PDA

View Full Version : Linares 2005

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Linares starts tonight.
The seven players in it are Garry Kasparov, Viswanathan Anand, Veselin Topalov, Peter Leko, Michael Adams, Francisco Vallejo Pons and Rustam Kasimdzhanov.

Round 1 is:
Topalov-Adams
Leko-Kasparov
Kasimdzhanov-Vallejo
Free Day: Anand

auriga
23-02-2005, 03:58 PM
anyone know what round kasparov will play kasimdzhanov?
tipped as big showdown in NIC magazine since the turkey match is now off.

rob
23-02-2005, 06:40 PM
The official site is at:
http://www.ajedrezenlinares.com/XXII_ciudad_linares.htm

pax
24-02-2005, 08:51 AM
What a great tournament once again. Add Kramnik in place of Vallejo and it would be perfect.

I reckon Topalov is hungry, and might just win it. He beat Adams in round 1.

pax
24-02-2005, 08:53 AM
anyone know what round kasparov will play kasimdzhanov?
tipped as big showdown in NIC magazine since the turkey match is now off.

Round 2 (today) and 9.

auriga
24-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Round 2 (today) and 9.

cool. i see they've put the full draw up now.

shame about adams losing to topalov. :(

Rhubarb
25-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Who's up for Kasparov-Kasimdzhanov? Starting in 5 minutes I believe.

Apparently Kasparov only has two days to decide on FIDE's latest last match offer, or the Prague Agreement will finally fall through (again). I'm sure he'd like to deal a blow to Rustam before he decides though.

Oops sorry, not starting till 2am 1:30am... so much contradictory information.

auriga
25-02-2005, 05:42 AM
unfortunately, i'm not a chess21 vip member (just an ordinary member)
so can't see live :(

or is there another way to view?!

Rincewind
25-02-2005, 06:49 AM
or is there another way to view?!

http://www.marca.com/linares

Click on the link Sigue las partidas on line

auriga
25-02-2005, 08:03 AM
http://www.marca.com/linares

Click on the link Sigue las partidas on line

thanks.
can see the link now on right hand side under the ad 'GOOOOOL' :confused:
didn't know you were fluent in spanish barry :D

was interesting game. looked like kasparov had better on it.
surely was a win in there somewhere!?

skip to my lou
25-02-2005, 08:31 AM
I think Yasser & Radjabov were on playchess.com commenting on Anands came.

Rhubarb
25-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Is anyone still listening to that idiot Yasser Seirawan?

Rincewind
25-02-2005, 09:53 AM
didn't know you were fluent in spanish barry :D

I'm not, but it is sufficiently close to Italian to facilitate basic navigation. Eg, the Italian for that phrase would be Segua le partite on line

auriga
25-02-2005, 10:55 AM
I think Yasser & Radjabov were on playchess.com commenting on Anands came.

bettson market now likes anand to win.
he's now shorter than kasparov to win.

Rincewind
25-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Is anyone still listening to that idiot Yasser Seirawan?

I can think of around 350 million people. ;)

pax
25-02-2005, 01:51 PM
bettson market now likes anand to win.
he's now shorter than kasparov to win.

Kasparov often wins the big tournaments like this by annihilating the weaker players (and his favourite bunny Shirov). In Linares, the weaker players are Kasim and Vallejo. He has already missed an opportunity against Kasim with white, so already will need some wins over the tougher players.

Meanwhile Anand has knocked over a form player in Topalov, and looks like wanting to continue his form from the 2nd half of Wijk.

Rhubarb
26-02-2005, 12:42 AM
I can think of around 350 million people. ;)
Yes, that was little harsh of me. It's just that he reminds me of Keene in that he outputs a lot without going to any thought or intellectual effort.

Trent Parker
26-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Have games started?

Rhubarb
26-02-2005, 01:13 AM
^ Yes, they start at 1:30 (I'm sure this is right now :eek: ). I'm following on the Playchess server as I didn't get far when I tried the official site a couple of days ago - is the live coverage any good?. Vallejo Pons-Kasparov is a very unusual QGA which looks quite good for Fathead. Leko-Anand is an old mainline Petroff's. For some reason they're not relaying the third game yet. Kasimdzanov-Adams is a typical Marshall Attack. I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that Black either has enough for the pawn or doesn't.

Rincewind
26-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Yes, that was little harsh of me. It's just that he reminds me of Keene in that he outputs a lot without going to any thought or intellectual effort.

