PDA

View Full Version : Fritz 6 automatic overwrite problem

Kevin Bonham
15-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Often if I am editing a game using Fritz 6 and I input a move in a position where moves are already recorded, it will automatically overwrite the remaining moves already there so that those moves are lost. It doesn't reliably give me the normal options of new main line/variation/overwrite etc.

Anyone know how to fix this? It is driving me up the wall when I save games and then later annotate them. I basically have to replace game after every edit, which is tedious.

Garvinator
15-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Often if I am editing a game using Fritz 6 and I input a move in a position where moves are already recorded, it will automatically overwrite the remaining moves already there so that those moves are lost. It doesn't reliably give me the normal options of new main line/variation/overwrite etc.

Anyone know how to fix this? It is driving me up the wall when I save games and then later annotate them. I basically have to replace game after every edit, which is tedious.
have you tried insert instead of overwrite, or am i on the wrong path?

Kevin Bonham
15-03-2005, 09:10 PM
have you tried insert instead of overwrite, or am i on the wrong path?

You're on the wrong path - that menu doesn't come up. That's my problem. If it did come up I would be choosing new variation - it's mainly looking at sidelines that's where the issue happens.

Spiny Norman
15-03-2005, 09:14 PM
I've only ever used CB Light with Fritz5 ... I also have to Replace every game every time I make an edit. Using Save saves a copy of the game and leaves the original untouched. But I have never seen CB Light fail to give me the context menu when entering a new possible move.

Is it happening at a certain "depth" (i.e. a variation within a variation within a line, or whatever) or just any old time?

Trent Parker
16-03-2005, 08:36 AM

Ahh i have the same problem. Sooooooooo frustrating. If my memory serves me correstly, If you click on the move before you want to make a variation then make a move i think the menu comes up. Other ways overwrite. :(

arosar
16-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I have a solution for youse boys. UPGRADE!

AR

eclectic
16-03-2005, 09:47 AM

AR

but what if they've got a " ... and a bottle of rum" version?

;)

eclectic

Garvinator
16-03-2005, 02:53 PM
You're on the wrong path - that menu doesn't come up. That's my problem. If it did come up I would be choosing new variation - it's mainly looking at sidelines that's where the issue happens.
yes i was on the wrong path, also i use fritz 8 anyways, so maybe the version style has changed since fritz 6 :hmm:

Bill Gletsos
16-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Sounds more like a Fritz 6 GUI problem. I'm sure they updated the GUI a number of times for fritz 6 as opposed to the engine. The updates should be on some of the old Chessbase magazine Cd's.

Trent Parker
16-03-2005, 03:16 PM
what if you don't have old chessbase magazines?

eclectic
16-03-2005, 03:25 PM
what if you don't have old chessbase magazines?

http://www.chessbaseusa.com/T-NOTES/etn.htm

links from

december 12 1999

to

april 2 2000

especially near the latter should offer some help

eclectic

Kevin Bonham
16-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Is it happening at a certain "depth" (i.e. a variation within a variation within a line, or whatever) or just any old time?

Any old time.

Ahh i have the same problem. Sooooooooo frustrating. If my memory serves me correstly, If you click on the move before you want to make a variation then make a move i think the menu comes up. Other ways overwrite.

I just tested this but found that sometimes I would click and it would overwrite, sometimes I would not click and it wouldn't. If there was a consistent pattern to it it would be easy to avoid the problem but I cannot see one. Seems to happen more often after I go past a move then come back to it.

Nowhere near rich enough for that at the moment.

Checked the chessbase bits mentioned by eclectic but they seemed more concerned with how to get the most out of the program's features than with dealing with annoying issues like this.

arosar
16-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Nowhere near rich enough for that at the moment.

Did you read eclectic's post about them bottles of rum?

AR

Kevin Bonham
16-03-2005, 10:40 PM
OK, I've got a theory here. It seems that if the position is reached by using an arrow key on the keyboard rather than scrolling with the mouse the problem does not occur. The arrow key only has to have been the last action to reach the position, there could have been scrolling earlier on. I'll keep testing this and report back if there are still problems.