07-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Guys, you spend more time trying to start the competition than playing it. Have a look over at the "other place" and see how quickly an Us verses "Other Place" match got under way.

Garvinator
07-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Guys, you spend more time trying to start the competition than playing it. Have a look over at the "other place" and see how quickly an Us verses "Other Place" match got under way.
we are starting this monday. also this is a multi player tournament, not just one on one games.

pax
07-04-2005, 11:46 AM

I don't think it is a bad idea to spend a couple of weeks planning a tournament that could last a year or more!!

Trent Parker
08-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Huh?? What about all play all, all at the same time, one game with each colour?? Thats what i thought it was going to be...

1min_grandmaster
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
What about all play all, all at the same time, one game with each colour??
I thought maybe the tournament could be run like that, but knew that was not the intention. But now that you mention it, I would actually prefer it all-play-all at the same time, so that the tournament doesnt go on forever. Besides, it's not a serious tournament, so we dont really need to spend ages on the moves.

JGB
08-04-2005, 10:00 AM
I thought maybe the tournament could be run like that, but knew that was not the intention. But now that you mention it, I would actually prefer it all-play-all at the same time, so that the tournament doesnt go on forever. Besides, it's not a serious tournament, so we dont really need to spend ages on the moves.

Its fine by me, whatever system you choose. :)

Garvinator
08-04-2005, 10:12 AM
since when hasnt that been the intention?

My first post on some rules included:

2) Yes double round robin.

Kerry Stead
09-04-2005, 07:48 AM
what do you mean?
I mean including a post (preferably updated with the moves) with the interactive interface, so you can just get to the position without having to open up another program (or go 'old-school' and use actual pieces and a board) to see the position or play over the game.

skip to my lou
09-04-2005, 08:18 AM
If this forum reaches 5K posts then I will modify the forum to detect your moves and put them on the interactive board automatically.

Garvinator
09-04-2005, 08:50 AM
If this forum reaches 5K posts then I will modify the forum to detect your moves and put them on the interactive board automatically.
i have been meaning to ask. Would it be possible skip to create a new section for our tournament. Tomorrow night there will be 30 new games starting.

Garvinator
10-04-2005, 05:24 PM
And the thirty games are now up and running. I believe there are six players. Did I miss anyone who has indicated previously that they wanted to play?

1. Kerry Stead
2. 1 min grandmaster
3. jgb
4. tcn
5. ggrayggray
6. Kaitlin

Get started with your games asap :D Just be careful as Karthick might make a new section for these games(which I hope happens)

Spiny Norman
10-04-2005, 06:11 PM

STML, is there any chance that you could (relatively easily):

1) Have all these games moved to their own forum; and

2) Make it possible for me and others to "hide" that forum (i.e. so we don't have to see the hundreds and hundreds of posts that are now about to ensue?

I'm concerned that this level of posting will destroy the amenity of the board from my perspective. I enjoy seeing a handful of games taking place, but would like to have the option of not seeing large-scale "tournaments". I'm interested in the "chat".

Garvinator
10-04-2005, 06:19 PM

2) Make it possible for me and others to "hide" that forum (i.e. so we don't have to see the hundreds and hundreds of posts that are now about to ensue?

I'm concerned that this level of posting will destroy the amenity of the board from my perspective. I enjoy seeing a handful of games taking place, but would like to have the option of not seeing large-scale "tournaments". I'm interested in the "chat".
i do think that almost all of 'us' would like to see the tournament moved to a section of its own. I have spoken to jgb on msn and we will see what happens.

Spiny Norman
10-04-2005, 06:22 PM
i do think that almost all of 'us' would like to see the tournament moved to a section of its own. I have spoken to jgb on msn and we will see what happens.

Thanks GG, I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something that gives everyone what they want. ;) Good luck with the games. I can only handle one at a time, what with advancing age plus being overburdened with work @ the moment. That reminds me, I'd better go and 'bump' AC ... he's been quiet for a couple of days.

skip to my lou
10-04-2005, 07:52 PM

I'll move it to it's own forum now. Don't think users can block by themselves, but if they send me a request, I can block it using access masks.

skip to my lou
10-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Done. Frosty you shouldn't be able to see the forum, and hence posts from there should not appear on the new posts page.

If anyone else wants this done, pm me.

Spiny Norman
11-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Done. Frosty you shouldn't be able to see the forum, and hence posts from there should not appear on the new posts page.

Seems to be working a treat, thanks Skip!!!

bunta
11-04-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm in, i need practice and i need an approximate rating of myself

Garvinator
11-04-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm in, i need practice and i need an approximate rating of myself
ok bunta, if there are no objections to you being added to the tournament by the end of today ie 11:59pm by any of the players in the tournament, I will add your games.

Are you aware of the move rate and stuff like that, that has been listed previously in this thread?

pax
11-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Blimey- 10 simultaneous games? Was that always the intention??

How do you play 10 simultaneous games at a move a day and have time for anything else!

Garvinator
11-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Blimey- 10 simultaneous games? Was that always the intention??

How do you play 10 simultaneous games at a move a day and have time for anything else!
you dont :P only kidding,
i did offer originally one move every three days

1) the move rate would probably be one move every three days. Yes that is a bit quick by corro standards, but also those who are playing are normally regulars on here and so come on here more than once every three days seems for some reason that we got to talking about one move per day from here:

plus also if someone is having difficulty making one move per day, i am sure we can make allowances once in a while ;)

pax
11-04-2005, 10:21 PM
I'll watch with eager anticipation to see which one of you gets sacked/fails uni first ;)

JGB
11-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I'll watch with eager anticipation to see which one of you gets sacked/fails uni first ;)

:lol:

:clap:

Garvinator
12-04-2005, 04:39 PM
ok bunta, if there are no objections to you being added to the tournament by the end of today ie 11:59pm by any of the players in the tournament, I will add your games.

Are you aware of the move rate and stuff like that, that has been listed previously in this thread?
since there have been no objections from any of the players in the tournament, i will add bunta to the tournament.

Welcome bunta.