Thinking does get harder the older you get. However I wouldn't rank Yasser in the same league as Keene. I think Keene should be blamed more than he generally is for his part in destoying the World Championship. Yasser on the other hand was probably lauded more than he should have been for trying to stitch it back together. :confused:

My point about the 350,000,000 was he is well respected in the US and having him involved as an commentor for a tournament usually guarantees a good following there, So it makes sense from a marketing perspective even if his analysis isn't as sharp as it used to be.

Personally I like the generalistic comments of the older GMs. They usually have a good feel for the game and it is more relaxing (as I'm not getting any younger either). If they miss a tactic, I probably wasn't going to see it anyway. ;)

skip to my lou
26-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Last round will be interesting, maybe, Kasparov - Anand.

Rhubarb
27-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Thinking does get harder the older you get.And avarice grows stronger.

However I wouldn't rank Yasser in the same league as Keene.Yes it's true, it would be unfair to classify anyone as rank as Keene.

I think Keene should be blamed more than he generally is for his part in destoying the World Championship.Yes.

Yasser on the other hand was probably lauded more than he should have been for trying to stitch it back together. :confused: Yes.

My point about the 350,000,000 was he is well respected in the US and having him involved as an commentor for a tournament usually guarantees a good following there, So it makes sense from a marketing perspective even if his analysis isn't as sharp as it used to be.

Starter claims Melbourne's population is 5,000,000 (and then admits he's very wrong); Baz claims 350,000,000 for the US? I don't bloody think so. Do you two just make up metrics to test me? If the Americans are not interested in European chess - the real game - and would rather listen to a dumbass dimwit who still actually thinks his fellow fruitcake Bobby is still World Champion, then, and only then, should one take seriously the collected idiotic works of this first-class fugglit Yasser Seirawan.

Personally I like the generalistic comments of the older GMs. They usually have a good feel for the game and it is more relaxing (as I'm not getting any younger either). If they miss a tactic, I probably wasn't going to see it anyway. ;)I'm all for the generalistic comments of the older GMs. But I'm against the idiotic comments of that idiot Yasser Seirawan. Like his predecessor, that other idiot Raymond Keene, any thing they do or say should be treated with maximum contempt.

Rincewind
27-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Starter claims Melbourne's population is 5,000,000 (and then admits he's very wrong); Baz claims 350,000,000 for the US? I don't bloody think so. Do you two just make up metrics to test me? If the Americans are not interested in European chess - the real game - and would rather listen to a dumbass dimwit who still actually thinks his fellow fruitcake Bobby is still World Champion, then, and only then, should one take seriously the collected idiotic works of this first-class fugglit Yasser Seirawan.

OK So my memory is not good. 293,000,000. As it was not important to quote exact numbers I didn't check even though I could easily do it online. In defence of the undefensible, if you add Canada's 32.5 mill you're getting into the ball park. ;)

Anyway, just how idiotic are these comments you're talking about? Care to share some examples?

Spiny Norman
27-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Don't forget the roughly 9,000,000 illegal immigrants residing in the USA.

http://www.cis.org/topics/illegalimmigration.html

ursogr8
27-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Starter claims Melbourne's population is 5,000,000 (and then admits he's very wrong); Baz claims 350,000,000 for the US? I don't bloody think so. Do you two just make up metrics to test me?

kegless

No. Of course not. I can asure you the errors are pointless; not constructed to test you. ;)

starter

Rhubarb
28-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Baz and starter,

It appears the evil doppelgänger hijacked my account again. Time I banned him, I guess.

Starter, good luck in the B Grade final next week. Was it the S/F you won yesterday?

Rhubarb
28-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Fathead's in fine form. 3/4 and much the better of his two draws. PLus he'll no doubt wind up and have a go at Vishy with White tonight.

JGB
28-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Anyone hanging around for tonights game Kasparov-Anand? :hmm:
I shouldn't really miss it ...

antichrist
01-03-2005, 12:08 AM
What time is it beginning?

JGB
01-03-2005, 12:16 AM
What time is it beginning?

about an hour, I think.

Garvinator
01-03-2005, 12:35 AM
about an hour, I think.
9. Nd5 sveshnikov in the kaspa-anand game.

JGB
01-03-2005, 12:41 AM
they are just playing blitz at the moment, probably heading towards safewaters... :hmm:

JGB
01-03-2005, 12:48 AM
if anyone wants it....

