PDA

View Full Version : New Australians with FIDE ratings

firegoat7
22-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Hello,

What is the current practise for the ACF?

Does it accept a FIDE rating from an overseas player as being legitimate, thus incorporating it into the current system.

Or does it measure the new players performance against local players first before giving them a rating?

IMO if the ACF is operating on the premise that it wants its rating system to be comparable to FIDEs then it ought to operate on the former not the later.

I ask this question because a new local player called Pecak has a fide between 2050 and 2100 and yet he seems to be recognised as being unrated initially.

Cheers FG7

JGB
22-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Good question FG7, Im in the same boat myself.
I expect not to achieve a rating until I have completed so many Australian rated games though, as it is a seperate system and not really comparable to the ELO system.

pax
23-02-2005, 11:44 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1554

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Hello,

What is the current practise for the ACF?

Does it accept a FIDE rating from an overseas player as being legitimate, thus incorporating it into the current system.

Or does it measure the new players performance against local players first before giving them a rating?

IMO if the ACF is operating on the premise that it wants its rating system to be comparable to FIDEs then it ought to operate on the former not the later.As I said elsewhere if a player is new to the ACF list but has a FIDE rating then their current FIDE rating is used. The RD used for a player is assigned by me depending on a number of factors. e.g. how many total games, how recent was their activity and how many recent games.

I ask this question because a new local player called Pecak has a fide between 2050 and 2100 and yet he seems to be recognised as being unrated initially.On what do you base this comment as Pecak is not on the Decemebr 2004 list at all, since the first event he played in is only being rated this period.

His current FIDE rating is 2078 (the highest it ever has been) but he has not played a FIDE rated game since the Jan 2000 list and as such it isnt exactly reliable.

Note however that your comment that ACF wants its rating system to be comparable to FIDEs isnt entirely accurate. Yes we would like total parity between the two systems but given the problems with the FIDE system this isnt achievable across the whole of the rating range so we settle for partial parity. As such parity below about 2200 isnt an aim.

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Good question FG7, Im in the same boat myself.
I expect not to achieve a rating until I have completed so many Australian rated games though, as it is a seperate system and not really comparable to the ELO system.You are already on the ACF master file from back in 1996.

firegoat7
23-02-2005, 11:45 PM
As I said elsewhere if a player is new to the ACF list but has a FIDE rating then their current FIDE rating is used. The RD used for a player is assigned by me depending on a number of factors. e.g. how many total games, how recent was their activity and how many recent games.

On what do you base this comment as Pecak is not on the Decemebr 2004 list at all, since the first event he played in is only being rated this period.

His current FIDE rating is 2078 (the highest it ever has been) but he has not played a FIDE rated game since the Jan 2000 list and as such it isnt exactly reliable.

Note however that your comment that ACF wants its rating system to be comparable to FIDEs isnt entirely accurate. Yes we would like total parity between the two systems but given the problems with the FIDE system this isnt achievable across the whole of the rating range so we settle for partial parity. As such parity below about 2200 isnt an aim.

So a player rated Fide 2078 would initially have a rating of ACF 2078, yes or no.

If no what would it actually be?

Are your guidelines of total games, activity and recency, official documented ACF guidelines?

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2005, 11:48 PM
So a player rated Fide 2078 would initially have a rating of ACF 2078, yes or no.Comprehension obviously isnt your strong point. The answer is clearly yes

Are your guidelines of total games, activity and recency, official documented ACF guidelines?No. Its at the Rating Officers discretion.

firegoat7
23-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Comprehension obviously isnt your strong point. The answer is clearly yes
No. Its at the Rating Officers discretion.

Aren't you completely contradicting yourself? One minute you say its their current fide rating then you say calculated at the rating officers discretion?

Its either one or the other isn't it?, or do you really use both systems?

Bill Gletsos
24-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Aren't you completely contradicting yourself?Not at all. You clearly have a comprehension problem.

One minute you say its their current fide rating then you say calculated at the rating officers discretion?

Its either one or the other isn't it?, or do you really use both systems?It is abundantly clear from what I have said above that their initial ACF rating equals their FIDE rating.
It is also abundantly clear that with regards to total games, activity and recency their initial RD based on those is at my discretion.

