PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Grand Prix results

Garvinator
25-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Hello everyone,

Now dont everyone fall over in amazement, but attached are the provisional results from the open division of the 2004 grand prix.

Can someone from each state check that all tournaments that they believe should have been included in the grand prix are there? Much appreciated.

Reminder to all players that it is a players top five points scores that count towards the total points tally, as per the old website http://www.loganarts.com/gp2004/gp2004.htm

Cheers,

Garvin Gray
2004 Grand Prix Co-ordinator

Kevin Bonham
26-02-2005, 03:22 AM
The event which you list as "Tas Champs" is in fact the Tas Open. The Tas Champs should also be included.

auriga
26-02-2005, 12:03 PM
with the 'grand prix' link off the acf homepage...

has somebody got the username/password for http://www.loganarts.com/gp2004/gp2004.htm
and done a rm -rf yet (or got www.loganarts.com to do it)?!

all the info there is wrong.
(rogers is not even in the list there)

Bas
26-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Now dont everyone fall over in amazement, but attached are the provisional results from the open division of the 2004 grand prix.

GG.
It must have been a painfull and tortuous exercise to finally come up with some form of results: provisional, and the open division only....
However, some of the points distributed for the Ballarat Begonia seem wrong: the 5-6 prize winners should have received 3 GP point each, instead of 7.5. Another random-check: the lower placings at the Coffs H. tournament should have received 1.2 instead of 0.6 GP points, in my opinion.
Perhaps there are more errors....?

Garvinator
26-02-2005, 09:05 PM
GG.
It must have been a painfull and tortuous exercise to finally come up with some form of results: provisional, and the open division only....
However, some of the points distributed for the Ballarat Begonia seem wrong: the 5-6 prize winners should have received 3 GP point each, instead of 7.5. Another random-check: the lower placings at the Coffs H. tournament should have received 1.2 instead of 0.6 GP points, in my opinion.

Hello Bas,

You are correct about the ballarat results and I have corrected them on my files, but I need some help for coffs. I am unsure if coffs was cat 2 or cat 3. I thought it was cat 3, but checking the grand prix website, it says cat 2, but my gut feeling still tells me cat 3. Therefore, can someone assist me as to the category of the Coffs tournament please. :oops:

Kevin,

I will add the extra event as you have pointed out, can you send me the extra results. I am sorry for the lack of knowledge for some of the events that I have lost track of since I took over last year.

Garvinator
26-02-2005, 09:09 PM
with the 'grand prix' link off the acf homepage...

has somebody got the username/password for http://www.loganarts.com/gp2004/gp2004.htm
and done a rm -rf yet (or got www.loganarts.com to do it)?!

all the info there is wrong.
(rogers is not even in the list there)
yes the info is all wrong. It has been for a long time. I attempted to get the passwords etc from Bob Keast and his son, but after a while and alot of emails, I was unable to work out the information I was given and also Chris (Bobs son) didnt reply to my emails after a while, so I just continued collating results as I had been doing for a while.

My pc crashed the night before I left for mt buller and have not been able to get the information back. Therefore I had to start all over again and here is where I am atm.

By the way, the womens results are half way finished.

I think the order of completed results will be finished in the order of:

Open
Womens
Unrated
Under 2000
Under 1600
Juniors.

Bill Gletsos
26-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Hello Bas,

You are correct about the ballarat results and I have corrected them on my files, but I need some help for coffs. I am unsure if coffs was cat 2 or cat 3. I thought it was cat 3, but checking the grand prix website, it says cat 2, but my gut feeling still tells me cat 3. Therefore, can someone assist me as to the category of the Coffs tournament please. :oops:
It is fairly simple.
Just look up the avderts for the events in the ACF bulletins from last year on the ACF web site.
Use the advert closest to the tournament start date as it is likely to be the most accurate.

Coffs was Cat 3.

Garvinator
26-02-2005, 10:36 PM
It is fairly simple.
Just look up the avderts for the events in the ACF bulletins from last year on the ACF web site.
Use the advert closest to the tournament start date as it is likely to be the most accurate.