[Event "XXII TORNEO INTERNACIONAL"]
[Site "Linares"]
[Date "2005.02.28"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Kasparov, Garry"]
[Black "Anand, Viswanathan"]

{Official relay site giving Anand white pieces. Official schedule gives GK
white.} 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Bg5
a6 8. Na3 b5 9. Nd5 Be7 10. Bxf6 Bxf6 11. c3 O-O 12. Nc2 Bg5 13. a4 bxa4 14.
Rxa4 a5 15. Bc4 Rb8 16. Ra2 Kh8 17. Nce3 *

JGB
01-03-2005, 12:49 AM
JB welcomes Gray to the world of visibility! :eek:

Garvinator
01-03-2005, 12:51 AM
JB welcomes Gray to the world of visibility! :eek:
and i hate it, i want to be invisible and have said so to Karthick too. :evil:

JGB
01-03-2005, 12:53 AM

... always wanting to play the 'grey' man ... haha :lol: I crack myself up! (thats an old military term in case you think ive completely lost it.)

Garvinator
01-03-2005, 12:58 AM
... always wanting to play the 'grey' man ... haha :lol: I crack myself up! (thats an old military term in case you think ive completely lost it.)
im glad you found it funny :P anyways there is a strong chance that kaspa could actually be black in this game, not anand.

arosar
01-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Yes, there are some idiots on playchess who can't decide who's playing what colour.

AR

arosar
01-03-2005, 01:04 AM
FMD! ICC has got the players in reversed colours.

AR

JGB
01-03-2005, 01:05 AM
my wirelss mouse just died, Again! Should have listened to everyone, ... "yeah they are great... if you like replacing batteries", thats my 3rd pair in 3 weeks. Im serious! :mad: I cant be bothered working this stupid laptop pointer, im off to bed. Anyway I cant figure out who"s white and who"s black here. Sorry about leaving the board unfinished... :( . Night all.

Rhubarb
01-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Yes, there are some idiots on playchess who can't decide who's playing what colour.
ARTWIC had listed Kasparov as White when I posted #27 a couple of hours ago (although they've changed it now) so that's my excuse. Probably a case of the error being repeated around the world but who's to say who got it wrong first.

JGB
01-03-2005, 01:07 AM
even the GM's on playchess haven't got a clue... "if White wins does that mean Kapsarov wins?" ... yeah awesome state of telecasting!

arosar
01-03-2005, 01:10 AM
How about this question on ICC: "Is this off theory?" So exactly when does theory end?

AR

arosar
01-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Chess FM definitely has Anand with White.

AR

Ian Rout
01-03-2005, 08:25 AM
This may be due to the Chessbase site which on its listing of the full draws gives GK as White in round 6 (though it has it the other way in the PGN of the game , which was drawn). GK is certainly Black (he has White in rounds 5 and 7).

Whether Chessbase copied from someone else we may never know, but it has perpetrated a few proof reading clangers of late so it's probably all their own work.

Trent Parker
01-03-2005, 11:14 AM
OH well Both players get half a point......;)

Garvinator
01-03-2005, 12:06 PM
OH well Both players get half a point......;)
I thought a comment from Nigel Short on playchess was amusing, they were debating who was white, but after 24. b4 was played, Nigel commented- I dont give a $*%@ who is white, white is better :owned:

pax
01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
TWIC had listed Kasparov as White when I posted #27 a couple of hours ago (although they've changed it now) so that's my excuse. Probably a case of the error being repeated around the world but who's to say who got it wrong first.

The official site originally listed Kasparov as white, then changed to Anand as white. It isn't clear whether this was just a website error, a pairing error or a pairing that was changed under protest.

At one stage it appeared that Kasparov was going to be finishing the tournament with 3 blacks. I can't imagine he would have been happy with that state of affairs. This is no longer the case since both Anand-Kaspy games have switched colour.

Bill Gletsos
01-03-2005, 12:41 PM
The official site originally listed Kasparov as white, then changed to Anand as white. It isn't clear whether this was just a website error, a pairing error or a pairing that was changed under protest.

At one stage it appeared that Kasparov was going to be finishing the tournament with 3 blacks. I can't imagine he would have been happy with that state of affairs. This is no longer the case since both Anand-Kaspy games have switched colour.If you look at the pairing for the first 5 rounds you can esily determine that the pairing of Kasparov V Anand in Round 6 was in error and should have been Anand V Kasparov.