JGB
24-02-2005, 12:03 AM
You are already on the ACF master file from back in 1996.

Say what? Did I even play a game of tournament chess back then? I assume I am the only 'JGB', is there a rating associated with my name? What relevance does this possible rating have when it is almost 10 years old?

Bill Gletsos
24-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Say what? Did I even play a game of tournament chess back then? I assume I am the only 'JGB', is there a rating associated with my name?The system has a rating associated with your name but it is unpublished as you have less than 9 games total.

What relevance does this possible rating have when it is almost 10 years old?Once rated always rated. ;) Your RD however is the maximum.

firegoat7
24-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Not at all. You clearly have a comprehension problem.
It is abundantly clear from what I have said above that their initial ACF rating equals their FIDE rating.
It is also abundantly clear that with regards to total games, activity and recency their initial RD based on those is at my discretion.

Yes I had a comprehension problem. Thank you for being so patient.

Bill Gletsos
24-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Yes I had a comprehension problem.I wasnt really sure if that was the case or if you were just being deliberately difficult. :hmm:

Thank you for being so patient.No problem.

Garvinator
24-02-2005, 12:26 AM
fg7,

Can you please add some emoticons in your text please? It just helps to remove confusion sometimes about whether a person is being serious or not.

Cat
24-02-2005, 06:36 AM

And there's all us thinking it was all mathematical and everything. Gee, I feel so much better now knowing its all done at your discretion. Maybe instead of RD it should be BD (Bill's Discretion) for those players?

typically then ; eg Alex Wohl 2400+ with a BD of maybe, what, zero shall we say?

Cat
24-02-2005, 06:37 AM
fg7,

Can you please add some emoticons in your text please? It just helps to remove confusion sometimes about whether a person is being serious or not.

Come on Garvin, your old enough to read without pictures, aren't you? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Bill Gletsos
24-02-2005, 08:48 AM
And there's all us thinking it was all mathematical and everything. Gee, I feel so much better now knowing its all done at your discretion. Maybe instead of RD it should be BD (Bill's Discretion) for those players?As usual you demonstrate what a complete idiot you are.
We are talking here about players who are new to Australia with FIDE ratings. They need to have an initial RD set. The rating Officers get to determine what this is.

typically then ; eg Alex Wohl 2400+ with a BD of maybe, what, zero shall we say?Totally irrelevant and misleading.
The topic being discussed by fg7 has absolutely nothing to do with Alex who is an Australian player who has long been on the ACF master file. As such he is not new to the list and his FIDE rating and an initial RD has no bearing on the discussion.

pax
24-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Say what? Did I even play a game of tournament chess back then? I assume I am the only 'JGB', is there a rating associated with my name? What relevance does this possible rating have when it is almost 10 years old?

Apparently you played 3 rated games in Victoria.

Your old rating (being ??) will have very little bearing on your new rating. I expect that your new rating (like mine) will be very close to your performance rating in the first period you play, if not equal.

Bill Gletsos
24-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Apparently you played 3 rated games in Victoria.You have read the master file incorrectly. He played 6 games. The 3g means he needs 3 more rated games to get a published rating.

JGB
24-02-2005, 10:31 AM
You have read the master file incorrectly. He played 6 games. The 3g means he needs 3 more rated games to get a published rating.

Wait, everyone here knows more about how many games I played than I do... I guess as a 17 or 18 year old school kid you dont keep track of how many games you play (well I didnt)... although im sure they are all losses back then? How can I find this out? So if I botch a few more games now I could go into The Doeberl or Ballarat comps with a rating of about 1000!! :D :cool: ... this has potential! :clap:

...wait its too late, I played in the MCC weekeneder, so Bill I should have a provisional rating now or soon?

Bill Gletsos
24-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Wait, everyone here knows more about how many games I played than I do...Others can tell only because you have a 3g next to your name in the master file list.

I guess as a 17 or 18 year old school kid you dont keep track of how many games you play (well I didnt)... although im sure they are all losses back then? How can I find this out? So if I botch a few more games now I could go into The Doeberl or Ballarat comps with a rating of about 1000!! :D :cool: ... this has potential! :clap:

...wait its too late, I played in the MCC weekeneder, so Bill I should have a provisional rating now or soon?You will have a published rating in the March list.