PDA

View Full Version : South West Open

rob
16-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Jay Lakner (2108!!) won the 32 player South West Open in Bunbury with 6/6. Jay played fine attacking chess to defeat both Stewart Byrne (2158!) and Adam Haasse (2068!) with black :clap: 14 year old Thomas Donaldson (1771!!) found the long trip from Albany worthwhile as he came 2nd on 5/6 drawing with both Stewart and Adam.

Organisers David Pike and Julian Painter did a great job ensuring a good weekend including a sausage sizzle, over $700 prize money and they both gave away plenty of rating points - top rated Julian Painter (2188_) struggled to get 3.5/6 against 1600 average.

As it is over 200km from Perth to Bunbury it was a good effort by 24 Perth players to support this event - it is likely that less Perth ppl will play in the Perth weekenders coming up.

Garvinator
16-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Hello Rob,

Can you get the arbiter for this tournament to send me the sp files please?

Cheers,

Garvin

pax
17-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Tremendous result for Jay :clap: :clap:

It's the first time I've noticed this Donaldson chap. I hope we'll be hearing a lot more of him in the next year or two.

rob
17-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Tremendous result for Jay :clap: :clap:

It's the first time I've noticed this Donaldson chap. I hope we'll be hearing a lot more of him in the next year or two.

Thomas made the long trip from Albany to play in six Perth weekenders last year and did well with many good results against highly rated players including 2 draws with Tim Hare (2104!!). The top scorers in the WA Grand Prix (based on 6 weekenders) were 1st Tristan Boyd and 2nd Thomas Donaldson - both outstanding as they usually wore bright red Man United shirts :D

Thomas's father, Gary, is now also playing in the weekenders and beat Bob Pilgrim (1525!!) in the last round to finish on 3.5/6 at the South West Open. Due to his isolation Thomas plays a lot of 1min chess on the net.