Effectively the players are numbered:
1. Anand
2. topalov
3. Leko
4. Kasimdzhanov
5. Vallejo
6. Kasparov
7. Adams

Then just use the Berger tables. ;)

skip to my lou
01-03-2005, 06:46 PM

Well you complained about people being able to see invisible people, so I took that feature out, and let them be invisible, while normal members cannot. If you didn't complain then I have no reason to make that change.

Garvinator
01-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Well you complained about people being able to see invisible people, so I took that feature out, and let them be invisible, while normal members cannot. If you didn't complain then I have no reason to make that change.
huh, i said that i want to be invisible and dont want other ppl, regardless of their membership status, to be able to see whether i am online or not. I still dont have an option to be invisible in my user cp.

skip to my lou
01-03-2005, 08:50 PM
huh, i said that i want to be invisible and dont want other ppl, regardless of their membership status, to be able to see whether i am online or not. I still dont have an option to be invisible in my user cp.

Yeah, so premium members can be invisible from everyone, except mods and admins.

Garvinator
01-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeah, so premium members can be invisible from everyone, except mods and admins.
you are making absolutely no sense at all :doh:

arosar
01-03-2005, 09:06 PM
It's simple gray. Wanna be invisibile? Pay up.

AR

Rhubarb
03-03-2005, 03:11 AM
It had to happen sooner or later even without Kramnik playing. Three boring-as-batschit draws. Oh well, time I got an early night. :eek:

Trent Parker
05-03-2005, 01:53 AM
OMG Kasim is beating Kaparov!!! Kaspy is an exchange down!!!!

Rhubarb
05-03-2005, 02:08 AM
It had to happen sooner or later even without Kramnik playing. Three boring-as-batschit draws. Oh well, time I got an early night. :eek:But three crackers last night and three more tonight. Top shelf stuff now, even as I write.

Rhubarb
05-03-2005, 02:14 AM
OMG Kasim is beating Kaparov!!! Kaspy is an exchange down!!!!But these positions are notoriously difficult. Fathead of course ditched the exchange on purpose. He figured it was his best option?

Trent Parker
05-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Makes for interesting play. That e pawn will cause Kasim trouble....

Rhubarb
05-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Makes for interesting play. That e pawn will cause Kasim trouble....Right, but on the other hand the d pawn will cause Gary trouble - if he spends too much time taking care of it, Kasim will destroy his Q-side with b3, a4 and then the exchange will count. The next couple of moves are critical.

Rhubarb
05-03-2005, 02:56 AM
Excellent stuff in Leko-Adams as well. Adams has gone for broke and there's no turning back - or even a getout perp ... prolly at least a getout perp.

Rhubarb
05-03-2005, 03:05 AM
Anand may be in real trouble with his Queen. Wouldn't be surprised if Topalov won this. Just played 27.c3!

Edit: I was sure Topalov would win this - how did Anand escape?

Rhubarb
05-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Looking back in retrospect with the benefit of hindsight I would have to say my (non-engined) assessments were spot on this round. But apart from TCN no one appears to give a flying fig. Perhaps it's better I should keep my opinions to myself.

Rincewind
05-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Right, but on the other hand the d pawn will cause Gary trouble - if he spends too much time taking care of it, Kasim will destroy his Q-side with b3, a4 and then the exchange will count. The next couple of moves are critical.

Nice win by Gary. If a Kasparov-Kazimdzhanov match never gets off the ground perhaps Linares '05 will go down as the default predictor as to how such a match might have gone. Will this game embody the result of a world championship match that never happened? Also, of course, is the fact that Gary will probably win Linares and Rustam is in wooden spoon contention.

What about Leko? Has he gone back into his shell in this event?

Rhubarb
05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Nice win by Gary. If a Kasparov-Kazimdzhanov match never gets off the ground perhaps Linares '05 will go down as the default predictor as to how such a match might have gone. Will this game embody the result of a world championship match that never happened? Also, of course, is the fact that Gary will probably win Linares and Rustam is in wooden spoon contention.Knowing Kasparov, he'll be satisfied but outwardly displeased with only 1.5/0.5 against Kasimdzhanov. Anand is no match for Fathead in such a mood - and I'm still amazed that Anand escaped with a draw against Topalov. He was dead for all money.

What about Leko? Has he gone back into his shell in this event?Back to normal condition.

