PDA

View Full Version : Membership Cards?

The_Wise_Man
28-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Do you think that Membership Cards would be a good idea?

skip to my lou
28-02-2005, 09:52 AM

Great idea.

JGB
28-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Membership Cards for what? Have I missed something?

Ian Rout
28-02-2005, 10:08 AM
If it was an impressive official-looking laminated job with photo, address, signature etc that you could wave when asked to produce identification I think many players would like it. (I've been told by so many people that I don't exist because I don't have a driver's licence that I sometimes feel tempted to make up an ID card for a fictitious body, so something from a real organisation would be even better).

On the other hand a tatty piece of cardboard, whose only use is to identify you to chess players who already know who you are, would be less useful.

rob
28-02-2005, 02:19 PM

CAWA does provide laminated membership cards with players name, membership number (ACF number), valid till date.

Spiny Norman
28-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Our club is going to provide plastic, credit-card-sized, printed membership cards with club logo, member name, membership year in big font, colour mug shot, etc. They're being sponsored by a local business who will put some advertising blurb on the back. When I get a finished design I'll post details here (might be a coupla weeks).

Don_Harrison
28-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Not another plastic card :crazy: Apart from my driver's licence, the one credit card and the one debit card, I have been issued so many plastic cards by: clubs, video stores, health fund, medicare, department stores (they value me), and the like that if I put them in my wallet at the same time, I'd tip off my chair and do myself an injury. Enough of the plastic cards!

Ian, I understand that State Government's now issue ID cards to persons like you who do not hold a driver's licence. Your situation is not uncommon.

antichrist
28-02-2005, 09:44 PM
This thrashing in this poll is worse that I ever copped. Slow hand clap, slow hand clap

Thunderspirit
12-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Surely the time and effort that would be required to make these cards could be better spent, say.... Teaching juniors good manners for example.. :owned:

eclectic
12-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Surely the time and effort that would be required to make these cards could be better spent, say.... Teaching juniors good manners for example.. :owned:

liberace,

(assuming you don't already have a fide rating) what did you have to do when you played at leipzig to show you were "underwritten" by the acf?

flash a membership card?
have a letter from bill gletsos or dennis jessop?
or ... ?

eclectic

Thunderspirit
13-03-2005, 02:17 AM
liberace,

(assuming you don't already have a fide rating) what did you have to do when you played at leipzig to show you were "underwritten" by the acf?

flash a membership card?
have a letter from bill gletsos or dennis jessop?
or ... ?

eclectic

That"s a little silly. On two counts. One is a play under the Maltese flag, (to be fair not something you would know) but secondly assuming I was an Ozzie (for chess) I could just show them my passport. If there were any rating issues, I would direct them to the ACF webpage, and if that failed would give them Bills email address and well as Denis.
There been many times that organisers have phoned/emailed rating officers in Oz checking about players, it doesn"t justify the card.

Otherwise cards would have to be updated every list, if rating were to be included, or if they weren't listed you would still have to direct them to Bill/ACF webpage.

If Australian Chess had a complusary membership scheme then it would be ok. Sadly this will probably never happen, and so the time that would be spent on creating them could be used elsewhere..