04-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Here is the concept:

A common meeting place
Designated time
A one-off rated game
A one-off fee (say $5 per player)
Entries get paired randomly
Pick-and-choose the week you play.
You may be busy one week, or really eager for a game in another week but don't want to play in a club tournament or a weekender

Tell me what you think....

Wise

Spiny Norman
05-03-2005, 09:43 AM
I like your creative thinking Wise Man.

Is there any reason the "common meeting place" couldn't be your local club .... so you'd have a "play a rated game on demand" scenario whenever you felt like it?

Is there any reason a club couldn't organise a quarterly "rated games on demand" for a $10/quarter fee (or whatever) and call it a "tournament" or a "match"?

The only restriction would be that if you play in the quarterly tournament you can't play the same player twice in that quarter ... and that if you play a rated match you must play that opponent at least twice.

Do the ratings officers have any objections to that sort of scenario. I would have thought that as long as the club submits the results properly and pays the proper ratings fees then it should be an issue.

Rincewind
05-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Not a bad idea but has a couple of practical issues which I think are surmountable.

Is there sufficient demand for such games?

- with no prize money or comparable results between players perhaps the events will lack direction and interest.

Are players going to be sufficiently motivated to perform in such games?

- related to above, without a carrot some of the games may not be as good a quality.

Will there be greater opportunity for player to use such events to try and engineer favourable rating adjustments (positive and negative)?

- players might use such events to inflate ratings by increasing play against underperformers like those mentioned above. Or perhaps someone with a rating above a ratnig cutoff might use it as an opportunity to sandbag and put them into division contention in 'real' events.

But don't let me discourage you. Just some things to look out for and perhaps engineer the format against.

antichrist
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Here is the concept:

A common meeting place
Designated time
A one-off rated game
A one-off fee (say $5 per player)
Entries get paired randomly
Pick-and-choose the week you play.
You may be busy one week, or really eager for a game in another week but don't want to play in a club tournament or a weekender

Tell me what you think....

Wise

When running the club in Sydney around Xmas when everywhere else was on hold, I ran weekly lightning or 15 min comps with everyone putting between $2 and $10 I think. Champs like G. Xie wanted the higher fees as all fees went back in prize money. We had excellent players come as no other venues.