Garvinator
05-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Looking back in retrospect with the benefit of hindsight I would have to say my (non-engined) assessments were spot on this round. But apart from TCN no one appears to give a flying fig. Perhaps it's better I should keep my opinions to myself.
I care and have been watching, just that your analysis is likely to be more accurate than mine ;)

pballard
07-03-2005, 04:41 PM

I appreciate your comments, but don't expect me to follow the games in real time! If you want to chat with other kibitzers while the games are in progress, you might want to try an international site; e.g. there's a bit of discussion on the (free) chessninja.com boards each night.

Alan Shore
07-03-2005, 08:23 PM
That official site is dodgy, it's always down when I click the link to it...

Trent Parker
07-03-2005, 11:13 PM
the other night i went to the official site and listened to chess.fm. It was very good. very informative

Rhubarb
08-03-2005, 06:40 AM
I appreciate your comments, but don't expect me to follow the games in real time! :) It's all cool, pb. I just felt a little silly talking to myself on this thread in the middle of the night. I've since gone back to normal sleep patterns due to work and chess so I won't be watching any of the rest of it live either. Still a lot of interest with 3 rounds to go though, with Anand moving to within a point. I was thinking that Fathead may still be highly motivated - if he gets say 2.5/3 and goes to 9/12 it would be one of the highlights in a career jampacked with them.

pax
08-03-2005, 09:26 AM

Plenty people give a fig, just not at 4am :eek:

pax
08-03-2005, 09:28 AM
I was thinking that Fathead may still be highly motivated - if he gets say 2.5/3 and goes to 9/12 it would be one of the highlights in a career jampacked with them.

No way. With blacks against Adams and Topalov and White against Anand, 2.5 is hugely unlikely. Myself, I'm punting for Anand to outplay Kasparov with the black pieces and prove who's the king once and for all (well we can dream)..

pballard
08-03-2005, 09:36 AM
:) It's all cool, pb. I just felt a little silly talking to myself on this thread in the middle of the night. I've since gone back to normal sleep patterns due to work and chess so I won't be watching any of the rest of it live either. Still a lot of interest with 3 rounds to go though, with Anand moving to within a point. I was thinking that Fathead may still be highly motivated - if he gets say 2.5/3 and goes to 9/12 it would be one of the highlights in a career jampacked with them.

Hmm... GK's remaining draw is Black against Adams, White against Anand and Black against Topalov. They'd all be hard to win. I predict 3 Lekos. (Though if Topalov beats Kasim and/or Pons, he might push too hard in the last round). Actually both Anand and Topalov still have a faint chance to catch him: Anand has white v Pons, Black v Kasparov, white v Adams (good chance of 2/3, some chance of 2.5); Topalov has white v FIDE lottery winner and black v Pons before white v Kasparov in the last round. I'm hoping Anand and Topalov both push hard and win tonight, because it gets interesting, not to mention the good chess those guys are capable of delivering.

pballard
09-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Hmm... GK's remaining draw is Black against Adams, White against Anand and Black against Topalov. They'd all be hard to win. I predict 3 Lekos. (Though if Topalov beats Kasim and/or Pons, he might push too hard in the last round). Actually both Anand and Topalov still have a faint chance to catch him: Anand has white v Pons, Black v Kasparov, white v Adams (good chance of 2/3, some chance of 2.5); Topalov has white v FIDE lottery winner and black v Pons before white v Kasparov in the last round. I'm hoping Anand and Topalov both push hard and win tonight, because it gets interesting, not to mention the good chess those guys are capable of delivering.

So much for my powers of prediction! (I got 1/3 last night: Kasparov + Topalov won in good style; Anand was lucky to draw)

pax
09-03-2005, 01:17 PM
No way. With blacks against Adams and Topalov and White against Anand, 2.5 is hugely unlikely. Myself, I'm punting for Anand to outplay Kasparov with the black pieces and prove who's the king once and for all (well we can dream)..

I take it all back. When Adams is in a suicidal mood, anything can happen.

Of course Kasparov will still likely be short of his great Linares performances of the 1990's (+7 in 92 93 and 99, and +6 from 11 games in 97). And I can't see anybody ever repeating Karpov's unbelievable +9 (four draws) in 94 (when he was supposed to be well past his best).

Alan Shore
11-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Um...

What the hell was Kaspy thinking in that game against Topalov? I've seen little girls play better!

I looked at the game and thought, 'Surely this is an error.. this can't be the right game'? Yet, t'was... most peculiar.

Recherché
11-03-2005, 12:55 PM
He blamed 'last-game-ever' pressure, which is pretty understandable.

Bradman scored a (golden?) duck in his last innings. I'm sure there are other similar examples.