Coffs was Cat 3.
the last acf bulletin i had saved was december 30, so that wasnt an option. Thank you Bill.

I have now corrected the coffs results as well.

Bill Gletsos
26-02-2005, 10:42 PM
the last acf bulletin i had saved was december 30, so that wasnt an option. Thank you Bill.All of the ACF bulletins are on ACF web site under Aussie News. :doh:

Paul S
26-02-2005, 10:57 PM
All of the ACF bulletins are on ACF web site under Aussie News. :doh:

You beat me to it, Bill. I was about to say the same thing!

Paul S
26-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Garvin

Surely the best (and most accurate) way to find what tournaments should be in the 2004 GP would be to contact ACF Treasurer Norm Greenwood and get a list of which tournaments have paid their 2004 GP fees?

Garvinator
26-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Garvin

Surely the best (and most accurate) way to find what tournaments should be in the 2004 GP would be to contact ACF Treasurer Norm Greenwood and get a list of which tournaments have paid their 2004 GP fees?
not really as I believe I was told at the acf council meeting to include all events that I have been informed of and the acf treasurer will chase up fees later.

So there could be events on the calendar etc that Norm is not aware of yet :uhoh: unlikely as that is ;)

Paul S
26-02-2005, 11:43 PM
not really as I believe I was told at the acf council meeting to include all events that I have been informed of and the acf treasurer will chase up fees later.

That is surprising. I would have thought that the ACF would have made sure that all GP tournament fees are collected before handing out GP prizes and any tournaments that have not paid their fees by a certain date (say 31/12/04 or 31/1/05) would not have their tournament as part of the 2004 GP. BTW, this could affect who wins what prize (eg there is very little between Ian Rogers and George Xie for first and second in the Open division).

Garvinator
26-02-2005, 11:50 PM
That is surprising. I would have thought that the ACF would have made sure that all GP tournament fees are collected before handing out GP prizes and any tournaments that have not paid their fees by a certain date (say 31/12/04 or 31/1/05) would not have their tournament as part of the 2004 GP. BTW, this could affect who wins what prize (eg there is very little between Ian Rogers and George Xie for first and second in the Open division).
I think the thinking was that it isnt really fair to punish the players for the actions of the organisers.
From 2006 there will be some reforms to the gp and I would say that one of them is that if a tournament hasnt paid their fees, they wont be included for the following year.

auriga
27-02-2005, 02:57 PM
yes the info is all wrong. It has been for a long time. I attempted to get the passwords etc from Bob Keast and his son, but after a while and alot of emails, I was unable to work out the information I was given and also Chris (Bobs son) didnt reply to my emails after a while, so I just continued collating results as I had been doing for a while.

My pc crashed the night before I left for mt buller and have not been able to get the information back. Therefore I had to start all over again and here is where I am atm.

By the way, the womens results are half way finished.

I think the order of completed results will be finished in the order of:

Open
Womens
Unrated
Under 2000
Under 1600
Juniors.

fair enough. :hmm:
fingers crossed chris does zip the site up and delete sometime in future
so google don't keep referencing for future grand prixs.

Garvinator
27-02-2005, 03:08 PM
fair enough. :hmm:
fingers crossed chris does zip the site up and delete sometime in future
so google don't keep referencing for future grand prixs.
well soon that link will be removed when i send paul b the complete gp list for 2005 as I know it.

Bas
27-02-2005, 04:28 PM
GG.

Garvin,
I took the trouble checking further. And low and behold not only politicians seem to have difficulties calculating nowadays...

Mid NCoast: a total of 13 GP points is shown only. This does not appear to match with any GP category;
Uni Open: the lower placings received 3x 1 GP point instead of 3x2;
Launceston: similarly 6x 1.2 GP points instead of 6x 0.5;
Laurieton: 4x 6.4 GP points instead of 4x 5.4;
Gosford:3x 3.3 GP points instead of 3x3;

Will ask starter to calculate your success-rate....

Garvinator
27-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Thank you for your help Bas in double checking my calculations. Much appreciated. except for the bit about starter ;)

Mid NCoast: a total of 13 GP points is shown only. This does not appear to match with any GP category; mistake made, I had not added David Lovejoy's 12 pts or David Castor's 9 pts into the tournament column, but both their 12 and 9 pts appears in the total points column.

