PDA

View Full Version : New regulations for Arbiter titles

Oepty
23-02-2005, 05:02 PM
FIDE have published a document on their website containing new regulations for obtaining the titles of FIDE Arbiter (FA) and International Aribter (IA). The biggest seems to be you have to be a FA before becoming an IA.

FIDE are also asking all federations to send complete lists of FA or IA to them

Scott

Thunderspirit
08-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I've been meaning to reply to this post for ages but haven't as it took me ages to find out the regulations regarding the title and what do you have to do to get an FA norm. This has obvious interest to me as I now need to be an FA before becoming an IA.

To get an IA norm you have to assist or chief arbiter an International event. In Australia this would include the Australian Champs/Open (but not the jnrs), Australian Masters, Zonal, or some other FIDE rated events that have 4 Federations and run by an IA. (The last may not quite be right, Jason's input would be useful here.)

To get an FA norm the events still need to be FIDE rated and run by an IA, but do not need to be international events. I have no idea how many events I have of these, it's easily more than 20.

So I'm chasing norm reports, which means bugging Charles mainly, but whenever it happens I'll be an FA... It interesting to me whether Shuan Press also has to get the FA title before his IA. (From what I understand his IA title is in the pipeline...) It would be a big joke if he did.

I don't think the title is such a bad idea. I've been arbitering now for almost 10 years, with my first event running the Lakp cup teams events at ANU in 1995. I consider myself to be an Ok arbiter at best an nowhere near the quality of people like Gary Bekker, Cathy Rogers, Jason Lyons, Dr Z, Rolly Eime and Shuan Press to name a few. (Though arrogantly a few years ago I did...) It serves as a stepping stone to becoming a better DOP myself...

I hope more people take an interest in DOPing. You appricate the events more when you understand what goes into them... On this board the question of GM events have been raised lately. Valid point, but if you knew what goes into them you'd understand why Australia has so few...

Get out there and so some Arbitering!

Alan Shore
08-04-2005, 11:30 PM
I've been meaning to reply to this post for ages but haven't as it took me ages to find out the regulations regarding the title and what do you have to do to get an FA norm. This has obvious interest to me as I now need to be an FA before becoming an IA.

To get an IA norm you have to assist or chief arbiter an International event. In Australia this would include the Australian Champs/Open (but not the jnrs), Australian Masters, Zonal, or some other FIDE rated events that have 4 Federations and run by an IA. (The last may not quite be right, Jason's input would be useful here.)

To get an FA norm the events still need to be FIDE rated and run by an IA, but do not need to be international events. I have no idea how many events I have of these, it's easily more than 20.

So I'm chasing norm reports, which means bugging Charles mainly, but whenever it happens I'll be an FA... It interesting to me whether Shuan Press also has to get the FA title before his IA. (From what I understand his IA title is in the pipeline...) It would be a big joke if he did.

I don't think the title is such a bad idea. I've been arbitering now for almost 10 years, with my first event running the Lakp cup teams events at ANU in 1995. I consider myself to be an Ok arbiter at best an nowhere near the quality of people like Gary Bekker, Cathy Rogers, Jason Lyons, Dr Z, Rolly Eime and Shuan Press to name a few. (Though arrogantly a few years ago I did...) It serves as a stepping stone to becoming a better DOP myself...

I hope more people take an interest in DOPing. You appricate the events more when you understand what goes into them... On this board the question of GM events have been raised lately. Valid point, but if you knew what goes into them you'd understand why Australia has so few...

Have arbited a couple of events.. would like to do more but intensive study plus other commitments means it's tough.. still, would like to be involved.

Oepty
11-04-2005, 05:51 PM

One question I had when I read the new regulations was whether you could use the same tournaments for both your FA and IA applications. It did not seem to say either way. If you can the change really only means extra paper work for people wanting to become IA, and extra money for FIDE because people have to apply twice. If this is the case then it is a bit of a joke and just seems like money raising by FIDE.
Scott

jase
11-04-2005, 06:57 PM
One question I had when I read the new regulations was whether you could use the same tournaments for both your FA and IA applications.

You will be able to double up on the appropriate tournaments, just as you are able to use a GM norm to assist an IM application. The difference here seems to be that you have to become an FA before you can graduate to IA.

I can understand the logic, but I can also imagine the bean-counters at FIDE rubbing their hands with glee.

Oepty
13-04-2005, 06:11 PM
You will be able to double up on the appropriate tournaments, just as you are able to use a GM norm to assist an IM application. The difference here seems to be that you have to become an FA before you can graduate to IA.

I can understand the logic, but I can also imagine the bean-counters at FIDE rubbing their hands with glee.

So it is a grab for money. As for there being some other logic behind I am not I can see any. I think you need 4 tournaments from memory to meet the requirements of becoming an IA. Well if can use the same 4 tournaments to get both titles then it seems there is no extra requirement for arbiting experience. A person could become an FA, apply straight away it seems to become an IA using the same tournaments and become an IA. No more requirement is needed but extra money.
I am sort of affected by this change in theory seeing I was an assistant arbiter at the last Australian Champs. I don't what kind of norm I might have got from doing that and it is largely irrelevant because I doubt I will ever arbit a tournament of that status again. It though makes it even harder for people like SA's Bill Anderson-Smith who I believe has far more than the required norms but not in the required period because of lack of opportunity. It seems a bit backwards to be dropping the time requirement on player norms but to make it harder to become an IA. Money can be the only motive in my opinion, not the betterment of the game.
Scott

Thunderspirit
13-04-2005, 10:27 PM
So it is a grab for money. As for there being some other logic behind I am not I can see any. I think you need 4 tournaments from memory to meet the requirements of becoming an IA. Well if can use the same 4 tournaments to get both titles then it seems there is no extra requirement for arbiting experience. A person could become an FA, apply straight away it seems to become an IA using the same tournaments and become an IA. No more requirement is needed but extra money.
I am sort of affected by this change in theory seeing I was an assistant arbiter at the last Australian Champs. I don't what kind of norm I might have got from doing that and it is largely irrelevant because I doubt I will ever arbit a tournament of that status again. It though makes it even harder for people like SA's Bill Anderson-Smith who I believe has far more than the required norms but not in the required period because of lack of opportunity. It seems a bit backwards to be dropping the time requirement on player norms but to make it harder to become an IA. Money can be the only motive in my opinion, not the betterment of the game.
Scott

Of course money is the only motivation, but more importantly is this. People should not become IA's unless they plan to run international events. That's the whole point with the IA title. I can't see Bill doing much of that, so does he really need it??

A wise man once said, "Australia does not need any more IA's, just good arbiters." And if Bill is keen enough he'll find events...

Oepty
14-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Bill Anderson-Smith is probably not searching for the title, and probably does not really need it although it will be handy in a few years to have another IA available in Adelaide. Roly Eime might not always be available. I doubt that the lack of an IA would ever be a problem, but it would be a real pity if it was.
There is also a certain amount of kudos to the title.
Scott