View Full Version : Round 4 board 1 suggestion

Duff McKagan
02-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Surely Gary could have won this game...
how about 47.Qc3!?

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Doesnt that just lose a piece.

47. Qc3?? Qc3 48. Nc3 Nc3 and Black is better.

Gary should probably just play something like 47. Re3 or even just a3.

Mind you the scoresheet is wrong in a few places.

33..Qb7 should be Bb7 and 52. looks like it must be Kg3 not Bg3.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Yes, 47.Re3 would have kept Lane in a winning position. Instead 47.Rc2? allowing Tao's ...f4 threw it away. Tao has now swindled one and a half points in the last two games. A man after my own style, only better. :D

adelaideuni
02-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience today. I apologise for the 50 min delay but the internet disconnected in the Championships room itself and we were trying to get back on for a while without success. I then had to go to a room 500 m away from the venue to keep you guys updated. This is the reason for the extra delay.

The reason for the errors in the moves was that i was not able to see the games played due to this running back and forth.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you and hopefully the live game should work tomorrow.

Tomorrow I probably won't do that again because it was a bit too exhausting. However, if for some reason the live game doesn't work, I will definitely.

The results will always be posted up as they come in. Other games might be depending on whether the internet works in the Championships room itself.

Thanks for your consideration.

Alex Saint
Championship Organiser

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Yes, 47.Re3 would have kept Lane in a winning position. Instead 47.Rc2? allowing Tao's ...f4 threw it away. Tao has now swindled one and a half points in the last two games. A man after my own style, only better. :D
Well tomorrow he is Black against Rogers.
He will have to find a way to beat Ian directly as I dont expect him to be able to swindle him.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Lane swindled Rogers in Rd 3. But Ian should be fired up and wide awake from that loss and I won't be expecting a repeat performance of that. Speaking of waking up Johansen finally got a win today and isn't too far behind the action now.

Levi equal first but Smerdon only 1/4. Who would have expected it - exams again? Both the young IMs went down to seasoned FMs today. Reilly just blew Smerdon away with that passed pawn today. Zhao's loss to Levi was strange, it's tricky but I wonder if the way he gave up rook for piece and two pawns was just not quite sound to begin with given that backwards b-pawn on white he ended up with and the inability to prevent Black opening the board?

Szuveges was a little lucky to get off the mark today but a decent fight all the same - Chee Yin Thaw missed 44.a5! forcing what I reckon is a very winnable Q+2P vs Q+P ending.

Xie's not doing well at all, which is surprising. Walked into a real cheapie against Rej today, actually Rej missed the easiest crush but it didn't matter.

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Well Roger's made short work of Tao.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Or Tao made short work of himself. I don't know what Black thought he was doing in that game from about move 11 onwards - once he launches the k-side he's not going to castle there, but he didn't end up with a real attack on the k-side and Rogers just ripped the 0-0-0ed Q-side to bits.

Levi-Lane was exciting but are the moves that came up really correct or were pieces moved after the game finished - did Lane really play 33...Qe2?? (which probably loses whereas 33...Qe1+ wins Q for R then mates) and Levi respond with 34.Qg3?? walking into a mate in 1. At stages earlier I thought Levi would be able to get a won ending, but I was watching it without computer and missed a few tactics.

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2004, 05:25 PM
I thought it might be worthwhile to discuss those games in seperate threads.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Agreed.