Uni Open: the lower placings received 3x 1 GP point instead of 3x2;
Launceston: similarly 6x 1.2 GP points instead of 6x 0.5; Correct on both of these and changed accordingly.

Laurieton: 4x 6.4 GP points instead of 4x 5.4; not completely correct I believe. I had added Oscar Hellmann who came outright fifth with the three players who came tied for 2nd. This means it should be three players on 6.4 and oscar on 3 points. If it was 4 players tied for second, the points from second to fifth would be added together and divided by 4, therefore 9,6,4,3 =22 divided by 4 equals 5.5.

Gosford:3x 3.3 GP points instead of 3x3; correct and changed

Garvinator
17-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Hello everyone,

I believe this to be the correct and final results for the open division of the 2004 gp points. Attached.

Bill Gletsos
17-03-2005, 10:37 AM
When can we expect to see the results for the other categories.

Garvinator
17-03-2005, 11:37 AM
When can we expect to see the results for the other categories.
for the unrated and womens categories, the next couple of days. For the under 2000, under 1600 and juniors, i am not sure. All I can say is i am trying my best and getting things done as quick as I can.

Garvinator
03-04-2005, 10:06 PM
2004 womens division results attached.

Trent Parker
04-04-2005, 09:02 AM
We have movement!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats Vaness!!

Paul S
05-04-2005, 12:02 AM
We have movement!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats Vaness!!

Yes, some movement (progress) is good, but I'm not sure that Garvin's spreadsheet is entirely correct. However, it is possible that I may be incorrect in some of my observations, as I am not as knowledgeable on chess matters outside Sydney as some other BB members.

I had a cursory glance at it and noticed that:
1) Players 27 and 28 are both on 15 points (from different tournaments) and are both named Regina Grenfell.
2) I have never met player (and northern NSW organiser) Endel Lane (#45 on Garvin's list), but I always thought he was male (not female).
3) Player 40 Kieran Lyons. I have always thought Keiran is a boys name.
4) One of the totals appears to be incorrect.

Garvinator
05-04-2005, 12:25 AM
This is what happens when i put up results without waiting till the next day to double check :eek:

I had a cursory glance at it and noticed that:
1) Players 27 and 28 are both on 15 points (from different tournaments) and are both named Regina Grenfell.I have corrected on my copy and am now going to take my advice and not post new results till tomorrow.

2) I have never met player (and northern NSW organiser) Endel Lane (#45 on Garvin's list), but I always thought he was male (not female).
You are quite correct and I have deleted.

3) Player 40 Kieran Lyons. I have always thought Keiran is a boys name. Keiran Lyons is most definetely female. She plays sometimes at the same chess club I do.

4) One of the totals appears to be incorrect.Can you help me out? Which one appears to be incorrect?

DoroPhil
05-04-2005, 12:32 AM
This is just ridiculous!

Why would Acf want to show off its lack of brains in this way??

I reckon it would've been better to kill off GP altogether than put somebody of ggrayggrayggray's intelligence in charge of it... Maybe, put Gletsos in charge of it - at least he knows his numbers...

Garvinator
05-04-2005, 12:36 AM
This is just ridiculous!

Why would Acf want to show off it's lack of brains in this way??

I reckon it would've been better to kill off GP altogether than put somebody of ggrayggrayggray's intelligence in charge of it...
cool, now i know who i can put forward as my successor when i am done being gp co-ordinator, but i dont think the acf council would be too keen on giving it to a person who wont even let others know who he is on a bb :doh:

DoroPhil
05-04-2005, 12:44 AM
cool, now i know who i can put forward as my successor when i am done being gp co-ordinator, but i dont think the acf council would be too keen on giving it to a person who wont even let others know who he is on a bb :doh:

How's this relevant to what I said in any way, shape or form???

