PDA

View Full Version : Combine the Fen and Pgn tags?

Rincewind
02-01-2004, 05:26 PM
I suggested to Jeo that combination of the Fen and Pgn tags would be a good idea. That way you could describe a chess position with the Fen tag and then provide some moves from that point onwards with the Pgn tag. This would seem to me to be a very useful functionality.

What do you others think?

Gandalf
03-01-2004, 03:27 AM
It seems like a good idea, though the major reason they are seperate is that they are different systems of encoding.

I think it may be a bit too much work now for Jeo to merge the tags into a new catch-all, especially considering he would need to write scripts that allow the board to recognise and process encoding. If I'm wrong please tell me, by the way. :)

Rincewind
03-01-2004, 07:59 AM
It seems like a good idea, though the major reason they are seperate is that they are different systems of encoding.

I think it may be a bit too much work now for Jeo to merge the tags into a new catch-all, especially considering he would need to write scripts that allow the board to recognise and process encoding. If I'm wrong please tell me, by the way. :)

They are different systems of encoding because they are encoding different things. It is possible to encode board positions in PGN it is not always convenient. Fen cannot be used to encode variations.

Something like

<fenpgn="fen string">"move string"</fenpgn>

would seem to me to be the way to encode it.

Existing fen would be replaced with

<fenpgn="fen string"></fenpgn>

Existing Pgn by

<fenpgn>"pgn string"</fenpgn>

Jeo seemed to think it was doable but wanted to guage the popularity of the idea before spending time on it.

My original suggestion was made when Jeo said he was thinking of re-writing the existing Fen and Pgn functionality so I made the suggestion as a possible improvement to be included in that re-write.

skip to my lou
03-01-2004, 11:24 AM
What Barry is suggesting is a start position for the PGN, instead of always starting from start position.

If I do it, it would probably be like this:

[ pgn="$fenstring"]$pgnstring[/pgn ]

if fenstring is defined, it will start from that position, if not, it will load default position.

skip to my lou
09-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Not enough feedback or requests to do it now.