Garvinator
05-04-2005, 12:49 AM
How's this relevant to what I said in any way, shape or form???
just proving that once again you are a goose who hides behind a bb anonymity just to criticise, but doesnt actually do anything to improve things by getting off your ass and getting involved. Maybe you consider that the best way for you to contribute is to sit on the sidelines and not contribute at all. :eek:

You should be warned, i dont have to worry any more about being nice, so if you want to troll, i am ready for you for the next hour or so :uhoh:

Candy-Cane
05-04-2005, 11:33 AM
When is this informatrion going to be finilised? Is there mistakes with mine?

Garvinator
05-04-2005, 11:40 AM
When is this informatrion going to be finilised? Is there mistakes with mine?
it is very close to be finalised for the womens division. The couple of errors dont affect your results. As I said I will put up what I believe to be the final results later today. I am still waiting for Paul S to tell me where he thinks there is an addition error?

Paul S
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Content of post 32 deleted.

In light of posts 36 and 37, I have a bit of egg on my face (and owe ggrayggray an apology for some of the content in these posts - sorry Garvin)! :doh: :oops:

Paul S
06-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Content of post 33 deleted.

In light of posts 36 and 37, I have a bit of egg on my face (and owe ggrayggray an apology for some of the content in these posts - sorry Garvin)! :doh: :oops:

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2005, 12:16 AM
There is more wrong with it than just that,

Vaness and Angela did not play in the 2004 NSW Open or its U1600 Division. :doh:
As such they should both get 0 points.

Vaness and Angela both played in the NSW Womens Championship held at the same time and venue as the NSW Open. It however was not a GP event and as such has no GP points to be allocated. :doh:

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2005, 12:22 AM
More 2004 GP problems.............. :rolleyes:

This seems to be turning into a farce. :rolleyes:

In light of the above findings with the top two women, I thought I should check out the points of the top two Open players.

Lo and behold, George Xie should be the winner and not Ian Rogers! I work out that George got 120.35 points (not 88.5) and Ian got 95.9 points (not 90.5).

According to the latest Open spreadsheet (refer to post number 19 in this thread)......

George Xie = 20 (ADW) + 1.7 (Newcastle) + 16 (Rose Bay) + 9 (NSW Open) + 12 (Fairfield) + 17.5 (ANU Open) + 3.75 (Rose Bay) + 20 (Ryde) + 15 (Coffs) + 5.4 (Seberry) which I work out is 120.35 points.

Ian Rogers = 10.5 (Doeberl) + 20 (NSW Open) + 20 (GC Open) + 20 (Caloundra) + 20 (Uni Open) + 5.4 (ANU Open) is 95.9 points.

As I said in my thread of a few minutes ago..............After the first two rows I couldn't be bothered checking any more (it was a nuisance having to try and scroll back and forward reading those lengthy XL spreadsheet rows), but no doubt the rest of that spreadsheet is riddled with other similar errors for ther people as well (and for all I know a lot of the players points for each of the individual tournaments may be incorrect!). Besides, its not my job to do this - its the ACF's job to make sure they get things right, not me!

Like I said elsewhere on this BB, its time to get rid of the GP! It just seems to be getting more and more of an embarrassment to Australian chess! Time to put it out of its misery.......NOW!

Paul you have made an error.
Only a players best 5 results count, not every result.

If I recall correctly points are awarded as follows:
Class 1: 1st 12, 2nd 9, 3rd 6, 4th 4, 5th 3.
Class 2: 1st 16, 2nd 12, 3rd 9, 4th 6, 5th 4.
Class 3: 1st 20, 2nd 15, 3rd 12, 4th 9, 5th 6.
Each player's best 5 scores, by category, are accumulated to determine the
prize winners.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 12:24 AM
There is more wrong with it than just that,

Vaness and Angela did not play in the 2004 NSW Open or its U1600 Division. :doh:
As such they should both get 0 points.

Vaness and Angela both played in the NSW Womens Championship held at the same time and venue as the NSW Open. It however was not a GP event and as such has no GP points to be allocated. :doh:
Bill, ok my apologies, i wasnt aware of that. I will correct those results then which included the other players.

Paul, the relevant regulation is:

Player’s score
14. A player’s score is the total number of points scored by the player in that player’s 5 best scoring tournaments

Paul S
06-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Paul you have made an error.
Only a players best 5 results count, not every result.

I was unaware of this! :doh: Looks like the totals are correct after all!

Looks like I have some egg on my face too!!! :lol: :oops:

I owe GG an apology for some of the content in my posts (numbers 32 and 33 in this thread)! :oops:

Oh well, I ocasionally "put my foot in it" from time to time on this BB!

I will have to do some editing of posts 32 and 33 by the look of it! :doh:

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 12:33 AM
I was unaware of this! :doh: Looks like the totals are correct after all!
not quite, I re checked my addition and I think Vaness and Angela actually have both scored 78.5 points, but now i find out that the nsw womens doesnt count :doh:

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2005, 12:37 AM
not quite, I re checked my addition and I think Vaness and Angela actually have both scored 78.5 points, but now i find out that the nsw womens doesnt count :doh:There was no reason that it ever should have.
The NSW Womens Championship was never advertised as a GP event.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 01:09 AM
There was no reason that it ever should have.
The NSW Womens Championship was never advertised as a GP event.
it was just a general comment, not meant to be specific.

Candy-Cane
06-04-2005, 08:11 AM
On the score sheet it says I got 1.5 and Angela got 15 in the NSW open which we both did not play. It is also listed points for Nancy Lane, Sarai and Tazmin Oliver who also played in the womens but its listed they also played NSW open.

What is this ADV thing?

Vaness Reid.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 11:25 AM
On the score sheet it says I got 1.5 and Angela got 15 in the NSW open which we both did not play. It is also listed points for Nancy Lane, Sarai and Tazmin Oliver who also played in the womens but its listed they also played NSW open.

I believed that the nsw womens championship was a gp event. It wasnt and i have deleted on my copy.

What is this ADV thing?ADW- Australia Day Weekender.

Rincewind
06-04-2005, 07:47 PM
ok i think i am getting closer to finalising the womens results :eek:

Is there a sorting problem? Slavica and Nancy seem to be out of order.

Garvinator
06-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Correctly sorted I hope ;)

Garvinator
28-04-2005, 02:48 AM
2004 u2000 division

Garvinator
09-05-2005, 11:03 PM
another division done.

eclectic
09-05-2005, 11:09 PM
so will a moderator be able to close this thread by the time 2006 arrives?

:owned:

eclectic

Garvinator
19-05-2005, 03:50 AM
almost there ;)

Candy-Cane
11-06-2005, 11:16 AM
When is my money coming!?

VANESS REID

Candy-Cane
11-06-2005, 05:18 PM
The results have been posted for a few months now why have they not been finalised yet? When will the cheques be sent out?

Its quite ludicrous that it is now just past half way through the next year and the 2004 grand prix prizes have not been sent out yet! :mad:

Why is taking this so long? :evil:

GET cracking! :clap:

Regards,

Vaness Reid

eclectic
11-06-2005, 05:21 PM
The results have been posted for a few months now why have they not been finalised yet? When will the cheques be sent out?

Its quite ludicrous that it is now just past half way through the next year and the 2004 grand prix prizes have not been sent out yet! :mad:

Why is taking this so long? :evil:

GET cracking! :clap:

Regards,

Vaness Reid

don't forget to ask for the lost interest!!!

:P

eclectic

WhiteElephant
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I am still waiting on 3 trophies and $50 from CV from 17 years ago.

Lucena
15-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I am still waiting on 3 trophies and $50 from CV from 17 years ago. :eek:

Rincewind
15-06-2005, 07:09 PM
don't forget to ask for the lost interest!!!

I think the ACF already has plenty of that when it comes to the Grand Prix ;)

Duff McKagan
16-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to say that if it is clear that a division's results have been finalised, please send out the prizes to the winners soon, they have been waiting a year!

Regards,

Duff

Garvinator
16-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to say that if it is clear that a division's results have been finalised, please send out the prizes to the winners soon, they have been waiting a year!

Regards,

Duff
I have sent all six divisions final scores to Norm. Just waiting back to confirm that everything is fine and ok with the prizes and then money should be sent out soon.